Watch: Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Trailer

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Watch: Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Trailer

BioWare finally shows off Mass Effect Andromeda gameplay.

At The Game Awards 2016 tonight, BioWare introduced a new gameplay trailer from upcoming Mass Effect: Andromeda, giving players the best look at the game to date.

The trailer features nearly five full minutes of gameplay, highlighting planet traversal and exploration, new gear, abilities, and, of course, combat. Also, Bioware confirmed that there will be crafting.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is set to release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in Spring 2017. Andromeda takes place well after the events of the earlier Mass Effect games, and gives players the choice between two siblings, Sarah or Scott Ryder.

Following the reveal, producer Michael Gamble took to Twitter to encourage fans to "pick it apart."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/804538743243706368]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Okay, I hate to be "that guy," but how the heck can an entire galaxy be short on resources? I mean, the Milky Way is big, like, really big, and the Andromeda galaxy is even bigger.

Also the voice acting...bleh.

Feel it's a bit telling that they're showing far more combat than dialogue, but, well, I can see it being good. If anything, I feel the trailer demonstrates that it should have been a new IP - feels more more of a space western in areas, whereas Mass Effect has been more akin to space opera up to this point.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
Is this just going to be the thing with Bioware now? Big empty worlds with nothing in them just to pad the run time?

God damn it, I loved the Mass Effect Series, and liked Dragon Age and even Dragon Age 2, but Inquisition was absolute garbage. You're not Assassins creed, you're not Far Cry, I don't want to be doing somebody elses chores in your world. Stop with the exploration garbage Bioware, you're not good at it.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Looks like it went full shooter :( I remember when Mass Effect was an RPG

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
So this is the thing for everyone who gives a fuck about what happen before.

I am only watched the trailer to see how it fails. 'Exploring' an galaxy far far away that has obviously been explored and colonized
by others long before and those are obviously mostly Korgan and Turians and the other King of the Hill human?

And factions...

...and probably a big mysterious all-threatening entity at the end.

Where have I seen all this before?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Oh look.. its garrus 2.0... and wrex 2.0... and more mmo features... who didnt thought that gathering materials was fundamental to the enjoyment of Dragon age inquisition afterall right?

Atleast the fighting looks decent.. but then again how could anyone at this point mess up generic third person shooter mechanics right?

Still not buying thought... manheir is still onboard...

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
......Yep, gonna need a new video card for my irthday I think. Does anyone recognise who's doing Sarah Ryder's voice?

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
OK, I was bored the whole time, most of characters look both unsympathetic and uncharismatic, settings shown all look uninspired and recycled. I really see no potential in this one. Just an entirely commercialized platform for selling dlc and pumping money through boxes in multiplayer.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Pretty slick, but I'm really not in the mood for more open world games. I hope the setting justifies it, but I'm more interested in writing and meaningful exploration, not cross-country collectathons.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
The combat, a hybrid between warframe and destiny.
The open enviroments and investigations, straight outa witcher 3.
Planet hopping for resources to scan/collect, no man's sky.
The awful lipsync and vapid expressions, any bioware game.

In all seriousness though less that jest rustle too many jimmies, the gameplay less rpg and more frentic shooter actualy looks quiet fun for a change, less hugging walls and more darting about jetpack power punching dudes in the face. I'd be down for that if i had any investment at all in the franchise.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Words cannot describe how much I don't give a flying fuck about this game. In fact I hate that it exists. I still think it's disgusting that they couldn't find a way to make a game set in our own galaxy. There's so much to it, it's a shame that we've only had three games and yet we didn't get to explore 1% of it. I wanted to walk around futuristic Earth, I wanted to visit Palaven, Thessia, to explore more of The Citadel and Omega etc. But no. Because of Bioware's shitty writing this is what we get.

Seishisha said:
The awful lipsync and vapid expressions, any bioware game.
It actually looks worse because the graphics are more realistic. Vapid expressions could have been forgiven last gen but this is a whole new level of uncanny valley. It's so bizarre.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Words cannot describe how much I don't give a flying fuck about this game. In fact I hate that it exists.
Self contradiction city to your left folks. Seriously Adam how depressing must the world be to you? I don't think I've ever seen a post from you that doesn't sum up in "faith in humanity gone."

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Adam Jensen said:
Words cannot describe how much I don't give a flying fuck about this game. In fact I hate that it exists.
Um...

Adam Jensen said:
I still think it's disgusting that they couldn't find a way to make a game set in our own galaxy. There's so much to it, it's a shame that we've only had three games and yet we didn't get to explore 1% of it. I wanted to walk around futuristic Earth, I wanted to visit Palaven, Thessia, to explore more of The Citadel and Omega etc. But no. Because of Bioware's shitty writing this is what we get.
Unless they arbitrarily selected an ending from Mass Effect 3, or set it insanely far into the future, I'm not sure how it could take place in the Milky Way. Not unless it was a prequel or something.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Hawki said:
Unless they arbitrarily selected an ending from Mass Effect 3, or set it insanely far into the future, I'm not sure how it could take place in the Milky Way. Not unless it was a prequel or something.
What's wrong with a prequel? Does every Bioware game have to revolve around you being the chosen one to save everyone from every threat in existence? They could have made a game with much smaller, personal stakes. They could have made a game about a smuggler, C-Sec officer, assassin, thief etc. There's infinite possibilities and an infinite amount of prequels that could take place anywhere between any of the three games.

Kreett said:
Seriously Adam how depressing must the world be to you? I don't think I've ever seen a post from you that doesn't sum up in "faith in humanity gone."
I have next to no faith in AAA industry. Why would I? As for humanity, have you taken a look at the world lately? Not to get all political, but when someone like Donald Trump can become the president of the most powerful nation on Earth, there isn't much to be optimistic about. Except for Cyberpunk 2077.

Kreett said:
Self contradiction city to your left folks.
Yeah, I could have worded that a little better. I'm just flabbergasted at the stupidity of ME:A concept.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The combat looks way too open to be fun. And nice to see animations and voice acting is still garbage.

But I can't deny it has my interest.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I get tired of saying this, but just because EA created a studio and slapped the name BioWare Montreal on it, doesn't make it BioWare.

And it shows. From the fine folks who made the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, written by Mac Walters.