Watch the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Gameplay Video

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Watch the Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Gameplay Video

Snake slithers back on the scene in a 10 minute showcase of the Fox Engine.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes was announced not too long ago by Hideo Kojima at his first ever PAX presentation, and game journalists offered gushing responses [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119363-Kojima-Productions-Announces-Open-World-Metal-Gear-Solid-Game] to the demonstration. A 10 minute gameplay video is now available, showing the Fox Engine powering the next instalment in the Metal Gear franchise.

The video features disguised Fox soldiers, an imprisoned boy with a headphone jack in his chest (possibly Raiden in his child-soldier days?), a reference to a double-agent who is threatening to blow the lid on some kind of hidden agenda, and a grizzled, grey-haired Snake who stares straight at the fourth wall to say, "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Kojima said that the game would be a "completely open world", allowing the player to commandeer vehicles, call in attack choppers, and travel to other countries to complete alternative missions. He labeled Ground Zeroes as a "prologue", suggesting that this game's Snake may be Big Boss.

Kojima insisted that the PAX demonstration was not a tech demo, and that it was running the Fox Engine in real-time on a PC comparable to a PlayStation 3. He also explained the engine's creation, saying that while there were plenty of quality game engines available to use, Kojima Productions would rather "get in there and tweak things ourselves". In doing so, they are hoping to make their development more efficient in terms of making the engine cross platform compatible and ready for cloud-based tech.

There were suggestions that the engine could also be used to produce first-person shooters, Uncharted-style adventure games, or open world games - "a Silent Hill, possibly".

Source: Polygon [http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/1/3285679/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-revealed-hideo-kojima-pax]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Aaaaah, so I see that this is what Kojima has been actually working on while letting the Metal Gear Rising team do nothing for 2 years.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Run it on a PC and yet it will never see the light of day for PC gamers, I hate you video game industry...I hate you so very much.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
cursedseishi said:
That snake pretty much HAS to be Big Boss considering...
They make mention of both Paz and Chico in the present tense, and referring to the end of Peacewalker by saying that Paz was found still alive.

It'll be interesting to see the differences between Old Boss-snake and Old Solid Snake. He certainly didn't seem nearly as brittle as Old Solid was.

One of the interesting tidbits not mentioned either, was that you can select the music that plays when you have a helicopter coming to extract you. Yet, how loud that music is also determines how aware the enemy might become of you during said extraction. So... might want to think twice before you load up some metal into your choppers playlist!

AzrealMaximillion said:
Aaaaah, so I see that this is what Kojima has been actually working on while letting the Metal Gear Rising team do nothing for 2 years.
Yep, because its totally Kojima working on Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance, and nooooooot Platinum games. Yeah. Platinum has definitely been doing nothing at all with the game. No sir.
Ummm Platimun Games picked up MG Rising after is was very close to cancelling it. And to be honest from the trailers we've seen they haven't really changed the game at all. it still looks like the Afro Samurai game's combat mechanics skinned with MGS4.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Will be interesting to see just how many corners will have to be cut to make it for the 360.
No offence intended to the 360 crowd, but christ, THAT will not run as a full game on a 360,. Not to that level. As a tech demo yeah, but a full open world game? No way.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
AzrealMaximillion said:
cursedseishi said:
That snake pretty much HAS to be Big Boss considering...
They make mention of both Paz and Chico in the present tense, and referring to the end of Peacewalker by saying that Paz was found still alive.

It'll be interesting to see the differences between Old Boss-snake and Old Solid Snake. He certainly didn't seem nearly as brittle as Old Solid was.

One of the interesting tidbits not mentioned either, was that you can select the music that plays when you have a helicopter coming to extract you. Yet, how loud that music is also determines how aware the enemy might become of you during said extraction. So... might want to think twice before you load up some metal into your choppers playlist!

