Weirdest unneccesarry things you do in games.

Grevling

Oct 11, 2010
No matter what game I play, I wont play the evil side. I know they are just NPC's but I still feel guilty if I do something mean.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I was playing Far Cry 2 recently (almost a great game but tripped up at the last moment and fell into an open tank of sewage; dont' buy it) and there's a feature where if you die an NPC friend will show up and revive you. It is sort of balanced in that you then have to protect their thick ass and you have to 're-activate' them afterwards so they'll come save you the next time, but I never used it. Well that's not true I did use it once when my last save was two hours prviously, but apart from that if I died, quickload it is!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Buying and using all the British weapons in Fallout New Vegas (Oh Classic Fallout Weapons mod, how would I live without you) no matter how awful a couple of them are.

Always carrying a Lefaucheux 20 shot revolver in Mount and Blade 1866, despite the fact its crap.
(This thing http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/images/d6057c640358036b890ac394c46abb46.jpg )

Organising my inventory in Mount and Blade, so that the items form patterns... ..nothing OCD there.

In RTS games I always find myself building at least one of every unit, and I don't know why I do that.

Clicking every single conversation option in an NPC's chat window in Oblivion, Fallout 3 and NV. Because? Otherwise you get some options in different shades to the others, and that just annoys me next time I want to sell them shit I pinched off a raider.

LordDarkPhantom

Apr 23, 2011
whtkid6969 said:
Something i did in COD after my internet being down for about 48 hours was i tried to not die. If i DID Die, then i would have to restart the entire the entire thing. I was on Vetern. I was in tears of joy when i finally got it. I must admit that the ending was a crap-load better after that much work.
That's impossible! I, sir, call this a lie! (Unless I have misunderstood epicly.)

Some of the CHECKPOINTS of Black Ops (veteran diff) took me two-three hours to complete.. I don't see how you could do the whole thing in one go, even if you mean doing the whole level in one go.

LordDarkPhantom

Apr 23, 2011
Unia said:
In Oblivion I always switch my Dark Brotherhood gear to civilian clothes in towns, despite the fact nobody notes or cares what I wear. I used to have a seperate armor even for just hunting deer in the wilderness because I imagined my superiors would not be happy with me using the sacred tools of the Night Mother for something so trivial.
You remind me of my friend who role plays like a *****. Even before swimming in Oblivion, he takes all his armour off, and then puts it back on afterwards. He listens to every speech without skipping it.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
I try to kill every enemy (in games that permit it) with the environment. So, stuff like throwing people off cliffs in Crysis, or with exploding barrels.

So that if there's ever a court case against the protagonist, he/she can claim that every kill was an "accident".

fudgemonkey118

Apr 2, 2010
I'm super OCD when it comes to gaming stuff, like I check rooms to make sure I've got everything, but if something is going to take me a long time (like finding all the feathers in Assassin's Creed 2, a game I have completed 4 times to get the two attached achievements, or completing all the Truth puzzles) I'm far too lazy to bother with it, as I have 15 other games I could play.
Things like getting all the guns in RDR Single Player, which allow me to go and shoot stuff for a while, then sell it to get the money, plus I then have the reward of being able to use the gun, I tend to see through to conclusion

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
GTA .... build up a large knot of jacked vehicles, then set off an explosive chain reaction...

GT ... drive around the track in the wrong direction repeatedly, bashing into the other cars as hard and fast as possible. They punt into the air. It's strangely addictive.

Also spend far too long tuning one of the gearbox settings to give best possible top speed around the test track without taking an insane amount of time to get up to it or to recover from an off... and taking quite a while setting the other in a similar manner for each race, unless it's an easy win regardless of what I do (and the nitro strength-vs-longetivity setting, too). The most anal one for that is something really low powered on either the Nurburgring or Costa di Amalfi (either normal or reverse). Can you get a 2CV to both get up Kesselchen AND only just kiss the limiter going down the first blast after the start-finish line, and maintain at least 56mph on the back straight? Or to get up the CDA inclines and not rev out going the other way?

(yeah, first purchase is a set of sports tyres, nitrous, and a custom gearbox... everything else is just tweaks, but those each can make a massive difference unless you already have an engine powerful enough to spin the wheels in 4th without traction control, or a well-balanced race transmission... for some reason most of the "interesting" vehicles have shocking amounts of either under- or over-drive to the point where you wonder how they were even driveable in everyday life)

FPSes ... ROCKET JUMPS EVERYWHERE

Combat flight sims ... you'd better believe I'm going to try and get as high as possible, then dive and go as fast as possible, then make a break for the "border" at the edge of the map, assuming the makers haven't been smart enough to make that further than you could possibly cruise from any of the starting points. Also just shooting shit up for the sake of it rather than rigidly sticking to the mission plan. I'd be court-martialled so hard and so fast if I was actually in the air force...

