We Really, Really Don't Need New Consoles

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
El Portero said:
Markunator said:
itsthesheppy said:
PREACH IT!

I hear ya, man. PC Gaming Master Race. Consoles can go fuck themselves, that entire industry can burn for all I care.
El Portero said:
Welcome to the glorious PC master race, Yahtzee. We saved a chair for you.
Aaand that's why people call PC gamers "elitists". You're giving us a bad name, fucking stop it!
I keep forgetting. You can't be facetious on the internet; no one will get it.
Protip: When someone is referencing racial purification, they are either A) a neonazi or B) joking on some level.

Sorry for the confusion.
That's really not true. (the protip)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poes_law

El Portero

Mar 14, 2010
144 said:
El Portero said:
Markunator said:
itsthesheppy said:
PREACH IT!

I hear ya, man. PC Gaming Master Race. Consoles can go fuck themselves, that entire industry can burn for all I care.
El Portero said:
Welcome to the glorious PC master race, Yahtzee. We saved a chair for you.
Aaand that's why people call PC gamers "elitists". You're giving us a bad name, fucking stop it!
I keep forgetting. You can't be facetious on the internet; no one will get it.
Protip: When someone is referencing racial purification, they are either A) a neonazi or B) joking on some level.

Sorry for the confusion.
That's really not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poes_law
Umm, yeah. That's pretty much what I said. I guess we're in agreement.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
El Portero said:
Umm, yeah. That's pretty much what I said. I guess we're in agreement.
Eh, it is slightly different.

The reason it can be hard to make jokes on the internet is that it is easy to lose context or to convey inflection the way that tone of voice normally colors language. Not having proper tone of voice, but only text, makes a lot of intricacies of communication more difficult.

Poe's Law is a thing that has to do with jokes or parody being hard to tell from reality because there are so many people who say things identical to the jokes %100 seriously. There is a huge explosion of PC gaming elitism going on right now. To the point that it can be hard for people to tell the difference between the jokes and the serious claims.

Meaning it isn't the internet's fault so many people are taking "PC gaming master race" jokes seriously.
xdiesp said:
Never Yahtzee has been more wrong about a game, than with Super Mario Galaxy 2. That game's levels were ever new and their gimmicks so smart that entire indie games would be based on a single one.
This isn't new news, but Yahtzee is generally incorrect about Nintendo. And many people think for good reason that Yahtzee is biased against Nintendo. Nintendo is bright and happy, makes child-friendly games, does not produce systems that are common for Western first person shooters to arrive on, and certainly not Valve games of any variety. And of all things is become a major player in the Japanese RPG industry today perhaps getting behind the Japanese RPG more than Square Enix. A genre of video game that Yahtzee distastes, probably for many of the same reasons she doesn't like Nintendo games.

It would seem that Nintendo content and aesthetic just isn't to Yahtzee's tastes. Which is probably why he is so negative toward Nintendo in general.

While there is a lot of criticism to make of Nintendo. From their business practices to their hardware manufacturing. Yahtzee has gone after critically acclaimed high quality Nintendo games time after time. As well as some of the most beloved jRPGs from this generation like Valkyria Chronicles. I see a trend of Yahtzee's biases here.

As much as I think there might be weight behind the statement that the gaming industry is tired of consoles and doesn't need more. Or perhaps dedicated gaming hardware in general. It is going to come less strong in its effect from someone who appears to have less respect for the console discipline of software development in general.

I cannot fathom any reason why Yahtzee would hold Super Mario Galaxy as a lesser game than say, Portal, other than bias towards Nintendo.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
EstrogenicMuscle said:
I cannot fathom any reason why Yahtzee would hold Super Mario Galaxy as a lesser game than say, Portal, other than bias towards Nintendo.
Haha, that's rich.

To some degree, reviews do revolve around personal tastes so you will run into reviewers that will completely disagree with you. For me, I found the portion of your post that I quoted above to be almost ridiculously silly and I've owned every Nintendo console until the WiiU. My eyes still hate me for buying a virtual boy. But I think (and most gamers agree) that Portal is a sort of masterpiece of innovation and story telling. It'd be like complaining why anyone could possibly consider the new Spiderman reboot as anything less than Casablanca or The Shawshank Redemption. Sure, it's good or well recieved, but it's not a masterpiece of cinema.

To that effect, Nintendo has gone steadily downhill. I hope they make it through this generation after the misstep that history will call the WiiU. I hope you can wade through Yahtzee's dislike of many Nintendo titles and pay attention to his legitimate and sometimes objective criticism of the way they're doing things.

Quick, name a few new Nintendo IPs developed in the past decade (2003-2013) that you really enjoy and want to see more of. Don't think in terms of individual games like a new Zelda/Metroid/Mario/Kirby/Metroid game but rather a completely new IP that they created based in a unique world. How about in the past two decades (1993-2013)?

Over the past two decades, even with the Playstation only getting in around 1994/1995 (Japan/US) and Xbox appearing in 2001, both platforms and parent companies have produced/developed a ton of new titles that I'm genuinely happy exist. Perhaps it's because of their relatively young age that they're popping out so many great new IPs but that doesn't excuse what should have been the biggest boy in town dropping the ball for so long.

Consider how old and how thoroughly milked these classic titles are.

