Watch the First Teaser for the New Star Trek Series Right Here

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Watch the First Teaser for the New Star Trek Series Right Here

A brief teaser from CBS shows off the new Star Trek logo, and teases the new series coming in 2017.

Last night, CBS showed off the first teaser for its upcoming Star Trek series to advertisers. While it's exciting to hear the familiar score and see the new logo, the trailer basically reveals nothing beyond that.

It consists of a flyby of several planets beginning with Earth, and ends with the reveal of the new logo. There's also the text promise of "New crews, new villains, new heroes, and new worlds." "New crews" likely means that this new series won't turn out to be any of the spinoffs that have been bandied about. There's no mention of a new ship, so hopefully we'll get another version of the Enteprise at some point in its long history.

The new series will be written by Nicholas Meyer, who also wrote and directed Wrath of Khan, so there's definitely hope that it could be good. However, CBS is planning to show all the episodes (except the pilot) only on their streaming service, so fans will be forced to watch online.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about this, but it could be that I just really want a new Star Trek series to watch.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So will this be based on the reboot contiunity or the old one?

Either way, it's about time we got a new series since for one thing, cgi has gotten alot better that is if their budget will be high.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I so hope this will be good. Star Trek is a glorious edition to the wonderful culture of sci-fi television. To not have a running Star Trek series is for us to have failed ourselves!

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
CANCELLED!!

Ahh network television. Will give you hop and hype and then take it all away.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Rumour mill says that season 1 will be set sometime between The Undiscovered Country and TNG. Though that's an unconfirmed (and also undenied) leak, so take with a pinch of salt. Still, I'd much rather see this in the original continuity.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
OK not the most all knowing Star Trek nerd in exsistance but looking at the three planets shown, earth clearly as said above but maybe the other two are... Qo'noS and a shattered Romulus(following the wonky sci fi logic of star trek online that anything could survive a supoernova). Not sure but keeping with the non JJ Movies and going back to the classic TV shows/movies cannon has been what a lot of fans have been crying out for... seems possibe and I'd love to see what the Romulan Star Empire does after loosing there home world(STO has some intresting ideas on this), this being the catalyst for a ton of chaos and adventure.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Rumour mill says that season 1 will be set sometime between The Undiscovered Country and TNG. Though that's an unconfirmed (and also undenied) leak, so take with a pinch of salt. Still, I'd much rather see this in the original continuity.
Wouldn't that require this new show to take a stand on where it stands with the movie reboot? By setting it in an established universe at a well known and established time then it basically is disowning the events of the reboot (no bad thing.) If they set it in a time after Voyager's return then they can still keep a continuity that ties in with the events of the reboot movies.

Part of me wants this because frankly the prospect of having two Star Trek universes one movie and one TV kind of annoys me, not enough mind you that they should sacrifice any of the elements that made the TV shows of old great just to fit in with the new continuity established in those crimes against humanity reboots though.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
All I'm really hoping for out of the new Star Trek series is that, whatever continuity it's in and whateve time it's set in, the show be about a crew of people in some sort of mobile space structure, that they explore, and that less than a quarter of the episodes are about some sort of war.

Maybe it can even be episodic? In my opinion, Star Trek was at its best when you would run into new and unexpected shit every week, rather than the dull drawn-out DS9-style arcs.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
ST II-ST VI is the era I most desperately have wanted more of for such a long time. I'm hoping the rumors that this will be the era visited first are true. Hopefully lightning will strike twice with Meyer and it will be everything I hoped for.

On the other hand, I don't particularly care for post DS9-era. All the big adversaries are defeated or defanged: Borg were defeated in Voyager, Dominion is no longer at war, Cardassian Union was all but destroyed and has a new, pro-federation government. Klingons are also buddying up to the Federation, and the Romulans became more and more of paper tigers before becoming basically inconsequential as adversaries thanks to Nemesis and Trek 2009. The possibility of NuTrek and/or Star Trek Online influencing the plot doesn't enthuse me much either.

I'm wondering if there will be an over-arching plot (heaven forbid timetravel) or if each 'era' will be a self-contained story. The second sounds ideal to me, the second-not so much. I don't remember Enterprise's awkward attempts to reconcile the differences between TOS-era and the later Trek series/shows very fondly, and I don't particularly care to see more of that. Likewise the introduction of something like the NuTrek bald tattooed Romulans into TNG era or Remans into TOS isn't something I'd care for.

Fingers crossed.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Enterprise J all the way!!!!!

God, I sure hope this ain't based on that reboot crap or I might cry... :\

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
So... what's the shows title? Because even I don't think that they'd be stupid enough to just call it "Star Trek".

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Of they're smart they'll put it in the old continuity but if they're greedy it'll be in the/a new continuity.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Scarim Coral said:
Don't quote me on this, but I think I read somewhere that it would be an anthology series - that it would have multiple crews over multiple time periods. Kind of like The Twilight Zone, but on a "by season" rather than "by episode" basis. But that said, the inter-period between Undiscovered Country and TNG seems the most common estimate.

Anyway, um, yay, I guess. I like Star Trek. There's other sci-fi shows I'd prefer revivals of, not to mention that Star Trek is still ongoing in some form or another, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnddd...that did NOTHING for me.

A 'teaser' should at least SHOW something other than some CGI.
>_>

sjard

Mar 21, 2008
It has long been confirmed it will be in the original continuity since CBS cannot legally do anything with the JJ verse.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I think I read somewhere that this series is going to be based off the reboot. Reason enough for me to ignore it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, so far, everything but the theme music makes me think of Star Trek Voyager.

...at least it's not making me think of Enterprise?