What are some of the saddest songs you can think of?

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
The saddest song ever, without a doubt is "Excerpt from a Teenage Opera" by Keith West. It's essentially about an old man who slowly dies.

A lot of the songs on here aren't sad, there just emo/angsty :p

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely

I seriously can't believe we've been through nearly two pages, and this gem hasn't been shown...Escapist I'm disappoint.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
Roughly half of all songs by Steven Wilson qualify for this list. Here are some examples:

I love you right now. Iove Porcupine Tree!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Razada said:

In my eyes the saddest (And most beautiful) piece of music in history.
And yet I smiled when I saw old Erik there.

Here are a couple that make me sad and angry.

The Pogues version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda has already been mentioned so I'll just conclude with a classic sad song rather than the outright depressing Frankie Teardrop by Suicide.

Jesus Bruce is good.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Goodbye Cruel World by Pink Floyd. It's a song version of a suicide note!!

That's the saddest song I can think of that is actually a song...

Sad musicwise just check out anything in the 'drone' genre... like Tim Hecker. His Ravedeath 1972 album is great, or the Dropped Pianos spin off that also came out last year! Good music for listening to if you are feeling sad... (but not depressed, just sad)

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
I think there is a lot of music that I'm really sad exists, like Beebs and Katy Perry. I wonder if that fits the topic?

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
The song that instantly jumped into my head was Bathory's 'One Rode to Asa Bay'.

The lyrics describe a peaceful northern middle ages village called Asa. A company of Catholics arrives and orders the villagers to slave for them to build a "house for god" (Church). The village elder rejects and stands up for his people, tells god to build his own house and tells them tales of their own gods and lords, only to be slain there and then. Most of the song after this describes the villagers, from eldest peasant to women and children, slaving under whip and chain to build a hall that could "fit two dragon ships inside".

Finally, once they had finished and thought they were free once more, the musician (Quorthon - R.I.P) sings a famous (at least famous for the genre) line - "People of Asa land, it has only just begun", signalling further tyranny ahead for them. The rest of the song is instrumental.

Not only is the song an amazing story, and well written, I think it is quite depressing as well seeing how this shit actually did occur back in this times en masse. Here's the song at any rate: