What are you currently playing?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I’ve gotten too invested in MGSV to leave it hanging, but damn if these side ops aren’t tedious. I just hit 70% complete and have like 44 more to go I think. It’s kinda like Groundhog Day scenarios of several highly repetitive mission types in two very samey maps, only saved by the fact you can use a plethora of the gear you’ve developed to complete them without risk of penalty like S ranks. Ultimately as far as the missions themselves though I’d literally rather be hunting flowers and birds for the exotics quests in RDR2 again, and that was arduous enough in itself.

After the side ops, I have roughly half the story missions left to S rank, but thankfully I’ve already nabbed all but I think two of chapter 2’s. Then there are the animal extractions, which I’m about half way through. Finally, the mission tasks I’ll save for last, as they seem to be a comprehensive aspect of one’s experience with the game; certainly more varied and therefore hopefully more engaging than all the other busy work.
I really wanted to like Metal Gear Solid 5, but it's such an absolute fucking mess of a game.

I love the mechanics of it, and I'm shocked with the amount of functions they managed to fit on a controller. The control scheme for that game is honestly amazing to me.

But man, the game itself just sucks so much. It's both unfinished and also way too long. There's soo many missions which often have no point. Grinding for materials is awful, the story basically goes nowhere (because it's unfinished), and 70% of the story is in the last 1/4 of the game. Everything about the design of this game other than the core mechanics is kind of atrocious.

Reactions: Dalisclock

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
At the urging of a few of my friends, I've created a new account for Old School Runescape. I did have an account before, but when I tried to log into it some weird stuff happened. The last time I used it was 2009, and I started a membership way too early so a lot of stuff ended up not getting done, and... well, then the big reset happened, except for some reason I couldn't set my own appearance or screen name. So, not feeling too attached to the old account anyway, I made a brand new one.

My current plan is to complete all of the free quests, then decide whether I feel like getting a subscription going after Dragon Slayer 1. So far I haven't yet left Lumbridge, though.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Apparently you have to play most missions like 3 times to get the most out of them and the best way to S-rank them is to basically rush the shit out of them because it's based mostly on time completed. .

I also feel compelled to drop this here since you're talking about 100% MGSV.

Saved for later, but yeah, if it wasn’t for the mechanics and sheer level of detail to the gameplay aspect I’d have uninstalled after the main story.

I really wanted to like Metal Gear Solid 5, but it's such an absolute fucking mess of a game.

I love the mechanics of it, and I'm shocked with the amount of functions they managed to fit on a controller. The control scheme for that game is honestly amazing to me.

But man, the game itself just sucks so much. It's both unfinished and also way too long. There's soo many missions which often have no point. Grinding for materials is awful, the story basically goes nowhere (because it's unfinished), and 70% of the story is in the last 1/4 of the game. Everything about the design of this game other than the core mechanics is kind of atrocious.
Basically the story is price you pay for gameplay admission.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Spoilers for ME: Andromeda

Just beat ME: Andromeda a few minutes ago. I really don't get the dislike of the game. I mean was it mostly just the really serious bugs? Because, from what I remember, playing it shortly after release, and again these past few weeks, it's pretty stable. It did have a few freak outs on my PC, forcing me to hard shut down the game, and my PC on one occasion. But, I mean I've played WAY more unstable games that people can't stop praising left and right *cough Fallout: New Vegas, cough cough*.

As far as the actual game itself, it's perfectly good, quite good in a lot of places actually. I won't say it's some mind blowing piece of gaming, but honestly, the ME: OT isn't really all that amazing in retrospect either. ME:A does have some issues, but a lot of them, are pretty much similar issues from the OT.

The economy/looting system is basically pointless, as there really isn't much of anything you need or want to spend money on. The few times you do, the cost of the item in question is laughably small. Otherwise you basically just build your weapons/gear, and those don't require credits so much as just farming for resources. Which you will find tons of if you are being even slightly diligent in exploring the galaxy.

I barely bothered with gear for the most part, as playing a Biotic, Titanic God of Zoomy Destruction, basically made it frivolous. I'd upgrade maybe every 20 levels or so, because Biotic Charge + Nova + Shotgun kills pretty much anything less than an elite/boss, and those still get royally fucked up by it. Nothing really has time to hurt me with that combat style. The Charge replenishes my shields, and puts me close enough where aiming with the shotgun is unnecessary, and then I follow up with Nova Slam, if the thing is still alive (usually they aren't), Charge has cooled down, and I repeat the process. This isn't unique to ME:A though, as I recall the Vanguard being ridiculously OP in the OT as well, this fact of the universe just continued with ME:A.

