Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Only a little when it 1st came out. I had it for the 360 and the boy had "friends" over who did some "shopping" in my house and took it among other games. I got it for PC (Steam and GOG) and it doesn't work. Now I have it on Xbox 1. Gamefaqs has some cheats I plan to try but as this is a 360 game on the Xbox 1, I'm not sure they'll work. I can use all the advice I can get!
One of the best weapons in the game is the automatic Kobra pistol. You get it for free by doing the FUZZ mini game in the projects through level 3. If you do through level 6 you get dual kobras and unlimited ammo.

As far as vehicles go, the BEAR is pretty awesome. It an armed APC you can only get from the police so pissed them off and get enough heat on you until you have BEARs spawning. Hijack one and get it to your garage. It can also use the forgive and forget and even better, take them to the auto shop to get it modified. By that I mean upgrade the speed, armor, etc and get it a new paint job. Police chases don't mean much after that because pretty much nothing the cops have can scratch the thing (they did have a bad habit of ramming the back and and exploding a lot, which pissed them off even more).

These won't solve every problem but certain missions become a lot easier if you use them.

Reactions: gorfias

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I played through the penultimate chapter of Xenoblade 2. It's arguably a microcosm of the game, in that, not for the first time, some of the best and worst material is present, sometimes within mere minutes of each other. So on that note:

-Why is Amalthus trying to stop Malos from destroying the world, since his motivation is pretty much the same? Sure, his motivation is coming from a slightly separate place, but it's already been established that Malos is the way he is because of Amalthus's original influence. I've checked the wiki, and can't find any answer, so am I missing something here?

-So, I'm almost certainly reading way too much into things, but like poetry rhyming, and knowing what's further up ahead, there's a kind of symmetry in events here that I don't imagine is entirely coincidental. For instance, prior to Klaus destroying Earth, Radamalthus was under attack by the Saviourites, so cue a space battle with angel-like ships and all that. Now, over 4000 years later, the same space elevator is the site of a battle again, only with titans instead of ships, with one side seeking control of the World Tree (technically) and the other trying to stop them. Also adds to things that the artificial Blades used by Torna resemble the original angel-esque ship designs, and there's a stark contrast between their more clockwork-like appearance and the mechs that are still active inside the World Tree. In other words, "same shit, different day," only arguably it's a form of regression considering that Alrest doesn't match the technology of the original Earth.

-Of course, this is a JRPG with anime influences, so of course the Tornan warship is going to transform into a giant mech and fight a giant titan, and other titans are going to come around and...y'know what, fine. Whatever. I could make Attack on Titan or Godzilla jokes, but I really can't be bothered. Nor am I particuarly bothered about Mik dying, because he's hardly been a character, and the thing with Petroka was more creepy than endearing.

-So I get up to Jin as a boss, and...well, I'm not sure how many tries it took me to beat him, but I was up until around 2:30 last night just to beat the bastard. If Jin & Malos is the hardest boss in the game, then Jin by himself is the second hardest. Which is ironic, because considering you face Amalthus right after him, and I beat that guy in about 5 minutes...yeah. I don't know if it's down to the game or me, but something screwy is going on with boss progression.

-Concerning the story stuff here, whoo boy, got lots to talk about. For starters, Jin. Now that Jin's dead...I'm sorry, game, but I still don't feel that sympathetic for Jin. More sympathetic than I was chapters back. Honestly, at this point, I don't think Jin really believed in Malos's goals, or really in anything by this point. Rather, he's so broken that he's just lashing out at the world. That isn't exactly the most in-depth characterization in the world, nor is it unique, but it's really the best characterization I can think of.

-Similarly, honestly, in these cutscenes, Amalthus honestly generated more sympathy from me. Being objective, Amalthus isn't a good person in any form - he's arguably the most morally reprehensible person in the game bar Malos, and Malos himself is only the way he is because of Amalthus's influence. Still, given Amalthus's backstory, his entire death sequence did get me in "the feels."

-Also ties in nicely with the themes/motifs of the game. I speculated way back that if I was to sum up XC2's theme in one sentence, it would be "death and decay." Having come this far, I'd revise that to be "the cycle of violence," or words to that effect; basically a validation of the saying "violent actions breed violent men," since at this point, pretty much everything that's happened with the main characters is due to a cycle of loss, hatred, and reprisal. It's not all that deep a theme, and indeed, it was a sub-theme of sorts in XC1, but it certainly gives more gravitas to, what's on the surface, a plot of "bad guys want to destroy the world because they're bad."

-Speaking of XC1, again, I may be reading too much into things, but there's a stark contrast on the "God complex" in both games. XC1 has a world where "God" (Zanza) is a very real and malignant force. XC2 is a world where "God" (the Architect) is an indifferent force. It's kind of striking how similar Egil and Amalthus are, but while Egil's desires are driven in response to Zanza (rebelling against God, so to speak), Amalthus's actions are driven by the absence of God. Look at lines such as "oh Architect, is this the world you intended?" (as he comes to see Alrest as Hell), or one of his dying words, "oh Architect, why do you not answer when I call?" Sort of reminds me of Jesus supposedly saying "oh Lord, why hast thou forsaken me?" And if you want to ram the analogy even further, consider the glowing tentacles on his back, and ask yourself whether they remind you of an angel's wings, and that Amalthus is basically the setting's equivalent of the pope.

Maybe I'm giving the game too much credit, but at the very least, it's certainly trying to convey the themes I mentioned - violence begetting violence, loss leading to bitterness, loneliness and isolation leading to those similar emotions, etc. To be clear, if I'm comparing Egil and Amalthus, Egil is easily the better character, but I'll give XC2 credit where it's due. But, anyway, up to the last chapter - at this point, I just want to get things over and done with.

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I'm approaching the endgame in XCOM. As great as this game is, it does often seem that success or failure can depend on factors the player has no way of knowing beforehand, or mitigating the damage afterwards. Like sight lines. On one occasion I literally had an operative next to a tree unable to see an enemy literally on the other side of the tree. Weapon ranges are another factor I wish the game had a display of, because many enemies will seemingly snipe at operatives in full cover halfway across the map.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Happy Brithday! Hope it's been going great!

Actually, most of the bosses are fair and not that hard. Here's a hint, try not to use the same strategy that's was used in the Arcade games. It won't end well. Gnarly Mode bosses have so much HP, and they hit real hard!

Bayo2 is the first game, but better gameplay and mechanics. Stick around, because there are better unlockable bonuses, characters, and game modes too.

The difficulty is so much more balanced and not as rage inducing. You should get through just fine. The left bumper is Umbran Climax. It's this game's equivalent of Devil Trigger. It's runs off the same magic gauge as your torture attacks. Collect Moon Stones to extend bar, either by collecting them in hidden areas and challenge arenas, or buying them.
Oh the challenge arenas, another little thing I like about this game. Because I try them and either keep going until I complete them or just give up and continue with the game. I know, duh, that's the point, but very few games keep me feeling that way. Either I get in completionist mode and have to beat everything to assuage my pride or I just breeze through easy mode to get to the end. But Bayonetta is so good at supporting both type of play- "get through it already" vs "git gud," that it allows me to engage in either one based on how I feel that way.

One of my major major pet peeves is hyper ramped up difficulty at the end of the game which is usually when I just wanna finish it already. Bayonetta's challenge modes and difficulty balance and settings make me feel like I will not be tortured completing it which is great.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm approaching the endgame in XCOM. As great as this game is, it does often seem that success or failure can depend on factors the player has no way of knowing beforehand, or mitigating the damage afterwards. Like sight lines. On one occasion I literally had an operative next to a tree unable to see an enemy literally on the other side of the tree. Weapon ranges are another factor I wish the game had a display of, because many enemies will seemingly snipe at operatives in full cover halfway across the map.
Can't remember if its in XC1 or only XC2, but if you have mouse over where you want to go there should be a little icon above the alien that you can shoot from that location.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Metamorphosis by Ovid Works.

If you ask the average person about Franz Kafka, they might mention something about a man who turns into a bug, if they know the name at all. So it's no surprise that whenever something draws inspiration from him, it's normally a reference to the plot of the Metamorphosis, the story about Gregor Samsa, who wakes up as a man-sized bug for no apparent reason. However, this game uses that as a jumping off point to incorporate Kafka's other notable works, such as The Trial and The Castle.

