We are Team Siren

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
All the power to them, it was just painful to watch that video. I've never played LoL so I don't know if their stats are remotely impressive. It's a double edged sword for them, really. If they're really good, then that should be enough and we ought not consider how genders factor in to all of this. If they're average or bad, then they're not doing themselves any favours by selling their "badass" feminism.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Yuuki said:
It's more to do with interest and determination than anything. Pro gaming is one example, but really when you see ANYTHING tech (or gaming) related and go to the "pro" levels it's 99.9% males because females just aren't interested or determined enough in those fields to seriously try and compete at the highest levels. There is the rare exception (like Team Siren) but they are exactly that, rare exceptions.

Another example is F1 racing, I think there have been 5 women in the history of F1 who have owned that level of license (S class I think it's called). There's nothing stopping women from being pro drivers unless they genuinely lack the reflexes of males at the peak of competition, but still, at the lower-end there could be a lot more women if they were interested : /
I was under the impression that the very top F1 drivers have to be pretty strong to control the car for hours at a time. But then again, women are generally smaller and lighter, which would put them at an advantage. So I'm not sure about that one.

I would imagine it has to do with interest and determination in e-sports though, so I agree with you. For reasons that are both wide and varied. I never saw any women in my WoW guilds, for what it's worth, unless they got dragged into it by their boyfriends/husbands.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I first I thought "LoL being trolly towards chicks? Why am I not surprised."

Then I actually watched the video. Holy fuck, talk about annoying pretentious bullshit. If they were going for "Typical unlikable LoL player stereotype", grats, they succeeded.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
NoeL said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Look, I just gotta speak up here. Worked hard? These people play a VIDEO GAME for money.

Work is something you do for money and you hate it but you gotta do it to survive. Doing something that you love isn't work.

Professional Sport players don't work. They play.
That's just stupid. Do you know the difference between a professional sports player and someone "playing" a sport? The professional is expected to win. All the time. If they don't win it's not like they throw their hands up in the air and say "Oh well, GG you guys. I'll get you next time though! :p", no - they have to study exactly why they lost, figure out what they need to do to win, and then train to be able to accomplish those goals. A football team that gets up at the crack of dawn to run laps around a field isn't "playing football" - they're working. They're training hard to improve their game, and while they might love the results they almost certainly hate the training they have to do.

Even something like playing a video game requires training to win. You can get better just through playing the game, sure, but if you want to go pro you need to dedicate a shitload of time to memorising player stats, move sets, strategies, plus honing the hand-eye coordination and timing required to execute precisely what needs to be done. That can be very taxing.
Judge: Please State Your Occupation For The Court
Guy: Professional Video Game Player.
Lawyer: Can you elaborate on that?
Guy: I play league of legends from the crack of dawn until I go to bed. I play in competitions for money.
Lawyer: What does that entail? League Of Legends?
Guy: I'm sorry? I don't understand the question. You take these guys, and it's kinda like StarCraft, you gotta destroy the other base-
Lawyer: The physical mechanics of it. How do you play? Do you use a controller?
Guy: With a mouse and keyboard.
Lawyer: Hmmmm. A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD YOU SAY....
Defense: Objection!
Judge: Overruled. Continue.
Lawyer: Isn't it fair to say you don't really have a job? You're just really good at dragging around a mouse and hitting hot keys?
Guy: No! *Tears* No! That's not true!
Defense: OBJECTION! He's badgering the witness!
Judge: I'll allow it.
Lawyer: Permission to treat the witness as Hostile. ISN'T IT TRUE THAT THIS ISN'T A JOB? THAT YOU'RE JUST PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, ALBEIT AT A COMPEITIVE LEVEL, AND GETTING PAID FOR IT?
Guy: You want answers?
Lawyer: I think I'm entitled to.
Guy: *You want answers?*
Lawyer: *I want the truth!*
Guy: *You can't handle the truth!*
[pauses]
Guy: Son, we live in a world that has Jobs, and those jobs have to be miserable with the weight of real responsibility. These people require entertainment to blow off steam! Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lawyer? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for cubicle workers, and you curse the Professional LoL players. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That my avoiding a real line of work, while tragic, probably saves people sorrow. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on playing LoL, you need me to play LoL. We use words like win, teabag, Lulz. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending our section of the map. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very escapism that I provide, and then questions the manner I profit off it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard, and stand a game. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Lawyer: Is LoL a real job?

