Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
There's some very good mod for the emulator floating around that fixes a lot of the jank, but at I would guess most people play those old game more as a form of archeology than for the sake of playing them so that probably defeat the point.

Egociraptor has a nice video on both the first castlevenia (can't believe its been 10 years!)
Yeah, a lot of old games feel like they're more part of gaming history then particularly fun experiences in their own right and Castlevania(the first Metal Gear also comes to mind) is definitely one of them. And yeah, one of the issues I've heard about Simons quest is just how obtuse it is. Like "Oh, you need to do this. How do you know to do that? IDK because the game doesn't tell you".

And to make it better you're operating under an invisible time limit which determines which ending you get, but apparently there's not a lot of difference between them and this is the last game with Simon in the timeline so okay I guess.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I finished Mass Effect 2 (again), and I think this might be my least favourite in the trilogy.

Too many characters who don't amount to anything other than a loyalty side-quest. Seriously, why are Jack, Samara, Grunt, and drell guy even in this game? What exactly do they add to the plot? Speaking of which, the plot adds nothing either. The entire plot is about stopping a bunch of aliens from mulching human colonists. You then succeed in stopping them, the end. Which wouldn't be so bad if this was a stand alone game, but as the second game in a trilogy it adds nothing to the overarching plot. The whole game feels like a detour, and then at the end it's like 'Oh yeah, the Reapers. I guess we'll return to them in the final installment.'

Also, regenerating health. Ugh!

I'm on ME3 now, and I'm already annoyed again by he fact that the Reapers being in full-on intergalactic invasion mode don't bother to instantly take control of the Citadel -- you know, that thing that they intensionally created to lure space faring species so that they could take out their governing power in one fell swoop. Instead they just walk around the surface of planets like a bunch of shmucks and go *smash smash roar*.

I mean, as far as the main plot with the Reapers goes, you almost have to treat all 3 of them as individual entries or soft reboots. Some side characters/quesrs have continuity, but the whole Reaper arc basically resets each game, only a handful of people believe and/or want to fight the Reapers and Shepherd has to regather up everyone and convince them to ally again (ultimately to be almost irrelevant anyways)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Too many characters who don't amount to anything other than a loyalty side-quest. Seriously, why are Jack, Samara, Grunt, and drell guy even in this game?
They are your new pure biotic, pure warrior, and other various class NPCs to add to your team, since they removed the cast members from the previous game that filled those roles. I don't remember what the drell and Samara did? Was Samara another Adept? Or was she a Vanguard? I don't remember. But, yeah they are just new inserts for "I love having a Krogan, but Wrex is either dead or off doing plot stuff elsewhere." Jack is an early game Adept for your team, and a replacement for Kaiden regarding the story line about how humanity did really fucking horrible things to kids with the potential to be biotics. Samara is the Hot Asari Mommy, that should be pretty clear why her buxom booty is in the team. I need new Asari spank material! But Liara is off doing something else plot wise!

What exactly do they add to the plot?
About the same as Kaiden or Ashley provided, meaning zero. I mean NONE of the team members, aside from Tali I guess, have anything directly to do with the main plot. They have their own personal arcs, but Tali at least has ties to the Geth, which are part of the larger plot, until you resolve it. But none of them are actually instrumental to the plot of the trilogy. It's all Shepherd in the end. And we know this, because who you bring into any engagement, has almost zero bearing on the outcome. At least outcomes that have any actual bearing on the plot. Sure you might have something like if you bring Wrex, he kills Fist, but, Fist means nothing to the main plot. He just has a cameo near the end if you didn't let him die. Same for pretty much all of them. They were all designed to be Plug And Play for the narrative, so that you didn't hinder any player from playing with whatever combo they preferred.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
About the same as Kaiden or Ashley provided, meaning zero. I mean NONE of the team members, aside from Tali I guess, have anything directly to do with the main plot. They have their own personal arcs, but Tali at least has ties to the Geth, which are part of the larger plot, until you resolve it. But none of them are actually instrumental to the plot of the trilogy. It's all Shepherd in the end. And we know this, because who you bring into any engagement, has almost zero bearing on the outcome. At least outcomes that have any actual bearing on the plot. Sure you might have something like if you bring Wrex, he kills Fist, but, Fist means nothing to the main plot. He just has a cameo near the end if you didn't let him die. Same for pretty much all of them. They were all designed to be Plug And Play for the narrative, so that you didn't hinder any player from playing with whatever combo they preferred.
Wrex is connected to Saren plan to removed the genophage of the Krogan. Garrus is connected to Saren himself. Liara is the progenitor expert and also connected to her mom.

