well, the the escapist was just attacked.

Samsont

Jun 11, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
To anyone curious. Yes. This is an attack by the Anti-Gamergate side. Kuchera was unable to browbeat Greg Tito into censoring the discussion, now that the corrupt journalists are losing this debate rapidly, the Anti-GG side is desperate to shut down the discussion.

*Sigh* Snip
Don't you think this is a *little bit* of an over-reaction? Even a little? This isn't really that serious of an issue, the DDOS attack will be over and then this whole topic will blow over, and we'll all go back to how things were previously. This isn't a dramatic stand-off in Braveheart, it's a bunch of people on the internet shouting at each other about how the other side is so dumb and they should just stop being so dumb cause if they disagree with them they must be dumb or terrible people, right? Both sides are making massive straw men of their opponents and acting as if the vocal minority is all that represents the opposing group. This entire conflict is pointless and stupid, and acting as if it's some sort of crisis of free-speech is pointless, it's not. Nobody involved in this cares about your free speech or about mine for that matter, so the best way to deal with this is to ignore it and wait for it to blow over, which it will.
This "Anti-GG" side has no power, the pro-GG side has no power, they have each have their own little corners of the internet to talk about how the imagined oppressors of the opposing viewpoint are so awful and disgusting but they can't honestly make anything worse or better for the opposite end of the spectrum. Might as well put a disclaimer down here: I don't give a shit one way or another which side is right, or better, or anything like that, I long since checked out of this, but seeing people flail around, grand-standing and acting as if they're about to storm the gates of mordor irked me. So I felt I had to say something.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
It doesn't matter what 'side' did this. The person or group that did it is an asshole. That's about all we should surmise out of this.

Just keep it cool. You were being silenced, but that doesn't mean the 'sjw brigade' or whatever was clearly behind it. Again, makes the tin foil hat that much more noticeable.

As it is now I'm wearing about a quarter of a tin foil hat. Nice fashion accessory.
So is that like a doo rag then? or is it just sort of safety-pinned to the side a bit there like an upperclass women from victorian london or something?

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
irishda said:
Nikolaz72 said:
shrekfan246 said:
Actually, they gain the perception that it's being perpetrated by the anti-GamerGate side in an attempt to "stifle" discussion, thereby "proving" that they have something to hide or whatever else.

It's a pretty scummy thing for either side to do, but forgive me if I don't immediately believe that the "SJWs" are the ones guilty without any actual evidence.
Their people has doxxed, hacked and threatened people in the past. The Email dump has them pressuring Greg Tito into censoring discussion on GG related issues here, it was them.
Remember everyone, ONE guy telling Greg he feels the thread is basically harassment means the saucer people have DDOSed the site at his behest. We're through the looking glass here people...
That is just stupid. No one things Kuchera did it.
Now the heavy handed attempts to censor the entire discussion at large mixed with the very polarizing nature of the topic and a growing escalation of response against gamergate, including personal doxxing, personal phone call threats, the loss of a job, hacking of a pro-gamergate game jam project and even other sites being shut down or hacked, well, you can at least see this is a predictable possibility at the very least because of the volatile nature of this particular clash in the community. Why you would dismiss it so though, well, you got me stumped.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
runic knight said:
especially since you brought up how assault has levels and I pointed out that not only are there specific terms for various levels, but also that "misogyny" has no quantifiers at the moment, just a blanket statement.
Except you were readily able to differentiate levels yourself, even without set quantifiers. Language is truly a wonderful thing, and you've mastered it so thoroughly you're capable of providing examples even as you say there are none.

Anyway, whether you like the definition still doesn't change my point, that it exists and is used as such, and that to insist that someone clearly meant another, more strict and unlikely definition is absurd and unreasonable.

And since the rest of this is going in circles, I'm just going to point out that that was my only reason for offering up the definition you're now trying to dissect and move on. That it exists is all I need, and I won't endorse or defend it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ya know, I can't help but wonder if this all happened just because they could given that this is the only place that let this whole GG discussion happen.

Seeing all the finger pointing and the outlandish accusations being thrown all willy-nilly, I can't help but wonder if that was the intended reaction. I mean, this is obviously a hot-button issue, my own personal opinions on this aside, and so, why not?

No one has taken credit for it, so it's probably just some script kiddy thinking that this would be hilarious and just did it. And the reaction? A bunch of people getting their panties in a twist about who might have done it. So, mission accomplished...?