Guy: I did the job I...

Lawyer: IS LOL A REAL JOB?

Guy: YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT IT ISN'T!
Funny, but still incorrect. :p You're refusing to recognise the entertainment industry as filling a consumer want/need, and that no matter how much effort an entertainer expends at perfecting their craft they're still not doing "work".

Let's say a guy wants his house to have a deck. He doesn't need the deck - he can survive without it. But he has the money to obtain one and he wants to spend it so he hires a carpenter to come and build him a deck. By your own ridiculous argument, if the carpenter enjoys designing and building decks then his profession isn't a job. It's not work. He's "playing" carpentry.

You have a very poor grasp of supply/demand economics.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Syzygy23 said:
I like this version of their Team Trailer better:

Hope they have fun playing LoL, I couldn't in to it. Community is HORRID.
I was gonna post that. Favourite part is when the cup is unveiled.

OT: There's really nothing wrong with this. I don't understand why some people are so pissed off.
Heh, the idea of a LoL team called "Hitler's Nazi's" tickles my ribs. Considering the attitude of most of the players I've met, it isn't too far off the mark either.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
DrOswald said:
It is kind of strange that all the pro teams up til now have been men. Its not like gender confers any real advantage or disadvantage here. But I really can't seem to muster more than vague minor interest in the group. I don't really care about the team directly. It is good women are being represented, but I just don't care about the team. Maybe if they do good I will care? Maybe.
I think that because men generally play such games more regularly than women is the cause of the trend. E-sports, such as they are, confer very little advantage due to physical capability. Hell, a guy playing without arms got a pentakill against real human players, something I've not managed to even without the handicap of using my feet to to play.

The larger point though I think is that the while gender doesn't matter, the video in question really seems to want to make it matter. Teams of men are just a thing that happens naturally and their sizzle reels don't really seem to spend much time pointing out that they're, well, dudes. By contrast, this one seems to imply that the fact they're female is somehow notable or interesting and, to be honest, it really isn't. It's one of those examples where the discussion ended up being about gender precisely because the video they presented decided that was a major point they wanted to get across.

That doesn't trigger any acrimony in me, of course. I like League just fine but don't care even a tiny bit about what people who take the game far to seriously are doing.

Dangit2019 said:
They are payed, and they do the act they are payed for on a regular basis. That is a job my friend.
It never ceases to amaze me the people who think the term "professional" implies anything other than the fact that one is paid for their services. It doesn't imply anything about the person or their abilities beyond the absolute fact that some entity believes that exchanging money for the service is a worthy investment.

Of course, that's also right up there with the things I hate about League - the people who say "But the PROS do it". Sure, someone who gets to play 40 hours a week and is in the top fractional percentage of people who will ever play the game might be able to do something - that doesn't mean it's something someone else can do.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
What a shitty video.

Well hope they have fun or whatever just don't ever make any more videos like that >.<

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
NoeL said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
NoeL said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Look, I just gotta speak up here. Worked hard? These people play a VIDEO GAME for money.

Work is something you do for money and you hate it but you gotta do it to survive. Doing something that you love isn't work.

Professional Sport players don't work. They play.
That's just stupid. Do you know the difference between a professional sports player and someone "playing" a sport? The professional is expected to win. All the time. If they don't win it's not like they throw their hands up in the air and say "Oh well, GG you guys. I'll get you next time though! :p", no - they have to study exactly why they lost, figure out what they need to do to win, and then train to be able to accomplish those goals. A football team that gets up at the crack of dawn to run laps around a field isn't "playing football" - they're working. They're training hard to improve their game, and while they might love the results they almost certainly hate the training they have to do.

