Watch Now: Suicide Squad Comic-Con 2015 Trailer

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
rosac said:
Deadshot is Will Smith
Fine, but why is Will Smith not John Stewart.

He should really be John Stewart, bald head, goatee and all.

I'm not sure what to make of this, it looks interesting (and Leto looks like he'll make an excellent Joker) but DC's strike rate is extremely poor with anything that isn't Batman. But then again this clearly features Batman, so maybe it'll be good, but Will Smith should really be John Stewart.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Spring Breakers Joker has me sad. Harely looks okay i like the actress she could pull it off. The rest is pretty meh over all

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
Plinglebob said:
Regarding the release of the trailer and WB's comment, there's part of me that finds it a little odd that they'd want to stop people from seeing their advertising. On something effects heavy I could understand (additional polish before public release), but don't see that as an issue here.
The way I see it, it's in order to make exlusive content (for the benefit of the con) and to build up hype for those who don't see it.
And as Arkham Knight teaches us: WB just loves dealing with exclusive content. :p

endtherapture said:
And people wonder why people always say this forum is a hive for Marvel fanboys *rollseyes*
Thomas Barnsley said:
the Snyder grimdark edginess I felt in the trailer has been grossly overshadowed by the hype-crushing edginess of my fellow escapists. Great job guys!

I seriously cannot see how one cannot be excited for this! Why so serious?! You must be trying or something...
My issue has nothing to do with the trailer, actually. Honestly: I think the trailer looks pretty sweet. But I also know that trailers for both games and movies can be incredibly misleading.

This movie already has one major flaw that forces me to believe it won't be any good: the roster's too big.

This means there will either be serious pacing issues as half the team gets wiped out in a matter of minutes (figuratively speaking), or none of the characters will have anywhere near the proper amount of time to get worthy development.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
See they did give the joker all the stupid tattoos!

TOLD YOU SO ESCAPIST

I'm sorry I just wanted my damn points for that discussion we had months ago, it feels good to be right.

And that Actress for HQ may sort of look the part in a nouveaux manner but her voice is terrible.

When the trailer started I sort of had a good feeling, but it just started dropping very quickly.

Bad picks in casting and design may damn this movie.

Final note:
Will Smith seems to be too much in the spotlight, now I like me some Will Smith, but this just doesn't feel right.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
endtherapture said:
Leto is channelling too much Ledger and not enough Hamill.

Bet Joker is the bad guy.
Hmmm. I'm 50/50 on the character of the Joker from this. Who is the joker to sit in someone's chair and let them put tattoos on him? Unless he did them himself - that would be different/more interesting. I could see him being all cut up and covered in scars, though. That would be pretty scary. I won't fault him for his method of whom to follow for portraying the character. I love Hamill's joker, but that's admittedly just a voice. I imagine performing visually, in front of the camera is informing a lot of his/and the director's artistic decisions in ways that are different from ADR work.

*Rant Incoming* I saw 30 Seconds to Mars concert once whilst overseas. Leto is an ass hole. Kanye's concert shenanigans don't even come close - just more publicised. After seeing the way he openly insulted the people that paid money to see him, I have a hard time with the idea of supporting anything he is a part of. He's skilled and talented for sure - and I think he will play the part convincingly. But he is a monumental ass hole. His concert got very, very uncomfortable. My friends who were native to the area strongly considered leaving. He toned it down after some people in the audience apparently let him know they were getting sick of it. I don't know why he seemingly thought noone in the audience could understand English or why he did any of the bullshit he did at the show. At the end, noone was begging for an encore. *END RANT*

Additionally, any time the title of the film is forced into an awkward line of dialogue - it's not a good sign of strong writing.

HOWEVER, Harley Quinn. She's going to pull a Hulk and steal the whole movie (and no I'm not a fan boy - the second Avengers movie was shit, except for Vision - he was awesome). And she seems to be perfectly cast. If I see it, it will be solely because of what the previews have shown of her performance. That's an extremely strong statement - that I want to see this movie now in spite of that Leto fucker.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, I kinda like Amanda Waller. She's not the skinny Supermodel New 52 had, which may sound odd, but I find to be a plus.

Overall, I couldn't really tell who was who in this movie. Had to look up the IMDB page to ID a few of them. So I guess that monstrous guy is Killer Croc. An odd choice, but I dig it. Feels like the Squad is a bit heavy on Batman Rogue Gallery, though. Was kinda hoping he was King Shark like in the animated film.

Harley looks okay. Couldn't really tell in the trailer much about her character, though. So I'll pass judgement on her performance for now. Though, looks like she has some tattoos which I'm not a fan of. Sure, it makes sense with the Joker, but still.

Oh, Batman is in this movie. I guess we know why Killer Croc is here. Was honestly hoping this movie wouldn't have any heroes in it.

