"Well That Didn't Take Long"

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Just Cause 3
I quit after about 20 to 30 minutes. I just couldn't deal with the macho bullshit and unlikable characters. The cover version of 'Firestarter' is the best thing about this game - which is a licensed song.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Evochron Mercenary. I got 5 minutes in, saw just how many buttons I had to hit, and promptly deleted it from my computer.

I imagine it's a fun game for people who are into space sims, but that cockpit was too complicated for my tastes.

Matthew Jeffs

Aug 19, 2014
Where to begin, I'll give the condensed list;
Grand Theft Auto V - Played for 15 mins, felt like I'd played it a million times before.
Tomb Raider (2013) - maybe 30 mins, pretty, but dull.
Assassins Creed BF - an hour, yeah the sea combat was OK, but it didn't grip me.
any FPS released post PS2 era. Timesplitters was the pinnacle - I get bored after about 10 mins of any FPS or cover shooter for that matter (the notable exception being Gotham City Imposters, cos, y'know, batman)

The list could go on - dunno is this is just game fatigue and cynicism from 20 years of gaming, or that games are just so unoriginal now.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I tried playing Portal 2 a second time awhile ago after finishing that piece of shit once, but I just couldn't put up with it for long at all. The jokes are awful, and I find some of the personality's obnoxious as fuck! After around 10 minutes I deleted it.

I'm still amazed how the writing went from subtle and clever, to The Simpsons season 20 style cringe inducing, forced constantly into your face, garbage. I can't even look at it as a sequel since it's the complete opposite.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Dragon Age 2. I played the intro bit that seems like an end and saw that it was hack and slashy. Then I got into character select and ejected the game and returned it for a loss when I realized they didn't have any options for race. I think I had it in my system for less than 10 mimutes. I haven't given EA/Bioware a dime since then.
Happyninja42 said:
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Got to the part in the tutorial (that was all death metal music by the way, not cool Arabian style music), where they introduce the antagonist....ass first...in her metal thong outfit. Her ass filled the entire screen....in slow motion. I turned the game off at that point, realizing that whoever had made that game, didn't understand what was fun and cool about the first one.
That one would be my runner up. I made it off the boat and into the first big room, long enough to realize they had improved the combat and added 8,000% more of it. I don't know if it was the same dev team, but they didn't seem to get the first one. I got the same impression from Dead Rising 2 (which was a new dev) but played that for longer.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
DOTA 2.
I think I played an hour and I gave up. And when I say I gave up, I mean I stop playing because the BOTS was better than me...
I don't know why, I didn't liked the way the controls was layout for me...
Also the characters are not even close interesting and charming like in LOL game.
But I digress, I never played LOL, but when I try it, I hope to be better.

Alien Rage.
At some point I saw the first Boss of the game and he said "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!!"
*cccccccccccccringzzzzzzzzzzzf*ck!
After I died also few times, I gave up...

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Bilious Green said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That game is right up my alley (cyberpunk stuff), and the story looks pretty interesting, but I just hated the gameplay within minutes of starting. I don't think I even made it through the first mission before packing it in. At least I didn't pay much for it.
I have plans to play the game. Can you be more specific what didn't like please?

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Oh boy, I've made a fair few purchases that I've come to regret.

Bought Metro 2033.
Went to install.
"Please install steam to continue."
Fuck that. Put it back on the shelf never to be touched again.

Bought the first Assassins Creed game.
Went to look through the manual while the game was installing, came across the control scheme. "What the fuck is this console-port bullshit?!" Stopped installation, back to the shelf never to be touched again.

Bought Resident Evil 4. Played the first 10-15 minutes fine, then... "Press Circle to dodge incoming boulder!" WTF, this is a fucking pc game!
Tried about 4 times to get through that section by just pressing random keys, then uninstalled it and put it back on the shelf never to be touched again.

Bought Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Managed to get through character creation with passable results. Then came the cutscenes, with the inexplicable fps drops. The shitty console interface. The shitty console controls.
Gave up on single-player after about 15 minutes, then checked out the multiplayer as I had been looking forward to the random dungeons and stuff, especially after Bioware's relative success with ME3 multiplayer.
Two boring-ass and grindy dungeon runs later, I uninstalled the game and put the game back on the shelf never to be touched again.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Zhukov said:
Alpha Protocol.

You start off locked in a room with guards outside. An NPC asks you via radio how you want to get out. I wanted to be smart about it so I picked a dialogue option saying "ambush". My gormless fuckwit of a character promptly says, "Set off the alarm, that'll bring the guards running." Both the NPC and I called him an idiot.

Strike One.

Then I started moving around and discovered that making decent walking or running animations is beyond the skills of those master game craftsmen at Obsidian. I envisaged having to play an entire third person game while watching movement animations in which the protagonist's feet don't match his movement speed or direction.