I found the characters mostly enjoyable, some were more milktoast than others, and some were just delightful. The krogan Drack was a wonderful character as the "grumpy old man"....who happens to be 1400 years old, and a combat powerhouse. He had great lines, great chemistry with the rest of the crew, and I genuinely enjoyed having him in cutscenes and random banter.

The standout for me was Cora though. 1. She's got biotic powers, which is already a major plus for me. 2. She's got that sexy little shaved head but with long hair on the top style that girls can rock and look hot. 3. She also just had a personality that I enjoy immensely. She takes no shit, but she isn't a *****. She's perfectly chill and comfortable with who she is, and is happy to let people just be who they are, as long as they aren't a threat. She's feminine and gentle when things aren't exploding, but when things ARE exploding, she's literally flying into combat next to me (because she's built for Charge+Nova too), and taking names. There was really no doubt who my love interest was going to be, and she was always in my group.

The rest of the ship crew was fun, had their own little sub-missions and storylines. Suvi was fairly dull, as most of her stuff just revolved around her being religious, and usually replying with "gosh, look at all this new stuff, it really makes you think about god huh?" No Suvi...no it doesn't. It makes YOU think about it, but not me. Gil, the engineer, was also fairly annoying, as his overall demeanor, I would summarize as "Frat Boy Dudebro." He's openly rude to the Salarian pilot, and does things that are genuinely risky as hell, especially since he doesn't actually inform anyone of the changes he's making. Basically he is constantly tweaking the ship, WHILE IN FLIGHT, and doesn't actually tell anyone. So you know, when the fucking pilot tries to fly the ship, and is surprised it's not responding how he expects, he gets mad. And yeah, I agree. Rewiring the engine of a Formula 1 car, while it's racing at top speed, is dangerous at best. Not telling the fucking driver you are doing it, is just stupid IMO. I appreciate that you have to adapt the ship for the dangers of Andromeda but, for fuck's sake Gil, at least notify us when you are gutting the ship mid-flight.

But yeah, I really don't get the flak the game got. The missions, both main and side felt on par with anything in the OT, from incredibly minor things, to big choices.

If I had a big complaint, it would be the hazard system, and the ammo boxes.

So, basically every planet you run around on, has some kind of hazard at first, that is a risk to you when you are running around on foot. So it forces you to move from safe zone to safe zone. Frozen planet forces you to move to heating stations, desert planet forces you to move to shade, etc. That's fine, no big deal. The problem is, they put SO MANY of the safe zone spots all over the map, it's basically a non-issue. I was never worried about actually being out in the cold so long I might start taking cold damage, as sometimes the nodes would be so close that SAM wasn't even done telling you "Ryder, you are in a dangerous zone now" before you were OUT of the danger, and back into safe. Which made for some really annoying audio spam of "Ryder I'm detecting dangerous levels" *literally 2 seconds later* "Levels back to safe levels Ryder" *and again literally 2 seconds after THAT* "Ryder, I'm detecting dangerous levels" It just became a tedious bit of distraction, as it's entirely for the player, as the character knows damn well he's in a cold zone, cold enough to hurt him, because HE can feel it. I just kept picturing Ryder, shivering in the cold of what is basically Hoth, and having SAM say in his head "Ryder...you are currently in cold temperatures" Ryder: "...YES SAM! I FUCKING KNOW!" *growls through chattering teeth* They should've extended the distances between safe zones on some of the worlds, the cold one specifically. The desert planet, the safe zone was shade, so any shadow was basically good enough, and...ok fair, lots of shadows when you are running around ruins, so I can't really fault the GAME that *I* was clever enough to hide in the shade of a truck to get a short reprieve from the glaring sun. But still, the constant updates, both visually and audibly, got old quick.

