We are Team Siren

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
So this has caused the latest shitstorm in the league of legends community lately.

As you can guess, these girls are getting a lot of hate for this video. I'm somewhat on the fence about it. On one hand, I think the video is really annoying because it's nothing more than "We are all girls, we are girls, all girl team, BTW did you know we are girls?" with nothing to show of their skill. On the other, these girls are better than me after I looked up their stats so I hope they do well but many want this team disbanded or are just downright saying nasty things to them JUST because they are female.

I honestly don't know what to think of it all. Anybody heard of this?

*Oh and I believe they are all gold 1 which honestly isn't good enough for competitive play but as long as you have fun who cares?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Interneters gonna do what interneters gonna do. Some people just exist to spew vitriolic hate at random targets spread across the web. This is just one more example in an endless list.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
The League of Legends community? Angry about something and kind of misogynistic? Say it ain't so! Next thing you'll try to tell me that water is wet!

Yeah... pretty par for the course from those people. Not really surprised, hope the girls ignore them. If they have fun, who cares?

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
They're all female? Gods, I never would have been able to figure it out if you hadn't told me!

But yeah, it is a bit in-your-face annoying. Typically people would be overreacting though.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
im disappointed.

I thought Team Siren were people who like to play as the Siren in Borderlands series, in which case I was going to throw my hat in that ring and be a member of that team.

But nooooo

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Wait what? People got mad over this? Are they aware that full on female cyber-sports team existed since middle of 2000s? Wow.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Ryotknife said:
im disappointed.

I thought Team Siren were people who like to play as the Siren in Borderlands series, in which case I was going to throw my hat in that ring and be a member of that team.

But nooooo
I thought it was gonna be a team of people who were dedicated to continuing the Sire horror franchise.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Is it a bit over the top? Of course, I don't think the Justice League has an introduction with that much drama.

But eh, I stopped paying attention to LoL pro players and matches a while ago.

JetFury

May 31, 2013
That's pretty lame. I don't really care about the drama associated with pro gaming

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
"Grl gmrs" have always, will always be obnoxious. In any capacity. Always. Forever.

That said I do not play LoL but if they have the skill, then props regardless.

(Just to clarify because I know this board loves to jump on misogyny/misandry topics like a starved lion on a water buffalo, the male equivalent of this is just as obnoxious.)

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Well...

it's an absolutely horrid video. Nothing to do with their gender though.

People should realize that lines which sound cool in a movie don't necessarily translate well to real life....

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
As a girl I say good for them and I hope they wipe the floor with every other team.

As a video watcher it was pretty cheesy.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
They should be banned from the interwebs just for using wubstep. That sort of thing is unacceptable!

If they want to raise awareness for their team and all they could come up with is being female as a concept they're probably not that good in the grand scheme of things (Better than me, sure. But that's nothing to brag about). When they win some kind of major tournament then they can make a video about that and mention being an all girl team as a side note

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
If they wanna play the game, let them play the game. If they want to advertise themselves as a team, let em' advertise themselves as a team. I don't watch LoL, have little interest in the game, but it's a free game and anyone is free to play it. Are they "using" their gender as a "tool" for promotion? Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to tell, and what's more, it doesn't matter. If they entertain, if they play well, people will pay attention. If they don't, no one will pay attention. There's no need to get angry at them - what have they done that deserves anger?

Let em do what they want to do.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
DugMachine said:
So this has caused the latest shitstorm in the league of legends community lately.

As you can guess, these girls are getting a lot of hate for this video. I'm somewhat on the fence about it. On one hand, I think the video is really annoying because it's nothing more than "We are all girls, we are girls, all girl team, BTW did you know we are girls?" with nothing to show of their skill. On the other, these girls are better than me after I looked up their stats so I hope they do well but many want this team disbanded or are just downright saying nasty things to them JUST because they are female.

I honestly don't know what to think of it all. Anybody heard of this?

*Oh and I believe they are all gold 1 which honestly isn't good enough for competitive play but as long as you have fun who cares?
It is kind of strange that all the pro teams up til now have been men. Its not like gender confers any real advantage or disadvantage here. But I really can't seem to muster more than vague minor interest in the group. I don't really care about the team directly. It is good women are being represented, but I just don't care about the team. Maybe if they do good I will care? Maybe.

The video does feel like it is just an attention grab and it got down right embarrassing at parts, but that was probably more to do with their sponsors than with the players themselves. Even I can see that playing up the all female aspect is going to be profitable and it would be stupid not to. But I think they went overboard. It actually felt insulting at parts, like the announcement that girls play video games was supposed to rock the foundations of my reality. I am pretty sure that this video was meant to bait the current controversy. It is certainly giving this team a lot of free advertisement and word of mouth. Tons of people are talking about it. I certainly would never have looked at them twice without it. But maybe I am just jaded.

I guess what it comes down to is that the video a bit immature, very manipulative, and somewhat lacking in dignity. But that is pretty much par for the course in e-sports, so at least they are fitting in.

That all said, I really hope the team doesn't crash and burn. That would be awkward. Not to mention it would give all the detractors tons of ammo. If they are actually only gold 1 that is kind of sad. Isn't the professional scene all high platinum and diamond? If this is true they are going to get wrecked on the professional circuit.

Also, the people being jerks about it are really not cool. They should stop that.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
It wasn't that great of a trailer if you ask me...

But in all honesty, good for them for trying their luck at something they enjoy. That video could be done much, much worse

NiPah

May 8, 2009
It's a little goofy, but it's a promo video for a video game group so thats to be expected. The video was quite well done, serves its purpose for getting the teams name out there, much more work was put into that then any clan I've been in could muster.
As for the drama? Every group needs a draw, the all female aspect is simply another thing that brings attention to their group, also its a nice change of pace since the gaming scene is pretty male dominated.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Insecure boys will be insecure boys.

It's girls banding together for the pro circuit in the context of a game with recognized MLG chops. So fucking what? If they're good, they deserve it. If they win and genuinely win a season or even just a single round based on their talent - they deserve it.

Most gamers I know are guys, and most gamers are sedate. It's just freaking sad that you'll always find reactionary types ready to shriek in utter outrage because their precious world views are being challenged.

This is 2013. I'm honestly surprised whenever I realize there's still gamers who feel ill at ease around members of the LGBT scene, girls, guys with an unfortunate case of a high-pitched voice, or good precocious players. As, you know, not every pre-teen is automaically going to turn into a profanity-spewing motormouth... The pro circuit simply *cannot* be understood to be a boys' club. Not anymore, not ever again.