We're One Step Closer to a True Invisibility Cloak

danirax

Jan 11, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
danirax said:
great one step close to invisible tanks,snipers and airplanes.... just imagine the horror of the idea that there is an invisible tank 3 foot/meter away from you, aiming at you...
Mirage tanks, anyone?
Apocalypse Tanks are better they can crush Mirage tanks as they pass over them even if they are invisible...

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ResonanceSD said:
What's the bet that he's got a cloak and dagger rather than a standard invis watch?
Y'know, I never noticed the eyeball stalks are actually connect to the bits of brain that go flying. It always happened too fast in the video for me to catch. Nice attention to detail by Valve.

OT: ....Dr. Rainwater? Seriously?

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
danirax said:
ResonanceSD said:
danirax said:
great one step close to invisible tanks,snipers and airplanes.... just imagine the horror of the idea that there is an invisible tank 3 foot/meter away from you, aiming at you...
Mirage tanks, anyone?
Apocalypse Tanks are better they can crush Mirage tanks as they pass over them even if they are invisible...
the funny thing is, this is so true to life, the size and complexity of a stealthed vehicle means compared to 'dumb armour' systems they are extremely vaulnerable if you do manage to detect them or surprise attack them ( think seismic / pressure sensitive landmines, artillery in combination )

also cost. you could bankrupt nations using stealth tanks or just flatten an enemy with a proven platform such as a gunship / long-range artillery or cruise missile

if you really want to blow all that money just stealth your cruise missiles and launch them from submarines
who could oppose that?
hell how would you know who attacked you even?

scary crap when you think about it!

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
One step closer to invisibility, and one step closer to developing cyborg Ninja's. Cmon people, i can't honestly have been the only one who is thinking of possibly using this technology for cyborg ninja's can I?

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
Infernai said:
One step closer to invisibility, and one step closer to developing cyborg Ninja's. Cmon people, i can't honestly have been the only one who is thinking of possibly using this technology for cyborg ninja's can I?
Real ninjas don't need technology to be invisible...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Awesome, gotta love science. Now TF2 spy cos-players can go all the way!
NLS said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
An invisible car would be a nightmare.
Instead of "Now where did I leave my car keys?" you would have "Now where did I leave my car?"
To the inivisble boatmobile!

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
HobbesMkii said:
How, exactly, would cloaking make our lives better? In sci-fi, it's mostly used to spy and kill people. I can't think of a single moment in my life where I've said: "Gee, you know what would be better than me seeing that object? Not being able to see that object."
Because you know, this has no implications for military use what-so-ever.

I doubt they will make any type of invisibility cloak or implication for general public use in awhile.

But to answer your question, it could get you out of that really awkward date without him/her being all the wiser.

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
An invisible car would be a nightmare.
xD proven in Megamind! xDDD

LilithSlave said:
WHAT... WHAT'S WITH THESE GUYS?

... IT'S LIKE ONE OF MY JAPANESE ANIMES...
Japanese animes? do you have any other the closest I know of is Avatar but that's still a cartoon
same with Korean cartoons like Yobi, The five tailed fox which I'd recommend btw

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
LilithSlave said:
WHAT... WHAT'S WITH THESE GUYS?

... IT'S LIKE ONE OF MY JAPANESE ANIMES...
Haha! Metal Gear Reference, and here i was thinking i'd be the only one this thread to actually drop one. Nice to see another one around here though, can never have enough metal gear references in my opinion.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
danirax said:

Mirage tanks, anyone?
Oh, hey look, there's a cow grazing just behind meOHMIGODITSAFUCKINGTANK!

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Isn't the problem of this thing that for the person inside it the light also will be diverted? Bit difficult to see stuff on either side of the cloak.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Oh no! Tiny ninjas could sneak into our homes through microwave popcorn now or something! D:

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Erana said:
Oh no! Tiny ninjas could sneak into our homes through microwave popcorn now or something! D:
don't be fooled, we call them 'minijas' they range in size from 1 cm tall to small enough to infect a virus and poke out the nucli
they are deadly and they are legion, in fact i bet you have 20-70 in your house now, waiting for the most hilariously undetectably sneaky way to kill you.
why 20-70? well the first 20 are the only ones visible to other ninjas, the rest? just an estimate.

also, they punch microwaves around them then run really fast and punch it back into place, thus maintaining their stealth without this fancy technology.

a true ninja can craft a Shuriken so sharp it can cut light with just his own hair and spit.
ask a ninja. he will tell you.