I dunno. At this point I find this whole thing beyond reason and beyond the realms of ridiculousness. I'd laugh at it all, but, ya know, I have internal organs to think about here.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
runic knight said:
irishda said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Their people has doxxed, hacked and threatened people in the past. The Email dump has them pressuring Greg Tito into censoring discussion on GG related issues here, it was them.
Remember everyone, ONE guy telling Greg he feels the thread is basically harassment means the saucer people have DDOSed the site at his behest. We're through the looking glass here people...
Except the guy who I quoted, who shortened Kuchera to "they" either because it sounds better that a bunch of people "ganged up" on Tito or because his brain interpreted a guy saying, "It looks like harassment" to "they pressured Tito into censorship."

But hey, you lot keep beating that "They're afraid of us! That's why they want to shut us up!" talk. Don't worry, it's not the exact same thing the Palin supporters said about her when everyone was ripping on her, and it doesn't make you guys look insane at all.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
kyp275 said:
MarsAtlas said:
I go watch a movie with my little niece that I haven't seen in forever, and I come back to somebody who claims that "the SJWs" are worse than the Westboro Baptist Church. Really? Fucking really? My best fucking friend who pointlessly was sent around the world to get murdered didn't have a funeral because of those arses, and you're comparing people who don't buy into a vast of conspiracy theory bullshit that? Forget about the whole blatant and persistent failure to understand what "freedom of speech" actually means which is usually just frustrating, that comparison may be the single grossest thing I've seen said about this whole month-long fiasco.
I will assume that since the Westboro Church was involved, your friend was in the service. I have not heard of them actually manage to cancel a military funeral as the Patriot Guard riders are usually on top of these things, it is most unfortuante.

That being said, maybe now you understand how some of us feel when people from the SJW camp calls us "worse than ISIS". As a veteran who fought and lost fellow Marines to Sunni militants in Iraq, I found those comments to be offensive in the extreme (I'd like to see Faraci repeat that again to my face or other fellow veterans, though he may want to call for an ambulance first).

Yet what did the anti-GG people say back then? "Oh, he didn't meant all of you" "Oh, it's just a joke!" "it's just a hyperbole!"

Yea, how would you feel if I say those same thing to you now? would that make you feel any better?

shrekfan246 said:
Kungfusam said:
Leigh Alexander is a bully who makes jokes about destroying peoples dreams, I'm not sure why you'd defend her
Funny how nobody on the pro-GamerGate side says the same things about that Milo guy from Breitbart, or InternetAristocrat, or Davis Aurini... apparently, being a "bully" is okay when you're supporting the "right" agenda.
Funny how everyone on the anti-Gamergate side continues to refuse to call out Leigh Alexander.... even after getting buried by all the records of her bullying others. Apparently, being a "bully" is ok when they're supporting the "right" agenda.
How dare you. How. dare. you. You know, I haven't been this mad in a while. You really think you can compare someone who has lost someone they care about? How can you even say that with a straight face? It is absolutely disgusting that you think you would do this. Want to know why no one treats your cult with respect? It's because of shit like this.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'm pro GG, that being said for the purposes of disclosure, I'm trying these days not to throw my opinion around on speculation. Though only people who seem to rep the anti-GG seem to be doing attacks like this at all. The Fine Young Capitalists being hacked twice and the, offed a bribe to keep qiuet, along with other doxxings are going to paint the anti GG side as the attackers initially, we'll see though....

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Was this even an attack? Or could it be because tons of people are flocking to the bloated whale carcass of a 6000+ post thread at once on a weekend and it crashed the servers?

Nah, that's too simple. Instead I think we should all agree that the SJWs run the internet and decided to censor this important debate about who Zoe Quinn is currently having sex with.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
runic knight said:
especially since you brought up how assault has levels and I pointed out that not only are there specific terms for various levels, but also that "misogyny" has no quantifiers at the moment, just a blanket statement.
Except you were readily able to differentiate levels yourself, even without set quantifiers. Language is truly a wonderful thing, and you've mastered it so thoroughly you're capable of providing examples even as you say there are none.

Anyway, whether you like the definition still doesn't change my point, that it exists and is used as such, and that to insist that someone clearly meant another, more strict and unlikely definition is absurd and unreasonable.