The game begins with a surreal nightmarish sequence where Gregor, the PC, wakes up in an unfamiliar room and trying to leave for work, finds himself traversing a series of increasingly bizarre rooms and hallways, unaware he's slowly getting smaller and turning into a bug. A series of cryptic notes points him towards THE TOWER, where he can possibly become human again, and the rest of the game involves a journey across an increasingly weird and unhinged series of environments in the apartment building but also a fantastical bug society hidden in the walls and floors. In the meantime, Gregors journey as a bug has him bear witness to a parallel story of Joseph K, Gregors friend, who is under arrest for an unspecified and unknown crime, which is pulled straight from The Trial. Gregor can't directly interact with this due to the scale(though there are some things he can influence), and Joseph never notices the now insectoid Gregor. What it does play out as is Gregor traverse a room where everything(including the humans) are enormous in comparison and that plot is unfolding as a form of background narration to accompany the platforming and traversal.

Gameplay is pretty basic. As a bug you can climb, jump and move and occasionally make other things move by standing on them. There are sticky substances you can walk through and gain a limited supply of....stickiness that can be used to climb vertical surfaces, but the pools you walk through are infinite and it's easy enough to go to the nearest source if you run out. A vast majority of the challenge involves figuring out where to go and how to get there, but the game does have a built in "Map" that gives a birds eye view of the current area and gives you your current objective and where to go(you'll sometimes see glowing symbols to help as well). The game is actually fairly linear so it's hard to get lost for too long and you can generally only move forward, which avoids tedious long backtracking.

Ironically, the general plot of Gregor's journey to the tower involves him getting shuffled through a bunch of goals(short term goals) given to him by other bugs(who are implied to have also been human as well), of "Chain of deals" kind, where Bug A want you to do Action B for him you need something from Location C first. It's annoying but at the same time the linearity of the game makes it a lot less annoying then it could be, because you'll always end up where you need to go next by following the path. The obnoxious bureaucracy does feel fitting thematic because Kafka's works often entail meaningless red tape that serves no real purpose but you have to do it because that's all part of a vast machine that runs of its own accord(fittingly you'll have to weave your way through laybtihs of pipes and valves and wires and such along the way). You can easily die, but sometimes deaths are basically "You fell into an area you wouldn't be able to get out of" and then you're instantly taken back to the last checkpoint(and these are fairly reasonably spaced and autosaved).

The atmosphere is appropriately surreal, much like the mans writing, though the bugs you meet only kind of work in this regard. As mentioned before, it's implied they were all human like yourself once and everyone knows of the tower but everyone else has either given up trying to get there or has become stuck along their journey, so you have pockets of a bug society, such a town built around a film projector out of discarding cans and buildings made of pieces of scrap wood with creepy soviet-eqse propaganda films shown on a regular basis, posters with art deco bug people imploring "DUTY" and a 1930's style nightclub built into a gramophone(An old-timey record player). However, beyond that, nobody really seems to care much about their seemingly permanent transformation, so then you have the weirdness of being solicited by bug prostitutes(wierd and disturbing, because they're trying to use the sexy body language on you, despite the whole insect thing) and a mad preacher who has a region for every type of insect(though all the ones in the game look pretty similar). I also appreciated how Gregors voice starts as normal human, gets more and more creepy as he becomes a bug and eventually turns into a gutteral incomprehensible alien bug talk the rest speak.

In the end, the whole thing kind of does come together in a way that feels appropriate if not particularly happy. The devs appreciation of the subject matter is on display here(though it feels like knowledge of The Trial helps a bit understanding what's going on), with some nods to the banality of evil and dehumanization in an industrialized society. It's also just about 3 hours long, so it doesn't overstay it's welcome. However, how much someone actually likes it will depend a lot on two things. Are you interested in playing a 3d surreal platformer where you're an insect and do you appreciate Kafka(or think you would)? Because if you do, this game would probably work for you. If only one or neither of these are true, you'll likely want to give it a pass.
About 2 years late to the party but only just now realized this is a game I picked up from Amazon. I enjoyed the demo and look forward to the whole thing.
I did read it at Summer camp when I was 13ish. I thought it was about a guy that turned into a bug. Then someone else is talking about an apple representing sin and it festering in the bug and I'm like, "no, it was an apple and it stung like a b". May have to reread it sometime.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
About 2 years late to the party but only just now realized this is a game I picked up from Amazon. I enjoyed the demo and look forward to the whole thing.
I did read it at Summer camp when I was 13ish. I thought it was about a guy that turned into a bug. Then someone else is talking about an apple representing sin and it festering in the bug and I'm like, "no, it was an apple and it stung like a b". May have to reread it sometime.
To be fair Kafka can be interpreted numerous ways. The Metamorphosis in partcular has a lot of people reading into just what the whole bug thing means(and I've heard the German word actually means "Vermin" rather then "Cockroach" or 'Bug"). I'm honestly more partial to The Trial myself, which the game also draws a lot from, just for it's really unnerving "What if you were accused of a crime but nobody ever tells you what you're accused of but you're forced to spend the rest of your life paying lawyers to defend yourself anyway" premise. The fact that the trial seems to be perpetual(with a verdict taking years or decades to be reached and even then it's pretty much not over) and the system exists solely to perpetuate itself rather then out of any actual malice and everyone seems to be aware of it implicity except for the main character(unless he knew about it and just didn't think about it because it didn't affect him until it did). There's also a film version with Orson Welles and Anthony Perkins in it that captures the tone rarely well.

Hope you enjoy it. It's not a great "game" but I feel it does pretty good justice to Kafka which is probably enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
To be fair Kafka can be interpreted numerous ways. The Metamorphosis in partcular has a lot of people reading into just what the whole bug thing means(and I've heard the German word actually means "Vermin" rather then "Cockroach" or 'Bug"). I'm honestly more partial to The Trial myself, which the game also draws a lot from, just for it's really unnerving "What if you were accused of a crime but nobody ever tells you what you're accused of but you're forced to spend the rest of your life paying lawyers to defend yourself anyway" premise. The fact that the trial seems to be perpetual(with a verdict taking years or decades to be reached and even then it's pretty much not over) and the system exists solely to perpetuate itself rather then out of any actual malice and everyone seems to be aware of it implicity except for the main character(unless he knew about it and just didn't think about it because it didn't affect him until it did). There's also a film version with Orson Welles and Anthony Perkins in it that captures the tone rarely well.

Hope you enjoy it. It's not a great "game" but I feel it does pretty good justice to Kafka which is probably enough.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Given my current cooling woes I decided that I’m going to do a new play through of Jade Empire; a game that is in desperate need of a HD coat of paint. It’s still as fun as I remember but the lack of a voice for your chosen spirit monk is off putting when everyone else speaks. That and it’s movement controls are a little imperfect.

Still, great game and I’m sad it never got its sequel.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Bugsnax

You see... they're bugs, but they're also snacks.
Look, this is a baby game but I guess I'm feeling like a big baby. I saw it on Game Pass, I remembered it being a thing, and I'm just enjoying mindlessly walking around a cartoony world looking at stupid creatures, I guess.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Going for my first Strength build run-through of Dark Souls 1. So far, my weapon of choice is the Zweihander, and while hitting like a truck and pancaking enemies is satisfying, it's been a bit of a struggle. Getting the timing right for faster enemies has been a chore. I beat the Bell Gargoyles on my first attempt, but getting past the dozen low-level hollows on the way to them (upper level by the Channeler) took about 6 tries; I haven't died to that lot in forever. Just made it to Blighttown, and REALLY missing my DEX builds right about now...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bugsnax

You see... they're bugs, but they're also snacks.
Look, this is a baby game but I guess I'm feeling like a big baby. I saw it on Game Pass, I remembered it being a thing, and I'm just enjoying mindlessly walking around a cartoony world looking at stupid creatures, I guess.
For a "baby game", there's a lot of dark humor and implications the further you get into it.

Last edited:

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
For "baby game", there's a lot of dark humor and implications the further you get into it.
Oh yeah.. I mean I have some guesses as to the ending of this game's plot.

When I say "baby game" I refer to cartoony, bright-color aesthetics, really. Animal Crossing, Miiverse, etc.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Going for my first Strength build run-through of Dark Souls 1. So far, my weapon of choice is the Zweihander, and while hitting like a truck and pancaking enemies is satisfying, it's been a bit of a struggle. Getting the timing right for faster enemies has been a chore. I beat the Bell Gargoyles on my first attempt, but getting past the dozen low-level hollows on the way to them (upper level by the Channeler) took about 6 tries; I haven't died to that lot in forever. Just made it to Blighttown, and REALLY missing my DEX builds right about now...
In all your times playing through this game, you’re saying not one of them involved STR? Damn. All DEX prior or spell casting too? The nice thing with STR is Artorias greatshield can tank nearly everything. I beat Manus first try thanks to that gem.

I’ve pretty much always run a quality build in these games, but have really branched out in ER since it allows experimentation so easily.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
In all your times playing through this game, you’re saying not one of them involved STR? Damn. All DEX prior or spell casting too? The nice thing with STR is Artorias greatshield can tank nearly everything. I beat Manus first try thanks to that gem.

I’ve pretty much always run a quality build in these games, but have really branched out in ER since it allows experimentation so easily.
I've put points into STR obviously in my dozens of playthroughs, but never focused on using STR weapons like great swords or dragon weapons. DEX has been my pretty consistent go-to, though for the achievements, I've done sorcery and faith builds (faith was REALLY boring.) I feel extreme STR weapons are too laborious, and the risk/reward factor becomes pretty novelty after a while. I'm already dreading facing the likes of the DLC bosses.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
When I say "baby game" I refer to cartoony, bright-color aesthetics, really. Animal Crossing
I've seen more adults care about Animal Crossing than kids at this point. Shoot, when the game was super popular in the early to mid 2000s, I saw teens in my age play it more than the kids.

Remember, colors are for babies, grey and brown is for adults.
I knew one or two guys that tried to always stick with that mentality. Whenever it was a game that has color, but still kick ass, they would try to say it's an "exception" or "gay" (if it involves anything anime like; including DMC). Apparently grabbing and slamming a giant demon like a rag doll is not "manly or realistic" enough. These guys were always trying to goal post. Most people weren't having it though.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I love the Zweihander, the first time I beat the game was with a Zweihander and a stone greatshield.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
FInally finished Expeditions: Rome.

So I ended up rather enjoying it, though I do have some issues with it, which I'm gonna get out of the way right now.

So I finished this game in like 55 or so hours, a bit more then the 35 or so hours to finish Viking a month ago. A large part of that is while Viking is an RPG with tactical battles, Rome is a RPG with tactical battles AND a Total War Lite thing going on. You have 3 acts centered around a military campaign: Asia Minor(AKA Anatolia AKA present day Turkey), North Africa/Egypt and Gaul AKA Ancient France but centuries before France was a thing. Each one of those follows the pattern of: Use your legion(s) to attack enemy armies and capture sectors, once you've captured a sector, 70% of the time you need to do a specific combat mission to pacify it, which you can only use one member of your core team and the rest have to be Recruited NPCs, and then you can capture the sector for real to claim it's resources and build up your camp. You don't HAVE to build up your camp but it makes life easier in the long run and you have to capture X number of sectors per campaign anyway to be able to unlock the Finale of Each act, a big Siege battle. Also, traveling around outside of sectors you controls causes a lot more random events such as battles to pop up, and the random battles get annoying real fast because you don't get XP from them, just gear and some cash. And you still have story missions you have to do, as well as any side missions you want to do, on top of this. Again, you don't have to do the side quests, but they often net rare stuff you can't get anywhere else and XP, which you only get from completing quests, so that's the big reason to do them.

The big issue with this is that the Legion battles are pretty boring after a bit. You pick a commander to start with, and then get 3 phases where you pick from 3 strategies picked at random which have advantages in green numbers and/or disadvantages in red numbers and then you watch the armies(which are symbols on a map) bump up against each other while numbers go down as people die. And the one who has better numbers wins the battle, with you getting to pick a final "Defeat/Victory" card at the end either migrating your losses or giving you some kind of boost. And you'll do a LOT of these and after a while it's just comparing the green and red numbers and skipping till the end to make them go faster.

The big take away from this is that all these battles and total war/risk conquering sectors don't do a lot other then make the game drag out for a good 10-20 hours longer then they really need to be, because you also need to let armies rest and hire more soldiers and such between battles. Don't get me wrong, the game is notably longer then either of the previous Expedition games (3.5 acts instead of 2 acts) but it feels like a bit of a weak spot.

