Watch Now: Suicide Squad Comic-Con 2015 Trailer

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
My take: So far, it's about as good as my cautious optimism is allowing.

Amanda Waller: Arguably one of my favorite characters in DC, I'm disappointed that they opted for a slimmer actor for the character, but she isn't stick-thin and certainly appears to have some gravitas when she speaks.

The Prison/Cage: This area, which appears in many portions of the trailer and is outdoors, seems to be the place where they are forced to gather. It's interesting that Quinn is placed in the center as opposed to the others, as she is the least physically dangerous of the characters so far. Speaking of which:

Harley Quinn: This is an interesting take on the character, and the first real deviation from the character that was started in the Batman Animated Series (there are some one-shot versions of her, my personal favorite being a dreaded version in a Arkham side story) but none really made a serious change in the character. She's clearly the star of the trailer and, while not the leader, may end up being the team's moral compass. Points in the trailer seem to plot the emotional instability she has and possibly a focus on her origin.

El Diablo: Given there's multiple versions of this character [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Diablo_(comics)], I'm curious as to how he will be portrayed. The skull tattoos suggest ex-cartel, possibly as the carrier of the demon.

Will Smith Deadshot: Will Smith's recent roles have had the problem of feeling like they were "Will Smith acting like X" rather than characters unto themselves. Deadshot might be a good fit for him as both cool-headed and arrogant, but it really will come up to the director, writer, and Smith himself to see if this becomes a character or another body suit. It does worry me that he appears to be taking a leadership role in the trailer, as well as the appearance of a daughter that might make him a bit too grounded, but we'll see soon enough.

Killer-Croc: Now, clearly they're not going with the 2.5 meter tall, 1.2 tonne version of the character in this version. The version they chose does appear to be very similar to the early grey and more humanoid killer-Croc from the early seasons of TAS, a version that had him much more human psychologically as well. Still, I'm disappointed in the relative lack of restraints visible when he is being moved, as strength is one of his key features.

Enchantress: The fact that this character is in this movie give me hope for where this is going, as magic and divinity are major parts of the DC universe that haven't been integrated into the cinematic universe successfully. It will be interesting to see what her powers will be, particularly if she has insight into a possessed El Diablo.

Katana: She's in the trailer, briefly, at 2:13 and about 2:20, as well as the walking scene. Nothing else to really say at this point.

Slipknot and Captain Boomerang: They appear to be more mercenary or eastern-European criminals than supervillains in this one.

The Joker: As tempting as it would be to have the Joker as a villain, I don't think he's the big bad we're going to be seeing (or, at least, he won't be the target of the Suicide Squad). Joker's escapades rarely get to Waller-level interest, but he's definitely the kind of person Waller would toss into a room because she was looking for a high body count. I can get a sense of a good chunk of the movie being just attempting to recruit him (likely as a strategist or having key information on the target). Leto's characterization appears to be interesting, trying to mix elements of Hamil's and Leger's version with a more sadistic psychopath bent sometimes seen in the darker Batman stories.

Plot: Not much on plot at this point, but lots of scenes that appear to be from the third act taking place in an empty downtown and lots of destruction of military equipment. Gotham, perhaps? Something big enough to trigger a serious military response without attracting Superman and the Justice League members.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
It looks fine, at the very least I'd watch it just for Harley since Robbie looks like she's really committing to the character and really gets that she's essentially a psycho fangirl. I'm gonna have to see more of Leto's Joker to get a handle on him, but considering the history of people whining about Joker casting before said casting became legendary I'm gonna reserve judgment due to pattern recognition. Plus from what I understand he isn't the main villain so he'll probably get away in the third act to torment the DC universe in the future. Viola Davis as Waller is working well, and it'll be interesting to see what Smith does as Deadshot (who is looking to be the center of the group as we do kinda need someone relatable to latch onto). As for the big cast, I assume we'll get an X-Men thing where some get more focus than others with probably a fatality or two (I can see El Diablo and Boomerang getting their heads blown off) since they're a literal suicide squad.

I think what really intrigues me is the tone. People throw "dark and gritty" around haphazardly, but how else are you gonna do a film about supervillains-as-foreign-legion? It either has to be so goofy it's essentially a spoof or hard-R madness. You can't really do any other tone.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Well I had zero interest in watching the film before and there's a glimmer of interest now, so net positive whoo! This is not just because Margot Robbie remains incomprehensibly pretty. Deadshot's costume looks silly cheap and, well, silly.

