What are some underappreciated Gems?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Boiling Point: Road to Hell - is kind of cool, imagine a mix between Far Cry and STALKER with a touch of sims (you have to manage your money if you want to afford gasoline for your bought car for example).

Cortex Command, someone already posted a video and a description so... yeah.

Battlefield 2: Project Reality/Forgotten Hope 2 - two VERY cool mods that desearve a stand alone release, Project Reality nails the realistic yet fun while Forgotten Hope 2 is one of the best multiplayer games set on WW2 that I have played.

Project Reality

Forgotten Hope 2

Gravity Bone - Its free, just play it.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Urban Choas: Riot Response.

An ultra-violent police shooter where you take down gang members.
Featuring Hostage Situations which all end in the most incredible violent moments.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
Damn it. What was the name of that 8 bit survival horror game that came out a while ago? Because I remember playing it and it being awesome.
lone survivor. It is a 8-bit horror game that came up on humble bundle 5.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
josemlopes said:
Forgotten Hope 2
I have to ask, how is the community today? I enjoyed the hell out of Forgotten Hope, back when it was a mod for BF1942 and while I did find people to play with, I wish there were a lot more. I've been seriously considering picking up BF2, just to play FH again, but I wanted to hear how the community is first. No reason to buy a game, if there's no one to play with.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Oh, easy:
Blood.
What's not to like about a game featuring an undead clinically insane gunslinger taking revenge on the cult that killed him using weapons ranging from pitchforks to dynamite to napalm cannons to vodoo dolls?
Also... dat voice actor...

Also, someone else mentioned Spec Ops: The Line. I second this.
Heck, when I first heard about it, I actually said "Oh boy, another lame war shooter."
And then later, after the reviews hit, I played it.
Oh, how wrong I was... how wrong I was...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Sp3ratus said:
josemlopes said:
Forgotten Hope 2
I have to ask, how is the community today? I enjoyed the hell out of Forgotten Hope, back when it was a mod for BF1942 and while I did find people to play with, I wish there were a lot more. I've been seriously considering picking up BF2, just to play FH again, but I wanted to hear how the community is first. No reason to buy a game, if there's no one to play with.
I havent played for quite some time but every time that there is an update on the mod (there was one recently) there is a boost on the number of players. Still it seems like it isnt hard to find a full server even out of that update period.

Check here for more information on its current state:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/forgotten-hope-2

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Tourmalines are pretty underappreciated. They aren't as rare as the more well-known gems, but they come in a variety of colors. Same with spinels, which are occasionally used as substitutes for corundum gems.

Psudo

Nov 18, 2011
I find sapphires to be rather unappreciated gems. So pretty!

Oh, wait, you mean video games. How about GemCraft? That's a fun little flash tower defense game with a storyline.
http://armorgames.com/play/1716/gemcraft

If you've never played it before, get the old DOS game Day of the Tentacle. Everyone should play that once in their lives. Hilarious, silly, fun, hamsters, time travel... it has it all. Because it was done in a cartoon style, the graphics hold up decently well, too.
http://www.old-games.com/download/1276/day-of-the-tentacle

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
saleem said:
Bad Jim said:
Hostile Waters. Released in 2001. Praised to heaven by the critics, but no-one bought it. But it's brilliant. It's an action/strategy game. You have several teammates to order around and you can pilot a unit yourself.

I absolutely loved that game, very similar to battlezone as well. I believe you can pick it up off gog.
Sadly it's not on gog anymore. But you can get it on Amazon. In fact there is an ad for it on this page as I type this.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Everybody on the USA now knows every single NES and SNES games, but when we come to PC, I see nobody talks about them... It makes me sad

The Dark Eye
Gods
Bloodnet
Dark Seed
Syndicate
Startopia
Urban Chaos (I am not talking about that Riot Response crap)
Nox
Sanitarium
Discworld

try these games.

and also as a "not so good game but interesting atmosphere" I'll tell Meat Puppet

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Ando85 said:
Jason Rayes said:
The two cons I've seen reviews talk about are completely stupid if you ask me. The first one is the main character is ugly looking. Seriously?

The 2nd was complaints about the OPTIONAL side quests being tedious fetch tasks.
The main character being ugly is a flaw, I mean, if a character design is just bad, like Nier's is, then it's kinda hard to enjoy the game. You also have to remember, side quests are there as a good way to gain experience and help people, and generally just give you more things to do, so if they suck then that is a flaw. You may not think so, but imagine a game reviewer who has to play this one game straight for a couple of hours, usually going into crunch time to finish it so he can review it by the deadline. Anyone who does that is going to be very upset if the side missions that are supposed to be fun little distractions is just busywork. Now I will admit that those two criticisms isn't enough to give a game a low score, but I've seen quite a few other, more major reasons.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
NeutralDrow said:
Tourmalines are pretty underappreciated. They aren't as rare as the more well-known gems, but they come in a variety of colors. Same with spinels, which are occasionally used as substitutes for corundum gems.
To be honest, I'm amazed it took anyone this long to make that joke.

perkl

Mar 15, 2011
My favorite topic. Stop me if you have heard this before...

