Watch People Hilariously Misidentify Smash Bros Classic Characters

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
I love fire emblem but I looked forward to the utter black hole of confusion that occurred when the four relatively similar characters showed up "another knight?" pretty much sums up how most people see it, and "girl Marth" is technically correct.
Then the very next one was Shulk and I had no idea who it was.

I liked how many people got duck hunt too.

but smash bros has always been about discovering new characters alongside my favorites from other games, rather than just immediately recognizing everyone straight off the bat. without the original I would haven never played earthbound, starfox or F-zero, and each new iteration of smash expands my horizons further. (provided they don't just fill the roster with Mario, Pokemon and fire emblem characters).

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Okay, I'll admit I did not think I'd watch the whole thing.
I'd get em all, except for all the samey looking swordfighters. My best guess would be... Fire Emblem ;)

Damn, being on Nintey since game and watch/NES till Wii really paid off at least!!!
Oh wait, it already did all the times it made me happy/passed the time in those many, many years! :D

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Ahh, I remember booting up my old Ocarina of Time, and fondly looking back on it's lovable cast of characters, such as Zelda? Young Zelda, ... Zelda? and Some Irish Dude.

Seriously, I guess the good old Nintendo characters are just so ingrained into my brain that it's completely alien to me that someone wouldn't recognize Falco or King Dedede instantly.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Before watching: Oh boy, this is gonna be hilarious.
After: I was not disappointed. Shit was hilarious.

Zelda, Little Zelda, some Princess? I couldn't stop laughing.
Irish dude, Metroid, "that game where you constantly have to clean" for Villager, Black dude for Game and Watch, "are those even real character" for Shulk...

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
vid87 said:
I'm surprised more people know who Astro Boy, especially since he and Megaman have similar origins. Also, how is it everyone knows Legend of Zelda, but they don't know...Zelda?
Well Zelda is not in all the Legend of Zelda games and Link is almost never named Link as you usually name him when creating the save file. So I would guess the casual and non-gamer would easily get confused.

Aug 31, 2012
What's that? Random set of people don't have a particularly in depth knowledge of computer games? Yeah shocking and hilarious, my sides are fuckin splitting here. I couldn't identify many more than average and quite a lot fewer than some of them.

See my new video where people hilariously misidentify a set of characters from a bunch of obscure films while managing to identify those from well known blockbusters. Amazing!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
What's my reaction supposed to be? Ha-ha, he confused Kirby with Jigglypuff, what an ignoramus?

There's nothing terribly surprising, alarming or very funny about the video. It's exactly what I would expect if I was randomly walking up to people of all ages, race, sex and god knows what other cultural nomenclature, and ask them to identify every single fictional character, from most popular to most utterly obscure, in the history of a videogame publisher.

Mario, Sonic and Pac-Man have been around the longest, of course they're going to be the most recognized. And it's not just a seniority thing. These guys didn't just sell their games, they were the faces of entire generations of consoles. Pikachu is also one of the most marketed mascots in the world, everybody has seen and heard of him at least a thousand times in the past 15 years.

As for the rest... Fire Emblem characters never got to be that iconic. It's just generic dudes and dudettes in high fantasy armor. Same with most of the human cast of Smash Bros. Some other characters are really just bottom-of-the-barrel entries, like Pit and Falco, or random non-characters like the Wii Fit Trainer or that Tomodachi guy. Also, Rosalina? Princess Peach by any other name.

EssThree

Oct 6, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Mario, Sonic and Pac-Man have been around the longest, of course they're going to be the most recognized. And it's not just a seniority thing. These guys didn't just sell their games, they were the faces of entire generations of consoles. Pikachu is also one of the most marketed mascots in the world, everybody has seen and heard of him at least a thousand times in the past 15 years.
This. Nintendo has gotten pretty lousy at marketing the past few years. I feel like the original Wii succeeded DESPITE Nintendo's marketing efforts, not because. Even then, success is a subjective term in the Wii's case.

Nintendo has lost their ubiquity, and the only people who still care about these characters are adult gamers who loved them as kids, and those gamer's children.

plutoburns

Nov 19, 2014
The ones that bothered me the most were the friends of that one girl who was doing pretty well. They were all "How do you know this?" Ummm.... did you not know your friend played video games? Why is it shocking to you that she knows things about her leisure activity?

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Little do they know, comparing Samus to a Power Ranger is like comparing Bagon to Alduin.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
[HEADING=1]Yugioh![/HEADING]

I know that they both were cartoons about battling monsters but I died laughing nonetheless.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Yo, Nintendo! Any chance we can add Larry to the list? Sounds like a good idea to me!

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
This quote here... over and over and over.

I only got 14 of these characters, and with the exceptions of Pikachu and Diddy Kong, all of them were either created during my junior high years or rose to popularity during that time. For the record, that's '89 to '91. Of the 12 characters that existed during my childhood, I didn't even recognize the Duck Hunt dog until the people in the video identified him.

If the point of that video was to laugh at people misidentifying obscure (and often generic) characters as if those characters' identities were supposed to be obvious, then the point was lost on me.

One more thing: Black Man? BLACK MAN?! Best damn answer in the entire video! :D That guy deserves a cut of whatever profits the creators earned.

Pikeperch

May 3, 2010
I confess I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES (I've borrowed/played at friends' places, though), so I'm not really the target audience, but I don't understand why they have so many characters from Pokémon, as well as from fire emblem. Surely there are more interesting/iconic characters. I mean, they had ice climbers in the last one, didn't they? Maybe they could have a Belmont? A hockey player from Blades of Steel?
Then again, maybe people in general really like Pokémon.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I'm actually surprised that some people here think it's strange that these characters aren't universally known.

Of all these characters, the only one that's iconic even outside the gamer community is Mario, but if I'd ask my parents, they probably wouldn't even be able to name him.

Personally, almost the only characters I'd know for certain were the ones that featured in the first Smash Bros. Haven't touched a Nintendo game since and not many before. Never played any other game that featured Captain Falcon and I don't even know what Pit is from.

There's really nothing strange about this video.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Who's that? BABY EATER!" Well, that's a character I don't expect to see in a Nintendo game any time soon.

vid87 said:
I'm surprised more people know who Astro Boy, especially since he and Megaman have similar origins. Also, how is it everyone knows Legend of Zelda, but they don't know...Zelda?
Because the face of "The Legend of Zelda" is Link, not Zelda. The amount of people that call the guy "Zelda" is pretty huge. The only reason I knew the guy was Link was cuz my the first Zelda game I played was "Link's Awakening" and that starts with Link... waking up.

Forgot to add, even my Father knows who Astro boy is, considering how the cartoon was super old and the character's pretty iconic that doesn't surprise me much.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I didn't find it all that hilarious. This video should be retitled to "People who don't play many nintendo videogames don't recognise some nintendo videogame characters."