The other thing that was annoying, was the ammo resupply. Like the safe zones, they are fucking EVERYWHERE. 1. They telegraph super early that you are about to enter a combat zone, otherwise why is it there? But it also makes the idea of having a limited ammo supply superfluous. In a combat zone filled with near infinite ammo top ups, why have weapons with ammo at all? It doesn't make me have to think tactically about my attack, rationing ammo, relying on allies and timing combos with powers to maximize damage. No it's just, bullet hose until dry, then walk 10m in any direction, and you probably are in range to refill. 2. It just feels so off putting to go into an ancient ruin, of a long dead race, so technologically advanced they can instantly terraform entire planets....and they've got an ammo locker on the floor. I mean...why? They don't use physical ammo at all, it's ALL energy weapons from the Remnant. So why would they just happen to have ammo resupply boxes, all over their ancient terraforming stations, when they can just replicate robots with fucking laser beams of death, to do any defending?

I also got annoyed with how we'd go through these ancient ruins, filled with "amazing" things, that just blow away our scientists minds, making them salivate at the thought of running tests, and learning new secrets of the ancient Remnant technology! ....except the stuff I'm actually looting out of these containers....is apparently good for nothing other than vendor trash...and I get like 50 credits off of them. Less money mind you, than if I just sold them a random trash shotgun I found on a dead Kett. And since the economy is basically pointless, it makes it very unsatisfying to go dungeon diving for these items, when I know I'm not actually going to do anything with them.

You don't use them to make new and amazing upgrades to the Tempest. You could say they give you access to the Remnant research options, to make weapons/armor from that tech tree but....you are swimming in that tech from just scanning stuff. And the objects literally do nothing to help with the research. Also, odds are good you only will be using 1-2 items from that tech tree at all, which means you will have thousands of research points left over by the end of the game....like I did.

So yeah, a lot of ludonarative dissonance with those aspects.

But again, the OT had these issues a lot too. Little things that just kept popping up to remind you "oh yeah, this is a video game, and we are making allowances for that, even if it makes no sense"

Overall though, I quite enjoyed the game. It had some great characters, the Salarian Pathfinder was a personal favorite for me as far as the wider cast, and the final fight, where everyone that you spent the whole game making alliances with, show up to help you, was sufficiently enjoyable. One moment in particular actually got me choked up and a bit teary eyed with Awesome Tears. I really think this game gets a lot more flak than it deserves. It's not perfect, and some of the warts it does have are GLARING, but no more than the source material in my mind. I am bummed it was DOA, as I would genuinely like to see more in this galaxy going forward.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Started playing Star Wars: Squadrons today. Got it free via PS+, and needed a new game to play with the wifey. It's fine, I don't fly very well with a controller, and would much rather have a keyboard/mouse, but preferably an actual joystick.

The switching back and forth between New Republic and Imperial Remnant is interesting, though I've noticed something odd about the Imperial side, that reminds me of when I was playing Farcry 5. So, game devs these days get lots of flak (deservedly in most cases) for lack of diversity in the characters. Well....the Empire is the most diverse, progressive....fascist military state based on literal racists who were all about racial purity. I've literally only met ONE white dude....in the Empire....the...EMPIRE. I just, find it funny that they've gone to such great lengths, to represent every other race...in an organization based around bigotry and suppression :LOL:

I do think it's interesting how they structure the Imperial campaign though. They VERY clearly, minimize how much actual "killing of the Good Guys" they make you do. First mission, all the objectives are stationary, unmanned defensive platforms, and the second mission, is about stealthily tailing a Republic fleet, and you're told specifically to NOT engage. When things do go tits up, it's because a rival Imperial faction shows up, and ruins your plans. So you spend most of the mission, actually DEFENDING the Republic ships from the other Imperials, which I enjoyed immensely. I've also enjoyed intentionally sandbagging it as an Imperial pilot. Every time there is a bonus objective, I actively refuse to do it. I take pride in getting only a single medal for completing the mission, when playing as Empire. :LOL: "Why no, you evil, racist shit bags, I will NOT go out of my way to disable all of the escaping convoy ships, and will instead only disable the bare minimum required to actually finish the mission. ****** all you want lady, I'm not improving your tyrannical agenda. In a situation where they directly ordered us to destroy an entire fleet of non-combatants....they did it via cutscene, so as to keep the player from having any qualms about murdering innocents. Sure, your character did it (or at least your squad did, they only show one ship doing the shooting), but YOU the player didn't do it. Which I appreciate, as I don't enjoy playing an asshole at all, and seriously dislike it when I'm forced to do horrible things....I'm fucking looking at YOU RDR2.

