We are Team Siren

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Devoneaux said:
Moonlight Butterfly said:
Devoneaux said:
I'd say the misogynistic reaction was a step backwards in equality and not the attempt to get an all girl team playing competitively. :/
As opposed to the concept of women being handed success merely because they are women and not because they are deserving of it?
They haven't been handed anything. They still have to compete. All they have done is made a team.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
I was under the impression that the hate for this team was based on the fact that they are not good enough to be a pro team, and yet they still are because they are girls and 'AHMAGOD THEY'RE GURLZZZZZZZZZ MABYE THEYLL LIKE US IF WE MAKE DEM PROZZZ.'

Supposedly.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
wubwubwubWUBWUBwub

Why do they need to say that they're women who play LOL? Is gender more important then skill or something? The LOL community needs to grow up and mellow out.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Desert Punk said:
Windknight said:
because every football team that gets sponsored will win the cup every year.

because every motor racing team will win the championship every year

because every tv show made is a critical and ratings darling.

Sponsorship is NOT about quality. It is NOT about talent. Its about GETTING YOUR BRAND OUT THERE. Going back to motorsport, look at the F1 cars, they are literally covered in sponsors brand markings.

Not every team can be the best. Not every team will be the ones bringing home the cup. but guess what? chances are some company out there will sponsor those teams, because those teams will still have fans, will still have a big adverts emblazoned on them. why should this particular team not be sponsored?
They dont put paraplegics in Soccer teams

They dont put blind people behind the wheels in motor sports.

They dont put downs syndrome people on tv shows... Er...fuck I forgot about Jersy shore, you win this one!

The point is that the teams being sponsored have a reasonable chance of winning, placing first, or drawing ratings. This is why TV shows that dont draw the ratings their owners want get dumped.
How does 'not being as good as the top level players' translate into 'actively disabled and unable to play the game'?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I suppose it's nice that girls are playing in the upper tier of e-sports, as much as I dislike that term. It's a shame that they feel the need to separate themselves from the rest of the pack by pointing out their gender. But then again, I guess it's a shame that an all-girl team is such a rarity?

The video quality - meh. I've seen a lot worse from e-sports "pros". There's only so many times you can hear "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor" before you facepalm whenever it comes up.

Whatever, the whole thing made me feel dirty. And not in the way I usually feel after watching an all-female internet video.
I'm going to take a shower.

Edit: And of course the hate is out of proportion, but it always will be. People might complain if the comments were disabled, but, well, neither side of the coin looks good. "i don't think they wanna be hit by 2 cm cock". So... if it was 22cm they'd be fine with it? Roll up for the greatest debate on Earth, ladies and gentlemen.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Desert Punk said:
Windknight said:
How does 'not being as good as the top level players' translate into 'actively disabled and unable to play the game'?
Because in any of the cases mentioned it would take a massive fluke for them to win.
Except, you know, of the 11 or so teams in F1, your looking at a handful of drivers and teams who will take the championship. All the others don;t have the skill or technology to challenge at the level to make them or thie teams champions. Yet every team gets sponsorship. Every car is covered in brand decals.

Look at the premiership, look at the NFL, there are perhaps a handful of teams in each you can bet on as winning the championship, but they are not the only teams to get sponsorship.

The sirens can compete. They can play the game, and they will, to the best of their ability. They are not disabled, they are not handicapped, they just might not be good enough to win a trophy. That doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be sponsored.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
SecretNegative said:
Damn there's a lot of misinformaiton in the opening post. Firstly, the community do not spam how much they hate them, they rather mock them for the awful quality in the video. In fact, some of the players in the group (I think it was Solvanas) also mock themselves ecause of the cheesy video.

Secondly, this team is nowhere near a competetive level, like, not even close. It's the fact that they market themselves as a top team that making some people very annoyed.

People laugh at this video for the same reason they laugh at a fat guys video showing how muscular he is and then proceeds saying how he'll go to bodybuilding conventions and win.
This, there is tons of misinformation in this thread. They are being disliked for the crappy video and them putting themselves out to be a top team when they actually really aren't. They are also putting themselves out to be the only female team, this is also incorrect as there are others out there. No one is jealous or anything that they are girls playing professionally, they are just laughing at the crappy video.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
NoeL said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Look, I just gotta speak up here. Worked hard? These people play a VIDEO GAME for money.

Work is something you do for money and you hate it but you gotta do it to survive. Doing something that you love isn't work.

Professional Sport players don't work. They play.
That's just stupid. Do you know the difference between a professional sports player and someone "playing" a sport? The professional is expected to win. All the time. If they don't win it's not like they throw their hands up in the air and say "Oh well, GG you guys. I'll get you next time though! :p", no - they have to study exactly why they lost, figure out what they need to do to win, and then train to be able to accomplish those goals. A football team that gets up at the crack of dawn to run laps around a field isn't "playing football" - they're working. They're training hard to improve their game, and while they might love the results they almost certainly hate the training they have to do.

