What annoys you the most in modern gaming?

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
I've never had problems of regenerating health, just with the over-abundance of it in modern video games.

I *get* regenerating health as a game design choice. Games with regenerating health punish you for making a few big mistakes, but allow you to make many small ones without problem

Healthpacks and such without regenerating health punish you for making many small mistakes, but they will fogive you for making a few big ones if your playstyle so far has been excellent.

Not every game benefits from regenerating health but some games can put it into great use, such as Cthulhu Saves The World. Because you heal after every fight, the developers are allowed to make each random battle as hard as they want! Your MP has very limited recovery (bigger recovery when you finish the fight faster) and *that* will most certainly bite you in the *** sooner or later

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I think game devs should make a hybrid system between regen health and health packs, because both system have problems.

Like split the health bar into 4ths and you regen inside each 4th but to get back above that you need a health pack.

It would bring back some more of the tactical need to know were health packs are and how long it takes them to repsawn aspect of older FPS, but at the same time it wouldn't make it too hard for people who don't know exactly when they do, becuase that was the biggest problem of older FPS online like quake, those who knew when they repawned dominated, I remember people made programs to tell them when health packs respawned specifically for that reason.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Modern military shooter mostly. Health regeneration, blood splatters on screen, stupid numbers appearing on the screen every time you kill someone in multiplayer, narrow field of view, two weapon limit, always online DRM (fuck off Diablo 3), day one DLC and QTEs.

The only game where I didn't mind health regeneration is Crysis because on Elite difficulty it didn't matter what kid of health system you have since you could die from just a single bullet.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Well the games that I play I've got no grievances with, well online passes are a ball ache even though I mostly buy new but when I buy a game used and find I need an online pass I die inside a little. I wasn't really a gamer last gen so I couldn't compare it to this one, but I wish there were more games with wacky storylines and good gameplay. Oh and there should be more games like the Uncharted series.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
The consumers, forgetting this is, always has been and always will an industry driven by profit and the growth of profit.

The disillusionment that any company is a friend or anything other than an entity by something more than the intake of money.

If a company appears to be handling your desires, or listening to you it is only because that method of business has been chosen as their modus operandi and deemed as the most efficient way to gain the profit.

The whining when this is forgotten is what annoys me. A slight annoyance, mind. I don't lose sleep or give it any further thought outside of these forums.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
An obsession with multiplayer instead of co-op.

Actually, more like the vocal majority that plays multiplayer, to be more precise. I was fine with Goldeneye 64, not so much with whatever the mainstream rage-room is.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Norrdicus said:
I *get* regenerating health as a game design choice. Games with regenerating health punish you for making a few big mistakes, but allow you to make many small ones without problem

Healthpacks and such without regenerating health punish you for making many small mistakes, but they will fogive you for making a few big ones if your playstyle so far has been excellent.
I strongly prefer the latter to the former. I like the fact that games with health packs have significant fight-to-fight variation based on whether or not you have been able to heal up recently. You're either on top of everything, or in full fight/flight mode. I can't stand the monotony of modern linear cover-based shooters with health regen.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Dumbing down is a serious issue for games, I find.

Every game wants to "Capture the market" of some other game rather than making one for themselves.

Risk is treated with disdain and originality is basically dead.

Every big-name shooter wants to be Call of Duty, rather than their own identity.

DLC is seen as a way to get more money out of the consumer than to add more content to your game. Rather than building on the game, assets are taken out and held back.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
My complaint is that so many games are just so serious and that so few have any sense of humor about themselves or anything. Like we have way too many shooters, but so many are military shooters which place you in very serious military settings, and then we have Gears of War/Halo space type shooters but instead of having any fun with the absurd weapons, everything is played so straight. So much is dark and gritty without any variation from that one tone. Fallout breaks this tradition, but the series has a strong history of black humor, DNF breaks this tradition but it's DNF, and in terms of new series, the only ones I can think of of any genre that I've played in the past few years with any sense of levity are Portal (great in this regard), Mass Effect (but only a little bit), Bayonetta (not a great example to follow), and No More Heroes (over the top but not fun to play in my book). Dark and gritty has its place, but last gen, we had much stronger showings from Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Psychonauts, Katamari Damacy, Okami, Chibi Robo, and many others. Maybe its the decline of Japanese influence, and thus Japanese quirkiness, over Western gamers, but I enjoy whimsy and humor far more than being macho and serious

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Anthraxus said:
"Dice-roll mechanics"
"Turn based anything"

LOL. I think you meant to write button mashing and real time combat. This is a topic about MODERN GAMING, FFS.
And some games still use turn based and dice roll mechanics.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Seriously, man, all them chess and go players should just l2p CoD

Oh, wait... Tribes, then? Maybe?
Chess is not a video game, and trying to say that my views on what should be in video game = my views on how other types games should be reeks of desperation to find anything to make fun of.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
And some games still use turn based BS and dice roll mechanics.
Yet still, hardly a trend of modern gaming. People using those mechanics are catering to a specific niche of gamers. "Dice-roll mechanic" also is quite frankly just another way to say "randomized variables" since there are quite frankly very very few modern games that actually visualize their randomized mechanics as actual dice

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Kahunaburger said:
Seriously, man, all them chess and go players should just l2p CoD

Oh, wait... Tribes, then? Maybe?
Chess is not a video game,
Depends on whether you play it against a person or a computer. Do you think that chess vs. a computer would be better without turn-based mechanics?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Depends on whether you play it against a person or a computer. Do you think that chess vs. a computer would be better without turn-based mechanics?
Ohh god kid. Is purposefully taking shit in ways blatantly not intended and trying to use it to create stupid arguments all you can do? Because it seems to be your attack method in almost every thread you post in.
Beyond that, you can play against a computer using a real chess board, and when making Chess into a video game not having it be turned based would make it not chess. however that is a super rare exception.

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
I have a quick list of a few things in modern games which annoy me:

#1 - Linearity
Modern games seem reluctant to give players options for where to go, to allow them to do some exploring and such. The worst cases are when they become hallways of a sort, but most games avoid being that bad. This does allow for tighter narratives and better pacing, but the inability to go off the rails at all in some games is just depressing.

#2 - A bit too easy and lacking depth
A bit of an offshoot of the previous point. This isn't exactly a complaint about games being "dumbed down", which is normally ridiculous; I'm learning how to design bridges right now, so I don't want to have get a spreadsheet to figure out what works best in my entertainment as well as my studies (and eventually, career). Still, many games are a bit too forward with pointing out where to go; they don't allow the player to figure things out for themselves. Execution-based challenges are still present here and there, but genuine mental challenges are few and far between.

#3 - Brevity
While I have nothing against some games being short (no point dragging things out when you don't have to), the rarity of epic sagas contained within a single game is a bit saddening. It seems what comes closest is when a story is stretched over several games, such as Mass Effect. Still, my favourite games are those which have story contained within itself... and they're getting harder to find.

#4 - The dominance of online multiplayer
In the case you haven't noticed already...I'm moreso into single-player games, namely those which have a long and engrossing story. Multiplayer modes are a fun diversion at times, but even then I prefer to keep it local. The shift towards online multiplayer can only be described as "maddening", especially since I always seem to get caught with jerks and/or idiots. While it's easy enough to avoid these games when they're a niche market, they seem to be everywhere right now.