Was that cackle the Joker's laugh? Oh... that's... a thing... in the trailer. Yeah, not gonna lie, this trailer didn't convince me that Jared Leto is going to be a good Joker. He just lacks the charisma that Joker requires.

On the plus side, Will Smith is in this movie. And he's playing Deadshot. I'm not sure he's the right choice for Deadshot, but I don't care. Will Smith is a great charismatic actor, so he should make this movie a bit more watchable.

Overall, I'm sort of mixed on this movie. Hopefully, we'll see more and I'll be able to better judge this movie in time. I'd like to see more of the actors in character to get an idea if they are fitting the roles or not. That's half the reason to see this movie. To see the characters play off each other. If they can't get that right, there's no reason to watch it.

endtherapture said:
And people wonder why people always say this forum is a hive for Marvel fanboys *rollseyes*

Harly Quinn looks incredible.
To be fair. The Marvel movies are at least entertaining. So far the DC movies are... bad.

I mean did you see Man of Steel? That movie is fucking awful. The CG was so bad (literally there are video game models that look better) and overused that I'd believe Goku was in those scenes before Superman. I damn near fell asleep during the second act, and I never do that watching movies.

I mean I tried to give it a chance. It even had some scenes and moments I liked, basically every early scene of Superman saving people, but that was all brought down by a just plain objectively bad movie. Only the biggest fanboy or most ignorant movie goer could forgive that terrible movie. And that's one of the better movies other than the Dark Knight movies.

Say what you will, but the worst Marvel movies still entertained me. It takes more than darkness and edge to be mature. I feel like DC is stuck in some teenage mindset about what is mature and misses actual maturity as a result. Comedic relief isn't childish, but thinking Man of Steel was mature sure is.

I wouldn't call the Escapist Marvel Fanboy territory. I'd say that DC needs to prove itself by making a good movie. I'm still waiting on it. And judging by the Batman V Superman trailer, I expect to continue waiting.

Their animated films have actually been fairly good, though.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
My Thoughts:
Joker might still be good, anyone remember Ledger being called a bad choice for the role before release.

Harley Quinn is going to be a show stealer, just quirky enogh without alienating non-comic readers as I think she's (only just) obscure enough that most cinema goers won't notice anything being off about the design.

Killer Croc looks crap (sorry). I didn't even realise that was supposed to be him till reading these comments.

Will Smith seems to be getting set up as a hero and that annoys me as Deadshot is not anywhere near heroic (that i know of, not read is comics, only know him from other media sources)

And the other members err... exist, this needs some character trailers damnit.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Overall this trailer has done more for me wanting to see this movie than all other publicity before this. I have to say though, that is possibly the least scary Joker I have ever seen. I just want to smack him and be on my way. but the rest of the trailer is pretty good.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Dominic Crossman said:
My Thoughts:
Joker might still be good, anyone remember Ledger being called a bad choice for the role before release.
This, i personally think Leto nailed it here, we have only seen 1 scene, i think we need to see more before we say he "Doesn't suit the role"

I honestly loved this trailer and can;t wait to see more.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Looks kinda... cheap. Reminds me of the trailers for that Fantastic 4 movie that's supposedly coming out.

Harley and Joker actually both look pretty cool. (Yes, I know his tattoos are dumb, I don't really care.)

Mini-Croc in a hoodie is just dumb.

I have no idea who anybody else is.

I've seen worse, but I don't think they're going as all-out as they need to with such an inherently goofy premise.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Too much Harley not enough Joker I am hoping that the next trailer shows off Leto's Joker some more. Until then I'm not completely sold on this film yet. Whether or not the Joker is good will make or break this film imo.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
It feels like a pretty small trailer overall, which isn't inherently a bad thing. Just that there's not a lot to go on at this stage. I like the parts that look good though at least, redundant much redundant, and I like them enough to forgive how just... there the rest of it is.

While I'm not overly familiar with Waller, there's a good sense of being the 'immovable object' that I really like. If they really run further with the fun parts of Harley we should have something pretty special here. I'm getting a good feeling about Margot Robbie, she just sorta looks right. And Letto seems to have the voice pretty damn nailed at least. The tattoos are probably a bit much sure, but at least the color pallet looks spot on. I had no idea how much I missed having a Joker who's hair was just fucking /green/.

There aren't much more then hints, but at least they're kinda promising hints as long as they keep running with them.

Plus I almost completely didn't recognize Jai Courtney and I don't know why I find that so amusing. I mean, he wasn't unwatchable in Terminator, so... that's something, I guess.

Saltyk said:
I mean did you see Man of Steel? That movie is fucking awful. The CG was so bad (literally there are video game models that look better) and overused that I'd believe Goku was in those scenes before Superman. I damn near fell asleep during the second act, and I never do that watching movies.

