well, the the escapist was just attacked.

MathHamy

Sep 18, 2014
Stats ^1 said:
I can ignore the large thread, but that's the point. this should be kept to the large thread.

How ignorant does one have to be to not understand that point? The reason there's one big thread is so that discussions are kept on that thread, allowing others to ignore it. When the entire website is flooded with the same discussion, it's incredibly annoying.

And insults, really? Are you stooping that low?

Finally, no. This thread is not about DDoS attacks, this is a GG discussion, again, you need to stop lying, it's not a good quality to have.
I'm sorry about the insult, but the topic of this thread clearly states "the escapist was just attacked". Wouldn't you agree that this implies that it's about the DDoS attacks? Or are you suggesting that it is completely taboo to mention GG outside of the megathread at all?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
KingsGambit said:
I think it may have just happened again. A momentary *hiccup*, the site wasn't available for a short time literally in the last few minutes. DDoS?
I had that, too. I also got the message bug, where I had like 5001 messages but it didn't show where they were coming from. I just came back after playing SC2 for a bit so...I guess everything is back to being usual around here?

Or are Kross' hamsters starting to succumb to sensory overload?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Stats ^1 said:
Sorry, I don't feel like addressing some bullshit.

This thread shouldn't even exist. The only reason this thread exists is because someone felt like being "here's bullshit about this whole debate for people who don't want to be part of it"

This issue isn't as big as the average escapist user would have you believe.
It's obvious to me that you're not going to be reasonable about this.
The site went down due to a DDoS attack, that was verified by staff. Even if it was the flippin' Pastafarians behind the attack, how would this not be news?
Users could not access the site for hours, this seems like a big deal.
And I understand, it's no issue for you. Judging by other arguments that you've lost at in this very thread, it seems that you've got this weird mentality of 'I'm not interested, so nobody else should'.

To reiterate: If you truly don't give a shit, why are you here?

Also, nice use of the Silent Majority fallacy there, saying that the average user doesn't care either. Well I'm glad that you have the authority to speak for them, but there's a reason that they're silent on this. Either they just don't know, or just don't care, but unlike you, are just fine to allow other people to talk about it.

I'm getting a little concerned at this point. Do you have a genuine problem with people discussing things that you have no interest in? Reddit and Facebook must give you quite an aneurism.

EDIT: Oh hey, looks like the site's having issues again, oh but it's no big deal, because this isn't news either, and since Stats ^1 doesn't give a shit, neither should we. I mean it's only a website.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
MathHamy said:
Bruce said:
What gets me is even after 4Chan booted them, these guys think that anybody out there thinks they are in the least bit reasonable or even vaguely likeable.

Even 4chan isn't having any more of their shit.
So in other words you think it's unreasonable to demand that gaming websites have a publicly displayed ethics policy?

To be honest, I find that most people are completely reasonable and agreeable if approached the right way.
I think that is perfectly reasonable.

I do not think, however, it is reasonable to expect such ethics to include a ban on commentary regarding a game's gender or racial politics, or a ban on reporting incidents where developers are harassed.

If a game review tackles a game's art style, expressing discomfort at the sexualised depictions of women for example, then it is a perfectly reasonable criticism of the game. That is information relevant to the reader.

However gamergate types don't want that. They want a nice little bunch of appeasers who will never challenge them, and never reward a game for being challenging. They are every slur they use against casuals, except as so applied to social issues.

A game is only allowed to challenge views - provided it is the views they personally oppose. The second a game has feminist themes, or hell is even developed by a woman well it is only a matter of time before the death threats start rolling in.

The gamergate crowd don't object to the fact that most gaming media is propaganda, they object to the fact that it is not their propaganda.

You can tell this is the case because you don't get nearly the same backlash when a gaming media house releases a fluff piece about why you should be exited about the next big AAA title, as when they point out something wrong with that title's messages regarding people who aren't comfortably white, male and middle class.

Games journalism is not supposed to be PR for gaming, it is supposed to be journalism - if that includes news that you personally don't like, if it includes facts you personally do not like, you do not get to call for it to be censored.

And you do not get to play censor by sending rape and death threats.

And no it is not all gamers. Most of us are getting increasingly pissed off at how these most likely 14-year-old pricks have poisoned just about every single hardcore game, especially the ones they aren't supposed to be playing yet. You know the funny thing about sexist, racist, homophobes? If you aren't there target they're still incredibly unpleasant to be around.

Here is how we used to think of ourselves, we used to be the guys who would arrange charities to get underprivileged kids into gaming. When Pax first launched - say what you like about Gabe and Tycho it was their initiative that launched the first serious discussions into sexism in the gaming industry.

Go back a few years before that, and we were Roberta Williams fanbois, we would happily play games with varied protagonists because they were different, they had different stories and ideas. We were about inclusion, we were gamers not because we didn't have lives, but because we chose to live many of them.

Now it is a debate as to whether threatening to murder somebody in such a way as to make it look like an accident, or threatening to bomb the Game Developer's Choice awards counts as free speech.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Bruce said:
Now it is a debate as to whether threatening to murder somebody in such a way as to make it look like an accident, or threatening to bomb the Game Developer's Choice awards counts as free speech.
Who is actually arguing that?

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Thorn14 said:
Bruce said:
Just about every single one of those fuckers who refers to SJWs - every single time news breaks about death or rape threats. You still see it with people talking about how Zoe Quinn is an awful person, or Anita Sarkeesian deserves the hate she gets - it all comes down to that idea.

Death threats, rape threats, threatening to blow up the GDC - that's fine upstanding behaviour. Saying games could stand to have a bit more representivity and we shouldn't try and drive women out of the industry? Burn the witch.

Thorn14

Jun 29, 2013
Bruce said:
Thorn14 said:
Bruce said:
Just about every single one of those fuckers who refers to SJWs - every single time news breaks about death or rape threats. You still see it with people talking about how Zoe Quinn is an awful person, or Anita Sarkeesian deserves the hate she gets - it all comes down to that idea.

Death threats, rape threats, threatening to blow up the GDC - that's fine upstanding behaviour. Saying games could stand to have a bit more representivity and we shouldn't try and drive women out of the industry? Burn the witch.
You haven't shown me any actual people supporting that and saying its "upstanding behavior". You're referring to either assholes on twitter or an imaginary person.

Stop focusing on strawmen, please.

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Bodies which don't necessarily agree on definitions, often employ multiple definitions for the same word, and include things like history and usage notes. Further, they don't codify the language, they reflect it. That's why "literally" has a new definition in dictionaries. Because the dictionaries are deciding to reflect the diction employed by people, not set edicts about it.

I'm sorry, but your idea of language authorities is completely backward.
many word do have different meaning in different context, but are given clear definitions in those context by the speaker or writer, "literally" was given a new detention along with the old.

and just because i don;t subscribe to the postmodernist linguistics style of definition, and reject the notions of relative truths in language doesn't make my beliefs backwards

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
MathHamy said:
Stats ^1 said:
I can ignore the large thread, but that's the point. this should be kept to the large thread.

How ignorant does one have to be to not understand that point? The reason there's one big thread is so that discussions are kept on that thread, allowing others to ignore it. When the entire website is flooded with the same discussion, it's incredibly annoying.

And insults, really? Are you stooping that low?

Finally, no. This thread is not about DDoS attacks, this is a GG discussion, again, you need to stop lying, it's not a good quality to have.
I'm sorry about the insult, but the topic of this thread clearly states "the escapist was just attacked". Wouldn't you agree that this implies that it's about the DDoS attacks? Or are you suggesting that it is completely taboo to mention GG outside of the megathread at all?
Just because the title says something, it doesn't mean that the topic follows that. This thread is a thinly veiled GG thread.

And yeah, it might as well be taboo, because there's little reason to mention GG outside of discussions about Gamersgate.

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
Josh12345 said:
It's obvious to me that you're not going to be reasonable about this.
The site went down due to a DDoS attack, that was verified by staff. Even if it was the flippin' Pastafarians behind the attack, how would this not be news?
Users could not access the site for hours, this seems like a big deal.
And I understand, it's no issue for you. Judging by other arguments that you've lost at in this very thread, it seems that you've got this weird mentality of 'I'm not interested, so nobody else should'.

To reiterate: If you truly don't give a shit, why are you here?

Also, nice use of the Silent Majority fallacy there, saying that the average user doesn't care either. Well I'm glad that you have the authority to speak for them, but there's a reason that they're silent on this. Either they just don't know, or just don't care, but unlike you, are just fine to allow other people to talk about it.

I'm getting a little concerned at this point. Do you have a genuine problem with people discussing things that you have no interest in? Reddit and Facebook must give you quite an aneurism.

EDIT: Oh hey, looks like the site's having issues again, oh but it's no big deal, because this isn't news either, and since Stats ^1 doesn't give a shit, neither should we. I mean it's only a website.
I am reasonable, and people should feel free to discuss it... In the large thread dedicated to the discussion.

If I were unreasonable, I'd be throwing thinly veiled insults the person stating that point.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
PainInTheAssInternet said:
I see 3 primary options.

1) Someone decided to attack the "Zoe Quinn and Surrounding Controversies" thread that reached about 800 pages (by the way, to hell with the person who started a new thread. I lost a bet on it reaching 1,000) even though the thread had died down. So it would be idiotic and achieve the opposite of their intent.

2) Someone who wanted more attention drawn to it shut down conversation in a false flag, successfully getting more hate on the Anti-GG crowd (comparing it to the impeachment of a president over espionage? Really?) and more support for the movement.

3) Someone's just a dick and wanted to piss everyone off. What better way to really ignite the shit firing squad than the one site where everyone from every angle is currently congregated and angry?
Well you took a bad bet. It seems the Escapist has a page cap on threads, and when you start getting near the cap it causes problems for the site and the client which means the thread doesn't even show up. Its too big to load.

You learn something new every day. So they had to start a new thread to side step the page cap.
Shit. Didn't know about the cap.

So... since the other thread is just a continuation... can I claim I've won?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Stats ^1 said:
I am reasonable, and people should feel free to discuss it... In the large thread dedicated to the discussion.

If I were unreasonable, I'd be throwing thinly veiled insults the person stating that point.
Yeah, you weren't throwing thinly veiled insults, you were just handwaving any points I made by calling them bullshit.

Should we just agree to disagree on this? It's obvious neither of us are going to be swayed by whatever the other person says.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
KingsGambit said:
I think it may have just happened again. A momentary *hiccup*, the site wasn't available for a short time literally in the last few minutes. DDoS?
I had that, too. I also got the message bug, where I had like 5001 messages but it didn't show where they were coming from. I just came back after playing SC2 for a bit so...I guess everything is back to being usual around here?

The site does that kind of stuff all the time. The "5001" messages bug is a common error that's been around as long as I've been on these forums.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Jan 5, 2011
Fappy said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
KingsGambit said:

The site does that kind of stuff all the time. The "5001" messages bug is a common error that's been around as long as I've been on these forums.
See, I've had that before as a standalone problem. However, as it coincided with the DDoS here, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an "after effect" of some sort. That said, I wonder if The Escapist staff can track who did this and from where. Considering all of the happenings as of late, that would seem to be pertinent information to have about now.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Jan 5, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
I see 3 primary options.

1) Someone decided to attack the "Zoe Quinn and Surrounding Controversies" thread that reached about 800 pages (by the way, to hell with the person who started a new thread. I lost a bet on it reaching 1,000) even though the thread had died down. So it would be idiotic and achieve the opposite of their intent.

2) Someone who wanted more attention drawn to it shut down conversation in a false flag, successfully getting more hate on the Anti-GG crowd (comparing it to the impeachment of a president over espionage? Really?) and more support for the movement.

3) Someone's just a dick and wanted to piss everyone off. What better way to really ignite the shit firing squad than the one site where everyone from every angle is currently congregated and angry?
Well you took a bad bet. It seems the Escapist has a page cap on threads, and when you start getting near the cap it causes problems for the site and the client which means the thread doesn't even show up. Its too big to load.

You learn something new every day. So they had to start a new thread to side step the page cap.
Shit. Didn't know about the cap.

So... since the other thread is just a continuation... can I claim I've won?
If the combined threads meet or exceed the objectives for the bet, I would say, in all fairness, that you can claim the sort.

Now, to focus on the larger issue and wonder from whom and from where this attack came. That's what I'd like to know.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Adam Lester said:
WhiteNachos said:
Witty Name Here said:
This is what the SJW side is truly like. This is what those who look at all the evidence and are still Anti-GG support.
This is the same logic used to dismiss GG as misogynists.

Calling a SJW a censorship-happy megalomaniac is like pointing at a neo-nazi and saying "I bet that guy supports white supremacy". You might be generalizing or jumping to conclusions, but are you really wrong for doing so?
Isn't Nazism defined by white supremacy (I honestly don't know)? In either case I haven't seen any other Doxxing attack besides this from either side. Nor have I seen many SJWs outside of tumblr calling fir government censorship (and not a whole lot from tumblr)

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Ultratwinkie said:
People at gamergate call it the same thread. All they did was take all the events from the first thread and condensed it into 3 posts then continued the debate.

So its basically the same thread but reset so it could load for people.
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
If the combined threads meet or exceed the objectives for the bet, I would say, in all fairness, that you can claim the sort.

Now, to focus on the larger issue and wonder from whom and from where this attack came. That's what I'd like to know.
Aw hell yeah! I win! Take that, Lindsay!

Do these things actually get confirmed? DDoS attacks constitute hijacking a massive number IPs and sending innumerable requests, so wouldn't that by its nature deny that sort of information? Or would it make it obvious because every IP shares a common request theoretically going back to one IP? Would the government even care if a DDoS happened against a site like the Escapist for a brief period? Then again, maybe since that bloke at Brietbart got a syringe in the mail that can possibly be tied to this movement and the reactions to it, the FBI will pay close attention to us.