Were the Ultramarines the right choice for the main chapter of space marines in W40K space marine?

lion el jhonson

Jul 2, 2011
I played the demo the gameplay was solid and I found myself wanting to see how the story and characters played out but I just that inkling in the back of my head that one of these characters is going to say or do something stupid. In my opinion I thought the Blood Angels would have been a better choice but what do you think?

Dirzzit

Apr 16, 2009
They wanted to stray away from the blood themed chapters (Blood raven, Blood angel)

Plus the whole red landscape thing.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
I'd have to go with the answer that non Warhammer 40k fans, that is to say people who know what it is but dont actualy collect armies and so on, probably couldnt name half the chapters apart from the Ultramarines which is probably the most commonly known, as an example long before i got into it properly i knew the Ultramarines by name, this is probably one of the main development choices, as they want the game to appeal to the largest audiance possibly not just the die-hard fans, so they pick the most easily associatable chapter and more importantly the one that non fans can easily relate with knowing even a little bit about. I guess my point is that it wasnt a matter of picking a chapter that was right or wrong for the scenario but picking one that pretty much everyone knows.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Ultramarines are not that bad, although if it doesn't somehow involve the ultramarines directly into the plot, then I would love an option to replay the campaign as a different chapter. Just to be able to change all the characters armour colours would be great.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I've said it many .... many .... times before.

It should have been Grey Knights ...... or Space Wolves.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
god no because even if you don't want do blood themes you could have done black templars, dark angles or the imperial fists all of which would have been more compelling then the ultramarines but maybe only 40k lore nerds like me know they even exist.

duhaoran

Aug 9, 2011
The Ultramarine's are probably the best choice because they are a kind of "default" chapter and so allow people new to the franchise to get into it without delving into the mountians of backstory that other chapters have e.g. the blood angels and their blood lust, or focusing too much on one aspect like close combat or heavy weapons.
Personally I would like to see the Dark Angels in it and maybe a hunt for the fallen type scenario.

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
i know nothing of Warhammer 40k so i have no real input on who's the best and coolest, but perhaps they're looking at making more like Warhammer 40k : Black Templar, or Warhammer 40k : Emperors Children

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I'm happy enough with the Ultramarines. They're a good fall-back chapter. I personally think that Dark Angels would have been better since you could add another layer of intrigue and secrecy, to thicken the plot a bit.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Thought the ultramarines were fitting, nothing says space marine as much as the ultramarines.

Space wolves are barbaric space marines.
Blood angels are berserker space marines.
Iron hands are cyborg space marines.
Dark Angels are crusader space marines.
etc.

Ultramarines are purely space marines, not much else. No other influences. Just power armor, bolters and chainswords.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
You all know the Ultramarines are in this because Matt Ward veto'd it. ;D

I'd have been even happier with a Battle Sister game... but that's just me.

Ridgemo

Feb 2, 2010
I like the Ultramarines. Adds a bit of colour. The blood chapters are boring and overused (personally, my mates love them).

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
As long as it's a codex chapter, it really doesn't make that much difference. They're all quite similar in almost every way.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Well, the Ultramarines are the poster boys for GW. Easily accessible, heroic, perfect, and the bestest chapter ever (thanks, Matt Ward).

XaVierDK

Jan 16, 2008
I'll admit that there are more interesting choices in terms of lore and quirks to their characters, but for a first entry into the series, it makes sense to take a less conspicuos chapter... If you took one of the more "extreme" chapters, say for example the Dark Angels (could make an entire game based around the search for one of the Fallen), Black Templars (crusaders, could go anywhere and fight anything), or even the Grey Knights (most devoted, pure and powerful of all the Space Marines chapters, specifically engineered for fighting daemons. Make the entire game about tracking down and banishing a daemon lord of some kind), they would be perfect for a sequel... There are MANY different possibilities and a lot of things which can be done with the franchise for sequels.. And look on the bright side, at least this'll let them improve and diversify the next games :)

Best Regards

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
My thoughts;

1) SPESS MEHREENS!
2) At least it's not the fooking Blood Ravens.
3) Dark Angels would've been better.
4) Goddamn smurfs.

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
lion el jhonson said:
I played the demo the gameplay was solid and I found myself wanting to see how the story and characters played out but I just that inkling in the back of my head that one of these characters is going to say or do something stupid. In my opinion I thought the Blood Angels would have been a better choice but what do you think?
Ultramarines are the most iconic chapter. Definitely not the coolest, but they're just the most popular. That blue really stands out.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Apart from the colour of their armour, how exactly would the gameplay have been any different?