Watch Star Wars Episode VII's First Official Trailer Right Here

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Watch Star Wars Episode VII's First Official Trailer Right Here

The first official trailer for Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens features some familiar sights, a Game of Thrones-esque forest, and a lightsaber longsword.

The first official teaser trailer for J.J. Abram's upcoming continuation of the Star Wars franchise: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20episode%20vii] has just gone live. It features some familiar sights, some new ones, and a badass Sith dude with a freaking lightsaber longsword, marching through a snowy forest that would fit right at home north of the wall in Game of Thrones. Check it out to the right.

The trailer starts off with what appears to be a black dude in a Stormtrooper uniform, looking all worried and sweaty in the deserts of Tatooine, before going on to show us Stormtroopers marching on an unknown location, a woman speeding through Tatooine on some kind of craft, some crazy, spinning R2D2-like robot, a couple of Rebel soldiers in X-wings, the aforementioned "badass sith dude," and of course, the Millennium Falcon squaring off against a couple of tie fighters.

Considering there is voice-over telling us "There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?" and the film's subtitle (The Force Awakens), could the Stormtrooper at the start be a "dormant Jedi" being awakened by a sudden return of The Force?

Other than that, there's not much else we can discern from the trailer except that it looks pretty cool, and has neat special effects. I'm cautiously optimistic on this one.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens will launch in December, 2015.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww]

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Is this a good time to reveal how much I dislike the Star Wars films? Or, will that just lead to torches, pitchforks, and awkward conversations about what is to be done with my dead body?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Wasn't that Benedict Cumberbatch doing the voice over?

Ryan Hughes said:
Is this a good time to reveal how much I dislike the Star Wars films? Or, will that just lead to torches, pitchforks, and awkward conversations about what is to be done with my dead body?
Nope, no awkward conversations about what is to be done with your dead body. It will be put in giant wicker Greedo and burnt as an offering to the gods to restore Han shooting first.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I told you the teaser trailer isn't all that hyped up! Sure it was still kind of cool but it didn't excited me compared to Jurrasic World. Also light crossguard now?

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
It looks interesting, and they can't really go anywhere but up from here due to the prequel series.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Corven said:
It looks interesting, and they can't really go anywhere but up from here due to the prequel series.
I'm not sure. That lightsaber broadsword made me absolutely cringe. It's quite possible to do worse than the prequel series.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Are the Sith naturally insecure about their light saber designs? I know they want to stand out and to be fair a claymore style light sabre is pretty bad ass but I can't help but think you'll just going to end up stabbing yourself with that hilt.

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
Well, don't know what I expected. A bunch of disconnected, disjointed images. There is nothing there as to what it means.

We know that the stormtroopers started a diversification program
We know the Millennium falcon still works
Apparently everyone feels they have to fly 10 feet off the ground now for some reason
There is a speeder that looks like a flying refrigerator
And lightsaber, light crossguards

...Fucking mystery box.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Got a chill down my back but I think I can attribute that to John Williams and seeing the Millennium Falcon rather than anything else.

I am trying really hard not to judge anything before the movie comes out but some of the rumored stuff like Luke being a prisoner since RotJ/ being in self imposed exile because he is scared of the Force and Han not owning the Falcon has me praying it is not true.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Why is everyone flipping out about this ligthsaber and its design when we know nothing about it? It clearly looks primitive simply by how much its sparking so it creates a lot of questions (thus the point of a teaser). Settle the hell down.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Well at least this means we'll get another Star Wars Plinkett review.
So yea I'll keep my expectations low, maybe I'll be surprised...doubt it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It's been a long time since I've been excited to see a film because of the trailer. Too bad this did fuck all to change that.

This showed bugger all. Just the same shit we were expecting with one lame idea and some boring lines.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Tatooine? Check.
Inside shot of an X wing fighter? Check.
Millenium Falcon? Check.
Bloopie bloppy robot panicking through Tatooine? Check.

Can you FEEL the nostalgia?

That light-claymore is fucking stupid. Double edged light saber, fine, it's wieldable. But the hilt of your sword, is not meant to be on fucking fire!

Also, is it /just/ me, or does the film quality of that trailer feel a bit...amateur? A very good amateur, but not of the quality you'd think Abrams would have avilable. I dunno, maybe he's attempting to make it low fi on purpose for dem nostalgia feels.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Frankly I'm unimpressed. This is however only a teaser so I'll reserve final judgement till later. That being said it's going to take more than a Jedi mind trick to make want to see anything that JJ Abrams touches.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
For those of you complaining about the LightSword (As I think it should be called), just remember...

Such as the Light Whip
And the Light Tonfa

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Ryan Hughes said:
More like why you're posting in a thread discussing a trailer to the latest Star Wars film if you dislike them so much. Just seems weird to me.

OT: not much to tell from this trailer, but those X-Wings and the Falcon gave me shivers. I must say I do love the Stormtrooper redesign.

elvor0 said:
Also, is it /just/ me, or does the film quality of that trailer feel a bit...amateur? A very good amateur, but not of the quality you'd think Abrams would have avilable. I dunno, maybe he's attempting to make it low fi on purpose for dem nostalgia feels.
Yeah, I got that feeling as well.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
albino boo said:
Wasn't that Benedict Cumberbatch doing the voice over?

Ryan Hughes said:
Nope, no awkward conversations about what is to be done with your dead body. It will be put in giant wicker Greedo and burnt as an offering to the gods to restore Han shooting first.
I cannot tell, as the narrator never tried to pronounce the word "Penguin."

No! Not the Bees! Not the Bees! Wait. . . are there bees in the Star Wars universe?

Chessrook44 said:
For those of you complaining about the LightSword (As I think it should be called), just remember...

Indeed, the Light-Staff used by that one dude in Episode I was not only impractical, but insanely dangerous. Virtually all forms of staff fighting require the wielder to move their hands actively up and down the staff as they strike and block. This allows for a much wider variety of strikes and prevents the hands themselves from being targeted by the opponent. That being said, this light-sword's guard looks like an even better way to kill yourself. . .

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
I'm excited. Now I have over a year till it makes sense, that is the only really down part. AS far as the X-wings flying over the water ... sorry made me squeal! Like a little boy getting a piece of candy that is sitting on a piece of pie being held up by a triple layer of chocolate cake.

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
elvor0 said:
I think it felt very 'Star Wars'. Part of the charm of the original trilogy, in my opinion, was the somewhat rough around the edges cinematography. I mean, this is the only 'professional' film franchise I know of that manages to make those Windows Movie Maker screen wipes work. This teaser felt appropriate to that style.