Even something like playing a video game requires training to win. You can get better just through playing the game, sure, but if you want to go pro you need to dedicate a shitload of time to memorising player stats, move sets, strategies, plus honing the hand-eye coordination and timing required to execute precisely what needs to be done. That can be very taxing.
Judge: Please State Your Occupation For The Court
Guy: Professional Video Game Player.
Lawyer: Can you elaborate on that?
Guy: I play league of legends from the crack of dawn until I go to bed. I play in competitions for money.
Lawyer: What does that entail? League Of Legends?
Guy: I'm sorry? I don't understand the question. You take these guys, and it's kinda like StarCraft, you gotta destroy the other base-
Lawyer: The physical mechanics of it. How do you play? Do you use a controller?
Guy: With a mouse and keyboard.
Lawyer: Hmmmm. A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD YOU SAY....
Defense: Objection!
Judge: Overruled. Continue.
Lawyer: Isn't it fair to say you don't really have a job? You're just really good at dragging around a mouse and hitting hot keys?
Guy: No! *Tears* No! That's not true!
Defense: OBJECTION! He's badgering the witness!
Judge: I'll allow it.
Lawyer: Permission to treat the witness as Hostile. ISN'T IT TRUE THAT THIS ISN'T A JOB? THAT YOU'RE JUST PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, ALBEIT AT A COMPEITIVE LEVEL, AND GETTING PAID FOR IT?
Guy: You want answers?
Lawyer: I think I'm entitled to.
Guy: *You want answers?*
Lawyer: *I want the truth!*
Guy: *You can't handle the truth!*
[pauses]
Guy: Son, we live in a world that has Jobs, and those jobs have to be miserable with the weight of real responsibility. These people require entertainment to blow off steam! Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lawyer? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for cubicle workers, and you curse the Professional LoL players. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That my avoiding a real line of work, while tragic, probably saves people sorrow. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on playing LoL, you need me to play LoL. We use words like win, teabag, Lulz. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending our section of the map. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very escapism that I provide, and then questions the manner I profit off it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard, and stand a game. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Lawyer: Is LoL a real job?

Guy: I did the job I...

Lawyer: IS LOL A REAL JOB?

Guy: YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT IT ISN'T!

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
wubwubwubWUBWUBwub

Why do they need to say that they're women who play LOL? Is gender more important then skill or something? The LOL community needs to grow up and mellow out.
in this case yes, they are ranked gold, which is two tiers below what is considered the pro rank.
So yea the outrage is over gender>skill but the lol community for the most part is on the outer side.

Hell there's more outrage over the fact they used fan art without permission then people going make me a sammich.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
SecretNegative said:
They're being paid for doing something, aka, it's a job. You may not like it, or think it's pathetic, but it is a job. In fact, there was some Chinise professional a while back that said he was dead tired of the game, but kept playing anyway because of the income he acquired, and because this was what he knew best.

In fact, just because you love your work doesn't mean that you don't work.
IF you love your work, that doesn't mean that you don't work. But as your example shows, it's even more funky than - if you make your hobby your "job", it's quite probable that you're not going to enjoy it nearly as much anymore as you did when it was still just a hobby.

That's why I ultimately say that a hobby can't really be a job - not to belittle or deride those who draw income from their hobbies, but because a hobby is something you largely do in your free time, for personal leisure and entertainment, and you can drop it any time you want without ill consequence to your social/financial security. Once it becomes a job, it loses that part.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
It seems like important details of this story are being changed from page to page.

It sounds like what these girls did is the equivalent of a high school garage band holding a press conference. At worst, it is pretentious and cocky. But the details seem to keep shifting.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Tenmar said:
Okay a bit of an announcement. This team is NOT playing at the upper tier of e-sports. They haven't even competed at any tournament yet. Not even the amateur level tournaments where they accept any team.
I see. I was slightly confused by the rest of the posts in the thread. I'm not entirely certain how e-sports tournaments work. I visited their website briefly and it said "five of the top-ranked women in NA", so... Right.

At any rate, I still don't see the point of hating them. If they're bad they'll get laughed out of tournaments for being bad (and probably for being women, unfortunately). And if they're good, then they're deserving of their fame.

Tenmar said:
Actually they have been handed everything. A dedicated house for them to live and practice at is something only the top tier of players after YEARS of competing and winning tournaments only dream of getting.
As to this I stand by what I said earlier. It's a shame that they can get a ton of fame just on virtue of being women. It's also a shame that all-women teams are rare enough that they instantly become a special case.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
SecretNegative said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Way to miss the point man.

They're being paid for doing something, aka, it's a job. You may not like it, or think it's pathetic, but it is a job. In fact, there was some Chinise professional a while back that said he was dead tired of the game, but kept playing anyway because of the income he acquired, and because this was what he knew best.

Actually it does. That's the whole point. Love your work? Then it's not work.

And once again, it's a fucking video game. It's like someone who gets paid to play football. Yes I acknowledge they play it really really well, but fact is, it's still a game.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
SecretNegative said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Way to miss the point man.

Actually it does. That's the whole point. Love your work? Then it's not work.

And once again, it's a fucking video game. It's like someone who gets paid to play football. Yes I acknowledge they play it really really well, but fact is, it's still a game.
So people with "real" jobs like teaching/policemen for example, if they love their jobs they don't actually work? Yes I know the whole love your work quote blah blah but the point is it's their job.

E-sports and athletes are entertainment. While the people participating are obviously in it for the money and prize, ultimately they provide entertainment for the masses. They offer a service, and we pay them. A job if there ever was one.

But I feel you're not going to change your mind so I'll just leave it at that.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Syzygy23 said:
I like this version of their Team Trailer better:

Hope they have fun playing LoL, I couldn't in to it. Community is HORRID.
I love the "It's a cup!" bit. The dub was actually pretty inventive.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
DrOswald said:
It is kind of strange that all the pro teams up til now have been men. Its not like gender confers any real advantage or disadvantage here.
It's more to do with interest and determination than anything. Pro gaming is one example, but really when you see ANYTHING tech (or gaming) related and go to the "pro" levels it's 99.9% males because females just aren't interested or determined enough in those fields to seriously try and compete at the highest levels. There is the rare exception (like Team Siren) but they are exactly that, rare exceptions.

Another example is F1 racing, I think there have been 5 women in the history of F1 who have owned that level of license (S class I think it's called). There's nothing stopping women from being pro drivers unless they genuinely lack the reflexes of males at the peak of competition, but still, at the lower-end there could be a lot more women if they were interested : /