Mario: 1981
Metroid: 1986
Kirby: 1992 (hah, just outside the arbitrary two decade time I set up)
Link/Zelda: 1986
Tetris: 1985
Star Fox: February 21st 1993 (just outside of 20 years, but within my arbitrary parimeters)
Kid Icarus: 1986

When they make a new IP now, it typically centers around all the old IPs. Take Super Smash Bros for example. It is technically a new IP but is also completely vested in old IPs. So I'm not sure if it's honestly a new IP or a continuation of multiple franchises all coming together to brawl.

I'd say Nintendo has a few franchises that are new enough to count. Pokemon, Pikmin and Animal crossing.

All of those fall just outside the decade qualifier but do land in the two decades time frame and don't include relying on old IPs. But seriously, where has Nintendo been for the last decade? I mean, you do have several new game types for the Wii like Wii Sports, but those are more peripheral games demonstrating functionality than actually having characters and plots. Still, I'd permit them just like I'd have permitted a sports or driving/racing game.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
New consoles coming are going to be facing the same problem as Blue Ray... yes they are superior, but fact is its technology that is to expensive that has come out way to soon. Expecting everybody to convert because advertisement tells us to and because some people have the money & some willing to take the risk of purchasing it early before theres any reasonable selection of games? It all really comes down to how much better it is & timing. I think they are going to screw up both.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
EstrogenicMuscle said:
Eh, it is slightly different.

The reason it can be hard to make jokes on the internet is that it is easy to lose context or to convey inflection the way that tone of voice normally colors language. Not having proper tone of voice, but only text, makes a lot of intricacies of communication more difficult.

Poe's Law is a thing that has to do with jokes or parody being hard to tell from reality because there are so many people who say things identical to the jokes %100 seriously. There is a huge explosion of PC gaming elitism going on right now. To the point that it can be hard for people to tell the difference between the jokes and the serious claims.
eh I think you are missing the point. PC's are superior in everyway, more powerful, more customizable (modding),
more precise controls, most peripheral devices, multifunctional, internet allows much higher level of information sources and content than the rather limited online console ect

As for money. You can get a decent machine for $500, slightly higher than the marked down price of a console but pretty close. It's just easier to say that we're joking in order to avoid arguments. As for any insulting/bigotry its mostly done in jest because we clearly know the other side is either trolling, ignorant or in denial because they shelled out day 1 for a console they don't have any decent games on, major buyers remorse. Or are just arguing because they feel as though they have been threatened, because of any perceived insults made to the other side.

There are a small amount of people who say both are good and own both PC and consoles. I agree with that! I own a Wii, xbox 360 and a PC, but thats not the question being asked. The question is "which is better", if you don't want to hear the answer or want the answer to be whatever you want to be then perhaps you shouldn't ask the question in the first place. A wise man once said, the best way to answer a difficult problem is to avoid bringing it up.

The only real advantage is the social aspect of being on a coach with friends hence why casual gaming is the big thing. Its the reason why alot of console games are getting coop as main features, and why xbox live arcade is booming.
PC has coop and online play also though, MMO's in particular are considered the ultimate social gaming experience but what makes it really work is whether you are playing with friends, so consoles make that real easy and so have the advantage there.

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
I completely agree (with yahtzee), I really don't want a new console.
and that's not because I think a pc is better, no, I just think my ps3 is still perfectly fine.
so I'm not gonna buy a new console,
there are plenty of games on ps3 I haven't played yet, and they will only get cheaper.
once I've run out of games to play, I could still go crazy and buy a wii for a buck and play a couple of games worth playing on it,
maybe after that I'll switch to a ps6 or something,
but damn, I really don't see any reason to buy a new console now

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Negatempest said:
The reason the Wii didn't stand to well with "hardcore" gamers was more than just a simple gimmick. To play a Wii game had the player use so much physical excursion that players would tire out quickly from games that were enjoyable to play for more than 30 minutes. So much physical movement from the player to make an avatar move in a specific manner is far more annoying than having a touch screen on a game control.

To me, the touch screen is more than a gimmick. A gimmick in a video game console or game is when a "feature" is terribly implemented. When it is done right, it's now a feature. :p I have a Xbox 360 and a ps3 and have already noticed how many shooters I have in my library compared to action/adventure games and fighting games. Though the game that sold me the most on the touch screen was not Mario or Nintendo Land. It was Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. A game that allows the player to decide was secondary HUD options that they don't want to clutter the TV screen to be displayed on the gamepad screen. And I LOVE it so much. Do I "need" to see my comrades health? No, but I have it on the second screen just to see who is not healing. -_-

P.S. I have a gaming PC as well...but Monster hunter man....Monster Hunter O_O
That's a very harsh generalization of Wii games. Your description of heavy physical movement might describe some shovelware or launch games that felt they had to include the motion control to be good, but games like Metroid Prime 3 used it to make aiming feel more natural than shifting an analog stick back and forth and for turning levers and such, and No More Heroes used mainly the buttons, and the motion was for quick finishers or changing stances.
But I absolutely agree with you on the touch screen and Monster Hunter. I've been playing Wind Waker HD lately, and having that second screen at hand is wonderful. When you would previously have to pause the game, pull up the full map, remember where you wanted to go, then return to the game feels hilariously outdated now that you can just glance down and do all that in a second. It's the same with changing items; go to the inventory tab, drag item to the equip slot, done. No more pausing then scrolling through menus to find what you need. This is what makes having a new console worth it, it does something different that games can take advantage of that can't be done on an older system.