Well my day has just been ruined...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Vault101 said:
lacktheknack said:
I saw this thread and my first thought was "If the names "Nintendo" and "Mojang" are involved, I will HUNT YOU DOWN."

But you didn't, so you're safe. For now.

Anyways, you're psyching yourself out. PC desktop gaming isn't going to die while all games are being made ON PCS.

WHICH THEY ARE.

Especially considering the writhing mass of cash and snobbery that is the "enthusiast" crowd.
what happned with Nintendo and mojang? :)
Go read the thread in March Madness. Bile is beginning to flow deep.
ohh boy

you know for some reason I thourght mojang was a mobile phone game dev

well To be honest I dont think much of nintendo so Id go with them all the way

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
The only constant in gaming that will never change is the PC. Sure it will never be the primary platform, but it is the firm foundation of gaming. PC is where the Indie developers and modders are born and developed. Without PC gaming, gaming itself would die a slow death.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
Vault101 said:
Hi......

*sigh* so upon opening up my beloved laptop and doing the morning rounds through escapist I just watched Moviebobs look at PC gaming....
Okay, wait, you're depressed over what a some guy called MOVIEBOB said about PC GAMING.

...What credibility does this guy have? He's some shmuck on the net, and even if he had any degrees they would probably be for film because HIS NAME IS MOVIEBOB. Why don't we ask James Cameron about astrology? Why don't we ask Johnny Depp about recent breakthroughs in medical science?
Know what? Just this shlub's name alone should tell you he isn't qualified to talk about jack shit aside from movies. Period. And to be honest I doubt he has much experience or credentials to talk about film too.

I'm a console gamer, and I think people named MOVIE[insert name here] shouldn't be brought in to talk about anything but FRIGGIN MOVIES.
-Don't sweat it, mate. And if you do, you must be a moviebob fan. In which case I'm sorry for pissing on an entertainer (THAT he actually is, even if I think he fails at doing so) you enjoy.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I actually agreed with him. I have said things like "the only thing PC gaming has on everything else is the mouse/keyboard and better capabilities". Those gaps are closing and quickly.

Alexridiculous

Mar 15, 2011
Perhaps the site needs a PC oriented columnist seeing as how there seems to be a large portion of the audience interested in talking about the PC.

Wink wink nudge nudge

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
As long as there are auteur, indie game developers, PC gaming will not die.

As long as there are games with a fanbase that demands user-made mod compatibility, PC gaming will not die.

As long as games like Baldur's gate, Arcanum, Half-Life 2, Startopia, Starcraft, Warcraft and scores of other magnificent series can be played on Personal Computers, PC gaming will not die.

As long as you, the consumer, ask, plead and petition for PC games, PC gaming will not die.

Long live PC gaming! Long live PC gamers!

(Sorry if that sounded crazy and fanatical)

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009

PC gaming won't ever die, consoles recruit the big league developers to publish for them but PC has all of the small time, starting developers with the revolutionary ideas and innovative gameplay. If PC gaming is dying so is film because along those same lines of logic, TV is taking away the exclusivity of a drama producing intense emotions.

It annoys me that he calls his show "The Big Picture" because it isn't, it is his very narrow-minded take on certain subjects on which he refuses to look at the other aspects which directly confront his views.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
I too have a laptop story.

Today at 0530 my boss arrived at work and I placed my laptop bag on the desk and began packing my laptop and accessories while conversing with my boss. At 0545 coworker arrived at work and myself, my boss and coworker continued some short conversation, while I continued my process of departing. Which usually involves me changing out of my uniform in the locker room and packing my bag in the locker for continued use during the work week. During the process I must have been distracted by the conversation and left my bag in front of the desk rather than lock it in the locker room.

between 0930-0945 I received a call from a police officer asking if I had any knowledge of a gray briefcase. I stated that at the time of my departure from work at 0600 I had no knowledge of a briefcase being left on the premises and had no idea whom it may belong to.