Sure they're not instrumental but they're much more connected to the plot than ME2 squad are. Mordin is connected to the vaccine to stop the collector, but the collector are ultimately irrelevant to the plot, so w/e. Mirranda (and I guess Jacob, lol) is connected to Cerberus, but here again Cerberus is pretty irrelevant to the reaper threat. Legion should have been a bit more connected to the Geth plot, but he comes really late in the game, if you play optimally you'll get him barely 1 hours before you start the last mission.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Wrex is connected to Saren plan to removed the genophage of the Krogan. Garrus is connected to Saren himself. Liara is the progenitor expert and also connected to her mom.
Grunt is also connected to the plan to remove the genophage, by being a pure specimen of Krogan. Garrus is just a dude with a rifle. Liara is just an exposition dump about what is ultimately false information regarding the progenitors. Her connection to her mother has no actual impact on the outcome. But they have no bearing on any outcomes is my point. If they are not there, it doesn't change anything. So they are ultimately, irrelevant.

All they contribute is how many people die at the end, and whether Shepherd leaves some of the species in a better situation than they started with. Morden dying/not dying, doesn't change whether or not Shepherd wins or dies, it just changes whether the Krogan get cured or not. Wrex also doesn't actually matter, other than their individual arc.

Which is the same amount of significance that Jax and the others originally mentioned in the post I quoted. NONE of them are ultimately necessary for the overall story. So there is no real difference, as far as a lessening of value to the plot, in Jax and the others criticized.

If any of them die, there is an Expy sitting in the wings to fill the slot for your team and or/story cutscenes, to some degree or other.

Now, to clarify, I have no problem with them being superfluous, my only point is that they are ALL superfluous, Jax, Samara and Grunt are not unique in having zero impact on the plot. So no reason to single them out.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Playing Turok Remastered for the first time. I always wanted to play it as a kid but couldn't due to a lack of N64 and being too stupid to play any PC game that wasn't made by Humongous Entertainment.

It's a simple but fun game so far, and I always forget how satisfying it is to find a secret area in an FPS. Kinda annoying how to can't change ammo types though.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kaiden was already part of your crew, and you meet Ashley on Eden Prime as you investigate the beacon and the geth presence. That's really enough. Ashley isn't introduced for example as 'oh there's this Alliance soldier on a planet somewhere, so I guess pick her up if you need some more manpower'. You meet the characters as the plot progresses. Now think of every time in ME2 when Shepard says 'I'm taking on the Collectors, I could use your help' to characters who are totally unrelated to the matter.

ME1 was about the plot, and you met characters as you progressed. ME2 is about picking up a lot of characters and making them loyal so you can do a mission at the end.

ME2 could've just done with Miranda, Garrus, Tali, Mordin, and Legion (who should've been introduced much earlier in the game). That is if we'd still go for the whole 'you're working for Ceberus now', which itself was kinda stupid.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Necromunda: Hired Gun
The studio's pevious effort in Deathwing was not particularly highly regarded and although I tried it I couldn't finish the tutorial due to a bug. Uninstall, refund.

So I was a bit dubious about it but a few youtube reviews basically came out as "janky, but a lot of fun" so I gave it a go and I have to say I am enjoying it a lot. Doom 2016 on a budget with a 40K skin.

The core gameplay is really enjoyable, the campaign levels are really big, look cool and well designed with a lot of veticality for double jumping, wall running/jumping and grappling, although the game could encourage you to use those features a lot more. 1 level right at the start has to use the wall running on maybe 3 occasions and then it's not necessary to use until the 7th level, so if it's not a gameplay style you're used to, like me, you kind of forget it's a thing until then.

Enemy variety could be a bit better, it's basically "peons you can run up to and execute to get health" without needing to stun first, unlike doom. Guys with a force shield you need to remove first either by shooting a load or using a cooldown ability, then execute to get health. Or big fuckers that run up to you that you need to shoot a lot.