Probably won't be paying to see this in cinemas but that's not to say I won't sit down one day and check it out. Better than straight up avoiding it.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
rcs619 said:
DeepReaver said:
Frankly, to me it looks like this movie is going to be an over-hyped mess that could do with about 5-6 less characters and plot points.
Quite possibly. I feel like they could have cut the squad in half and it would have been fine. Honestly that's probably still possible. Like, who even are these guys besides Joker, Harley and Killer Croc? I sure don't care about them. It's entirely possible that they wipe out the redshirts in act 2 and the main members of the squad have to pick up the pieces and finish things out.

Really though, the success or failure of this movie depends on the Joker. I do kind of like that they're trying something different. Being different worked with Ledger's Joker, and I don't know if the more traditional Hamil Joker would really fit in the DC movies' grimdark brown and gray universe. Whether or not it's *too* different though, or if the actor just doesn't have the chops to pull it off, that's the big wildcard.

Also, Harley is super important too. If she and the Joker don't have the right chemistry, it isn't gonna work. The trainwreck murder-clown abusive romance of theirs was always some of the best banter and character interaction in the old animated series (and Arkham Asylum, which is really just a videogame sequel to the animated series anyway, in my book).
To be honest with you, I think the joker should not even be in this movie, his and Harley's relationship only add to the bloat that this movie seems to be under...

Beyond that however, the squad could be much smaller, they cut out important characters that should be there like Deathstroke, the plot seems to be all over the place with focus given you have Will Smithshot and his plot, Harley and Joker, The main plot of the movie as a whole, then the plots and little bits of the rest of the squad that would be required to flush them out. There are, in my mind, just too many characters to provide a proper spotlight on all of them in the time allowed.

Given the director they have as well, who is proven to be very good in smaller tighter stories al-la End of the Watch, this movie would have been better off as a miniseries... But who knows, it might be good i don't know yet, but everything from the costuming to the film style, the director choice, the choice in actors, etc etc, just points to a mess of a movie that i have little hope for.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I don't know which is trying harder to be edgy. This film's version of the Joker or the bitchy "mehs" from the Marvel fanboys.

Fuck's sake, the edge is so extreme around here that I might need stitches...

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Way less enthused than SvB mainly because I thought this was suppose to be a supervillan "fun" movie. Still it looks good for the actual movie it is and my expectations are suitably in the right direction now.

Also whilst I get kind of what DC are doing with this mainly prior source knowledge helps a lot. This movie would be way cooler if the minor villains were taken down during 10 mins pre-credit Bond-esque sequences before each DC movie over the next three or so years. Then they made this movie with them.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Vigormortis said:
I don't know which is trying harder to be edgy. This film's version of the Joker or the bitchy "mehs" from the Marvel fanboys.

It might even be topping the edginess of those pointing out how edgy everyone is being if they're not jizzing over the trailer.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I think it looks promising.

I don't really get all the Joker hate, I think Leto is going to be great.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
fenrizz said:
I don't really get all the Joker hate, I think Leto is going to be great.
1st rule of DC club is hate on anyone cast in iconic role

2nd rule of DC club is to say how great they were after the film comes out.

For previous outrage see Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway & Batfleck himself.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
The only reason I'm even remotely interested in seeing this is because it was shot all of a block from where I live, and when you can't walk down the street because Will Smith and a crashed plane are in the middle of the road it gets your attention. I'm not expecting this to be good, however. WB has consistently proven they can't make a a superhero movie without missing the point entirely, and that's when they only have to explain one character. Having to explain eight will result in an incoherent mess.

As for the Joker... he seems fine. I'll wait to see his performance before frothing at the mouth.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I'll be honest, I'm more likely to see this one than Dawn of Justice.

Another thing I've noticed about these DC movies, if the internet hates them I usually like them or at least I think they are ok & not "WORST MOVIE EVER" & the other way around.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
*sigh* You know the scarier they try to make the Joker the dumber the character actually gets. Just put him in a nicely tailored purple suit, get rid of those fucking tattoos and give him a crowbar. Keep the metal teeth because those are actually an okay addition and they make sense if this is a Joker who has already killed Jason Todd. Batman probably wouldn't leave the pearly whites intact, after all.