Another thing that grinds my gears is the fact that when you enter a mission area, you normally choose which people go on that mission except for the few where you have to take certain people or sieges where you have 2-3 teams with enough slots for ALL your guys and it's up to you how you divide them up. This part is fine, it's the fact that you can't access your inventory on this screen or back out from it, so if you want to verify that everyone is loaded up with bandaids or flame grenades or throwable spears or caltrops, well you should have done that BEFORE you committed to the battle because they're going in with what they have and no you can't change their stuff around once you're in the battle. It feels really basic QOL stuff and it annoys me it's not there. Especially since certain missions go a lot faster if you have certain items equipped(notably missions where you have to burn stuff).

With that out of the way, the game does work pretty well, The three campaigns feel distinct from each other and there's a plot driving you through them, as well as character quests and stories within each act. Some missions can be made easier by saying the right things, sometimes you have to make choices that feel shitty no matter what you do, sometimes you get the satisfaction of deciding if the important guy you just defeated should be imprisoned, captured or let go and sometimes that decision will mean something later(and sometimes it won't). The ending does remember a lot of your decisions and like the old fallout games, actually does a rundown of what happened because of your actions.

The sieges are also really cool(with one exception because I think they were running short on time) because each of your teams are trying to accomplish different objectives at the same time and there's a constant flow of allied(and sometimes enemy) reinforcements to make it feel like a much larger battle. For example, In the first siege Team A is attacking the front gate while the while Team B is sneaking through a hole in the back wall and is burning the enemy catapults before moving on to rescue hostages held deep within the city, before both teams meet up to take down the enemy leader and finish the battle and thus the war. In game, this either involves switching between two teams each turn or having one team finish their job and then going to the next phase of the battle where the other team attacking a different part of the city, and then so on.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Continued.....

The ending deserves some credit here. The final act after the conquest of Gaul/Gallia is a return to Rome, a conquerer but also at considerable Risk. So through the game it's been established there is a dipshit corrupt senator named Lurco who has basically been fucking around behind the scenes everywhere you've gone and has been trying to get rid of you while you fuck up his plans. When you return to Rome, he's basically trumped up some charges on you and plans to put you on trial in the Senate to face Exile or Execution. When you reach the Rubicon with your legion, you're given a choice. Disband the Legion as you lawfully must do as a Roman Commander and walk into Rome as a citizen to face trial OR March your Legion into Rome and arrest Lurco, consequences be damned.

This decision splits Act 4 into 2 different endgames. Disbanding the Legion leads to a set of events where you're trying to take Lurco down within the means the law affords to you, despite how often he's ignoring it to get rid of you. This is arguably the "Good" endgame, where if you do it right, the Roman Republic continues to exist for some time longer then it did historically. OTOH, if you march your legion into Rome, you are essentially bringing down the Republic and setting the stage for the rise of the Empire and you're not only gonna shed a lot of blood to take down Lurco, a lot of your friends are gonna be pissed that you're betraying the Rome you fought for the past 50 or so hours. You can become the First Roman Emperor by crushing those who stand between you and taking power if you want though arguably this is the "Jerk" ending.

Interestingly, the game gives you plenty of options through dialogue and action throughout that either can work. There's numerous conversations where you can justify your actions as doing what's best for your men and for Rome OR you can argue you're doing this for yourself and to get Lurco(and Lurco is a selfish, corrupt dick who is more then happy to fuck others over for his own gain while pretending to be innocent) and if your doing this for your benefit and for revenge, the Empire endgame actually makes a lot of sense. You also can/will also do plenty of sketchy shit to win per the plot, though normally it's to your enemies so it's okay, RIGHT?

It's also closer to actual history because if you're not familiar, this is basically what Ceaser did when he returned from his Wars in Gaul. In fact, the entire game is basically an alt-history take on Ceasers Life and Rise to Power, but since Ceaser died in an ambush way back in Act 1, you basically take his place in history. The big difference here is that Lurco in some ways is also playing Ceaser as well, using the wars to gain and keep power(and in some cases, starting them).

Either endgame requires sacrifices, so neither one is painless so the question becomes what are you willing to give up to accomplish your goals in the end and in this way I feel it's satisfying. That and In the ending where the Republic stays strong and you take Lurco down within the bounds of the law, the game ends with the mob turning against him, him being captured and the last thing you see of him is him being LITERALLY CRUCIFED in front of the Senate for Treason and Murder and god does that feel cathartic after all the shit he ends up pulling

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan