What are you afraid of?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Pretty much what it said in the title; are there any things you are actually afraid of?
Whether it be being buried alive, failure, or werewolves. Let's share~

Bonus points:
What are you not afraid of that is traditionally considered scary?

I personally I don't like anything sort of realistic gore, emphasis on realistic. 80s movie violence and CGI blood is fine, but viewing any surgery shows usually freak me out. Real corpses are a big no no. So that means actually afraid of zombies and I don't like watching movies/shows or playing video games with them in it.

For a very long time I didn't like dolls. You know the ones, the deformed baby doll ones. I can thank Chucky for that. Though now I'm fine with them. I even like the Chucky movies ironically enough.

I'm not afraid of ghosts, like at all. The fact that I don't believe in them mostly helps this. As such movies like paranormal activity and insidious do noting for me. I'm not afraid of vampires nor werewolves, but is anyone these days?
I'm also not afraid of any kind of critter, like spiders or bats.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I guess the only thing I'm really afraid of is falling to my death or worse falling & just getting severely injured. Not a fear of falling, just the sudden stop at the bottom the gets to me. I'd jump out of a perfectly good plane with a parachute on my back & I love heights, so yeah just the sudden stop at the bottom.

I don't really fear them, but I have a healthy respect for certain caterpillars. I stepped on one once & the neurotoxins it shot into my foot made it feel like I had broken my foot. It swelled up & I could only limp around for a week afterwards. It hurt worse than any other thing I've ever been stung by.

Oh & dying alone... Fuck that too.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Mr Fixit said:
I guess the only thing I'm really afraid of is falling to my death or worse falling & just getting severely injured. Not a fear of falling, just the sudden stop at the bottom the gets to me. I'd jump out of a perfectly good plane with a parachute on my back & I love heights, so yeah just the sudden stop at the bottom.

I don't really fear them, but I have a healthy respect for certain caterpillars. I stepped on one once & the neurotoxins it shot into my foot made it feel like I had broken my foot. It swelled up & I could only limp around for a week afterwards. It hurt worse than any other thing I've ever been stung by.

Doesn't everybody die alone? It's not like you get a person to share the trip with

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Lionsfan said:
Mr Fixit said:
Doesn't everybody die alone? It's not like you get a person to share the trip with
Says who?

No, I meant more along the lines of never having a family of my own.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Animals . Birds , dogs , cats, insects, spiders. The whole shebang. I'm not always " scream out loud , cry In the corner" scared . But they all frighten me to a certain degree.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Schizophrenia...it's a very real possibility and I've got to wait a couple of years in my life to find out whether it will fully manifest. I don't care about physical pain or anything else, I can deal with that as long as it's not constant.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm gonna say... falling from a great height. That and nuclear weapons, but that goes without saying.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Anything that involves basically being held against my will and forced to endure something I don't want.

Can't wait til I have a job - sarcasm, sarcasm.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Prison. I find the idea of having my freedom taken away and being locked up rather terrifying. I mean, what is there to life if you can't enjoy it?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Large sea creatures that loom out the darkness and glide silently past you like an asteroid in the dark vacuum of space.

To be fair, perhaps it is more my potential helplessness in such an environment that causes the fear. Anything approaching would come literally out of the blue in eerie silence and be at least an order of magnitude more mobile than me.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
Hm. What does scare me?

Gore makes me squirm a bit, but it doesn't scare me. Bodies don't bother me at all, but I've watched and held a few loved ones when they died so I'm kinda familiar with the whole death process.

Maybe what I'm scared of is what happened to my grandmother. Living much longer than she should have. Going deaf and blind, but still being aware. She kinda lost her mind at the end there, and I don't think it was just dementia.

And not having control over my own life, or death if I so choose. My great aunt is very poor health wise, but in complete possession of her faculties. She took 90 sleeping pills after leaving detailed notes on everything she wanted done after she was gone... But the care workers found her and took her to the hospital before she died. She can barely move on her own, and she's in such pain. And fully aware.