I'm roleplaying my pilot as she is a sympathizer for the Republic, and is just biding her time until she can escape and join the Republic, like her prior copilot did years before. I suspect the game will let me eventually choose, or perhaps just have me eventually pick which campaign I will back until the end of the game. I'm curious how they will resolve the opposing campaigns when I get to the climax.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The switching back and forth between New Republic and Imperial Remnant is interesting, though I've noticed something odd about the Imperial side, that reminds me of when I was playing Farcry 5. So, game devs these days get lots of flak (deservedly in most cases) for lack of diversity in the characters. Well....the Empire is the most diverse, progressive....fascist military state based on literal racists who were all about racial purity. I've literally only met ONE white dude....in the Empire....the...EMPIRE. I just, find it funny that they've gone to such great lengths, to represent every other race...in an organization based around bigotry and suppression :LOL:
I need to play more of that game, I want to play it in vr but its weird to get used to that movement. Yeah its super weird how diverse disney made the Empire. I can understand why they did it in Captain America, it annoys me but I understand it, its just really super weird why they did it in Starwars.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Has anyone gotten the chance to play the Back 4 Blood beta?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Is it XBOX/PConly for the beta?
Playstation as well.

There's an early access beta going on right now, and then an open beta that starts on the 12th.

No idea if playstation is part of the early access beta (I assume it is), but it's definitely part of the open beta.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Spoilers for ME: Andromeda
ME:A wasn't the worst game ever or anything, but it wasn't a very good game. Extremely repetitive gameplay (all 5 planets play the same and are super generic one biome, to add insult to injury two of them are essentially the same biome) always fighting the same couple of enemy with a gameplay that never really evolve (limited to 3 power means you'll get everything you want very quickly, worse half way trough the game you run out of stuff to spend talent point on). Oh and also always fighting the same few boss, which aren't interesting once so even less 6 time. Looting is super boring and pretty necessary since the game was piss easy, I stop caring about upgrading my gear pretty quickly even though I was playing on highest difficulty, part of that was because upgrading gear was pointlessly complicated.

The entire concept of healing the planet never really did anything, you start in an hellhole at 0% habitability and once you reach 100% habitability you have... still a hellhole no different than the start (I guess there's like 2-3 pre fab building now, weeee). Worse, you're not even an explorer, everywhere you go has already had a bunch of people from the milky way. So this game about exploring and colonizing new galaxy has you doing neither of these things. Despite flying across space to an entirely new galaxy you only ever meet 2 new species, even ME1 had more species diversity. The conflict against the Khett is super boring, since they're never really developed and the archon never rise above being a generic bad dude. The Angoran are also pretty boring considering they're the only new species that really get explored, ME1 introduced a bunch of new species and each was more developed. And the writing is just atrocious, "my face is tired" isn't even the worst of it, almost no conversation feel natural. I dunno what you saw in the cast, they were fine but forgettable, except Peebee who can fuck off. The most interesting aspect is how Cora constantly bring up that she was part of the asari commando, to the point where it gets weird. So I was expecting some sort of revelation, like she couldn't cut it in the commando but was kept in for political reason and now she's horribly overcompensating. But no... she just always bring it up because that's literally the only interesting aspect about her and the written couldn't think of anything else to do with her.

It's like a eurojank level of game (same level as like spyder) except its from a big budget studio. If it wasn't related to ME it would have been forgotten within days of release. Oh also the animation at release was atrocious and somehow it still went gold.

Reactions: Hawki

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
ME:A wasn't the worst game ever or anything, but it wasn't a very good game. Extremely repetitive gameplay (all 5 planets play the same and are super generic one biome, to add insult to injury two of them are essentially the same biome) always fighting the same couple of enemy with a gameplay that never really evolve (limited to 3 power means you'll get everything you want very quickly, worse half way trough the game you run out of stuff to spend talent point on). Oh and also always fighting the same few boss, which aren't interesting once so even less 6 time. Looting is super boring and pretty necessary since the game was piss easy, I stop caring about upgrading my gear pretty quickly even though I was playing on highest difficulty, part of that was because upgrading gear was pointlessly complicated.
I don't disagree, but it's hardly like ME:OT had a wide variety of enemies. Tons of them were just palette swaps of the same things. The biomes of the worlds you could land on, were also single biome. It's not like you went from a swamp zone to a forest zone on a single map that you trundled around on.

[

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't disagree, but it's hardly like ME:OT had a wide variety of enemies. Tons of them were just palette swaps of the same things. The biomes of the worlds you could land on, were also single biome. It's not like you went from a swamp zone to a forest zone on a single map that you trundled around on.

