Watch Sega's Captain America Kick Nazis in the Neck

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
vallorn said:
Baldry said:
snipped for obvious reasons...
*clogs time and space hole with a rubix cube* We have until it solves the cube to figure out how to fix it!
il start the time welder i keep in the garage. might take a while though :s
Hurry you fool or we could have the last season of Doctor who problem on our hands!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
I got to see it in action today at Comic-Con and even spoke with a Senior Developer who was playing through it there. I have to say that this early in the game, it was looking pretty good. The combat seemed fluid enough and the set pieces were very cool. I even made a suggestion as far as actually making the game somewhat more difficult on the harder difficulties regarding the acrobatics/platforming. I'll see if he heard my gripe about games nowadays when the game is actually released (who knows, but hey it was worth a shot!).
Wow, you actually got to see it? Was it playable? It looks cool and I love the Cap, so I really want this to be a good game.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
The combat likes like a blast (if they copied it right that is). I don't really have much of impression on the very limited platforming they showed and I do like the idea of beating up super-nazis. Over all the trailer showed some interesting things, except for the very end. BULLSHIT! He can not withstand an tank shell. Now it's not that I doubt the shield strength it's the force behind the shell that should have sent him flying.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
Would I punch hitler in the face?

Because I would LOVED to recreate that moment.
If you end up beating the crap out of Hitler, I might have to buy the game. Also, I really want that cover on a t-shirt. *googles*

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
unabomberman said:
The game looks mighty stupid. How is it that he can parry a tank shot? He's captain america. That's how--fuck your forward momentum.

If Lords of Shadow seemed derivative by anyone's standards and that was a fully featured creation, well, what does that make this game? Not very lucky, that's what. Seems to me that the devs could have something on their hands were they not trying to make a franchise tie-in; the character design is there and the setting is there, but that's all I see so far.

The only real good cap game is the old NES one, so far, where StevO and his buddy Hawksters sidescrolled their way into nostalgic action greatness (damn, that was a good game). Doesn't seem likely to change an time soon.
The game looks interesting, I'm not big into the superhero thing, but I would give it a play when it comes out.
-------
Oh, on the Lords of Shadow thing, LoS is awesome. Though I am only 1/4th of the way through, it is turning out to be my favorite Castlevania game. People nit pick way to much on it, and they criticize it on comparisons that can't be used because they don't even fit. The only differences is that it isn't a 2d side scroller and they took some of the RPG elements out of it. Those factors can't be used to criticize it, as well as the comparison to God of War. Judge it on its merits, not with comparisons to other games.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Sonic Doctor said:
unabomberman said:
The game looks mighty stupid. How is it that he can parry a tank shot? He's captain america. That's how--fuck your forward momentum.

If Lords of Shadow seemed derivative by anyone's standards and that was a fully featured creation, well, what does that make this game? Not very lucky, that's what. Seems to me that the devs could have something on their hands were they not trying to make a franchise tie-in; the character design is there and the setting is there, but that's all I see so far.

The only real good cap game is the old NES one, so far, where StevO and his buddy Hawksters sidescrolled their way into nostalgic action greatness (damn, that was a good game). Doesn't seem likely to change an time soon.
The game looks interesting, I'm not big into the superhero thing, but I would give it a play when it comes out.
-------
Oh, on the Lords of Shadow thing, LoS is awesome. Though I am only 1/4th of the way through, it is turning out to be my favorite Castlevania game. People nit pick way to much on it, and they criticize it on comparisons that can't be used because they don't even fit. The only differences is that it isn't a 2d side scroller and they took some of the RPG elements out of it. Those factors can't be used to criticize it, as well as the comparison to God of War. Judge it on its merits, not with comparisons to other games.
I meant derivative in the way that it is derived from other games, not in the context of saying it is a bad one. Honestly, I think the game would have been better received by the critics and a good portion of the audience had it not carried the castlevania name. For some reason people think like that. The problem with the Cap game is that it looks like Prince of America, and it ain't likely to do much different other than being a straightforward action title with a dimished developed time.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Baldry said:
vallorn said:
Baldry said:
*clogs time and space hole with a rubix cube* We have until it solves the cube to figure out how to fix it!
Hurry you fool or we could have the last season of Doctor who problem on our hands!
its fixed though i had to patch it with bits of history. theirs a bit of Elvis in there for example and i just patched most of it with Brian Blessed... Oh sweet! i made a Wormhole!

