Not open for further replies.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So I don't think this really belongs in current events since I have no article for this and it's not on the same level as most things we post there but...

A reddit called r/animemes has apparently descended into total anarchy after mods began banning and censoring posters that used the term "trap".

Which has led to a revolt of the nature any self respecting weeb would expect, with rather funny results.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
I guess it makes sense that the weebs would only be roused to neckbearded manchild rage only when their fetish shit gets banned. I don't get why they care so much when this is just one anime reddit out of hundreds, but I don't care enough to find out the inner workings of their minds.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I guess it makes sense that the weebs would only be roused to neckbearded manchild rage only when their fetish shit gets banned.
It hasn't been. The mods only prefer that you don't refer to a character as a "trap", but instead use words like "femboy"

Is 'Trap' an official anime designation, like tsundere or otaku?
No, it's a western thing, from the Admiral Akbar meme.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Okay...context? Im missing something, if its from Star wars memes, calling something a trap is just that. Its a trap. What's the reason for the ban?
Because of political correctness. The mods think it's not polite to refer to a boy who dresses and acts like a girl as a "trap", because that carries the connotation that they're doing something malicious in order to trick a straight guy into falling for them, or something.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Because of political correctness. The mods think it's not polite to refer to a boy who dresses and acts like a girl as a "trap", because that carries the connotation that they're doing something malicious in order to trick a straight guy into falling for them, or something.
The weird thing is that I've heard that from people that don't like the term, but I've only heard it used in the positive, like people being into 'traps.'

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Wait that's way different to what 'Its a trap' meme from Star Wars refers to. It 'Trap' in anime terms means a cross-dresser, that doesn't relate to Star Wars in any way.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Wait that's way different to what 'Its a trap' meme from Star Wars refers to. It 'Trap' in anime terms means a cross-dresser, that doesn't relate to Star Wars in any way.
I know, but that's how the term evolved. It originally came from the Star Wars meme being used to point out that a character that looks like a girl is actually a boy. Like in a "don't fall for it" sense. That's how "trap" in anime came to refer to a cross-dresser.

Edify thyself! https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trap

Actually, I might be wrong, because that page says "Around the same time, shortly after the launch of the imageboard community 4chan, the phrase became closely associated with traps"

So this seems to suggest that the word isn't borrowed from the meme, but rather had a life of its own before the two became associated together.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I know, but that's how the term evolved. It originally came from the Star Wars meme being used to point out that a character that looks like a girl is actually a boy. Like in a "don't fall for it" sense. That's how "trap" in anime came to refer to a cross-dresser.

Edify thyself! https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trap

Actually, I might be wrong, because that page says "Around the same time, shortly after the launch of the imageboard community 4chan, the phrase became closely associated with traps"

So this seems to suggest that the word isn't borrowed from the meme, but rather had a life of its own before the two became associated together.
Gotcha that makes much more sense. And yeah any time 4chan gets involved things get...sticky.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
If this is the worst weebs can do, might as well keep them down. Anything similar we could do to gamers? They've had Reddit for themselves for far too long.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I heard about this but I don't use reddit so I don't much care. I find it silly that chars literally made to look indistinguishable from girls to trick people into finding them hot only reveal themselves to be dudes is where the battle lines are drawn. I mean, that char is literally trapping straight people into finding people of the same sex to be hot, that's the joke.

Whatever ramifications it may have to real life trans people is irrelevant because a trap isn't trans, a trap just is absurdly over the top effeminate and indistinguishable from a girl. Traps still think of themselves as dudes. Look at Astolfo from Fate, he just acts and dresses like a girl cause he's insane because of the moon's influence (literal lunatic), he still proudly proclaims to be a man's man despite that. Also he's a really cool and funny dude. You just kinda learn to look past the dress (unless it's your thing or something).

I think people who are offended on the behalf of trans people just really don't get traps. Traps are not nonbinary or gay or trans or a-gender. They're just dudes who identify as dudes with feminine appearances. Now, you CAN have a trap who is also gay, but that is not the default.

The closest thing in real life to traps is drag queens, only where their costumes makes them not look like drag queens but like top tier runway supermodels, and their behavior is completely stereotypically feminine too (not over the top performative like drag queens), while still claiming to be male.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
*quietly comes out of hiding*

Not this again... As a person who "tries" to identity as a "trap" I don't find it personally offensive because its what I want to be as well as having a word I can easily describe myself with. But this feels like discourse over the anime community as a whole which is pretty common as you'd probably heard with the Uzaki-chan backlash which I'll leave at that. Maybe I'm too oblivious because I want to be that thing but I do think its taking things too far. I have trans friends and they honestly don't really care and I don't call them traps either because its not what they are. Its really a fine line but its probably more political correctness going on.

Idk maybe I'm dumb. I do at least know where the origins of the term comes from. I just don't know what to really say because sometimes I feel like I'm part of the problem. I do want trans people to be treated with respect but I guess people will abuse things to the point where no fun is allowed. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.