Even something like playing a video game requires training to win. You can get better just through playing the game, sure, but if you want to go pro you need to dedicate a shitload of time to memorising player stats, move sets, strategies, plus honing the hand-eye coordination and timing required to execute precisely what needs to be done. That can be very taxing.
Judge: Please State Your Occupation For The Court
Guy: Professional Video Game Player.
Lawyer: Can you elaborate on that?
Guy: I play league of legends from the crack of dawn until I go to bed. I play in competitions for money.
Lawyer: What does that entail? League Of Legends?
Guy: I'm sorry? I don't understand the question. You take these guys, and it's kinda like StarCraft, you gotta destroy the other base-
Lawyer: The physical mechanics of it. How do you play? Do you use a controller?
Guy: With a mouse and keyboard.
Lawyer: Hmmmm. A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD YOU SAY....
Defense: Objection!
Judge: Overruled. Continue.
Lawyer: Isn't it fair to say you don't really have a job? You're just really good at dragging around a mouse and hitting hot keys?
Guy: No! *Tears* No! That's not true!
Defense: OBJECTION! He's badgering the witness!
Judge: I'll allow it.
Lawyer: Permission to treat the witness as Hostile. ISN'T IT TRUE THAT THIS ISN'T A JOB? THAT YOU'RE JUST PLAYING VIDEO GAMES, ALBEIT AT A COMPEITIVE LEVEL, AND GETTING PAID FOR IT?
Guy: You want answers?
Lawyer: I think I'm entitled to.
Guy: *You want answers?*
Lawyer: *I want the truth!*
Guy: *You can't handle the truth!*
[pauses]
Guy: Son, we live in a world that has Jobs, and those jobs have to be miserable with the weight of real responsibility. These people require entertainment to blow off steam! Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lawyer? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for cubicle workers, and you curse the Professional LoL players. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That my avoiding a real line of work, while tragic, probably saves people sorrow. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on playing LoL, you need me to play LoL. We use words like win, teabag, Lulz. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending our section of the map. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very escapism that I provide, and then questions the manner I profit off it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard, and stand a game. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Lawyer: Is LoL a real job?

Guy: I did the job I...

Lawyer: IS LOL A REAL JOB?

Guy: YOU'RE GOD DAMN RIGHT IT ISN'T!
Funny, but still incorrect. :p You're refusing to recognise the entertainment industry as filling a consumer want/need, and that no matter how much effort an entertainer expends at perfecting their craft they're still not doing "work".

Let's say a guy wants his house to have a deck. He doesn't need the deck - he can survive without it. But he has the money to obtain one and he wants to spend it so he hires a carpenter to come and build him a deck. By your own ridiculous argument, if the carpenter enjoys designing and building decks then his profession isn't a job. It's not work. He's "playing" carpentry.

You have a very poor grasp of supply/demand economics.
Would you say Kim Kardashian or Snooki have real jobs with their reality TV show?

I just can't imagine a world where on of these guys wakes up and groans because they gotta go practice their video games for hours. It be like Samoa Joe bemoaning the fact he's gotta go kick somebody's face in.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Would you say Kim Kardashian or Snooki have real jobs with their reality TV show?
Well, technically that's an acting career, so yes.

I just can't imagine a world where on of these guys wakes up and groans because they gotta go practice their video games for hours. It be like Samoa Joe bemoaning the fact he's gotta go kick somebody's face in.
Yeah, but the game's not that fun once you play it for 10 hours straight everyday. Also, I'm sorry, does one have to live in misery to have a "real job"? That seems like a negative attitude.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Well, technically that's an acting career, so yes.

Yeah, but the game's not that fun once you play it for 10 hours straight everyday. Also, I'm sorry, does one have to live in misery to have a "real job"? That seems like a negative attitude.
They don't have jobs. The poor sons of bitches that hold the camera and edit it into a show, they have jobs.

Cause if you do something you love and are passionate about, it's not a job then. You're getting paid to have fun. And if someone is playing LoL for money and not having fun? THey're in the wrong line of work.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
They don't have jobs. The poor sons of bitches that hold the camera and edit it into a show, they have jobs.

Cause if you do something you love and are passionate about, it's not a job then. You're getting paid to have fun. And if someone is playing LoL for money and not having fun? THey're in the wrong line of work.
In both cases, they are in a "paid position of regular employment". How hard or enjoyable their job is is irrelevant.

Also, as a guy who's worked on a few film shoots, don't feel sorry for those reality show cameramen and editors, they have a script to work with.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

In both cases, they are in a "paid position of regular employment". How hard or enjoyable their job is is irrelevant.

Also, as a guy who's worked on a few film shoots, don't feel sorry for those reality show cameramen and editors, they have a script to work with.
I mean legally, yeah. But existentially, no.

And I know they have scripts, but fact is they're filming the kardashians. I'd need a stiff drink everyday if I was on that gig.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I don't like that they're emphasising their gender so much to get sponsorship as it only reinforces that stupid "gmr grl" stereotype. On the other hand if there weren't such severe inequalities in gaming this kind of strategy would never work. I can't really take a side. The women's approach is douchey as hell, the people overreacting to it are probably more than a little sexist.