We Need Toxic Players, According to Orcs Must Die Developer

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
While I don't really agree with him, I do find it stupid how all the big developers are cracking down on toxic players like they're a plague scouring the bountiful field of online gaming.

Seriously, is a mute button not enough for some players?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I think the Orcs Must Die developers probably haven't had enough toxic players to know just how high maintenance they are yet.

DoubleU12

Oct 3, 2011
I dunno. I don't want people to be labeled as "Toxic" Yeah some players are asses all the time but there are some that are just don't take losing well and throw tantrums.

Then there are people who are victims of circumstance. Not to brag but I'm REALLY good at SoulCalibur 4 online. 1 game I fought a Cassandra who would use her really fast shield move and follow it up with a large combo. Now the combo was always different and unique each time but it always started with the shield attack. So I would attack, she could block and use the shield attack before I recovered from my attack and hit me with a long combo.

So I changed my strategy to exclusively moves that made it difficult to use that shield move on me after my attack and punish her for trying to hit me with it.

By the end of the match I won but after that this guy got extremely upset and called me a F-ing spammer and the likes. That seems EXTREMELY uncalled for. I was a good player fighting another good player, however I turned what made his strategy powerful into a liability but as a result I reduced the moves I used. Does this make me a toxic player because he couldn't figure out that I wasn't lucky and not blindly mashing buttons? I don't think so, he likely would have complained if I won by some other means anyway so who cares. I didn't have a mic available and I wasn't about to try and explain myself to some guy who can't accept defeat gracefully.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Genocidicles said:
While I don't really agree with him, I do find it stupid how all the big developers are cracking down on toxic players like they're a plague scouring the bountiful field of online gaming.

Seriously, is a mute button not enough for some players?
Sometimes the mute button just isn't enough. Look at Ultratwinkie's post. You think you can just mute that?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Maybe you need them because they pay you money, but i don't want to deal with them, but i have to admit that it's pretty satisfying to defeat them and watch them squirm until they start talking about skull****ing my mother, then it gets weird.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
I'd be willing to bet he was a Sullon Zek fan if he played Everquest.

Griefers (since when did Toxic Player become the norm???) are a vital part of gaming community, everyone needs their scum of their earth, love to hate em type, but they're predators and need a good population of sheep to feed on which means keeping them low in number.

Sadly the supply more than fills the demand.

Are you serious? Assholes are never good for anything. They're a turn off to new players.
They promote intense passion, rivalry and fighting. Uniting others into crushing them.

Rallos Zek would have been nothing without it's PK population and with it it gained a feeling of the Wild West with players enforcing their own social order.

trytoguess

Jun 18, 2012
Hmm, so looking at the followup the Orcs Must Die folks posted it seems that everyone is actually in agreement. The devs simply used a word in an improper way and now there's a minor bruhaha. In short nothing to see here, move along.

Sayuma

Jun 18, 2014
CelestDaer said:
Yeah, sounds like rationalization to me... um, developer, you are aware that you're in an abusive relationship, right?
Shh Shh. Just let it happen.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
generally when i go to play my games i like my games to either have toxic as a story element or gameplay (i.e. shooting / driving over people who scream at me) why should i put up with uncivil behaviour because someone's pacifier wasn't sugar coated