Weakest protagonist EVAR!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The cake. Let's face it, it was the character that drove the story along. Yet in the end, it was a lie. Weak. I definately could have done a better job than it, as you said potato, by actually EXISTING. Total failure.

Well, that or master chief. For the supposed bad ass he's thought to be, he barely saved earth. (you can't exclude characters because you're afraid people will pick him/her!)

But seriously, i may have to agree with khell_sennet. Jellybeans? lol. Now had they been all flavor beans, with most being, say, cyanide flavor......but I digress.

Senor Pantz

Dec 8, 2007
Damn it, everyone always beats me to it, I was too late to rant in favour of Guybrush being able to hold his breath for 10 minutes, and I didn't get to vote first for Raiden from MGS 2.

Biggest rip off game ever, why would you need to play as anyone but Snake?

GregorV

Aug 22, 2006
The L-shaped block in Tetris. Most other blocks allow you to plan ahead and prepare terrain for whatever comes next, but with the L-shaped block you are lucky if you can squeeze it anywhere without making holes or a downright mess. And there's two of them!

Captain Planet

Dec 8, 2007
Jack Carver from Far Cry.
"You'd better have a really good reason for not telling me about the apeshit circus freak with the giant fucking arm!"

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
LisaB1138 said:
Heather from SH3. No special powers or weapons.
Except once you get the Katana she's basically able to destroy anything she comes across. I'd say all the other Silent Hill Protagonists (have yet to play origins but I hear its rubbish) fit the bill, but their supposed to be weak and flawed, it makes the games more interesting and scary. Especially James from Silent Hill 2, he's definately the 'weakest' protagonist, especially if you get the games darker endings.

Oh and am I the only one here who kinda liked Tidus and how he actualyl grew up and became less of a putz as the game went on? The characters that I hated from Final Fantasy's were Vaan and Squall. Behold the adventures of "Useless Kid" and "Emo Boy" now in their very own game without an interesting overarching plot or a stronger cast of supporting characters to hold them up.

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
Everyone in your team in COD4. Don't get me wrong, I like the game and the characters, but what's the point of having an officer in command that doesn't do much, especially if he's invulnerable (except scripted scenes)?

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
The Potato Lord said:
(or regular human one they have are sub-bar)are stupid and basically make you feel like you could do thier job better.
It's "subpar."

I'm not sure I understand this thread. Maybe it's because I feel that people who aren't cut like Rambo have redeeming qualities that make them in their own right "badass." That's kind of the point of fantasy and games in general right? Giving someone the tools to do something they couldn't normally do. In this respect perhaps you could have been clearer in your original statement as to what "weak" means to you.

Like someone said above, Gordon Freeman pretty much topples an alien empire with a crowbar and his wits. In my opinion that makes him pretty fucking badass. of course he is just a scientist, not exactly the kind of guy you expect to be in a drinking beer with The Undertaker while driving monster trucks over pools of alligators and piranha.

I personally feel that the characters like Duke Nukem who run into places guns blazing without care for strategy are simply ineffective. Not just as iconic story figures but how they represent tactics as well. To me, that equates as "weak."

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
wilsonscrazybed said:
The Potato Lord said:
(or regular human one they have are sub-bar)are stupid and basically make you feel like you could do thier job better.
It's "subpar."

I'm not sure I understand this thread. Maybe it's because I feel that people who aren't cut like Rambo have redeeming qualities that make them in their own right "badass." That's kind of the point of fantasy and games in general right? Giving someone the tools to do something they couldn't normally do. In this respect perhaps you could have been clearer in your original statement as to what "weak" means to you.

Like someone said above, Gordon Freeman pretty much topples an alien empire with a crowbar and his wits. In my opinion that makes him pretty fucking badass. of course he is just a scientist, not exactly the kind of guy you expect to be in a drinking beer with The Undertaker while driving monster trucks over pools of alligators and piranha.

I personally feel that the characters like Duke Nukem who run into places guns blazing without care for strategy are simply ineffective. Not just as iconic story figures but how they represent tactics as well. To me, that equates as "weak."
Absolutely well said. Exactly how I've always felt.

Also, i may have to change my choice from earlier to Commander Keen. I mean, for the love of god, he's already wearing the stupid helmet and he uses a pogo-stick.

Kraden

Feb 21, 2008
nilpferdkoenig said:
I'm not to sure about the weakest (somewhere around a lvl 1 priest in WoW) but the dumbest has to be Samus. She looses those power ups at the beginning of every game and quests to find them again!
Two things:
Priests owns.
Samus Owns.

Anyways, weakest protagonist would be Koh from Azure Dreams. Or Zetta in book form.

LisaB1138

Oct 5, 2007
GloatingSwine said:
Except when you get the right costume, at which point she can shoot laserbeams from her eyes.
I don't think one should include bonus play options in the discussion. Bonus play's purpose is to give a player a different experience from the initial game.

And being a teenage girl makes her weaker than a grown man. After all, she couldn't even reach into a toilet to get something. ;)