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
vallorn said:
Baldry said:
vallorn said:
Baldry said:
its fixed though i had to patch it with bits of history. theirs a bit of Elvis in there for example and i just patched most of it with Brian Blessed... Oh sweet! i made a Wormhole!
*Facepalms* I'll be over there hoping to all possible Gods this doesn't come back in a bad way

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Mr.Pandah said:
I got to see it in action today at Comic-Con and even spoke with a Senior Developer who was playing through it there. I have to say that this early in the game, it was looking pretty good. The combat seemed fluid enough and the set pieces were very cool. I even made a suggestion as far as actually making the game somewhat more difficult on the harder difficulties regarding the acrobatics/platforming. I'll see if he heard my gripe about games nowadays when the game is actually released (who knows, but hey it was worth a shot!).
Wow, you actually got to see it? Was it playable? It looks cool and I love the Cap, so I really want this to be a good game.
Yup, I'll tell you more about it later, I'm heading back to Comic Con right now =)

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
VanityGirl said:
Mr.Pandah said:
So, I spoke with the Senior Designer of the game who was playing the demo they had for the show essentially non-stop since Friday. Right now, its in its Pre-Alpha stages, so the game still has a lot of kinks to work out. However, that doesn't mean the game is bad by any meaning of the word. I personally think it looks great. If I had to compare the combat to another game, it would definitely be Batman:Arkham Asylum for the fluidity of the combat alone. Dodging, combos, counters, grabs, all are very reminiscent of Batman's latest foray. Thankfully, the combat has been expanded enough to make it feel like more than just a carbon copy. The Cap throws in his shield into the combat enough to give it his own flavor. Literally, he throws his shield. And its awesome. I spoke with the designer about that a little more and he said they still plan to expand the combat more which is a relief. He said multi-lock with the shield throwing will be in the final version of the game which sounds awesome. Also, the shield can also be used, not only to just block, but deflect incoming projectiles. And that is as cool as it sounds. Have a ranged opponent shooting at you? Get the timing just right and you can nail that bullet right back into his skull. Its very, very fun to even just watch.

Moving away from the combat, the "platforming" sections essentially boil down to "hit A at the right time", but not in a QTE style. If you don't hit in time, your animation just changes to look nowhere near as cool. So instead of swinging from pole to pole, you'll swing to one pole and maybe perch yourself onto it or spin around on it one too many times. But if you hit A at the right times, you'll get through these with relative ease and amazing finesse that only the Captain's athletic abilities can really show off. Of course you have to hold the stick in that general direction of the object you're jumping to as well, but I believe thats a given.

All in all, I feel like the game is coming along very nicely and it will be on my radar for its slated release date in July of 2011. The script is actually original for the game and will not[/I] follow the movie's plot that will be released at the same time. With the smooth combat followed with slick animations all around, including the platforming/acrobatics, it looks fantastic, even in Pre-Alpha. The platforming is definitely needed though since it gives you some breathing room in between the combat. I look forward to seeing the rest of the game in its final form!

Hope this helps explain it to any of you Captain fans out there! I also played these games at Comic Con: Blood Stone 007, Goldeneye 007, Golden Sun, Donkey Kong Country Returns, MvC3, Red Dead Redemption: Undead DLC, and I think one other, but I can't remember it right now. If anybody wants, I'll make a thread and speak about whichever games you guys and gals want me to!