I'm not sure which is worse.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Failing my A Levels and not getting into university.
Oh, and dogs. I hate dogs, and they hate me. Nearly every dog I meet tries to attack me in some way. Every time I pass a dog in the street I'm thinking up plans for defending myself should it go for me. Why can't dogs be more like cats? At least a cat will never jump at you for no reason. If a cat hurts you, it's your own fault for provoking it.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
Spiders. Not in the "tee hee spiders are gross" sort of way, in the "clinically arachnophobic" sort of way. Honestly, most insects fall into this category. I'm even afraid of the traditional "pretty" bugs, like butterflies, ladybugs, fireflies, etc.

I'm also irrationally terrified of tongue mutilation.

However, I simply adore snakes. I really do. I want a ball python very badly, but I'm positive that my three cats would join forces and kill it.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
A big one for me is being wrongfully convicted of any sort of crime. I'm not entirely sure where this stems from, but I've seen how screwed up the US justice system is, so it's not an entirely irrational fear.

Also spiders and wasps/hornets (the latter to a rather extreme degree), because fuck those things.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
If I narrow it down to things I actually have a good chance of ever facing, ticks effortlessly come out on top. Just because it could so easily happen: brush some grass, don't notice it for a couple of days and BAM enjoy your lyme disease. Not to mention they don't have the decency to bite and move on like a mosquito, but actually stay put. *shudder*

Then there's also heights. Not much more than any sane person though, but it did put a serieus damper on my trip to the Eiffel tower. In case you don't know (I sure didn't) you go up in a nearly fully transparant elevator, and when it's windy the uppermost balcony sways like a freaking carnival ride.

As for things I'm oddly unafraid off, I guess spiders and (wild) mice take the nr. 1 spot. I'd rather not touch them because of bites etc., but more than once I've seen them make woman literally shriek and scramble onto tables. Come on now ladies, they're not facehuggers from the aliens movies...

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Mr Fixit said:
Lionsfan said:
Mr Fixit said:
Says who?

No, I meant more along the lines of never having a family of my own.
this was all i could think of as you said that

anyway OT:

i'm scared of hurting peoples feelings, those i genuinely care about. i'm scared of lorries/buses adjacent to me when i'm driving, i always think they're gonna just drift and knock me off the road...

i'm not scared of
Trivea said:
However, I simply adore snakes. I really do. I want a ball python very badly, but I'm positive that my three cats would join forces and kill it.
damn, ninja'd. i have a 2 year old corn snake (and had a 6 year old before, but it died) and the two cats love it. well, by love, i mean can't stop watching, and by can't stop watching, i mean occasionally attack the cage until i can bat them away. odin does not give a flying fuck about cats, and just stares back, then goes about his business

edit: fuck, i completely forgot about one of my biggest fears, ants!!! i hate the fuckers with a passion, i can tolerate spiders because they leave me the fuck alone, and if they're in my way i'll just move them outside or something, but ants just... they wont't go away! when i was younger i fell asleep round a family friends in their garden, woke up and had one black leg, with hundreds of ants completely covering it. i was mortified. now if i see one, i get itchy for hours

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Any sort of insect, though I'm particularly bothered by arachnids.

I can't stand heights.

I'm deeply bothered by water that I can't see the bottom of, in part for the same reason as Barbas' post up above.

As for stuff traditionally considered frightening that doesn't really bother me... I dunno. Stuff like ghosts and monsters don't bother me whatsoever since I don't really believe in any of that stuff.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
it wouldn't consider this a fear, really, but i am quite averse to going homeless again. i've been through it once, and it's created a psychological scar that'll never heal. you can never see humanity the same again after being subjected to it's true face. i can't deal with that again. i refuse. i'll die first. i even keep the tool of my salvation in my desk drawer in case the situation ever becomes unavoidable. the only reason it's even on my mind is because this literally life or death evaluation is scheduled in less than a month. so i'm a little anxious.

my usual submission to this query is failure. i'm afraid of failing in my purpose. i've exhausted all my resources in pursuit of succeeding in my purpose, but even going as far as i've concluded it's physically possible to go, without making any headway in securing any positive confirmation, it's all in vain. the only power i have left is to wait and see how it all pans out. and that sucks, since there's still so much life left to live. that's a long time to have to wait. whose patience is infinite? of how much patience am i capable?