what are some good pc games to play?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
urprobablyright said:
Probably the funnest RTS would be Age of Mythology

Funnest FPS = half life 2 or s.t.a.l.k.e.r shadow of chernobyl
Half life 2 i kinda get but stalker? Its great fun but not funny.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Kinda funny we end up suggesting a bunch of Valve stuff for the FPS and old games for the RPGs. Is that all there is to PCs anymore? I should hope not!

RPG-wise, PCs have a fair smattering of the console hits as well as a bunch of indy titles.

I wonder if the OP played Mass Effect yet? If not, that sounds right up his alley: an RPG with FPS elements. Of course, that's also on the console.

For a bit of old school RPG fun, I recommend hitting up Spiderweb Software [http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/].

A real good idea to save a bit of pocketbook scratch is to check out the selection at Gametap [http://www.gametap.com]. You'll both have a ton of old school RPGs and the rare new title.

Akula

Nov 11, 2008
Deus Ex - Old but still a great RPG/FPS hybrid.

The Witcher - A great recent RPG.

Painkiller - An entertaining but fairly mindless FPS.

Diablo 2 - Another oldie but a great action RPG. If you want something a little recent thats of the same ilk give Titan Quest a go.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Oblivions older brother. Personally I'm not a big fan of either but you may think otherwise, plus Morrowinds world is alot more unique and creative compared to Oblivions.

F.E.A.R. - The original game was a great expirience. It does have horror elements and a creepy atmosphere but is also a very solid shooter. Just don't waste your time on the expansions.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Unreal Tournament 2004, I find it to be alot better than Unreal Tournament 3. a lot better.

That, and Painkiller.

shadowcypher

Jun 11, 2008
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. A very good RTS
BioShock (if you've not played the 360 version)
Darwinia, well worth a look into. An addictive game with a heavy RTS influence
Anything with MonkeyIsland in the title ^_^
MaxPayne (I prefer 1, over 2, but apparantly both are good)

GregorV

Aug 22, 2006
Grim Fandango, if you can find it. The good thing about the PC is that it has a huge back catalogue, and this game is one of the pinnacles. Also any Monkey Island, save for perhaps the last one.

vede

Dec 4, 2007
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. FPS with slight RPG tendencies occasionally. Sits proudly among my "Best Games in the Universe." You might not like it, though. It's pretty damn scary at some parts. Like, permanent brain-damage scary. At least I thought it was.

Deus Ex. Yet another which sits proudly among the "BGitU." FPS with strong RPG tendencies.

If you like the dungeon crawling aspects of RPGs, play <a href=http://members.cox.net/pmaranci/ROGUE.EXE>ROGUE. Yet another among the "BGitU."

Of course, the Half-Life games. Also among the "BGitU."

There's, of course, Fallout. Amazing game. Arguably the best dedicated PC RPG to ever be developed. Unfortunately, though, it does not hold such high regard as the previous games (to me).

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Mariena said:
Also, fans of Baldur's Gate 1 and Neverwinter Nights 2 will enjoy the recently released expansion pack: Storm of Zehir. NWN2 goes Candlekeep!
I just couldn't get into that expansion. It didn't help that it ran like crap on my PC.. which can easily keep up with Crysis (on high/very high settings) and GTA IV, etc without a hiccup. It just doesn't seem very optimized. But, I also thought the voice acting was poor and the story didn't really draw me in. I'll try again sometime when I'm done with GTA and MGSIV.
I know what you mean regarding perfomance.. The game is a real resource hog and it still has pretty awful pixelated low resolution textures. I found that putting "Shadow detail (near)" to Low increased my fps to a permanent 30+.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Oh and heres another if your into puzzle type games 'World of Goo'
Rather an interesting time waster!

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Silver said:
Ghost master. Seriously, you won't find many games that are more enjoyable than that one.
Damn right!

I've played that game to death at least twice and it is awesome!

On topic:

World Of Warcract or Lord Of The Rings Online

Audiosurf

Far Cry 2

Peggle

SWAT 4

most others have been mentioned already :D

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
I know it was mentioned before, but seriously, check out The Witcher. If you're into RPGs (and you don't mind a bit of violence and language) it's really one of the best PC RPGs to come down the pipe in years. Instead of a hard and fast morality system (i.e. Fallout 3 or any BioWare game) it simply allows you to choose alliances and the way in which events play out. In other words, the game doesn't kind of "choose for you" where you're trying to max out your good/bad alignment.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Yes stalker is the one the best games to come out this decade. Not including clear sky was the dictionary defion for let is see:Clear sky

Pretty much anything with Vavles influence is worth checking out, as for RTS's Company hof heros and dawn of war.

For RPG's you have too try star wars knights of the old republic. It still looks good and has the best story ever
Also max payne.

Thingo

Aug 14, 2008
RPG/FPS: Mass effect, it's a combination of RPG and FPS with a great story and great gameplay. You really should try that one, i finished it yesterday and it was incredible.

Strategy: Galactic civilization 2+ expansion packs, you could buy the ultimate bundle off impulse for 45 bucks. It's a near perfect turn based strategy game with incredible customization, you can customize everything from your ships and maps to scenarios and pretty much everything else.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
I'd say you try out Crysis, Its pretty cheap now and once you loose your erection from the graphics, you'll realy enjoy it.

But, don't play it on easy, to realy enjoy it you must try Delta. Keeps you on your toes and realy into the game.