The way the Ogryns die makes them look like they have suddenly taken on the weight and momentum of a balloon and sometimes the executions have graphical glitches like you flip the enemy inside a pillar or wall before shooting them or it pushes you over a ledge (graphically, you don't actually fall off), or your character flies off in some random direction without the enemy so you are zooming through the air while very enthusiastically stabbing nothing in the head. I have a feeling this might be due to being hit by a big dude/explosive attack and being immune to damage but not physics effects during executions.

Story is mostly an afterthought and there's a very basic mission/level up/shop hub with a couple of barely animated characters, but there isn't much to it.

The infinite side missions are probably the weakest part, set in a chunk of a level they amount to go to 5 places on the map and press interact/shoot the thing twice. Or capture x number of points, defend this area against x number of waves of enemies, kill X enemy sub bosses (the aforementioned force shielded dudes).
Especially with the first one depending on the level they can either last 2 minutes and be super easy on open levels or half an hour and be really hard on other as you spend all your time trying to work out how the fuck you get to the last couple of places while fighting loads of respawning enemies. Or sometimes you'll get half of them without an enemy spawning. It gets better once you know the levels though.

I have had 3 crashes, all on the level up/upgrade screens, so no progress lost. Performance wise I have a 3.2G i5 from 2015, a 6G 1060 and 16G Ram and it's a consistent 60-80 FPS at 1080p and 90 degree fov. There's usually a big drop for about a second when a level first starts, but otherwise ok.

But anyway, the jank has not put me off. I am having a great time with it and don't regret buying it at all. I don't really see it having huge longevity once the campaign is over but it's the sort of thing that you could jump back into for an hour for some fast paced, gory blasting/stabbing people in the face with a metal spike.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Close to finishing up Far Cry New Dawn. It's definitely a much smaller game compared to FC 5, as far as map, and missions. They have a lot of repeatable assault locations you can do for resources, like....a lot. They fully embraced the radiant missions on smaller maps idea with this game. So much so, that I suspect it's going to be in FC 6, in some form. Given the most recent FC 6 trailer talks about liberating locations, and building them up. I hope it's improved on this system in New Dawn, as it's not that great. Or, well the homebase upgrades are fine, giving your incremental improvements to various functions and abilities. But, the outposts are pretty useless. You can't upgrade them, so they only have a minimal defense, they are really nothing more than fast travel locations. But, if you have Expeditions upgraded to lvl 2, you can FT to any location, making them only useful in the early game, as far as FT is concerned.

The perks are very limited to, you will quickly unlock all of them if you are being a diligent explorer, but some of them have infinite ranks, so you can continue to improve. At first, all you can infinitely upgrade are either your ammo capacity for all types, and your fist/kick damage. Which I've seen people state online, that you can eventually upgrade it to the point you are One Punch Man. I'm not that high into it yet, but I am tempted to try it, as it is pretty fun to punch buffalo and the like. Later on, you will unlock a new set of perks, that give you more versatility with your combat, but they can't be infinitely upgraded. Still, they are pretty strong, so they are useful. Once you max out the weapon crafting station, you can infinitely upgrade weapons, but it's a resource hog, so that can take a while. Still, I have focused on upgrading my Elite Sniper Rifle to the point that I can almost one shot any enemy with armor piercing rounds.

The resources are gated a little strangely. You have various crafting resources (duct tape, gears, springs, etc), and then Ethanol. All of the facility upgrades, use Ethanol, but your weapon crafting, uses components. To get Ethanol, you have to go deal with the biker gang run by The Twins. The outposts you can liberate, give you ethanol, but only once, they don't provide an ongoing supply or anything. If you want more ethanol, you have to give up the outpost, and let them reclaim it. You can then attack it again (hello radiant missions), but the difficulty goes up a rank (1-3). If you reclaim it, you get even more ethanol....once....and then you give it up again. And repeat. It's the quickest way to get large amounts of ethanol, but it's kind of tedious. I usually try and do the outposts stealthy, as you get bonus ethanol if you go undetected. But, I find it's easier to just rush in, loud and kill them all fast, and just repeat it again, rather than take my time. I can do 2 outpost runs if I go loud, in the time it takes to do 1 silent run. So yeah, easier to just blow them all to hell.

Overall, it's pretty decent. The religious stuff is back, now that I'm dealing with the Edeners (the remnants of the cult from FC 5), but it's nowhere near as obnoxious. I mean, it still is incredibly annoying religious bullshit, but it's not the central plot element, so it's only popping up now and then, so it's tolerable. I still find it really annoying that nobody actually provides counterpoint to the Edeners rhetoric. They just babble their insane religious nonsense, and if anyone outside the faith is even coded to react to the words, they just say things like "You're crazy!' and nothing else. So you don't see anyone countering with logic, reason, skepticism. It's just "blah blah blah god" "You're nuts" "only the unfaithful would say we are nuts!" "You're crazy!" "Is it crazy to see god's plan?!" and so on. Of course, with a silent protagonist, I just sit there and listen to all of it. Which, irks me.

Still, I'm enjoying it. I'm currently running around doing radiant missions to get Perk points, to upgrade my punching to god tier status, and then going to go punch the twins to death.

Oh, the music from Twin Gang, is some of the most obnoxious rap/hiphop I've ever heard, so much so that I think they did it on purpose. To find the most ear bleeding, poorly written, tonally grating stuff out there, and make them listen to it non-stop. There are multiple songs, where the rapper is "rhyming" using the same word.....over...and over. Like, rhyming Me with......me. Four verses in a row. "You know that you can't handle me." then rhymed with "Everyone out there can't handle me." To be followed up with the brilliant. "All of you trying to take from me!" And capped off with something like "Pretty soon you all gonna work for me!" So...yeah, that's a thing. I admit I'm not a fan of rap/hiphop as a genre in the first place, but I can appreciate the individual songs that are really good. These.....these are not.
There was like ONE song out of their track list that I found, not just tolerable, but actually somewhat pleasant to listen to.

The rest of the soundtrack, like the menu/map/options music, sounds straight out of Blood Dragon. And that I am most happy with, as I am a sucker for synthwave.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, the music from Twin Gang, is some of the most obnoxious rap/hiphop I've ever heard, so much so that I think they did it on purpose. To find the most ear bleeding, poorly written, tonally grating stuff out there, and make them listen to it non-stop. There are multiple songs, where the rapper is "rhyming" using the same word.....over...and over. Like, rhyming Me with......me. Four verses in a row. "You know that you can't handle me." then rhymed with "Everyone out there can't handle me." To be followed up with the brilliant. "All of you trying to take from me!" And capped off with something like "Pretty soon you all gonna work for me!" So...yeah, that's a thing. I admit I'm not a fan of rap/hiphop as a genre in the first place, but I can appreciate the individual songs that are really good. These.....these are not.
There was like ONE song out of their track list that I found, not just tolerable, but actually somewhat pleasant to listen to.
If you ever need hip-hop/rap advice on good songs. Talk to me. Mainstream barely tries anymore.

Currently playing Virtua Fighter 5. I did some Arcade runs, and will be doing training mode. I might do some online later this evening.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished Castlevania Bloodlines with John Morris. You need to beat Expert Mode to get an epilogue for each respective character, but fuck that noise. This is exclusive to US/EU versions, and there are no ending restrictions in the JPN version, Vampire Killer. What was with Konami's obsession with locking endings behind the harder difficulties during the 16 bit era? It did not stop their as they did this a couple of times in the PS2 era. I might do the JPN version later and play as Eric.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Played a lot more of It Takes Two with the wifey and, wow. This game is visually fantastic. Seriously, the amount of variety and diversity in the map layouts, and the various abilities they give you to overcome the challenges are just mind boggling. All of them are really distinct and unique. I never feel like I'm rehashing old systems, even when using the same basic mechanics. Seriously the level designers fucking knocked it out of the park with the creativity and craftsmanship, for each map. It's like playing a Toy Story movie. I'm constantly just blown away by the set pieces, and their designs. It's really, just, really fucking good!

I can't really stress it enough. If you like fun, light hearted (but with a few dark bits in there too) child inspired, innocence and joy type of games, you really should pick this up. It does require another person to play, so that is a factor. But, man it's really good. While the game is about a married couple fixing their relationship, this game can easily be played with a kid in my opinion. It's not like Haven where they definitely talk about fuckin', and get to fuckin', though it is fade to black. But, leading up to that, yeah they're talking about the various sexy things they are going to do to you.