AzrealMaximillion said:
Yep, because its totally Kojima working on Metal Gear Rising: Reveangance, and nooooooot Platinum games. Yeah. Platinum has definitely been doing nothing at all with the game. No sir.
Ummm Platimun Games picked up MG Rising after is was very close to cancelling it. And to be honest from the trailers we've seen they haven't really changed the game at all. it still looks like the Afro Samurai game's combat mechanics skinned with MGS4.
You mean aside from what looks to be a completely different game engine? The pre- and post-Platinum Games trailers look quite different.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Rednog said:
Run it on a PC and yet it will never see the light of day for PC gamers, I hate you video game industry...I hate you so very much.
Pc games are much easier to pirate, i believe....
That or maybe the control scheme just isn't suited for the Pc...
Who knows.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
l3o2828 said:
Rednog said:
Who knows.
Are you CliffyB?
Yea people pirate shit, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, it doesn't mean there aren't paying customers out there. People pirate on consoles, and despite numbers for popular games reaching millions in console pirated downloads they still release games for them without a second thought.
Really controls aren't suited for PC? It's a freaking 3rd person shooter not a twin stick shooter, and considering this is actually a freaking gameplay demo they freaking already figured it out.
Also, you're talking about a platform that has the biggest choice of control options.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Rednog said:
l3o2828 said:
Rednog said:
Who knows.
Are you CliffyB?
Yea people pirate shit, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, it doesn't mean there aren't paying customers out there. People pirate on consoles, and despite numbers for popular games reaching millions in console pirated downloads they still release games for them without a second thought.
Really controls aren't suited for PC? It's a freaking 3rd person shooter not a twin stick shooter, and considering this is actually a freaking gameplay demo they freaking already figured it out.
Also, you're talking about a platform that has the biggest choice of control options.
I completly agree with you.
What i was trying to do there was think from the side of the Developers, Publishers and general AAA behaviour.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Looks INCREDIBLE. Too bad i don't own a PS3. but, should it be out for XBOX360, i'll definitely buy it ASAP.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So this is a sequel to Peace Walker...

Also if the game manages to stay that pretty on the PS3 then it would make for a great swan song when the time comes to to pass the baton to its successor.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
uchytjes said:
Looks INCREDIBLE. Too bad i don't own a PS3. but, should it be out for XBOX360, i'll definitely buy it ASAP.
It's coming out for 360, so says the logo at the end of the trailer.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
That... was impressive.

And I like how you call it a gameplay video when most of it is an in-game cutscene. 'Tis true for a real MGS game, I suppose. XD

Still, it looks nice and I can't wait to see more info released.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
I love how the UBER NERD developers go on about the graphics! Most of the comments here are just ecstatic that snake, or possibly Big Boss is back in the picture.

But c'mon now! MGS... GZ will flounder in a bloaded plot-arc!!

MGS4 had about 4 hrs of gameplay and 3 hrs of movies. Konami can dress GZ with their gorgeous Fox Engine, but it won't solve the endless dribble going on in their overly complicated cutscenes -- guaranteed now that Kojima is back.
And I swear, like those graphics will show anything off. Snake only uses silencers, M4's and Ak's, not lightning bolts, fire or spectacular creativity to wow us. For a sci-fi, Kojima has never had a lot of vision in the game-play department. At least Reavengeance puts combat first.

At least we can count on Kojima's Fruedian fantasies. Oh, I'm sure they'll play plenty of attention to highlighting the supple curves and nude lines of what ever female side star they bring in, like the Transformers series.

And for all of those other comments, SCREW PC. I don't know how it was four years ago, but in this age, serious gamers use "market" consoles. Who the hell wastes time upgrading their PC each year, and only enough to put settings on Uber High -- and just to match their console counterparts.

DEVELOPERS ARE MAKING GAMES FOR CONSOLES. That should be enough for us consumers to take a hint -- that the PC will always get the hand-me down, lesser-man's, younger brother's port. Unless of course, you play an online MMO, then you're life's already screwed.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
l3o2828 said:
Rednog said:
Who knows.
Practically every PC gamer these days uses the 360 controller when appropriate, so control scheme isn't an issue.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Rednog said:
Apparently it will be for PC

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/366056/confirmed-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-is-current-gen-set-for-ps3-xbox-360-and-pc/

But who knows, I recall them saying that Rising was supposed to be PC.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
worldfest said:
And for all of those other comments, SCREW PC. I don't know how it was four years ago, but in this age, serious gamers use "market" consoles. Who the hell wastes time upgrading their PC each year, and only enough to put settings on Uber High -- and just to match their console counterparts.

DEVELOPERS ARE MAKING GAMES FOR CONSOLES. That should be enough for us consumers to take a hint -- that the PC will always get the hand-me down, lesser-man's, younger brother's port. Unless of course, you play an online MMO, then you're life's already screwed.
I can't tell if you're being sincere or not.

Either way, people are probably going to get annoyed at you.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
~9 Min of cut scene and 30 seconds of gameplay.... that ratio sounds about right...