[
Oh I don't disagree, but ME1 had good story/writing so I tolerated the boring gameplay because the rest could carry the game. ME:A has boring gameplay but it's the better part of the game.

Reactions: Hawki

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I do think it's interesting how they structure the Imperial campaign though. They VERY clearly, minimize how much actual "killing of the Good Guys" they make you do. First mission, all the objectives are stationary, unmanned defensive platforms, and the second mission, is about stealthily tailing a Republic fleet, and you're told specifically to NOT engage. When things do go tits up, it's because a rival Imperial faction shows up, and ruins your plans. So you spend most of the mission, actually DEFENDING the Republic ships from the other Imperials, which I enjoyed immensely. I've also enjoyed intentionally sandbagging it as an Imperial pilot. Every time there is a bonus objective, I actively refuse to do it. I take pride in getting only a single medal for completing the mission, when playing as Empire. "Why no, you evil, racist shit bags, I will NOT go out of my way to disable all of the escaping convoy ships, and will instead only disable the bare minimum required to actually finish the mission. ****** all you want lady, I'm not improving your tyrannical agenda. In a situation where they directly ordered us to destroy an entire fleet of non-combatants....they did it via cutscene, so as to keep the player from having any qualms about murdering innocents. Sure, your character did it (or at least your squad did, they only show one ship doing the shooting), but YOU the player didn't do it. Which I appreciate, as I don't enjoy playing an asshole at all, and seriously dislike it when I'm forced to do horrible things....I'm fucking looking at YOU RDR2.

I'm roleplaying my pilot as she is a sympathizer for the Republic, and is just biding her time until she can escape and join the Republic, like her prior copilot did years before. I suspect the game will let me eventually choose, or perhaps just have me eventually pick which campaign I will back until the end of the game. I'm curious how they will resolve the opposing campaigns when I get to the climax.

Surely you were aware in RDR2’s case that you were playing as an outlaw, no? I mean, one of his first lines was, “We’re bad men…”

Are you saying you would’ve been more invested if the bad stuff was left to cutscenes so you didn’t have to engage in it? To me, relegating a bad action(s) to a cutscene(s) isn’t the most effective way to keep the player engaged, and those uncomfortable moments are often as necessary as any - if not more so - to character development. If all the game did was allow the player to do what they wanted, there would be no narrative let alone anything resembling an arc.

In the end it’s actually rather brilliant being able to play Arthur as a perpetually low life pawn simply doing the careless bidding of a stand-in father figure, or upon slowly coming to the greater realization and understanding of how horribly misleading and personally destructive to self esteem and character that has been, right down to obtaining a literal death sentence, and an attempt at finding personal (surprise) redemption in the last few weeks/months of life through acts of kindness and goodwill if for nothing but the sake of itself.

Having said that, I suppose it being front-loaded with the required initial investment of stepping into the unsavory shoes of a tragic figure can put some people off. That’s partly by design though too in itself. This article mentions some of the things you took issue with -

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I played some of Final Fantasy 7 Remake on the PS5, and I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get petty. I really like the intro cinematic and accompanying score to it, especially how the meteor of the logo hits precisely as the score hits its peak. That is some real good shit. HOWEVER, in the PS5 version that sync is a second off for some reason and as a result it robs the intro of its pitch perfect climax. Bummer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Pitching in on Andromeda...it's not bad, but it's dull. And it's a dullness that took me 50 hours to complete. The characters are dull, the plot is dull, the kett are dull, and the gameplay, while arguably better than ME1 (in terms of combat and surface exploration) isn't good enough to alleviate this. Gameplay can absolutely make up for poor story (I mean, these are videogames - gameplay usually comes first), but this is Mass Effect, whose selling point is story and character. When Andromeda falls short on both of these counts...yeah.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Surely you were aware in RDR2’s case that you were playing as an outlaw, no? I mean, one of his first lines was, “We’re bad men…”

Are you saying you would’ve been more invested if the bad stuff was left to cutscenes so you didn’t have to engage in it? To me, relegating a bad action(s) to a cutscene(s) isn’t the most effective way to keep the player engaged, and those uncomfortable moments are often as necessary as any - if not more so - to character development. If all the game did was allow the player to do what they wanted, there would be no narrative let alone anything resembling an arc.

