Watch Seven Minutes of Saints Row IV Shenanigans

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Chester Rabbit said:
Wow this is the most ADD game I have ever seen.
Oh! And put a mech in it!
OH! And give him super powers!
OH OH! And Aliens!
OH and MONSTER TRUCKS!
Why? Because FUCK YEAH!
I love games not taking themselves that seriously (Earthworm Jim, Blood Dragon) but this all just sort of turns me off of this game.
That is pretty much how I feel about this game as well. You aren't just the president, or a superhero but no you're the superhero president who has a rocket launcher that fires mutant carnivorous flaunting rabbits.

I guess some people will like it but for me I love games that are real enough for me to seriously get invested in but have touches of odd humor here and there. It's a delicate balance in my mind not this stuff.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.
You do know that Saints Row 1 and 2 took place in the same city, right?

Anyway, looks like it's a load more of stupid silly fun. I like. GIMMIE!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Mixed feelings. It looks like fun and I'll probably play it, but both the Mech Suit Mayhem and the superpowers seem like overkill for the vast majority of what you'll actually be facing. Part of what made Tank Mayhem enjoyable was that the power you got from the vehicle (tank shells that do ridiculous amounts of damage and splash damage, a ride that makes you nearly invulnerable) was offset by the limitations of the vehicle (moving and turning like a tank, relatively long time between shots from the cannon.) By comparison, the mecha seems relatively agile, and as for the superpowers- well, I was already feeling nigh-invulnerable with double pistols firing exploding ammo; I only died by the end when I got completely wedged in by enemy vehicles and/or brutes.

Also not sure about this whole virtual reality thing. We're riffing on The Matrix now? Really? It seems to make all the over-the-top stuff kind of meaningless. I'm already playing a video game; now you're telling me my action-hero-theatrics aren't even having a significant effect on the world of said game...?

If there's a Saints Row V at this point, it begins to seem like the only way forward is to have the players make a new character who's taking on the old leader of the Saints.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

Is it just me or Saints Row is turning into the Scary Movies series of Videogaming?
umm you do realize gta has never been in a new city since the ps1 game was released right. although if you really are the president it does seem weird that you are confined to just one city in the game

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
mrm5561 said:
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

Is it just me or Saints Row is turning into the Scary Movies series of Videogaming?
umm you do realize gta has never been in a new city since the ps1 game was released right. although if you really are the president it does seem weird that you are confined to just one city in the game
Sorry but...Vice City?
San Andreas?
Also, punctuation, use it.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
OT: You got Prototype in my Saints Row! Not that there is anything wrong with that...[/quote]

Solo-Wing said:
DVS BSTrD said:
*Sigh* Yeah does look like fun, but I wish I could believe the story was gunna be worth a damn. I have a feeling this going to play like a 6 hour end-game.
Yuuki said:
....a dubstep gun? Well then, that pretty much speaks for itself.
It's autotune that has speaking.
It's just mah BASS CANNON!

OT: You got Prototype in my Saints Row! Not that there is anything wrong with that...
I literally just finished re-playing the first prototype and I can say I really did get that feeling while watching the video too. I can only hope at some point we'll get to yell "TAGGART YOU SUICIDAL MORON!!!!!!!!"

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
mrm5561 said:
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

So far the 3D GTA series has 5 cities to it's name. Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas, from the 6th Generation and the brand new Liberty City and San Andreas from the 7th Generation. If we don't exclud the original GTA, GTA2, GTA London, and GTA 1961 and GTA 1969, in total, GTA has 10 cities in total.

I just have to point out that, yes, Saints Row is turning into the Scary Movies of Videogames. Well said.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
l3o2828 said:
mrm5561 said:
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

Sorry but...Vice City?
San Andreas?
you show your ignorance sir and/or madam. GTA 1 took place in Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I've got to say it? Where does it go from here? Saints Row IV, you're the president, you've got superpowers, you've got mechs - how do you top that? Who knows, maybe they'll try and return to something remotely possible.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
TheRussian said:
mrm5561 said:
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

So far the 3D GTA series has 5 cities to it's name. Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas, from the 6th Generation and the brand new Liberty City and San Andreas from the 7th Generation. If we don't exclud the original GTA, GTA2, GTA London, and GTA 1961 and GTA 1969, in total, GTA has 10 cities in total.

