What annoys you the most in modern gaming?

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Anthraxus said:
This guy doesn't understand the tactical and planning element to turn based rpgs, because according to him all they are is "the computer practically playing all the combat for you."

Mashers gonna mash !

ok I understand the tactical thing behind turn based rpg's and there is no random computer deciding stuff for that... What i complain about is the old KOTOR, Morrowind thing.. random invisible dice rolls to determine whther you hit or miss...yes there is a lot of tactic in upgrades and stuff but..honestly thats something i dont want in games.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i can't really think of anything other then the annoying players that drive you up the walls or the reason i don't like mp games short of mmo where i can just go off and do my own thing

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Anthraxus said:
This guy doesn't understand the tactical and planning element to turn based rpgs, because according to him all they are is "the computer practically playing all the combat for you."

Mashers gonna mash !
Where as you might be right. Being ignorant and insulting people is not a good way to get your message out. If you try being civil and others disagree in a civil or uncivilized manner you could try and respect there opinion on the thing. What I am trying to say is you are not wining any support by being a ass hole. Take that as an insult if you will, but you are simply not helping.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
While I don't like throwing my weight in with 'OMGZ MODERN GAMEZ R STOOPID' crowd, cut content is bullshit. That does annoy the hell out of me. Whoever invented DLC should be thrown into a bottomless pit.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
Honestly it's the other gamers that I find most annoying. I can pick and choose the games I want but there's nothing I can do when it comes to how a lot of people overreact to everything.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Anthraxus said:
I
Kahunaburger said:
SajuukKhar said:
And some games still use turn based BS
Seriously, man, all them chess and go players should just l2p CoD

SajuukKhar said:
and dice roll mechanics.
Oh, wait... Tribes, then? Maybe?
This is the same dude that was trying to tell us how great the ES leveling system was ?

Who needs tactical turn based rpgs and dice rolls when we can have mindless button mashing/shooting and TOTAL IMMERSHUN. FUCK YEA !!!!
Yeppers, because pause and play mechanics for games that are not turn-based totally destroy any form of strategy. You know, if you want people to actually get your point, you might try no acting like a total asshole or insulting them. Just a thought...

Rai^3

Jul 25, 2009
Regenerating health, hands-down. A game shouldn't fucking apologize for doing its goddamn job.

Chanel Tompkins

Nov 8, 2011
The thing that annoys me most is the passcode thing. You know, where unless you buy it new and put in the passcode you get jilted out of content. Yeah, ok, reward the people who buy new, but at LEAST make the content available as DLC for those of us who can't buy new please?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The poll has been eaten...that being said;

The emphasis on online multiplayer overshadowing split-screen. Many games seem to be doing away with split-screen all together. The problem here is that even mediocre games from this gen that feature online-only multiplayer will be rendered almost unplayable once the online support is gone and yet you can still play games like Shaq-Fu with people on the same TV at the same time.

RPGs being ashamed of being RPGs. This seemed to have been Bioware's problem recently with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games. Dragon Age: Origins and its spin-offs/side stories were powerful role-playing games (I think they used a dice-rolling mechanic and fluid turn-based combat like KOTOR) but that was scrapped for Dragon Age 2 which played more like a beat-em-up with different tiers of weapons and items. Mass Effect was always more action oriented but the first had a stronger emphasis on role playing mechanics than the second seemed to (exploration, leveling up/customizing weapons, etc.)

This is a minor one but games have gotten vulgar recently. I'm a vulgar person myself but there's something about hearing/reading 'shit' and, 'fuck' in games that just rubs me the wrong way. I don't mind so much if it's in a new IP but when it happened in Mass Effect 2 and, Dragon Age 2 it made me wonder who taught those familiar characters those naughty words in the first place and, why.

Finally, Where have all of the Ninja's and Robots gone? Maybe it's because there are a lack a beat-em-ups or maybe it's because everyone has such a rock-hard stiffy for Zombies in this day and age but I miss murdering Ninjas and, Robots. There has also been a lack of really good final bosses but I could just be missing those.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Actually, I'm of the opinion that developers working in a genre originally derived from P&P RPGs should thoughtfully draw upon a pool of mechanics that includes all P&P mechanics, not just "this game should have a progression mechanic and should also have swords in it." This does not mean that all RPGs should be turn-based or have stats, but that developers should consider using these elements when said elements are optimal for the game they want to make.
I wouldn't mind dice roll game if
1. I could actually see them, If I could understand why I missed I wouldn't be so angry, but many old games didn't bother to do. Half the time all I had to go on was "WELL THE DUR COMPUTERZ SAID NO HIT SO YOU NOZ HIT"

2. They actually explained how increasing like your sword kill affected your dice roll, because half the time in old games they never told you jack, and raising skills only appeared to have a remotely noticeable affect every 20 skill increases. Skill increases felt utterly meaningless in old games.

3. They didn't design in such a way that it is geared to make you not hit. This is probably what pissed me off the most. Like I don't care that a system is made on dice rolls that can arbitrary make me not hit something I am 2 feet away from and directly facing, but old games were made so that your chances of not hitting were maximized at almost all times.

This is artificial difficulty, I don't mind real difficulty, i.e. making bosses and enemies that have patterns or are balanced, but most old games ran on artificial difficulty, making enemies have overpowered attacks, giant health bars, and making it impossible to hit unless you had like a 90 sword skill and a +10 sword of hitting.

This is what made me hate dice-roll games the most, and its why I hate most new games that use dice rolls because they are still pulling the exact same broken shit over and over.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Rheinmetall said:
See the poll to get some ideas. Personally I can't really decide which is worst, I think all of those together are slowly killing gaming for me.
Well, seeing as this is three pages long, im gonna assume you were already told there is no poll...

Anyways, I would say my main problem with modern games is the fact that Moviebob always harps on about the bland-ness and shit on his Game Overthinker show. I love the classics too, but seriously...

And on an equaly serious note (yes, im being serios about the previous statement), I would also go with...

Matthew94 said:
Dumbing down, and by that I mean.

-The health bar is mostly gone, now we have regenerating health.
-Inventories are nearly always in list format rather than the far superior list format which is far better for navigation and management.
-RPGs are losing detail and stats. Look at Deus Ex:HR and Skyrim compared to Deus Ex and Morrowind.
The bolded is the more specific grips I have. Im not bothered by the regen health trend over health bars...