And since the rest of this is going in circles, I'm just going to point out that that was my only reason for offering up the definition you're now trying to dissect and move on. That it exists is all I need, and I won't endorse or defend it.
No, actually, I couldn't differentiate between

"That guy is a misogynist."

as to me all of that mean "that guy hates women for being women". How can you tell which one means the guy only insulted a single woman, threatened several women or hates all women?

Sort of impossible to take the label serious at all when "misogynist could mean anything from

"That guy insulted a woman he was mad at"
to
"That guy hates all women with a passion."

this is my problem with using such an all encompassing definition of the word. It makes it damn meaningless in a conversation. Well, except for the shame and blame value anyways. Very effective at defaming people disagreed with or deflecting criticisms without having to actually own up to them. As I said, the gaming news media has been doing that a lot lately.

I'm sorry you can't see the point in having definitions people share though. Sort of makes it impossible to have a conversation when you define words differently and then stamp your foot about the absurdity of gutting the definition of a word like you have being the cause of confusion and miscommunication. Sort of suggests you never really cared about discussion in the first place, you know?

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
xaszatm said:
How dare you. How. dare. you. You know, I haven't been this mad in a while. You really think you can compare someone who has lost someone they care about? How can you even say that with a straight face? It is absolutely disgusting that you think you would do this. Want to know why no one treats your cult with respect? It's because of shit like this.
You're letting people throw you off the deep end! Stay calm. I got mad too, but calling it a cult will not help anyone. Yes, what he implied to Mars was horrendous and she'll probably not respond to it, but he has his reasons. He at a time felt something similar to what she felt then. The best thing to do is inform him that hey, people like me were anti GG and we thought comparisons to terrorists went too far and ask him if he thought what Witty said was also unjustified.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
runic knight said:
Solaire of Astora said:
It doesn't matter what 'side' did this. The person or group that did it is an asshole. That's about all we should surmise out of this.

Just keep it cool. You were being silenced, but that doesn't mean the 'sjw brigade' or whatever was clearly behind it. Again, makes the tin foil hat that much more noticeable.

As it is now I'm wearing about a quarter of a tin foil hat. Nice fashion accessory.
So is that like a doo rag then? or is it just sort of safety-pinned to the side a bit there like an upperclass women from victorian london or something?
I do view myself as the classy type for sure.

But yeah, people are just saying extremely inflammatory things now. Don't lash out at people because they happen to disagree with you.

There is no proof of who did this at this time. No one here should be an "enemy." Granted, some seem to be doing their damned best to make the situation worse.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
irishda said:
runic knight said:
irishda said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Except the guy who I quoted, who shortened Kuchera to "they" either because it sounds better that a bunch of people "ganged up" on Tito or because his brain interpreted a guy saying, "It looks like harassment" to "they pressured Tito into censorship."

But hey, you lot keep beating that "They're afraid of us! That's why they want to shut us up!" talk. Don't worry, it's not the exact same thing the Palin supporters said about her when everyone was ripping on her, and it doesn't make you guys look insane at all.
Because "they" could never just mean "anti gamergate people"? Never even said they were afraid though, just that many who see themselves as antigamergate do want us to shut up. Hell, many in this thread have expressed the same idea around these forums too. It is just whoever DDoS'd the server tried to enforce it. Oh, and it was a DDoS. I'll take the guy who runs the show here's word on that over your attempts to dismiss it as just traffic. Not only because I think he would be a bit more in the know about things, but also because the way DDoS works leaves a pretty obvious trail and at this point you'd have to be pretty obtuse or intentionally intellectually dishonest to try to it wasn't. Or perhaps you think those people flooding the thread were refreshing the pages a few thousand times a second in their haste to exclaim about how they can't believe this is still going on?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Azure23 said:
Tell me something, what's actually being done to address corruption in games journalism? Because I go to IGN, to Kotaku, to Gameinformer, and they're still just chugging along fine, no announcements of anyone being fired, no charges of conspiracy, nothing. I'm actually curious, not malicious, I think the whole damn thing is hurting the medium, please convince me otherwise.
You might wanna look up the web traffic on those websites. They've plummeted and have stayed way down for weeks now. Just because no one's been fired doesn't mean no one's in trouble.