I just have to point out that, yes, Saints Row is turning into the Scary Movies of Videogames. Well said.
gotta double post so that you too know you are wrong. GTA 1 took place in Libert City, Vice City and San Andreas. then there was the London game. PS2 generation games take place in Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas. current gen takes place in Liberty City, (part of) San Andreas.

now there are smaler points you could argue. Things like "San Andreas was called a city before, and later San Andreas was a state consisting of 3 cities, therefor should be counted individually." but that is completely missing the point of what the person you quoted as being wrong was trying to say. GTA locales have not changed since first era. fact.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
TheRussian said:
mrm5561 said:
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

gotta double post so that you too know you are wrong. GTA 1 took place in Libert City, Vice City and San Andreas. then there was the London game. PS2 generation games take place in Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas. current gen takes place in Liberty City, (part of) San Andreas.

now there are smaler points you could argue. Things like "San Andreas was called a city before, and later San Andreas was a state consisting of 3 cities, therefor should be counted individually." but that is completely missing the point of what the person you quoted as being wrong was trying to say. GTA locales have not changed since first era. fact.
Oh because greatly expanding and re-designing an entire city is NOT Change.
While leaving the city pretty much like it always was is TOTALLY A-OK?
For all intents and purpouses GTA1's Vice city is NOT GTA:VC's Vice City. Same with San Andreas compared to GTA V and GTA 1.

On the other hand Saints Row The Third and Saints Row 4 is the same city layout with only minor changes, like adding things on the sky, which you most likely won't be able to explore if not in a mission.

Oct 2, 2012
martyrdrebel27 said:
l3o2828 said:
mrm5561 said:
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

Sorry but...Vice City?
San Andreas?
you show your ignorance sir and/or madam. GTA 1 took place in Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas.
Although the cities were drastically different in the separate incarnations. The Liberty City from 1 was vastly different than 3 which was vastly different than 4. They're the same city in name only pretty much.
Although they are technically the same city so that one person was right. I still think the big differences in the cities should be enough however to consider them almost completely different.

OT: Not too interested. Yeah lots of people will probably like it and have a blast but the more I see and read the less interested I am. It just isn;t the game for me *shrug*

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
GTA locales have not changed since first era. fact.
So you are saying that Liberty City from GTA3 is canonically the same city as Liberty City from GTA4 and part of GTA1's large map? Give me a break. The 2D cities are in a completely different continuity from the 3D Cities, while GTA4 & 5 are in a brand new universe altogether. In the 2D universe all the cities were part of the same state. This is not the case in the 3D Universe where San Andreas is explicitly stated to be on the West Coast and Liberty City on the East Coast.I have played every GTA game and I can do this all day. If you have further questions I can direct you to the Official GTA Wiki where everything can be spelled out to you. It's better not to argue with facts.

Let's keep this thread focused on Saints Row 4. I will not respond to this post.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
TheRussian said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
GTA locales have not changed since first era. fact.
So you are saying that Liberty City from GTA3 is canonically the same city as Liberty City from GTA4 and part of GTA1's large map? Give me a break. The 2D cities are in a completely different continuity from the 3D Cities, while GTA4 & 5 are in a brand new universe altogether. In the 2D universe all the cities were part of the same state. This is not the case in the 3D Universe where San Andreas is explicitly stated to be on the West Coast and Liberty City on the East Coast.I have played every GTA game and I can do this all day. If you have further questions I can direct you to the Official GTA Wiki where everything can be spelled out to you. It's better not to argue with facts.

Let's keep this thread focused on Saints Row 4. I will not respond to this post.
almost right. almost. the character from gta 2, though killed at the end, is largely accepted as the same character from gta 3 and who makes a cameo in san andreas, Claude Speed.

and as for the saint's row city barely changing, how can anyone outside the company even begin to guess at that? Sint's Row 1 and 2 both took place in Stilwater and the city had a massive overhaul between. there is no evidence to suggest that we won't be in for the same thing with Steelport 2.0.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
TheRussian said:
mrm5561 said:
l3o2828 said:
...Same city? Really?
Talk about lazyness.

Thanks for having my back dude. Bro five to you

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Smiley Face said:
I've got to say it? Where does it go from here? Saints Row IV, you're the president, you've got superpowers, you've got mechs - how do you top that? Who knows, maybe they'll try and return to something remotely possible.
Well, there's two obvious routes.

1. Continue the schtick and have you take over the world.

2. Take the fight to the aliens and invade their world, becomin an intergalactic gang lord.

Its entirely you'll start out as 1 and end at 2 in The Fifth.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
This honestly looks more like what would happen if Prototype had been designed by the Volition dev team. Not that I don't want to play it, honestly it looks like great fun.

Though I have to say I agreed with Yahtzee on the minigames: Context helps. It's fun to see you get a little animation explaining why you're doing this crazy sh*t, otherwise it just feels like there's less of a point.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Smiley Face said:
I hope they make a sequel to saints row 2 that would be amazing. This game looks fun and all but this and the third really should be their own series and not saints row cause they aren't related to the first two except in a few minor details that even the developers try and hide.

Mar 26, 2008
I really don't know how to feel about this. To me SR2 was the high point of the series, with SR3 being an unfocused clusterfvck of ideas. This looks like that cranked up to eleven, but judging from the gameplay shown it looks like it might fall into the "so bad it's good" category; just like those movies you know you shouldn't enjoy but you do.

I'm just concerned that your character seems too overpowered. Sure the developer probably has all sorts of perks switched on, but given the amount of firepower, mechs and super powers at your disposal is there anything that could possible raise a challenge other than potentially that Zen "superhero"?