Plus class-munchkining in RPGs that have class/job/skill etc systems. Trying to fill up the ball grids in FFX last time I got to play it... have everyone in FF5 try each job at least once... etc.

EinTheCorgi

Jun 6, 2010
Im currently playing dead space 2 on my custom security difficulty.

~use only the security suit (cant upgrade)
~use only the pulse rifle (cant upgrade)
~base difficulty is survivalist
~can't sell semiconductors
~can only find or buy ammo and med packs

I'm already on chapter 7 and yes ive beaten zelot and hardcore.

JSDodd

Jul 29, 2010
Hoarding 0 weight items in RPG's, even if they're valuable like the pre-war money in Fallout 3 and NV.
Consssstantly quicksaving, but what if i have to walk down that short hallway again if i set off the alarm? (esp Deus Ex)
And ofc, playing like an absolute saint in RPG's even if there is literally no reason to do so...

Edit: Collecting and storing named/unique weapons, even if they are awful or i cannot even use them

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
My friends often get annoyed at me cause I like to break games (not physically) for instance I broke down the combat in naruto ninja storm 2 to the point that first person to counter wins and bayonetta I beat almost entirly by shooting so I hardly ever got hurt I would just always stay back and shoot

bullman422

Feb 22, 2011
Fallout 3 & New Vegas

- Always putting items I collect in their proper type of containers. Examples: Meats, vegetables, and soda pops always go in the refrigerator. Any type of clothing in the clousets. Guns, Lasers, and other weapons grouped together in one drawer while all other miscellaneous stuff goes in another one.

- Not even once have I ever attempted to shoot or harm a kid (even if I am told they do doge the attacks).

- I always like grabbing the heads of decapitated foes and placing them in the middle of their crotch. Sort of my calling card to anyone else who should stumble upon them (I guess?).

Just Cause 2 & Saints Row 2

- At Airports I always like getting into a jet plane (and it must be a jet plane) and repeatedly taking off and landing as if I were at a real airport. In other words I like entering the airplane and slowly taxiing to the runway, then sit there as if waiting for the tower to give me the signal, and then taking off. Then as I am landing, I go into that typical landing mode where the plane is circling as if waiting my turn to land, and then I do so. (Note: More enjoyable to do in Just Cause 2 than Saints row 2 since Saints Row 2 has only one friggin airport)

Saints Row 2

- Grabbing people and throwing them out the window or off the ledge. Sometimes I even try and time it so they hit a moving car.

shadowyoasis

Feb 8, 2008
Kiefer13 said:
6. In RTS games, I always like to take time when possible to build up my base in a way that looks nice rather than just randomly placing buildings around. This was best shown in games like Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun, which had buildable walls and gates. I'd usually spend ages making massive bases with different sections and security checkpoints and stuff.
I have waited so long for another RTS that would actually let me build a base, and I don't mean a base in terms of SC2. I mean pave the ground with concrete, set up walls, mount turrets next to automatic security checkpoints. No, I don't see that happening. RTS don't let you build a base, they let you build a series of manufacturing plants and a resource hub.

Playing GDI vs Nod in tib sun, concrete was the most important defense tool at your disposal.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
Fiad said:
Pikey Mikey said:
Fiad said:
In Oblivion I made it a goal to get a copy of every book in the game. Have about 3/4 of them. Also always have a copy of The Lusty Argonian Maid on my character. Why? No clue.
I don't understand why approximately 25% (excaduration) of the population reads that book =)
Apparently it is a best seller in Cyrodiil. All the hype with book clubs.
Of Course, gotta be =)

Zenino

Jun 16, 2009
in pokemon i stand in the middle of the big pokeball on the floor in a pokecenter to save...always..

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
Spygon said:
I dont wear helmets in RPG as i think it looks ridiculous as i just imagine the other characters saying "sorry what i can not understand a word your saying take off that stupid helmet when your talking"

The remove helmet option in cutscenes i felt is such a good idea.
Same with me! I don't like helmets at all simply for cosmetic reasons XD It may have +8 Magic, but I like seeing my character's face :p