Chaos Strikes Back and its tutorial, Dungeon Master. While I don't think they are exactly underappreciated, they're still among the best games of the type.

Close Combat 2 is still unsurpassed in how the little men are ordered around. The commands you give are less absolute orders and more suggestions. You have to play it to understand what I mean.

Sid Meier's Gettysburg is still one of the most successful simplifications of grand strategy. Like Total War but absolutely zero fucking around on a campaign map.

Run 5 system from SSG is still one of my favorites for that scale of wargaming. It's one of the few where you actually feel like you're commanding an army instead of acting as its secretary. Culture shock may be too great for modern gamers. Try Panzer Battles or Rommel if any.

Balance of Power is one of the most interesting non-games I've ever played. Everyone should give it a go, just to see what gaming could be instead of what it is today. Warning: may cause depression and dissatisfaction in modern games.

Spellcross pit the armies of Earth against orcs, undead, elementals and wizards. The campaign is one of the best realized fantasy wargames in existence. While you start with infantry and tanks, as time goes on you'll incorporate psykers and mages into your forces. The opponent isn't stupid either, and as time goes on you may run into surprises as the forces of chaos have looted armories. Scenarios are varied, the game is suitably difficult, tech tree is surprisingly fun and most importantly, the campaign story is very immersive.

Magic: The Gathering (1997) is my favorite implementation of the card game into digital form. Despite all the bugs and oddities it's just great fun.

Master of Magic is the best Civilization game that isn't actually Civilization. Strange how hard it seems to modernize the basic idea.

Fantasy General is the best game in General series, oddly enough. Yet another game that could really do with a remake. Elven Legacy tries but falls just a little short.

The limitation to PC is a killer. Most of the really great forgotten games were on Amiga or C-64. Six-gun Shootout, 50 Mission Crush, Populous 2 (PC version was complete crap), Lords of Chaos, Airborne Ranger (again, PC version was crapola), Zoids, Theatre Europe (who remembers Midnight Sun?), Archon, M.U.L.E. and too many others to list.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Dark Void. The jetpack makes for tons of fun in what is essentially a third person shooter.

As for some of the other ones mentioned (as I have let's played them see here [http://www.youtube.com/user/8bitmaster?feature=mhee])

Two Worlds 2: A game with a ton of potential and a great magic system, but it got very boring for me, maybe it'll be different for you who knows

Serious sam 3: A really fun shooter, and I need to play it more. I am finding it hilarious.

I know there's a lot more, but I can't think of any more while i'm finishing my torchlight 2 and serious sam 3 let's plays.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Constructive Criticism:

1. Don't compare yourself to Unskippable. What you're doing is nothing like what they are doing.

2. Speak up/better volume. I cranked your vids and could barely here them. I then clicked on a random vid and blew my ears out.

3. I'm not a huge LP fan, but I've never seen this much focus on explanation before. This isn't just not like Unskippable, it's more like an 80s nature documentary.

That's not to say that this is bad or you are bad, but I expected something more...Light and comedic from your goal/claim of being like Unskippable. The sound made it hard to follow, and your dry demeanor and rather subtle voice didn't exactly help.

Seems like working on the above would probably make a good deal of difference.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Constructive Criticism:

1. Don't compare yourself to Unskippable. What you're doing is nothing like what they are doing.

2. Speak up/better volume. I cranked your vids and could barely hear them. I then clicked on a random vid and blew my ears out.

3. I'm not a huge LP fan, but I've never seen this much focus on explanation before. This isn't just not like Unskippable, it's more like an 80s nature documentary.

That's not to say that this is bad or you are bad, but I expected something more...Light and comedic from your goal/claim of being like Unskippable. The sound made it hard to follow, and your dry demeanor and rather subtle voice didn't exactly help.

Seems like working on the above would probably make a good deal of difference.
1. Yeah... I think that was just me being tired when I made the post and completely missing the fact that I had already properly explained it.

2. Woah, didn't notice I was so quiet, I'll definitely work on that.

3. I think I need to just skip introductions of the game pretty much, put it all into the description, whenever I start to explain I just can't process whether or not my explanation has been sufficient.

Dry demeanor eh? Just curious do you mean like my voice is one consistent tone, because if it is then I'm already working on that.
Thanks for the constructive criticism, I'll definitely work on that stuff.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Bonecrusherr said:
Urban Chaos (I am not talking about that Riot Response crap)
This game is great and it was just released on Good Old Games:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/urban_chaos

This makes me miss Mucky Foot, sniff!