Westboro Baptist Church is thwarted!

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
I wonder if the WBC would like to find out what the explosive force of an IED feels like. I have a feeling that if they continue doing this then someone is going to show them.

Good thing I live in Australia.

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
So I remember people who protested against President Bush were placed in Free Speech zones on the other side of a county, why can't they do that with WBC fanatics? That way, the rule wasn't completely useless.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
I don't see how they thwarted them? Everything except for the asskickin' just seems like a patch of bad luck. Poor protesters, I guess they'll just have to wait for anther soldier to die for them and then spit on his casket.

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
Glad they were stopped from coming to Britain, would have gone and counter protest the hell out of them.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
The article said how they parked behind all of the cars with a Kansas liscence plate right? That probably also screwed over a bunch of people who weren't from the church... just a comment.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Fantastic, except for the guy they beat up, I don't think that was really necessary. Not that I feel particularly sorry for him as I doubt he has any permanent injuries.

I have to ask though. I see people all the time shouting "First Amendment!" in defense of WBC (even though most don't sympathize with the fucks). Doesn't protesting a funeral constitute as harassment?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
metal mustache said:
joshuaayt said:
I don't know... I mean, I'm not really sure being a total dickhead deserves a beating- I usually only support vigilantism for stuff like murder and whatnot. Aren't these people legally allowed to protest? Isn't freedom of speech a Big Thing in America? If the people show intolerance for what some guy is saying, how can you expect the government to act differently?

I don't agree that these people should be allowed to protest in such a manner, but I do fear the implications that stopping them would bring to light.
I know right? i can't even imagine what life in my neighbourhood would be like if i weren't allowed walk into old mrs hankins garage and yell at her to drop the fuck dead.
(risky post, i hope you laughed)
I did laugh, but these guys don't do that- unless the cemetary is privately owned, that is. In which case your argument bests mine, and I admit defeat.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
I mean I could turn this into a post about perhaps they should be allowed to voice themselves in whatever way they want because of the freedom of speech america prides itself on irrespective of the fact that the stuff they preach being offensive or upsetting for people

OR

I could say what I actually feel and Say nice one Rankin :)
Nice one

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Sometimes these assholes need to be taken down a peg or two. Allowing them to run rampant and disgrace and dishonor, a ceremony for anyone after they've died is a crime that if the police can't handle. Others will...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Agayek said:
Wicky_42 said:
One question, as I'm not up to scratch with all the US's laws, but don't you guys have the right to peaceful protest? I mean, I understand free speech is a Federal thing, but in the UK I believe we have the right to peaceful protest as a separate thing, and that the police (should) legally support and protect said protests (again, in theory). Is there anything equivalent in the States, because if so then there could well be alternative potential legal infringements other than the much talked about 1st Amendment.
Protest falls under the protection of the first amendment, which is incidentally also passed down to the States through incorporation of the Bill of Rights (basically, the Supreme Court said the Bill of Rights must also (mostly) apply to the States because of the 14th Amendment).

So yes, the WBC does have the right to protest, and the police are obligated to protect the protest. Clearly, that's not how it works in practice though.
Fleischer said:
Wicky_42 said:
Agayek said:
PS - As others have said, the First Amendment (and all of the Constitution/Bill of Rights) only limits what the federal government can do. It does not apply to the state, city or private citizens.
One question, as I'm not up to scratch with all the US's laws, but don't you guys have the right to peaceful protest? I mean, I understand free speech is a Federal thing, but in the UK I believe we have the right to peaceful protest as a separate thing, and that the police (should) legally support and protect said protests (again, in theory). Is there anything equivalent in the States, because if so then there could well be alternative potential legal infringements other than the much talked about 1st Amendment.
Correct. The First Amendment of the US Constitution provides:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
The Fourteenth Amendment provides this protection:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Some of the these Amendments have been found to be applicable to States, as well as the Federal government. The case of Gitlow v. New York (1925) gave the decision that States are also required to protect freedom of speech.

Make a bit more sense?
Yeah, cheers guys :D

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Man, reading all this "well first amendment they have the right to say it yadda yadda" makes me glad to be canadian.

You have the right to say whatever you want.. AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT INFRINGE UPON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS. Basically, their right to live a happy life (I can't remember the exact wording, but that's what it amounts to). Hate Speech like that violates that right, therefore, it's not allowed.

United States constitution needs to be updated so it can exclude hate speech :/

Vanalosswen

Feb 5, 2011
I like that this whole town pulled together to thwart WBC.

That being said, I wish they'd used the counter-protest measures displayed by others standing against the Phelps family in the past. For example, the veterans on motorcycles drowning them out and blocking their view with American flags. Or the friends of Matthew Shepherd who surrounded the Phelps crew with huge white angel wings and sang over the shouting.

There are better ways to shut up these horrible people than to beat them up (and if you knew me, you'd know that's unusual for me to say; I prefer the direct method). Ways that don't let them unleash their swarms of lawyers on those who just want some peace to mourn their dead.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Fleischer said:
*sigh* This is exactly what the WBC wants. I expect to hear about a major law suit being lodged against the town of Rankin. Violating the freedom of speech of anyone - even those with deplorable messages - is unconstitutional.
Exactly. This result is a bad thing, guys.

I'm not saying that some action shouldn't taken against WBC. But this isn't it. Really, I don't think there's a single thing that will work against them; they've abandoned all sense of human decency, and that's got some power to it. But doing this kind of stuff just lets them feel validated, plus there's ample reason to believe these kinds of results are their goal.

Because Christianity is all about vigilantism, not mercy. :(
Also highly worth observing.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
I love it. Even here in Australia we hear about this pack of wankers that call themselves a church. Good going to the community of Rankin. I understand Freedom of Speech is a huge fundamental right in the US, but I love that the locals there took the attitude of "Well, you can say it Mister, but you're sure as F$^K not saying it here in my town!"

Nice to see that the small town folk solved it in a small town fashion. I don't support the initial use of violence (depending on what the guy said of course) but the idea of blocking in their cars and arresting anyone who didn't get the hint is fantastic.

Plus, while I don't want to get into the Afghanistan conflict, the soldier who died was obviously a true patriot, which *should* be respected in any nation. Any man who stands up to fight for his country, no matter his colour, creed or religion is fighting for the existing way of life that the civilians at home enjoy and they deserve our respect. The fact that he did 5 tours just means that he'd earned it and more.

USMC Staff Sgt. Jason Rogers, most of us never met you. Whether you were a true hero or just a man doing his job, a sinner or a saint, those things don't matter.
You gave your life for your country in saving your fellow soldier and that makes you beyond reproach.

Rest in Peace.
Resquiat in Pace

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Uh look - you can't just beat up people because they're annoying or obnoxious. Counter-protest them? Sure. Refuse to sell food or services to them? Absolutely. Beat them up!? I'm sorry but you cross a line when you do that.

The West Boro Baptists ARE vile human scumbags who do this for publicity. They deserve no attention, they deserve no praise, they deserve nothing. But that includes the fact that they deserve no assault either.

To my knowledge, the West Boro nuts haven't ever actually attacked anyone physically. Therefore, it's not right to attack them in turn.

Okay, now having said that I disapprove of violence, I'm not sad at all that this happened. If anyone deserves to be beaten up it's these West Boro Nuts. I won't lose any sleep knowing that they've met some consequences for their vile actions.

l00kmumn0hands

Apr 11, 2011
NerfRider has a good point.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall