Welcome newcomers! Introduce yourself.

GJHenry

Sep 21, 2014
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking for quite some time now. This is one of the sites I know that is not yet touched by the stigma of censorship. What really hooked me into lurking the threads and subsequently registering is the gamergate discussion. Hope this site continues to advocate free speech, and brain-storming.

I only read or gained knowledge about the trending topic of #GG until 10 hours ago. The censorship worked and it became a backlash for them. My stance before was neutral in the sense that I ignore this kind of topic. Now, I'm going to voice out my disagreement with the anti-#GG actions.

Regards,
GJHenry

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Welcome newcomers! Try to be nice and polite here. Use your brain to discuss not your anger!

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Zhukov said:
Holy shit on a stick.

I didn't even know the forums had been around that long.
They haven't, but Warcry's forums were around before The Escapist, and they have the same userbase.

Barbas said:
There's somebody kicking around here who joined in 2004...so they say. >.>
Earliest account is from 2002. He's the first account registered because he wrote the code.

Hope you all enjoy your stay here. Try the veal user groups. The veal's not as nice as the user groups.

Spanglish Guy

Sep 8, 2014
Hello. The name's James. I have been around the escapist for several years but only recently decided to make an account because I wanted to start posting on here after spending a lot of time just reading the forums.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Twenty four posts into a welcome thread and no-one has mentioned the basement yet? Because seriously newcomers, don't even think about going into there. I knew a man who did once, all they found of him was a half-chewed forum title :-/

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
My name's Robert FringmannƩ, and I joined the forums because The Escapist is the only place that will allow me to discuss kissing slices of toast full-on with tongues out. No other forum can handle the taboo subject matter, but Archon gave me a place where I can be free.
Greetings, Bob! My name is Alfred von Zuercher and I came here primarily to discuss tabletop strategies involving trebuchet launching small appliances, large appliances and boats and, on the off season, arming ferrets with napalm. It is good to see another purveyor of the eccentric arts; may we be blessed with continued longevity in pursuit of our hobbies and happiness thereof!

Also, Archon is a decent chap. Pretty professional fellow, at any rate.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
For every new user:

1. Blame Kross for every technical problem that happens on the site.
2. Don't go in the Basement.
3. Blame Kross.

GJHenry

Sep 21, 2014
JoJo said:
Twenty four posts into a welcome thread and no-one has mentioned the basement yet? Because seriously newcomers, don't even think about going into there. I knew a man who did once, all they found of him was a half-chewed forum title :-/
Where is the basement? Link? I might regret this question.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Barbas said:
the silence said:
Hi,

I just registered today. I was a lurker here for maybe a year because of Jim Sterling and yahtzee. Thought about signing up for a while now, before gamergate etc. started, to maybe do some roleplaying.
Well, now I did it, in fact because I thought apart from looking more into forum roleplaying (never did it before), maybe I should try to post in the gamergate-threads with a relatively neutral stance, to see what productive can come out of this shitstorm.
I wanted to do this yesterday and then the ddos happened. Unlucky timing.

At least it convinced me now to sign up for real. I don't know if I will post about gamergate yet (probably will). But that's not (only) what my signing up is about.

To get better at writing in english is also a part of the reason. I'm german. And I am a gamer.
Ah, another Yahtzee and Jimquisition fan! Glad to have you with us! Now for a matter of great importance: is that a hamster with glasses or a bread roll with glasses in your avatar?

We'd love to have you in the forum games. There are quite a few good user groups for discussion, such as the United Nations of Pure Fun and the Forum Games Group.
What? The Injustice League isn't on your list of recommendations? I mean sure we eat children and murder for fun, but we're not all bad! Besides, we have great dental, unlike those posers over at the UNPF and Brovengers!

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
TopazFusion said:
Daystar's chair
*sits in chair*

That guy's barely ever around, what's the worst that could happen?

Aerosteam said:
For every new user:

1. Blame Kross for every technical problem that happens on the site.
2. Don't go in the Basement.
3. Blame Kross.
4. Post in the forum games
5. Join a Usergroup (cough IL cough)
6. Press the red button

OT: Also since I forgot to post an original response I guess I should here. Welcome to the escapist. It's a great place if you can find your haven from the storms that can occasionally wear you out. Also and most important of all, even more than my in-joke responses, listen to Miracle of Sound's stuff while you're here. He's fantastic

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
GJHenry said:
JoJo said:
There was once a link, many years ago, but it's been lost in the mists of time, perhaps deleted forever. This thread however is the closest us mortals can get to the basement nowadays, step carefully when you are in there:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.857393-Escapist-Illuminati

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Welcome, welcome. Make yourselves at home. Just don't sit in the chair in the corner, because that's Daystar's.

To everyone else: Regardless of what your feelings are regarding the circumstances behind this, there's no denying that this influx has been a much needed injection of activity into the site.

Somewhat ironically, only a few days before the Quinnspiracy story broke, there was a thread on this forum asking if this forum was slowing down and possibly dying.

Now look at it.
Clearly this was all planned by Archon and the mods to revive the forums!

ok but seriously I've had this account for a while but I had never posted before recent events grabbed my attention

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
JoJo said:
GJHenry said:
JoJo said:
There was once a link, many years ago, but it's been lost in the mists of time, perhaps deleted forever. This thread however is the closest us mortals can get to the basement nowadays, step carefully when you are in there:

My eyes!

[small][sub]My leg![/sub][/small]

OT: Join the IL - we have pizza discos!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Howdy newcomers! I have been around for only a couple of-- WHAT?! 5 YEARS?!

But anyway, I have been around here in these forums since 2009... apparently, and whilst I do have the occasional spurt of "POST ON ALL OF THE FORUMS!", I mostly just lurk around. You'll get used to seeing some of the most prominent members of this site soon enough, like JoJo, Barbas, Zhukov, Daystar Clarion and Vault101 to name a few, but this is a pretty fun place to be.

Enjoy your stay!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Hello, my name is Guffe!

*Everyone answers: Hello Guffe!*

I am here because I've been drinking for 15 days straight and I think it might become a prob...

Wait... not that kind of thread?
Oh sorry... I'll just go back to my corner!

So yeah, welcome everyone, new and old!

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Glad to see I'm not the only newbie in town ( well, at least when it comes to post count). I've enjoyed my stay here ever since I followed the trail of Yahtzee and Mr Jim Sterling from the youtubes. Hopefully the site continues to entertain this old fogey as the times, they go on.

Hail, and well-come, to the young and old alike. Now get off my lawn.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Guffe said:
Hello, my name is Guffe!

*Everyone answers: Hello Guffe!*

I am here because I've been drinking for 15 days straight and I think it might become a prob...

Wait... not that kind of thread?
Oh sorry... I'll just go back to my corner!

So yeah, welcome everyone, new and old!
We love you Guff! The first stage of fighting an addiction is admitting that you have one.
The second is giving us money.

Sep 15, 2014
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking the Escapist since like, 2008. First for Yahtzee and then for Critical Intel. I also lurked the forums, so I recognize a lot of names and avatars even though no one here knows me.

The reason I made an account, like many people here, is because my original internet hangout (which shall not be named lest anybody be triggered) blew up. Then based Archon stood up for us and let us come here to talk, so now I'm here more or less permanently. I look forward to having interesting discussions about history and philosophy and politics and junk with you guys.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
JoJo said:
GJHenry said:
JoJo said:

Was? WAS?!?!?!

I present to you...... THE BASEMENT! *Much applause* *Loud screams of joy* *Those screams are actually pain* STAY AWAY!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Basement

[small]Note: if there is in fact an older, lost link, I apologize for leading you astray.[/small]