What anime got you into anime?

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
I didn't realize it was anime when I was a kid. Hell I didn't even know what anime was so I'm not going to count Pokemon. I'll say Cowboy Bebop. Basically Adult Swim's stuff.

inactive123

Feb 6, 2014
First one I watched was Hellsing which I really enjoyed but the one that got me into anime was probably Soul Eater.
I just really liked the characters and the art style quite a lot.

That being said, I haven't really watched a lot of anime so not sure if I would be classed as an overall anime fan... probably more of a selective fan in the sense that I am a little picky about what I really enjoy.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Going to show my age a bit, but Battle of the Planets, Voltron, and a few I have very obscure memories about got me into it. Couldn't find any of them on video tape except what someone had recorded and passed around at school. They were so distinctly different and mature compared to the cartoons we had then that a lot of us regarded them as animated adult shows for kids, a feeling that only seemed cemented by the drama in Robotech, which aired at the same time as Thundercats and Bionic Six. Here was a show (it wasn't called Anime back then) that dealt not just with actions or teaching some lesson about life like Thundercats or Silverhawks did, but instead was just drama to serve a narrative. Lisa's attempted suicide run on Mars, the Rick, Minmay, Lisa triangle, the Zentradi obsession with human culture and love. My friends and I talked less about how cool those Veritech fighters were than we did about why it must have been so hard for Rick to deal with losing Ben and Roy so soon, and how the war had changed them all so much over the course of their generation.

SGT_Noobnuts

May 30, 2014
Hmmmm

Like most of the other people here I started out watching stuff like Pokémon, DBZ stuff like that. But I was really passive when it came to the anime scene. With me being more content with watching a lot of western animation instead

And then somebody convinced me to watch the original Fullmetal Alchemist and I was really impressed with how the story and the characters were fleshed out and it had the coveted title of having a scene which for the first time in any animated show that I watched that actually brought me to tears (you know the one).

It was pure Otaku-dem for me from that point on.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I think Dragon Ball was the first anime that I ever watched, but at that point I didn't know that it was an anime.

The anime that started all for me was when a friend recommended me to watch Hellsing and Hellsing OVA. I can't recall how many years ago this was, but once I did took his advice and watched it I was hooked and immediately started seeking other similar anime.

Then I started watching Bleach (which still consider it one of the top anime that I have watched), Death Note and the list goes on.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Probably Death Note. The whole thing was on Youtube at the time, not sure if I watched it dubbed or subbed though.

It was just such a nice change from the usual crap on TV. The characters had some drive and a sense of self, rather than just acting like another cog in the machine. It was great.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
I'd say something like Pokemon, One Piece, DBZ, or Yu-Gi-Oh, but I watched these when I was a kid and I had no idea they were from Japan.

What got me into anime, where I knew it was from Japan, would have to be either...Inuyasha or Ranma1/2. Though I may despise it now, I was into the Inuyasha anime back in like, middle school. Ranma1/2 continues to be my all-time favorite anime/manga series ever.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Most likely Cardcaptor Sakura, also the first thing I secretly stayed up to watch as a kid, I think I was like six at the time, possibly younger. I tried dabbling in DBZ but it was just to shamanistic for my tastes as a kid, I was surprisingly refined. I did watch Pokemon but it was much more casual.
It's funny because the next anime I got into in a big way was actually Zatch Bell half a decade later, but I don't think I was really "into" anime properly until I was in high school when I got into Bleach, Death Note, Vampire Night, etc.
I guess any of those could count as what got me "into" it.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Aussies of a certain age will remember Cheez TV! Well, one of their original line up offerings was Teknoman, the dubbed version of Tekkaman Blade. And it was awesome.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
As I kid I saw all the weekday morning anime like DBZ, Pokemon, Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura and loved them all but at the time didn't know they were any different to cartoons. My mother also bought me the full Astro Boy VHS collection which I loved. Then as a teenager I caught Tenchi Muyo, Ghost in the Shell and Inuyasha every Friday evening and Evangelion every Saturday evening. And every weekday afternoon I'd rush home to catch the latest episode of Zoids: Chaotic Century which I still absolutely adore. Even then still only having a vague idea about their origins which in hindsight is pretty strange considering I've been learning Japanese since 6th grade.

