Weird Advice Your Parents Give You

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
maninahat said:
My parents are generally too sensible to give daft advice.
My parents were too daft to give good advice. Fortunately, that much didn't transfer into my birth.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
My mom's big on insight meditation, so she often advises me to keep my mind present and not let it wander to things like what I'm planning to do after work (good advice by the way, just hard to follow through on). Days later, she'll hand me a book on meditation.

Also, my father's probably tried each and every diet on the planet, and each time he takes on on, he becomes very preachy about following it.

Also, I avoid discussing personal struggles with my father, because they usually end up like this:
Me: I want to do Y, but I'm having trouble doing X
Dad: Well, then the answer is simple. Do X.
As far as he's concerned, personal limitations don't exist. You either do something or you don't. Yoda would be proud.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
"You don't have to marry poor." - Dad
He was half joking so I'm gonna skip all of stuff about how financial situations affect marriage or "love conquers all" or all of that stuff because he was saying it like
"Marry someone rich, take her hiking find a nice cliff to take a picture. 'Back up a bit, a little more, a little more...'"
He never meant it, one of those "I want to but I never would" things but still, you don't have to marry poor.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Those fucking people burning up all the forest, they should be lit on fire themselves, eye for an eye!

Not advice by any means, but a damn scary comment my father once said when watching the news :/

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
"If a dog tries to kick you, bite him in the teeth." That's something my mom said that I didn't let her live down for a while.

Most of my parents advice has been, basically, "if you try something new you'll die." Then they wonder why I don't like visiting...

ExDeath730

Mar 13, 2012
I guess i could say it was the weirdest because of the advice, and that it was in one of those father-son bonding moments. But i was a kid, and got into a fight, i was suspended, since i really beat up three guys who were trying to bully me. My mom freaked out and wanted my dad to spank me, but he...

He picked me in school, and while going home, he just stopped at the comics shop for me to get some comics (mainly Batman and Spider-Man stuff), when we get home, we were in the entrance, my mom was already expecting us there really mad at me, and my dad still composed asked her to getting inside.

So, there he asked for me to tell him the entire thing, what happened, how it happened, and i answered him. I was never the lying kid type, so i told the truth, how theses guys were trying to bully me since the start of the year, and that they tried to attack me because of my answers. That was when he told me:

"Look, you did the right thing. No one has the right to take one hair out of you, and people who goes into violence lose all reason right there. But if someone is stupid enough to try to use violence against you, i'm giving you full permission to fight back and defend yourself, and i hope you send them to the hospital."

So yeah...That's one advice i'm passing along to my kid, it helped me a lot through school.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
My dad (who is a Vietnam vet; this is important) once taught me the best ways to kill a guy with a knife.

nariette

Jun 9, 2013
I once mentioned to my dad that I didn't like going alone outside at night. He didn't interpret this as "my teenage daughter is scared of meeting shady people at night" but rather "my teenage daughter is still scared of the dark". He sent me outside at 1 am to walk the dog by myself in an effort to take away my "fear of darkness". I'm not sure if that was the right approach to solving this problem.