10 minutes later I called the front desk to get into contact with my boss and ask her what was going on at work to make sure she was OK and get information about the reason behind the phone call I received. A police officer answered the desk phone and I was told that I could not contact my boss at the desk phone at that time, so I requested her cell phone number from the call list on the desk. After receiving the number I inquired about the occurrences with the police officer and was given a description of a gray bag. At this point I suspected that it was possibly my laptop bag and I tried to communicate that with the officer. Unfortunately we were not communicating very well as I was in a slight panic to prevent my what I suspected would end up in my laptop bag being destroyed. At that point told the officer I would be calling my boss to discuss the description of the bag and voice my concerns.

During the phone call with my boss we were able to verify that the bag was in fact mine, via discussing the details of the bag and having the police officer open my locker and confirm that there was no laptop bag inside.

Names have been removed to protect the stupid.

PC gaming isn't dead by my laptop almost sploded!

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I actually watched his video on pc gaming and I think the big problem with it is that he claims that a laptop is not a PC, which is kind of weird. Maybe its PCs that are changing rather than PC gaming. Bottom line, I don't think MovieBob really understands what he's talking about. Determining the death of PC gaming would take statistical data that MovieBob cannot provide. However, based on popular conjecture, PC gaming is not exactly dying. It does seem diminished when you think about just how much the console scene has exploded since the 90's. By comparison, PC gaming is not as large a part of the gaming scene (as based upon games developed specifically for PC per year as compared to the number of games developed specifically for consoles per year) as it used to be but it is completely misleading to say that it has died as a form of entertainment.

Again, PC gaming is not dying, it has just diminished somewhat. Nobody Panic.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Rayne870 said:

Today at 0530 my boss arrived at work and I placed my laptop bag on the desk and began packing my laptop and accessories while conversing with my boss. At 0545 coworker arrived at work and myself, my boss and coworker continued some short conversation, while I continued my process of departing. Which usually involves me changing out of my uniform in the locker room and packing my bag in the locker for continued use during the work week. During the process I must have been distracted by the conversation and left my bag in front of the desk rather than lock it in the locker room.

between 0930-0945 I received a call from a police officer asking if I had any knowledge of a gray briefcase. I stated that at the time of my departure from work at 0600 I had no knowledge of a briefcase being left on the premises and had no idea whom it may belong to.

10 minutes later I called the front desk to get into contact with my boss and ask her what was going on at work to make sure she was OK and get information about the reason behind the phone call I received. A police officer answered the desk phone and I was told that I could not contact my boss at the desk phone at that time, so I requested her cell phone number from the call list on the desk. After receiving the number I inquired about the occurrences with the police officer and was given a description of a gray bag. At this point I suspected that it was possibly my laptop bag and I tried to communicate that with the officer. Unfortunately we were not communicating very well as I was in a slight panic to prevent my what I suspected would end up in my laptop bag being destroyed. At that point told the officer I would be calling my boss to discuss the description of the bag and voice my concerns.

During the phone call with my boss we were able to verify that the bag was in fact mine, via discussing the details of the bag and having the police officer open my locker and confirm that there was no laptop bag inside.

What happened? Did they think it was a bomb? :/

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Wolfy2449 said:
Vault101 said:
Hi......

*sigh* so upon opening up my beloved laptop and doing the morning rounds through escapist I just watched Moviebobs look at PC gaming....

is it true? have I just been kidding myself here? I remeber when I had a wii, I was in denial about how cool it was, and now I know that the wii is a piece of duster gathering junk compared to a ps2

I mean as I said in the comments sure the big clunky box desktop is going out of style, but what about Laptops? arnt they getting more powerful? hell I use a laptop

I dont know...I dont agree with everything the guy says but but mabye By trying to rationalize all this I am in denial

ah well other than that I juat read a reveiw for homefront....shame It dosnt seem bad but I had such high hopes for that game

oh and all the see is Dragon age 2 Dragon age 2 Dragon age 2 a game which I really want but cant afford right now...oh and havnt even finished DA 1 because its so hard...and then the expansion

I think somtimes I worry more about gaming itself than playing actual games

Im going to go do somthign productive now...
He was mostly focused on pc as a console instead of pc games. Pc as a console might get changed to a more mobile type like a laptop(which i still dont want unless its made of titanium and doesnt break if it falls xD).

