Were the Ultramarines the right choice for the main chapter of space marines in W40K space marine?

wsdpii

Oct 23, 2012
They probably wouldn't have had that dumb guy always sticking to the codex if they weren't Ultras.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Ultramarines are the status quo. The generic chapter that doesn't have any gene-seed flaws unlike pretty much every other marine in the universe. Trying to get new people into 40K and THEN trying to explain that these marines you are playing as have singular flaws specific only to them, would have just been giving themselves more work.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Project_Omega said:
I think the whole Space Marine bullcrap should be dropped, why can't Chaos get some glory for once. I am literally sick of Loyalist Space Marines Starring in every game as the Protagonist, and Chaos as the Antagonist (Except Fire Warrior, where both of them were Antagonists).

Whenever I hear someone say "I collect Ultramarines" I literally feel like I want to puke.
Dawn of War: Winter Assault, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm all had traitor campaigns. Dawn of War: Retribution also did this too.

I agree with the "I collect Ultramarines" thing but I've been reading the Horus Heresy books recently, and the Ultramarines are shown to be a lot more flawed during that time (31st millenium) than they are in the 41st Millenium. It's especially fun to read about 100 thousand of them getting slaughtered in 'Know No Fear'

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Politeia said:
Doclector said:
I'm a little new to warhammer, but would imperial guards be anywhere near a match for tyranids? That could be a pretty cool game, especially if given a horror aspect.
Yes and no, the Imperial Guard does most of the fighting in the Imperium so they're more than a match for anybody. Individual guardsman vs an individual tyranid really depends on what the guardsman has and what that tyranid is. It's stated in the backstory that the tyranid fleet is actually massive and everything we've seen so far are just scouts basically.
Well, from what I've heard some fans say, the power of the Space Marines is way over-exaggerated to their power in the tabletop (obviously, otherwise it would be a balance nightmare), and the same can be held true from the novels I've read, so clearly, there's a divide between the tabletop and the related fiction that allows for the odds to be almost even, maybe it is possible.

The only concern might be the possibility of sueing from the makers of "Starship troopers", although all things considered, that would be even more ridiculous than Epic sueing for the use of Chainsaws.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Yes they were the best choice for the game.

Ultra marines are special forces but with none of the mad quirks of the other chapters, beyond the religious fanaticism that the entire human empire shares.

Guardsmen are somewhat relatable too, but they only work in RTS games, because individually they are nothing. Not an option for a run&gun FPS.

Only the fans of other armies get their panties in a bunch over the choice, while the game targets the general FPS audience. The fans cave in and buy all the WH40k themed games anyway.