In the end it’s actually rather brilliant being able to play Arthur as a perpetually low life pawn simply doing the careless bidding of a stand-in father figure, or upon slowly coming to the greater realization and understanding of how horribly misleading and personally destructive to self esteem and character that has been, right down to obtaining a literal death sentence, and an attempt at finding personal (surprise) redemption in the last few weeks/months of life through acts of kindness and goodwill if for nothing but the sake of itself.

Having said that, I suppose it being front-loaded with the required initial investment of stepping into the unsavory shoes of a tragic figure can put some people off. That’s partly by design though too in itself. This article mentions some of the things you took issue with -

I'm saying I was made UN-invested when the game forced me to manually beat a man to near death, in a clearly psychotic episode, with no way out of it. You can spout all you want about 'it's a brilliant story of blah blah bad guy, blah blah sins of the past" ,but I don't really fucking care. I felt sick having to sit there and KEEP pushing that punch button, as that guy lay unconscious in the street. It didn't make me more invested in the story, it made me stop playing it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Oh I don't disagree, but ME1 had good story/writing so I tolerated the boring gameplay because the rest could carry the game. ME:A has boring gameplay but it's the better part of the game.
*shrugs* I thought it was just fine. It explained about as much as ME 1 did of the overall plot, leaving tons hidden for the obviously planned sequels. It hinted at larger issues going on, expanded the threat while also resolving the local issue, gave us a victory but also showed that we were in a rough position in the aftermath. It didn't feel of any less quality than ME 1 to me. I recently watched someone play ME1: LE, and the amount of bookeeping type missions, and random side things that ultimately are nothing more than fetch quests, was rather equal in my opinion. Like you said, you enjoyed the characters and script well enough to slog through what is mostly a boring combat system. And that is enough to be "good". Which is fine, I mostly agree. I just don't see ME:A as being significantly worse than that. Personally I found it on par with ME overall. As far as plot pacing, banter between squadmates, I felt they were given fun personalities that made them enjoyable to have around (Except Liam, I did find him somewhat uninteresting).

The mechanics of some of it's elements, like the terraforming not really doing much, other than lowering the threat spheres a bit, was underwhelming, and I found the Angara mostly annoying, they weren't an interesting race to me.

I also wish that the exploration actually let you find random map worlds to explore, instead of just codex entries and resources. They had a great setup of "lost angaran planets from centuries ago" to justify coming across random planets with ruins, and enemies to fight. But, they just never did anything with it. I dunno if that was an effect of the development problems they had, as they just didn't have time to map out extra content like that? But, it was a noticeable absence. I can't fault it too much, given how often I got bored with ME:1 's random planet slogs, that ultimately led to nothing of interest. But I think at least a few for variety, and a sense of discovery would've been nice.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I played some of Final Fantasy 7 Remake on the PS5, and I'm afraid I'm gonna have to get petty. I really like the intro cinematic and accompanying score to it, especially how the meteor of the logo hits precisely as the score hits its peak. That is some real good shit. HOWEVER, in the PS5 version that sync is a second off for some reason and as a result it robs the intro of its pitch perfect climax. Bummer.
I’d ask if the rest of the audio was off as well, but then realized nope; it’s probably just that lightning quick SSD loading tech.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
saying I was made UN-invested when the game forced me to manually beat a man to near death, in a clearly psychotic episode, with no way out of it.
Don't you understand? It's art! Don't you want to feel bad about beating the crap out of somebody and feel like a miserable person? Then the game persecutes you for it and make you feel like the ultimate badass! While a game designers act like complete and pretentious dicks about it thinking they're creating something amazing! You understand that feeling don't you?/end sarcasm.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Thief Reboot

I...I really tried to play this again. I LOVED the original Thief trilogy, it's one of my favorite franchises of all time. But...this game just, ugh. It changes so many fundamental components, that it's pure torture try and play. Not being able to fucking JUMP, when I'm playing a cat burglar. Forcing me to only be able to use my tools at prescribed locations on the map, effectively railroading me down certain paths, instead of letting me explore for myself how to best case a joint. The super SUPER edgelord edginess of both this Garrett, and the female main character, physically causes me pain to listen to them talk. I understand why the reboot died on the vine with this release, I just wish someone had picked up with the franchise, and done a new/better game.

Dishonored was definitely a spiritual successor to it, but, I've played all of Dishonored, and frankly, I'm rather sick of Dunwall. I'd like to see somewhere else in their universe at this point.