I mean I tried to give it a chance. It even had some scenes and moments I liked, basically every early scene of Superman saving people, but that was all brought down by a just plain objectively bad movie. Only the biggest fanboy or most ignorant movie goer could forgive that terrible movie. And that's one of the better movies other than the Dark Knight movies.

Say what you will, but the worst Marvel movies still entertained me. It takes more than darkness and edge to be mature. I feel like DC is stuck in some teenage mindset about what is mature and misses actual maturity as a result. Comedic relief isn't childish, but thinking Man of Steel was mature sure is.
I hate to be that asshole, but I liked it. No it wasn't perfect, but I actually really liked it.

I can give you what would probably end up being a rather long analysis of why I liked it if you really wanted and I really felt like it, so I'd hardly call myself ignorant. And while I don't have anything against Superman I'd hardly call myself a fanboy, especially since one of the reasons I like Man of Steel was the way it addressed certain things about the character and the scenario that have always put me off.

So again, I hate to be this asshole who always has to bring this up, but therefor it's not objectively bad. You just didn't like it. And that's fine, go ahead and not like it. No one says you have to. But at least frame the argument differently. You aren't really doing yourself or anyone else any favors when it comes to the discussion and yeah, I'll admit it, it's kinda frustrating.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
RJ 17 said:
endtherapture said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
the Snyder grimdark edginess I felt in the trailer has been grossly overshadowed by the hype-crushing edginess of my fellow escapists. Great job guys!

I seriously cannot see how one cannot be excited for this! Why so serious?! You must be trying or something...
My issue has nothing to do with the trailer, actually. Honestly: I think the trailer looks pretty sweet. But I also know that trailers for both games and movies can be incredibly misleading.

This movie already has one major flaw that forces me to believe it won't be any good: the roster's too big.

This means there will either be serious pacing issues as half the team gets wiped out in a matter of minutes (figuratively speaking), or none of the characters will have anywhere near the proper amount of time to get worthy development.
Like I said to someone else; I think they really ARE there just to get wiped out, and as I said before, I think this is a GOOD thing. It's not a suicide mission if we don't see any heads blown off. It's like the Hunger Games, no one minds if half the contestants lose out on development because they're only around so they can be killed.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
As someone who has never been much of a Joker fan, I am really sick of the guy.

Mar 26, 2008
I agree that is seems like Harley will steal the show. She'll become the "Wolverine" of the DC cinematic universe and get over-exposed and elevated above the significance of her comic book counterpart. I'm not saying she's insignificant, but I can see her easily overshadowing the Joker, much like Jackman's Wolverine overshadowed Marsden's Cyclops (you know, the LEADER of the X-men).

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
I agree that is seems like Harley will steal the show. She'll become the "Wolverine" of the DC cinematic universe and get over-exposed and elevated above the significance of her comic book counterpart. I'm not saying she's insignificant, but I can see her easily overshadowing the Joker, much like Jackman's Wolverine overshadowed Marsden's Cyclops (you know, the LEADER of the X-men).
So exactly like Wolverine in the comics?
Wolverine is by far the most overexposed X-man. He's always crossing over into other books too.

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
I just had one reaction to this trailer and it went thusly:

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Killer Croc looks better than I expected, but he's still way too dang small. I know they didn't want him to be all CGI, but couldn't they have gotten someone like Nathan Jones (7'0, 351 lbs) or Haftor Bjornsson (6'9, 419 lbs) to play him? Someone who actually looks monstrously huge and strong?

Harley Quinn looks pretty dang good.

The problem I see is that none of the action looks that impressive (though it is just a trailer) and it just seems so dour and serious. These are Batman's villains, they're supposed to be the ones having fun while Batman is dark and gloomy and serious all the time.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
DeepReaver said:
Frankly, to me it looks like this movie is going to be an over-hyped mess that could do with about 5-6 less characters and plot points.
Quite possibly. I feel like they could have cut the squad in half and it would have been fine. Honestly that's probably still possible. Like, who even are these guys besides Joker, Harley and Killer Croc? I sure don't care about them. It's entirely possible that they wipe out the redshirts in act 2 and the main members of the squad have to pick up the pieces and finish things out.

Really though, the success or failure of this movie depends on the Joker. I do kind of like that they're trying something different. Being different worked with Ledger's Joker, and I don't know if the more traditional Hamil Joker would really fit in the DC movies' grimdark brown and gray universe. Whether or not it's *too* different though, or if the actor just doesn't have the chops to pull it off, that's the big wildcard.

Also, Harley is super important too. If she and the Joker don't have the right chemistry, it isn't gonna work. The trainwreck murder-clown abusive romance of theirs was always some of the best banter and character interaction in the old animated series (and Arkham Asylum, which is really just a videogame sequel to the animated series anyway, in my book).