We're One Step Closer to a True Invisibility Cloak

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
We are one step closer to being better than the man who invented America, in that we will find a way to be PERMENANTLY INVISIBLE!

Just as soon as we can incorporate this technology into a watch that makes you invisible, that is.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
snagli said:
Isn't the problem of this thing that for the person inside it the light also will be diverted? Bit difficult to see stuff on either side of the cloak.
It's not a problem right now, because noone has a clue how to make it work with visible light.
But if it someday does becomes possible to make a 100% light curving bubble the inside of the it would be completely black, then again you only need a small peeping hole to see out so it's not that big of an issue.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
MisterM2402 said:
NLS said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
An invisible car would be a nightmare.
Instead of "Now where did I leave my car keys?" you would have "Now where did I leave my car?"
"Dude, where's my car?"
...oh god I gotta say it. WHERE DID WE PARK THE INVISIBLE BOATMOBILE!? Sorry.

OT: Ah, science marches on, I love it.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
The invisible car would suck because others couldn't see it. Imagine an 18-wheeler right next to you shifting into your lane because he didn't know you were there.

OT: I always thought we would somehow figure out how to actively bend and diffract light rays to attain invisibility. Light travels so fast that if we were to grab all incoming light rays, bend them 180 degrees around our body, and re-project them along their paths in a manner similar to the Libra sign (
), then the difference in arrival time would be so negligible the human eye wouldn't detect it.

This is a neat trick, too.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Like a lot of technology I imagine this won't be availible for civilians, as there are really very limited uses for this, and it would be a nightmare if the average joe decided to start screwing around with it.

It's sort of like how personal flying machines are viable, I mean decades ago Popular Mechanics ran an article telling you how you could build your own gyrocopter. The problems with people having that much freedom and mobility should be obvious, and the abillity for people to use this stuff was limited. While it varies with where you are, a Gyrocopter requires the same basic qualifications as a plane, and similar things. I believe some states even have laws about how far a device can propel someone above ground level before it becomes a crime without a liscence... and pilots liscences have strict qualifications and are usually expensive in part to prevent too many people from having them.

Basically if this ever got out there, you'd not only have criminals using it, but jerkwads would do things like turn their cars invisible and various accidents would ensure.

The last thing you need is invisible peeping toms, child predators, and random wierdos who would run around with a slit in their camoflauge so they can flash a floating penis at people and then vanish... or worse yet take a whizz on random passers by... and this is just crap I can think of off the top of my head.

Neat technology, I'm glad it's invented, but I can't get all that excited about something that I'm never likely to see (pun intended).

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Invisible technology? Gives new meaning to "Wow, I totally didn't see THAT coming!"

As for the Invisi-boat, check the strange 10 foot long dimple in the water. The boat is there and still displaces the water, even if you can't see the boat itself.

ciasteczkowyp

May 3, 2011
AWESOME, this news is over 2 years old, there were already 3 tv shows about this. The science papers on it are from 1980's