Welcome to Twitter

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I don't get how people get invested enough to engage in those things.

#TooLazyForTwitter

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Considering the title here. I'm afriad I must say that you were beaten to it to some degree:

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Wait till she finds out they're all off to kill this hunter guy running around central Yharnam, not all mobs are safe to join you know.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
The internet? Randomly hating on things for "....Reasons"? Noh... noh noh noh. Dat can't be tru... It jus' can't be tru...
Can it?
ONLY on Twitter. Twitter is unique in that you will find people on there who are angry and lash out in a move completely uncharacteristic of the usual civility of the internet.

lacktheknack said:
Verified. I'm pretty sure the site is designed to magnify rage.
The character limit has been scientifically tested to be the one most prone to outrage.

Windknight said:
If you go back a few months ago here in the UK, two people faced court cases over pretty extreme harassment they'd engaged in over twitter, and both of them pretty much said they had no real beef with the person they had harassed, but there was a big mob piled on them, and they were getting retweets and faves for the crap they were flinging at the victim, so they went all out on it.
Really? Jeez, I won't even put on my pants to please an army of faceless users.

[small]okayyouknowwhatthatcameoutwrong[/small]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
The internet? Randomly hating on things for "....Reasons"? Noh... noh noh noh. Dat can't be tru... It jus' can't be tru...
Can it?
ONLY on Twitter. Twitter is unique in that you will find people on there who are angry and lash out in a move completely uncharacteristic of the usual civility of the internet.
I'm a firm believer in the #NotOnTwitter movement. I haven't been on twitter since I started using the internet... in 1993-ish.

Total abstinence and ignorance is a lovely thing.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Social media. Where emotion emulates thought. And succeed.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm a firm believer in the #NotOnTwitter movement. I haven't been on twitter since I started using the internet... in 1993-ish.

But if you're not on twitter, how can you post a hashtag?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Can it?

Oh yeah well I don't have a cell phone so my anachronism level is higher than yours.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:

But if you're not on twitter, how can you post a hashtag?
Exactly. I think the subtext is statement enough. Honestly though, I just never bothered to use it. I don't hate it nor do I like it, I'm more indifferent than anything.

Eric the Orange said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Can it?

Oh yeah well I don't have a cell phone so my anachronism level is higher than yours.
I'm not in a luddite competition, just enjoying not wasting time on being a twit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Exactly. I think the subtext is statement enough. Honestly though, I just never bothered to use it. I don't hate it nor do I like it, I'm more indifferent than anything.
I just don't think I'd use it even if I signed up. I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends, something made harder by a character limit. Even that, I'm amazed how much more people use it than I do.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I just don't think I'd use it even if I signed up. I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends, something made harder by a character limit. Even that, I'm amazed how much more people use it than I do.
Strange, you basically sound like me when it comes to social media. I am really amazed at the mileage people get out of both FB and Twitter.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Eh, at least it's not Tumblr.

Caramel Frappe said:
Twitter might have angry mobs, but Tumblr takes it to a whole new level .... they have angry armies that would jump on you for taking oranges as a fruit and not a race. Sounds like i'm joking, but i'm truly not . .. .. and that's the horrifying truth.
Yup, Tumblr is the cesspool of humanity.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Twitter is more or less the perfect storm of the worst of human communication.

It is anonymous (unless you post as yourself for PR reasons), thus not only giving people an extra layer of security when they want to say something dumb, it also masks their circumstances from others (the guy you see as a horrible transmisogynistic nazi communist gay shitlord kitty-diddler might actually be a ten year old kid with tourette's that just wants to be edgy or a drunk sixty years old grandma shaking her cane at kids these days, and you will probably never know).

The character limit also makes people boil down their ideas to sound-bytes that are oftentimes more about being snappy and impactful than an actual accurate representation of their points, which they later have to defend (since it's part of human nature to not want to appear inconsistent, a verified thing that has been exploited by salespeople for ages), which in turn makes them embrace the footnotes version of their own views, thus inadvertently making people radicalize their own arguments over time.

Finally the following and up-voting system encourages mob-mentality, where a some bad apples (or even just a few with compromised decision-making skills due to stress/alcohol/drugs/etc.) can tug an entire swath of people towards a reactionary crusade against the dumbest of things, and once people get into one of these mobs they cannot really exit without once again appearing inconsistent and causing mental strain.

In the end the horror of twitter boils down to a simple fact that we are not evolved, either biologically or culturally, to deal with the internet suddenly opening our windows to the whole world, and I would say it would take a few more generations before we figure out how to deal with this... by which time there would be some new fad (VR communications? brain-to-brain interfaces? chewing on skunks?) that will replace it and we have to start all over again...

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Verified. I'm pretty sure the site is designed to magnify rage.
Considering that the low character limit allows for easy and (un)intentional misinterpretation of posts while preventing your from explaining anything properly without writing 20 posts, combined with mob mentality... Yup, you're right.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I too would like to add my voice of concern to their angry cries about the subject to which we are all well informed about. Yes.