But really an xbox with a mouse and a keyboard and controller isnt really a PC anymore, its a game console with top controls nothing more.
PC is so much more, its not only games, its not only ms office its everything. With a pc u can do ridiculous thinks that a console can never even imagine. Pcs simply have huge power but only 10% knows it somekind well or better.
The rest just using for stuff like facebook or use word for their class assignment.
(or we can say its an evil goverment conspiracy to put all potential hackers out by putting them on limited consoles that can do a thing xD)

And about good pc gaming? It simply wont die, cause its a market and there will always be demand, reduce possibly. Its quite stupid for anyone to say that pc gaming will stop

question: Whats the name of the animal in ur avatar?or book name, i have seen that style before
Glad you asked :)

its a little small so you cant quite tell but its a dog, a border collie to be precise

anway his name is Dog (the running joke is you never know his real name) and he is from a comic strip called "Footrot flats" which was popular in the 80's, its a new zealand comic strip and therefore was really popular there and also relitivley well known in Australia,

the basic story takes place on a farm in New zealand (called footrot flats) through the persepective of dog, it also involves the adventures of his owner Wal and other charachters, such as wals girlfreind who dog belives is evil

anyway its really good,, and nostalgic for me as I often read footrot flats comics as a kid, plus it takes place on a farm which I related too growing up on a farm as well

so yeah its a little more obscure than alot of other nostalgic stuff though quite a few people know about Footrot flats

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
feather240 said:
Rayne870 said:

What happened? Did they think it was a bomb? :/
Yup they thought some crazed madman had gotten in while both of them weren't watching the door (which is the entire purpose of their job, door watching, not being complete knobs). Luckily I was able to talk them through it and get everyone to calm down and realize it was my bag. Which my boss should be able to recognize after having worked with me for so long since our entire job is observation and security. I know every morning she walks in with her purse and her little bag for her stupid net-book and my coworker comes in every day with his laptop in his bag. But koodos to them for pretty much showing the local police that our company blows and they don't pay any attention to detail, and are totally unable to confirm if a person has in fact walked up to their desk, placed a bag and walked away or if such a thing never happened.

Take that into account with this being a virtually empty office building with little to no traffic, man we got a pair of winners.

But yeah they thought it was a bomb, for an empty building of no importance.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
I think the problem was that he used the words "dead" and "dying." He was talking about change, not death. But his poor choice of words kind of ruined everything.

RSGstyle

Dec 16, 2010
I agree with the few other Escapists in this thread that say PC Gaming won't die, but it will stay 'limited'.

PC Gaming is what gives the small development teams a chance to create something to show the big dogs what they are made of. In the past couple years, I've found myself ignoring the big, multi-million dollar budget PC games and running to the smaller, more demographic friendly range of titles with the big one being Minecraft.

PC Gaming is dying, but we are seeing more and more programming schools where individuals learn to create video games. I believe most of these individuals will contribute to pc gaming in some form, so this means that although pc gaming is dying, there are always new creative and talented developers ready to bring it back to life.

OT: There are many people who would rather take a shot at MovieBob rather than give their own opinion on the subject. How disappointing...

Digitaldreamer7

Sep 30, 2008
OK OK OK. I have to state the obvious....

Would you buy a car on advice from someone named fishingbob?

So why the hell would you even flinch at someone named "moviebob" talking about pc gaming?

I like his movie reviews, and for the most part have agreed with him. But PC gaming advice from someone who is not a pc gaming expert?? He's just looking to increase his video hits.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
lacktheknack said:
I saw this thread and my first thought was "If the names "Nintendo" and "Mojang" are involved, I will HUNT YOU DOWN."
NINJANGTENDO.

Also, captcha = "hisinu rules" could this be the downfall of Inglip?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
I think the problem was that he used the words "dead" and "dying." He was talking about change, not death. But his poor choice of words kind of ruined everything.
Yeah I see now that he was talking about quite a few years down the track, by then I think even consoles will be very very different

anyway his choice of words was just to get people's interest and get everyone all worked up (and It worked)

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Movie Bob tried to compare Halo to fascism. He's hardly a credible source. The Escapist only gives him two shows because his ridiculous opinions attract attention.
Except Halo does have Fascist undertones. Hell, we even studied them in SMST319 (Game Media).

Though they weren't about models, but rather the actual story line.