Strike Two.

Encountered a hacking minigame. Discovered that the controls for it were poorly adapted from console.

Strike Get The Fuck Off My Hard Drive.

Total play time: roughly five minutes.
Holy shit, this too a fucking tee. I stopped at the hack. People tell me it's great, but I can't get throguh it.

Jan 19, 2016
SweetShark said:
Bilious Green said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That game is right up my alley (cyberpunk stuff), and the story looks pretty interesting, but I just hated the gameplay within minutes of starting. I don't think I even made it through the first mission before packing it in. At least I didn't pay much for it.
I have plans to play the game. Can you be more specific what didn't like please?
I found the stealth and shooting mechanics really awkward to use and unresponsive, and the hacking mini game was incomprehensible. Beyond that, I can't remember much. Like I said, I didn't play it for long, and it was a while ago.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
The Banner Saga

To the game's credit, it's an aesthetic marvel and thematic to a tee. However, the mechanics are poorly explained and the choices exist in the realm of moon logic found in old point-and-clicks. I gave up properly when I got to the first army battle. The game said charging would yield the best results, so I charged. This led to a grueling fight where a chunk of my party was incapacitated but we won. The game then asked if I wanted to press the charge and break the enemy as they fled, to which I agreed. This in turn led to an even tougher fight which eliminated my party and negated any bonuses I would have gotten from charging. This was shortly after a choice which killed off a character I had put time into because my logic isn't what the devs thought was right.

In short, fuck this game.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Sanctum 2. Orcs Must Die 2...

Maybe I just don't like Tower Defense games but it seemed my offensive options in the game as my character were so... Limited. Well not that limited but enough to make me lose my interest quickly.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Politrukk said:
Ah you didn't even get to the point where the game blatantly stops working properly then?
that happened to me after about 15-30 minutes in?
I have about 3 hours on that game so far, no troubles encountered.

OT;

Blood Bowl; <2 hours. Normally I am a huge fan of (most) of the GW branded games. I just couldn't get past the mechanics of that game. Plus I'm pretty sure the computer cheats.

Alan Wake; 51 mins. So I ended up wandering through some dimly lit areas, finding Energizer branded batteries for my torch, that only lasted a few minutes at most. Throw in ineffective jump scares, and I was just bored with it. Maybe there is supposed to be suspense and tension, but I never felt it.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Mister K said:
For me it was Valkyria Chronicles II. I tried to play it, but characters that were offered to me to play as were so boring I couldn't play further than the first mission.
Did you play the first game? The scenes where the characters try to handle racism is just awful.

Person1: "racist remark!"
Person2: "Actually, that's a misconception"
Person3: "Hey, what's happening here?"
Person1: "Nothing, I'm leaving! Racist remark!" *leaves*
Person3: "You know, you shouldn't talk back at her. It only upsets her.
WTF, Japan

Serio

Mar 28, 2016
Sniper: Art of Victory. I got across the first bridge you encounter, faced down a squad of enemies, and quickly realised that a game from 2008 should not look and play like a genetic mutation sprung off from the original Call of Duty.

Took me 15 minutes to realise that.

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
FPLOON said:
Silverbeard said:
Agarest: Generation of War.

To the game's credit it wasn't until the 13 hour mark that I ran away from it like it was a black adder spliced with a king cobra but... well, the game has some very weird ideas on how to make two humans (or demi-humans) mate, even for a JRPG.
In fact I ran so far from that game that I actually asked Steam to remove the thing from my library. I didn't even want a refund, I just wanted that thing to stop staining my hard drive by virtue of its very fucking existence.
Did... did it work?

Yup! No refund, obviously, but at least my conscience is restored.

felbot

May 11, 2011
thought it was going to be about very short games.

cant think of a game I haven't tried for at least half an hour. I think I dropped FEAR 3 before that but years later I completed it on halloween because I couldn't think of anything more horrifying than playing FEAR 3.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Xenonauts 28 min. I loved the new and old xcom games, but I just don't feel like putting the effort into something as complicated as Xenonauts since I also don't really like the visual style of it.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
For me it was Crysis. I had heard nothing but praise and glory for its amazing graphics and wonderful, open world gameplay. Within fifteen minutes I was bored, lost, stuck in a vehicle maint' pit and had a "sniper" shooting at me with deadly accuracy. OPKay, better find this sniper then, because this is getting old fast! So I try nineteen different ways to get out of the pit, the building and into the open, run from cover to cover and finally, FINALLY find the "sniper" firing through two windows of the building he is in, through a wooded area, through the window of the building I was in and into the pit. I make it up to where the "sniper" was, only to find it was a two man crew, facing backwards, firing a friggin' machine gun.

Seriously? They shouldn't have been able to even SEE me, let alone shoot at me through 50 obstacles with pin-point accuracy. Uninstalled and never went back.