We Need Toxic Players, According to Orcs Must Die Developer

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
antipunt said:
Alcaste said:
There's since been a clarification that was brought to my attention on their twitter. Take a peek:

https://orcsmustdie.com/news/toxic-players-will-be-incinerated-and-gibletized
LMAO. Yeah this confirms it. I don't think he really knew what the term 'toxic' meant...
Pretty quick for backpedaling.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
antipunt said:
Alcaste said:
There's since been a clarification that was brought to my attention on their twitter. Take a peek:

https://orcsmustdie.com/news/toxic-players-will-be-incinerated-and-gibletized
LMAO. Yeah this confirms it. I don't think he really knew what the term 'toxic' meant...
How does someone not know that? How do you misconstrue "toxic" that way? I mean, seriously.

I'm starting to understand why CCP's CEO had the fiction department write his apology, because it's beginning to seem like developers... well, develop some sort of reflex forcing them to shove their feet in their mouths every time they opine publicly on anything.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Dude... what is the DEAL with game devs saying stupid stupid shit recently?
Did all the PR guys just go on strike or something?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Eh, yeah, not sure about that. A passionate, dedicated and hardcore playerbase is absolutely a thing every game desiring longevity should covet. That, however, is totally separate from the toxic players. There is literally no connection between the two. For every dedicated toxic player that sticks with the game there are untold other players who may have become dedicated players that gave up on the game or didn't even try it because of that toxicity.

Also, I think it's important to consider why a toxic player might be encouraged to stick around. Are they really sticking around because they have become attached to your game and are dedicated to it? Or are they sticking around because something in the way your game is designed encourages trollish and toxic behaviour such that they are actually getting their enjoyment not from your game at all but instead just from how it allows them to treat others badly?

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
"Toxic" comments in multiplayer games are a lot like trash talking in sports - it's generally accepted as part of the competitive atmosphere. What developers should do is seperate matches that allow trash talking from ones that don't - similar to how MMOs have player-killing servers and non-player killing servers. That way both sides will be happy.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Anyone who's played the Source Engine mod, 'Dystopia' should wholeheartedly agree that Toxic players are NOT FUCKING GOOD for a game's longevity.

My clan (at the time's) administration policies could not keep a dying game alive. But, fuck. We tried.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Passionate != toxic. Passionate people are the ones who give a damn. Toxic people are the people with bad attitudes who ruin the game for others. It's nice to have people who defend, but once they attack back they are not wanted. From a developer's standpoint, I would rather have a small dedicated fanbase than a lot of players who harass the shit out of each other.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
1. I'm so rich and healthy, I get to eat chocolate every day!
2. As a result, I'm starting to get cavities.
3. Therefore, I need to throw away my toothbrush, in order to cultivate these cavities and make them even wider!
4. ???
5. Profit!

Guess I can't disagree with everyone else, in other words. That's some pretty goddamned severe "cart before the horse" mentality.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
I disagree. People like that tend to drive other people away from games. If the atmosphere is toxic, new players are going to feel completely unwelcome and abandon the game. They may also talk about their terrible experience, thus driving away more people who won't even give the game a chance because they don't want to deal with it.

Honestly, I think this guy is using the wrong term here. For most of us, 'Toxic' are the people who swear every other word, insult new players, sling racial and sexual slurs around, and basically just make the entire game completely unfriendly. It sounds like the the type of people this guy is talking about are die-hard fans, the ones that will still buy a Sonic or Mario game even though they already know it's not going to be good.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I basically see toxic players as players who ruin the game for everyone else. Passion has nothing to do with that. Toxicity can come from griefing, trolling, or just a really really bad personality. I suppose the question is, how much toxicity should a developer tolerate and what kinds of toxicity should be off limits?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I haven't seen this much bullshit since that video of mcdonalds beef cows partying with laxatives.

gittonsxv

Mar 29, 2011
really?
he thinks that retards doing nothing but messing up your game or just screaming every single offensive thing they can are more passionate and love the game more than the person who is calmly just trying to play the damn thing?

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
Are you serious? Assholes are never good for anything. They're a turn off to new players. They keep new people from buying your game and the give your game a bad reputation, like Dark Souls unfortunately has due to it's hardcore fans(mainly the kind of hardcore fan that jumps down your throat if you say that you didn't like something about the game). And you need the new players, because new players mean new fans, these new fans will replace the fans that got tired of the game. the only thing keeping toxic assholes around does is cause the game and its fanbase to stagnate.

I know that I'm not the only that feels like this, but the assholes in the fanbase are the entire reason that I refuse to give Dark Souls a second chance. Is it unfair to the developers of Dark Souls? Maybe, probably, but I have a finite number of heartbeats and like hell I'm going to waste them trying to navigate through the "passionate" fans of a game that I need help in.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I think it's a good thing if your game attracts assholes and people play regardless, because it means that they love the game enough to put up with those assholes. The fact that MOBAs are pretty dang famous for this and yet still manage to be absurdly popular I feel says a lot about the game's basic formula.

The assholes are definitely NOT a good thing in and of themselves, though. >.> Seriously man, wtf?

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
Wow. Great job orcs must die developers. Way to make sure noone ever buys your game atleast noone that isnt a screaming bitchy whiny asshole. Well hell atleast if this works there will be less shitstains to clog other games.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My original thought before reading the update. This guys is an idiot. Toxic players may be passionate, but they drive away newcomers. They make me want to not play, not play more. They've ruined the fun of League for me, they would ruin the fun of this game as well. I'm passionate for League, but I'm still not a dick to other players.

My new thought. How in the hell does this guy not know what toxic means? It's a pretty big thing in these MOBAs. It's been like stupid PR week this month.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
yeah, dont think he actually talk about toxic people but rather people that criticize his game and other players.

Cna toxic players be useful? sure as videos on youtube to laugh at thus popularizing your game. i went to see a video about some kid throwing a fit on TF2, i ended up seeing somone being pro at spy. the kid quickly becmae irrelevant, the player playing the spy was my attention.

The Rogue Wolf said:
I'm starting to understand why CCP's CEO had the fiction department write his apology, because it's beginning to seem like developers... well, develop some sort of reflex forcing them to shove their feet in their mouths every time they opine publicly on anything.
You can than Bioware for that for labeling any criticism on thier forums as "toxic" and thus coining the term "toxic gamer" in popular use.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
"Haters gonna hate," says Orcs Must Die developer
"Haters gonna hate,"
Credibility lost.

But no seriously, who is this guy and why does he sound sheltered from online communities?
If this passion=being an asshole period mentality keeps getting passed around PR departments, I think I might lose my damn mind altogether.