We gamers are a cruel bunch.

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
I pay no attention to voice communication anyway. But also, for god's sake dude PUNCTUATION. You aren't Yahtzee Croshaw, nor should you try to be.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
godofallu said:
Look kid, you aren't even supposed to be allowed to play the damn game.

I don't care if you are good, you will never be as good as me and your skill isn't the problem anyways. It's that ear piercing voice.

I will mute you if I dislike the sound of your voice. I am not your friend just because you have the same game as me.
I was gonna attempt to write something but then I found this.

Sums it all up perfectly.

Cookie to you, Sir!

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
MarsProbe said:
MisterM2402 said:
MarsProbe said:
imagine the following said in a really nasally English accent - ("Are you Scottish? Are you Scottish? You skirt wearing prick! Do you like a roll and sausage?") and the like.
Firstly, roll and sausage = win. Secondly, a guy I was playing with on L4D2 (now a Steamfriend) said something to me along the lines of "I am in *love* with that accent! It's fucking great!" - made my day :')
You're telling me! That's the thing - I've never understood the reasoning behind using a roll and sausage as an insult. I'm also quite partial to a roll and sausage.
Or how about a roll and square/sliced sausage with a tattie scone and brown sauce? Oh yes. :D But also, I've never heard that insult before - it doesn't seem to make any sense anyway :S

Yawwy

Sep 6, 2009
CTU_Loscombe said:
To be honest, OPs point is null and void to most people with his "cast your mind back to when you were 14" as I guess most console owners here are in thier mid to late 20s. We didnt have online play on consoles back then, so...yeah...Id be pretty fucking shocked if I was playing Starfox and my TV told me shut the fuck up because of my voice.

However, your generation hasnt exactly been doing itself any favours whatsoever with regards to online etiquette. Its all, I apologise in advance for this, ****** this and gay that and fuck your mom.

Now, Ive been gaming for longer than you have been on this planet and I certainly do not want little whiny kids annoying the fuck outta me. Hell, I bet the games you play you arent even old enough to own anyway

Come back with your mic after your balls have dropped...Although, with the dickheadedness of this thread your balls would cover your eyes and wouldnt be able to find your mic
It would be something though for your TV to suddenly start shouting at you back in the days of Lylat wars wouldn't it?

"Hey Fox,get this guy off me.Fox!I'm hit!...Oh that's just great Fox,now I'm dead because of you and your pansy shooting skills.What are you,an idiot?How in the name of General Pepper did you ever even be allowed the keys to the arwing!?You know what?I quit!"

Now,in the guy's defense,I've found people my own age-nineteen-and older online who are complete jackasses.I only got into online gaming recently to be fair,as up until now I couldn't afford a console that allowed it,but now I have my PC.I picked up Left 4 Dead in the Steam sale,and played it for weeks.So many times I saw people being kicked because they were shouting down the mic,or just generally being an idiot.I generally don't use mic's,mostly because I don't have one,but when I have the option when playing at my brother's house with him on his 360,I'll pass on using the headset.I don't want to have to listen to some guy screaming in my eye,whether they be prepubescent or post.

And let's face it,I would be willing to bet that the majority of us did not stick to the guidelines set out on games.I know I didn't.My older brother's said it was okay,and that was good enough,as they censored me on everything,whether it be games,books or movies.If they said it was okay,I was allowed to play.If they said no,I left it,knowing that I'd get there anyway.But usually,they'd judge it,and say that it was fine.I doubt I'm the only one on here who played a mature rated game before their eighteenth birthday.

Xero Scythe

Aug 7, 2009
HT_Black said:
I'm afraid I have trouble understanding your post, but from what I can gleam I believe that we are on the same metaphorical boat. To avoid being mocked in the future, I recommend commiting the Webster dictionary to memory, lowering your voice's pitch by two octaves, and speaking in a perfectly neutral accent. If all else fails, put your money where your mouth is and excercise your apparently notable abilities. In my experience, nothing quiets dissenters like a peace talk at muzzle velocity.

Also, for the record, this site was probably the wrong place to post this topic, given that the forum consists of 85% trained assholes, 12% militant athiests, 2.6% broken bitter bastards, and .4% decent people.
Win.

...But holy shit on rye, that block needs some freakin' punctuation! My OP friend, you write like a 7 year old.

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
Mr.Petey said:
Christ could you lot be any more harsh to this poor chap? He claims to be above the norm of teenage idiots who inhabit online gaming with their crass behaviour and language so why not cut him a break? So he's got a high pitched voice..meaning?
High pitched voices are generally fairly annoying, at least when they won't shut up, which is unfortunately too many young'ns. Also it's really hard to get them to do anything often. While he claims to be different, everyone is a dick on the internet now and again. No one is really different. 14 year olds just aren't mature enough most of the time to know when to stop.

connall said:
Yes we defend our video games tooth and nail from the media band together to fight that monster but where we truly falter is in our own community ONLINE GAMING. If you haven't told from the writing I am 14 I play online I am a good team player I follow instructions to the T but when I use my mic I am met with such hate towards myself OH I SEE the tone of my voice is what matters not the fact that I am a good player I don't TK no no no It's the voice yes I understand we kids can be pricks online but not all of us you stereotype us as you stereotype nerds gangsters women you hate us because we are young granted we are young but what would you rather have a good 14 year old or a TKing asshole who is 25, 30 or whatever some of you greet us with open arms in games you don't care as long as we play by the rules but others can hate us they can be as cruel as any asshole child on xbox live well. Why this sickens me, people like me are the next generation of gamers why seclude us you only send us into there camp and have more problems for yourself if we are being dicks fine but if not let us in on the strategy and make us feel welcome.
it's pitch not tone that is annoying but I understand your point

The problem is all 14 years claim to be better than other 14 year olds, unfortunately on the whole they just aren't mature enough and break down at some point. I understand it can be tough with being heckled constantly but honestly I don't even use my mic that often unless I need to relay data. You don't need to use your mic, not unless you are relaying tactical info only, if you say something and someone calls you out. Don't reply, just keep your talking down to info only and they really can't complain that you're helping.

People are always going to be assholes, unless the animosity of the internet is broken there is currently next to no repercussions for being a total ass on the internet, no one knows who are and getting banned from a single server isn't a big deal in the grand scheme.

If your looking for change then your out of luck until you start changing. I've been playing games forever, when I was 15ish games first starting getting voip and I got the same treatment, so I just stopped using a mic.

Also, godofallu makes a good point, you're technically not supposed to be in most of those games, Teen and Mature so being squeaky doesn't help that people already don't really want you there by merit of your age

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
godofallu said:

I don't care if you are good, you will never be as good as me and your skill isn't the problem anyways. It's that ear piercing voice.

I will mute you if I dislike the sound of your voice. I am not your friend just because you have the same game as me.
The words sparkle with the truth! godofallu is a god amongst men!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
godofallu said:

That's no good reason- what about all the women out there? Do you think I should be forbidden from online talking because I don't have as much testosterone?

I'm not much for kids being online- such activities tend to form bad habits -but if you're genuinely interested in being a good sport, then you'll have to search for people who also put that first. Its like how I have to sometimes search for people who won't yell, "Tits or GTFO."

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Personally I don't mute people because of their voice, I mute them because they are just annoying. I find it worse if you loud and annoying than if you have a high voice.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
godofallu said:

Well Everyone is just quoting this guy, so I guess this is just mail spam.
But This guy here has the idea. especially the last sentence.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
The Procrastinated End said:
godofallu said:

Lets continue the trend of quoting this guy.
Yes lets, he pretty much said it for all of us.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
somelameshite said:
Pretty much what godofallu said.

I'm not gonna quote him, because everyone else is and I don't wanna flood his inbox any more than needed.
That's the whole point.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
MisterM2402 said:
Or how about a roll and square/sliced sausage with a tattie scone and brown sauce? Oh yes. :D But also, I've never heard that insult before - it doesn't seem to make any sense anyway :S
I've never been one for brown sauce/tomato sauce really but yeh, a roll with both sausage and tattie scone is brilliant! Pity there's nowhere I could get one at this hour... Another insult we often here is because we're Scottish we're poor and homeless and living in a game. Though then you just ask them how we're able to sit playing a game on XBL if that's the case.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
The voice can be annoying as kids often have their mics way too loud.

They often ramble/talk a lot and say things that are completely irrelevant to the game/situation.

Use excessive profanity in a poorly skilled manner, making them sound dumb. I don't have a problem. I can be quite vulgar myself, it's about how and when you deliver it.

Adults can be just as bad. I go in a case by case basis. If you don't do those things, I don't care who you are and I don't mind playing with you. All that being said, the gaming community isn't like it used to be and I don't enjoy online games with strangers nearly as much as I did years ago.

And I fucking HATE the dumbass names people use in games these days. Especially shooter game players. They should be PRONOUNCEABLE and not idiotic gibberish and weird symbols.

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
I dont mind playing with young uns - i mean to be fair my main game is wow these days its hard to escape you lot (;P joke joke wink wink nudge nudge). Nah I mean geniunely i dont mind, just so long as i'm not subjected to you being immature, yeah we all have a laugh but i grow tired of really young guys trolling. Voice wise? not bothered, L4D2 speak is all good and when I come across you guys generally there isnt a problem, just dont mass spam the "hey! ....hey guys!........hey I need attention" that gets boring real fast.

You yourself have spoken relatively maturely here so go figure you'd likely be safe from the mute button :p

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
dont worry, bud. itll inevitably stop at some point.

its unfortunate that non-annoying kids get such a bad rap just because their voices are still high-pitched.

the way i see it, as long as they talk quietly, it doesnt bother me

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
How high or low a person's voice is does not bother me. What does bother me is if they act immature. I don't like to talk to or listen to people like that so I usually mute everyone in the lobby before the match starts. The only time I will not mute someone is if they are on my friends list.