The Brietbart E-Mail leak pretty much showed that certain games journalists have colluded to help Literally Who's image rather than talk on the issue of no ethics being practiced by the websites in question. TotalBiscuit just went on a rant about how when those same E-mails came out, the Games Journalist Roundtable he had arranged fell apart when the journalists involved pulled out all at once.

So no, things aren't "chugging along fine".

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
runic knight said:
Solaire of Astora said:

But yeah, people are just saying extremely inflammatory things now. Don't lash out at people because they happen to disagree with you.

There is no proof of who did this at this time. No one here should be an "enemy." Granted, some seem to be doing their damned best to make the situation worse.
I agree. Back around the time TFYC got hacked, there was suspected trolling 3rd "side" involved, though no evidence outside of speculation has arisen. At this point it could well be them. Their action is despicable though, regardless who did it.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
runic knight said:
Solaire of Astora said:
runic knight said:
Solaire of Astora said:

I agree. Back around the time TFYC got hacked, there was suspected trolling 3rd group involved, though no evidence outside of speculation has arisen. At this point it could well be them. Their action is despicable though, regardless who did it.
That could be the case, but it does seem awfully fishy that only GG threads right now are getting ddosed. If there were a third party involved, why only target one side? If it's for the 'lulz', shouldn't they be trying to ddos anti-gg sites as well?

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Who is bringing her up anymore? In fact, the only one bringing her up is you. If we don't move on from august, we can't fight the problems gaming journalism has.
Well, the IRC that got turned up spent a lot of time just talking about how she is a slut. The many sites I go on that aren't this one spend a lot of time just talking about how she is a slut. I see it all the damn time. You don't, that's good for you, but this is far from true about everyone.

The problem with bringing up sockpuppets is that it dismisses opinions crucial to diversity. We don't ask gamer girls to prove themselves for the same reason we shouldn't ask minorities to prove themselves. Being a woman or being not white shouldn't be some huge thing to be validated.
Completely true. Doesn't excuse the actual sockpuppeters.
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Revnak said:
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
Revnak said:
The slut shaming nonsense does.
Now there's a cogent point. Thank you for addressing the core issue straight on instead of going in circles like that other guy. Look in the Gamergate thread and ask yourself, how many of these posts are slut-shaming Zoe? I bet you can't find a single one in that massive thread.

Is it truly about slut-shaming, or is GG about corruption in the games journalism industry? You decide.
I was there. I got a guy suspended for a week, basically just for calling him out on the fact that he was slut shaming. Yes, the general message is now about journalism, but at the start, no.
So would you agree that GG is not about slut-shaming for the same reason the civil rights movement is not about a poor old woman not being able to get a bus seat?
I was only talking about the start. I was responding to a guy who was talking about the start. So yes, I would agree.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Ilovechocolatemilk said:
runic knight said:
Solaire of Astora said:
runic knight said:
Solaire of Astora said:

I agree. Back around the time TFYC got hacked, there was suspected trolling 3rd group involved, though no evidence outside of speculation has arisen. At this point it could well be them. Their action is despicable though, regardless who did it.
That could be the case, but it does seem awfully fishy that only GG threads right now are getting ddosed. If there were a third party involved, why only target one side? If it's for the 'lulz', shouldn't they be trying to ddos anti-gg sites as well?
Well if you were goin to stir the shit, there would be no better target. Honestly, my money is on some anti-gamergate jackass with a hair up his rear and a script-kiddie starter set. Though I do find it very intellectually inconsistent how the people who were saying that gamergate is just this horrible, misogynistic movement that is permanently tainted for the actions of harassers seem to be saying that this action, if from an anti-gamergater, is just the actions of an individual.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
tf2godz said:
people are talking about it in the big thread, but i know a lot of you don't go there. so I'm going to show you the tweet.

https://twitter.com/archon/status/513365103329423360

shit just got real.
Just got real? Or just got pettier? This is like punching someone because they don't agree with you, and you don't know how to form sentences properly.

Actually... it's more like punching everyone in a busy public space because you are having a private argument in the corner and it isn't going well for you.

You know what it's called when you do things to effect many in order to try and force your opinion on them? Technically it's terrorism[footnote]For this I am using The United Kingdom's Terrorism Act 2000 as I am British, and this is what I know. I know it differs in other countries, so keep that in mind if you are going to try and counter my point. The UK recognises cyber terrorism, and that is what happened here.[/footnote]

The unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.