The first anime I actively sought out on the basis of it being anime was Love Hina and I fell in love. With Naru. Naru was my first 2D crush since Misty and from then on I fell down the slippery slope into the world of weeabooism. I'm so far gone now that I've almost perfected my ability to spek and read/write Japanese just so I can have immediate access to all anime and games from Japan that I can get my hands on. I'm typing this while I play iDOLM@STER: One For All after having spent $60 on day 1 DLC.

[sub]Somebody stop me![/sub]

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Well i only recently got into anime. That is to say i have watched certain animies in the past (DBZ, City Hunter, Saint Seiya,...) but i wasn't really into animes. It was more like "Happened to be on TV and i liked the particular show". However since i saw Code Geass i started to become quite interested in the whole anime genre and actively look for animes.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Probably Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex or FLCL which all aired on Adult Swim when i was about 16.. i don't count digimon from when I was kid because I assumed it was american cartoon, and honestly never heard of the country of japan back then.. let alone the term anime.. I watched FMA, Ghost in the Shell SAC and FLCL out of curiosity one night on Adult Swim and was hooked from the get go.. in fact, volume 1 of FMA was the first anime DVD i ever owned.. followed by the volume 1 DVD of Bleach

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I've never really been 'into anime' as such, but when I saw Cowboy Bebop on a local music channel (TMF for the Dutch folk who still remember it) when I was 12 I realized what fantastic stuff anime can be.

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
I don't think there's a clear series that got me interested in anime. It's more like I was interested in animation series that were not overly silly.
For example I watched Little Women, Heidi, Captain Tsubasa (was very eager to follow this one).

Other animes came later to the TV channels, but where I live they started to show some more animes like Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Dragon Ball, Ranma 1/2, Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, ... and I watched a lot of them. A bit later I also got in contact with Manga (mainly through a magazine that translated the Shonen Jump stories).
So in the end I never really needed that one series to get me interested in Anime - I just generally was appreciating animation series as kid.
Nowadays I don't watch a lot of Anime, but I can still appreciate the good ones when I stumble upon them (Brotherhood and Hunter X Hunter as the imo best Shonen series, Ergo Proxy for its dark, thoughtful tone and sound, Nodame Cantabile for feeling good + nice music, Paradise Kiss for style and a bit more realistic handling of relationships).

I am currently watching the new Hunter X Hunter series and a Dota pro player recommended "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" which I put on halt after 10-15 episodes, so I might come back to this again later.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
Like several others here, I grew up on 90's North American airings, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon being among my first to watch. I have fond memories of spending time with my siblings and watching each with them; as well as either playing DBZ with my brother (Aka, squatting and yelling while pretending to throw Ki attacks at each other) or dressing up barbie dolls to look like the Sailor Scouts with my sister.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
For me it was one of three that I watched almost at the same time: Iria: Zeiram the Animation,, Armitage III: Polymatrix, or Record of the Lodoss War.

Probably the first one that I followed as the series was translated though was Rurouni Kenshin. That one remains one of my favorite series, and I still am highly annoyed that they never animated the Jinchu arc.

Ascend

Mar 14, 2012
Samurai Champloo showed that anime wasn't all fanservice moe moe kyun bullshit or battle shounens and could deliver a good story (as in the sub stories) and great action while keeping in a really stylized samurai world with hip hop and beat boxing,also,nujabes.

Jacques Joseph

Nov 15, 2012
Well, when I was a kid I saw a couple of Saint Seiya and DBZ episodes that quite caught my interest. But since I was growing up in a country where it was impossible to get to any anime, I couldn´t develop that newfound interest.
So it was probably only years later and what got me into anime was manga - namely Miyazaki´s Nausicaa. The first anime movies I saw then were, if I´m not mistaken, Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell (the movie) and Akira.

Sparky184

Dec 23, 2010
As a kid I watched Digimon, Pokemon, Shaman King, etc and I really loved it, but what got me into anime recently was Madoka Magica. I really love that series, and it led me to watching all the anime I do now.