Harley looks like yet another boring rendition of the same crap they've been doing with her design. I guess I should be thankful she isn't a slutty nurse this time around? I wonder if they'll touch at all on the fact that she use to be a psychiatrist?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
endtherapture said:
And people wonder why people always say this forum is a hive for Marvel fanboys *rollseyes*
I know, right? Damn people for sincerely not being impressed by a generic 90s trailer.

Programmed_For_Damage said:
I agree that is seems like Harley will steal the show. She'll become the "Wolverine" of the DC cinematic universe and get over-exposed and elevated above the significance of her comic book counterpart. I'm not saying she's insignificant, but I can see her easily overshadowing the Joker, much like Jackman's Wolverine overshadowed Marsden's Cyclops (you know, the LEADER of the X-men).
Based on this trailer, she totally deserves it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:

If your edge lasts more than four hours, seek medical attention.

Trailer still does nothing for me, though.

Well, outside of Harley making me smile.

Ralancian said:
1st rule of DC club is hate on anyone cast in iconic role

2nd rule of DC club is to say how great they were after the film comes out.

For previous outrage see Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway & Batfleck himself.
Personally, I thought anyone would be an upgrade given the last film Joker was Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson in the Burton Batman.

Still not sold on Affleck as Kittenless Batman, though. On the plus side, I don't believe there's a chance in hell he could be worse than Clooney was.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
The Wall, Harley and Boomerbutt are working for me so far. Not sold on Joker yet. Will Smith is playing Will Smith, as usual.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Personally, I thought anyone would be an upgrade given the last film Joker was Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson in the Burton Batman.

Still not sold on Affleck as Kittenless Batman, though. On the plus side, I don't believe there's a chance in hell he could be worse than Clooney was.
I was being mainly tongue in cheek. One of my friends like to remind very often I was very sceptical of Ledger as the joker until I heard his voice in the original teaser. Still the level of internet outrage has become almost farcical and guaranteed Hathaway was brilliant Catowman (to the point she's quite honestly the best thing in the movie). Now it's the same thing all over again with Leto & Affleck.

Not to say people can't have legit concerns and I'm happy to hear them but most are pretty stupid.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
As someone not into comics... (before a certain movie, when I see a movie I dig up all the info on past stuff about hero/villain/happening)
Is this movie about several "smaller villains" (suicide squad) getting to work (against their will) together to take down a "bigger badguy" (the Joker)?
If it isn't... what is the premise in short?

Most likely will watch at some point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ralancian said:
I was being mainly tongue in cheek. One of my friends like to remind very often I was very sceptical of Ledger as the joker until I heard his voice in the original teaser. Still the level of internet outrage has become almost farcical and guaranteed Hathaway was brilliant Catowman (to the point she's quite honestly the best thing in the movie). Now it's the same thing all over again with Leto & Affleck.

Not to say people can't have legit concerns and I'm happy to hear them but most are pretty stupid.
It's a common thing to see. I've been accused of hating Chris Evans before Captain America (I didn't even pay attention to the Cap movie before it got good reviews), Ledger (who I thought had the range to pull it off) and Chris Hemsworth pre-Thor (who I didn't know from anything, and didn't notice he was Kirk's father in the Star Trek reboot) and so on. Still haven't seen DKR, but I like Anne Hathaway. I thought she was going to be awesome as 99 until I actually saw the Get Smart movie.

So yeah, it's hard to tell a joke from the serious accusations made by a good chunk of the internet.

And to be honest, I gave Affleck a chance in DD and I'll give him a chance here, but I'm one of those people who probably counts as legit concerns. I've always found Affleck to be a likable guy who has sort of a limited acting range. It's not even that he's bad, it's that I question his ability to play this character. And sweet Jesus, when he's staring at the Bat Duct-Tape suit, I am reminded of DD, but that's more an aside.

But yeah. I'm not outraged or anything. In part because I stopped caring years ago. If this Batman sucks, we'll have a reboot in five years. If this Joker sucks, they'll probably recast him. I mean, it would be nice to have a good Justice League movie since that hasn't been done before, but Batman and Superman are ones where I can go back and watch the ones I like.

The worst thing I can say about SS is that my response was...ehhhh. I don't hate it. And I did actually like Harley Quinn.

But I do have a lot of apprehension about both these movies.

Anyway, yeah, it's more that it's hard to tell tongue in cheek from serious ranting, I guess. The rest is me rambling because I have sworn off sleep.