It Takes Two, none of that. It's a Disney level of relationship between bickering parents, and a child in the middle. You know the setup. But the levels, just SO delightful. They're challenging without being ridiculous, the level of failure is incredibly generous, so screwing up doesn't cause any problems. And there are lots of just little side things you can do. Little carnival style games, just for fun, just, peppered throughout the whole thing. Take 20 minutes from the objective, to just go play a racing game with your partner, and then go shoot balls into rings, or whatever. The game's cool with it. It wants you to have fun like a kid, and it's built a game specifically around that idea, and does it brilliantly.

Definitely check it out if you like games like Mario, and probably the Kingdom Hearts series (though Ive never played any of them, but it feels like the kind of thing fans of that might like). Bright, cheerful, colorful, beautiful, funny. Just, really stellar game for partners.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Kaiden was already part of your crew, and you meet Ashley on Eden Prime as you investigate the beacon and the geth presence. That's really enough. Ashley isn't introduced for example as 'oh there's this Alliance soldier on a planet somewhere, so I guess pick her up if you need some more manpower'. You meet the characters as the plot progresses. Now think of every time in ME2 when Shepard says 'I'm taking on the Collectors, I could use your help' to characters who are totally unrelated to the matter.

ME1 was about the plot, and you met characters as you progressed. ME2 is about picking up a lot of characters and making them loyal so you can do a mission at the end.

ME2 could've just done with Miranda, Garrus, Tali, Mordin, and Legion (who should've been introduced much earlier in the game). That is if we'd still go for the whole 'you're working for Ceberus now', which itself was kinda stupid.
Have you ever read Shamus Young's Mass Effect retrospective? Seems like something you would enjoy. You can also buy it in book format for some reason if you want to pay for blog posts.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Played a lot more of It Takes Two with the wifey and, wow. This game is visually fantastic. Seriously, the amount of variety and diversity in the map layouts, and the various abilities they give you to overcome the challenges are just mind boggling. All of them are really distinct and unique. I never feel like I'm rehashing old systems, even when using the same basic mechanics. Seriously the level designers fucking knocked it out of the park with the creativity and craftsmanship, for each map. It's like playing a Toy Story movie. I'm constantly just blown away by the set pieces, and their designs. It's really, just, really fucking good!

I can't really stress it enough. If you like fun, light hearted (but with a few dark bits in there too) child inspired, innocence and joy type of games, you really should pick this up. It does require another person to play, so that is a factor. But, man it's really good. While the game is about a married couple fixing their relationship, this game can easily be played with a kid in my opinion. It's not like Haven where they definitely talk about fuckin', and get to fuckin', though it is fade to black. But, leading up to that, yeah they're talking about the various sexy things they are going to do to you.

It Takes Two, none of that. It's a Disney level of relationship between bickering parents, and a child in the middle. You know the setup. But the levels, just SO delightful. They're challenging without being ridiculous, the level of failure is incredibly generous, so screwing up doesn't cause any problems. And there are lots of just little side things you can do. Little carnival style games, just for fun, just, peppered throughout the whole thing. Take 20 minutes from the objective, to just go play a racing game with your partner, and then go shoot balls into rings, or whatever. The game's cool with it. It wants you to have fun like a kid, and it's built a game specifically around that idea, and does it brilliantly.

Definitely check it out if you like games like Mario, and probably the Kingdom Hearts series (though Ive never played any of them, but it feels like the kind of thing fans of that might like). Bright, cheerful, colorful, beautiful, funny. Just, really stellar game for partners.
This is a game I wish I could play, but seeing as I have nobody to actually play it with (I'm assuming it's a hard locked co-op game) I'm kinda bared from entry. I've seen parts of it and the world/narrative look super fun and crazy. I really wasn't even interested in this game until I accidentally bumped into that elephant scene on youtube, and just seeing it was the most shocking thing I think I've ever experienced in a game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Have you ever read Shamus Young's Mass Effect retrospective? Seems like something you would enjoy. You can also buy it in book format for some reason if you want to pay for blog posts.
Glad someone mentioned that. I do enjoy my Mass Effect but he points out a lot of issues with the story of the series I can't help but agree with. He very recently wrote an article how ME2 dropped the ball which eventually lead to ME3's....difficulties. Basically arguing how ME1 had this great setup, but ME2 decided not only to squander it but also sabotage the setup for ME3. There's also the fact the collectors aren't hinted at in ME1, suddenly because the big threat in ME2 and in ME3....I can't remember if they're ever even mentioned to be honest. So ME2 is pretty much a side quest that feels like it doesn't really go anywhere but just kills time until the Reapers invade, and it makes me sad because it could have been used for proper build up/perpetration to ME3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drathnoxis

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Here's something you wouldn't expect to hear in 2021; I just bought a Vita game! :D

So I have been in need of another gorgeous vanillaware game after 13 sentinels and I couldn't stand it any longer so I ended up finally getting around to buying Muramasa Rebirth and all the dlc stuff for the vita. I may end up moving soon and I'll need all the portable goodness I can muster and I did always wanna get back to Muramasa and see the new stuff since I only ever played the wii version back in the day, so I guess now is the time.

Also I'll prolly be playing World of Final Fantasy on my vita again, which was so good it kinda ruined pokemon for me lol.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This is a game I wish I could play, but seeing as I have nobody to actually play it with (I'm assuming it's a hard locked co-op game) I'm kinda bared from entry. I've seen parts of it and the world/narrative look super fun and crazy. I really wasn't even interested in this game until I accidentally bumped into that elephant scene on youtube, and just seeing it was the most shocking thing I think I've ever experienced in a game.
It does allow you to play online, so I assume you can find a friend, or possibly just play with a rando and do it? Might not be as much fun. I fully admit that half the fun is when my wife or I decide to fuck with the other, and then we just slowly turn our head to glare at one another, while the other tries to look innocent (and fails) :)

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Also I'll prolly be playing World of Final Fantasy on my vita again, which was so good it kinda ruined pokemon for me lol.
Just finished playing that, I don't understand why they force you to use Lan/Rey in your party the entire game, I was constantly finding new monster that I wanted to put in my party only to remember that I couldn't because the spot needed to be Lan/Rey. Who ever played pokemon and though the game would be better if 2/6 of your pokemon were boring human?! The game eventually let you bench them but it's like it has to be dragged to that idea begging and screaming so it punish you for doing that by taking away a bunch of mechanic. This is one of those strange situation were a really simple fix would make the game twice as enjoyable for me.

In a similar "easy fix makes the game better" I'm playing dragon dogma which has one massive problem, your character stats gain are dependent on which class they are when they level up. This is a pretty terrible idea since most of the fun class have absolute garbage stats gain forcing you to play other classes the entire game until you reach max level so your character don't end up as garbage. I previously played it on PS3 but now I'm playing it on PC and a simple patch let me change the class stats gain, letting me play as w/e class I want without having to worry about stats. Such an easy fix yet it was somehow to complex for the dev to even realize.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Just finished Far Cry New Dawn. It's pretty short, and mostly there to just kind of wrap up the plot elements from FC 5, though not really. It's fine. It's strange in that at the end, when you fight the Twins, they try and give them a moment where you sympathize with them and....yeah it fails miserably. They have ZERO redeeming qualities the entire game. They are nothing but loud, violent, homicidal bitches, who mock anyone who isn't part of their crew, feel entitled to everything they can take, and yet also ridicule people for trying to establish themselves. But I'm supposed to feel sorry for them at the end? Because, they are twins, and watching each other die is making them sad? Uhhh....yeah no. Sorry, pull the other one Ubisoft. Gameplay wise, it's more of the same from the franchise. It's VERY reliant on radiant missions and repeatable maps to farm for resources, to fuel your various upgrades. It kind of has to, because it shrinks the map down to like one section, of the previous 3 sections in FC 5. It's somewhat justified, as it establishes the rest of the area is heavily irradiated, and will kill you if you try and go in it. But still, makes for a fairly small exploration.

It felt like Blood Dragon, in that it was a smaller title, with less assets and area, but using the previously established engine, to have some fun with a concept that probably didn't have enough legs to be a full game. It was enjoyable, but nothing really unique to write home about.

I'm now debating, since I seem to be on a sneaky FPS kick, to either play FC Primal again, try and play FC 4 for the first time, or start Dishonored 2: Death of the Outsider. Never did finish that one, and I did enjoy it. Hmm, decisions decisions.