What are you currently playing?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I gotta say, I'm not feeling GoW: Ragnarok as much as I should be. Primarily combat-wise things feel off kilter for me. The level design and puzzles don't read too well either, and the story feels pretty scattered. There's some very fun character moments here and there, but so far it's not really clicked all that well for me.
I’ve noticed parry timing feels different, but maybe I’m paying too much attention to the animations of certain attacks. The first “boss” fight took a while to get down and started reminding me a lot of a certain Elden Ring enemy only a bit more juiced up.

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I’ve noticed parry timing feels different, but maybe I’m paying too much attention to the animations of certain attacks. The first “boss” fight took a while to get down and started reminding me a lot of a certain Elden Ring enemy only a bit more juiced up.
I'm using the diamond shaped shield, but I can't seem to get the L1 counter attack to work, and even when I do it just doesn't feel as satisfying as the '18 light and heavy counter. I don't know if there's anyway to get the old shield mechanic back, because so far this new shield isn't working all that well for me. Maybe I should try the square shield, but I don't think you can parry with that one, which is the main reason to even have the shield honestly.

Also, the new menu lay-out in this game looks kinda fuck-ugly.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Margit kicked my ass so hard, but I am biased against summons or spirits. I ended up having to explore more of the early areas then going back and fighting him later.
Yeah, he was brutal to starting out and the game kinda funnels you into that direction so you will probably encounter him before you are ready, skill or stat wise.
It is kinda brillant the first thing you see when you step out of the door is Stormviel castle, with an obvious "Go here" implication. You can go around it but it's clear the game wants you to see that as your first big goal.

And then you go past the castle and see a whole different area you really couldn't see before, just as enticing.
Taking your advice and exploring elsewhere for a while. Still, this is FROM we're talking about; my fear is if they've hidden anything off the beaten path(s), they're gonna make me work for it. Found a very large and pretty pink flower... with lightning and poison powers, and the ability to slam it's head like a wrecking ball. I got killed by a flower. Thanks, FROM.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The first “boss” fight took a while to get down and started reminding me a lot of a certain Elden Ring enemy only a bit more juiced up.
Oh no this hurts my hype! (I am really looking forward to Ragnarok but likely won't get to play for a while and I HATE the Elden Ring bosses)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
God of War: Ragnarök. Game looks and runs great on base PS4. There was never any doubt from me. For those getting the PS4 version, it is 2 discs. One to install everything, and the other to play the game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Thanks, apparently most people on Reddit seem to agree the game plays fine on PS4. If Ragnarok looks and performs as well as GoW 2018 that's good enough for me.

Don't know if you're into trophies but do you know if there are any missables/do you get to clean up after beating the game? Wanna go in blind without worrying about trophies like GoW 18.
The error I got was CE-34878-0. I checked my error history and have had the same one over the last couple years for Infamous: Second Son, Bloodstained: RotN, RDR2 (multiples times) and Mafia 3. Kinda cringing to think my HDD might be having issues. Not sure if it’s even worth backing up since it might just carry the issue over to a new one. Will try a cold reboot and maybe database rebuild.

Btw, less than five seconds (mostly, give or take a few) for checkpoint restarts and about 37 loading a manual save.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Finally picked up Hands of the Necromancer again since version 2 just came out, its a gzdoom engine game that is really along the lines of Heretic and Hexen. It plays well but most of the weapons have some weird quark that makes them crap unless used right, but you can change shape and thats neat, not as good as something like Hedon (but Hedon is god tier) but its pretty good.

I also beat Moss again. Its so damn good and I wanted to replay it since Moss 2 came out on steam and the first game isn't that long. Still wonderful and cute and awesome.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Btw, less than five seconds (mostly, give or take a few) for checkpoint restarts and about 37 loading a manual save.
Was gonna say, it's like half a minute to load the game. All that trash talking from reviewers against the PS4 version was greatly exaggerated. Game looks as good if not slightly better than 2018, runs perfectly smoothly and several hours into a first session the PS4 hasn't raised a peep over its usual faint whirring. Don't even know what I was worried about. Only hiccup was Atreus sliding across the screen to teleport ahead of Kratos for one cutscene.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
As much fun as I'm having with Ragnarok, it feels doubly stop-and-start as GoW 2018. The first act, if it's even over 3 hours into the game, has you go back to your home 3 times in a row after an exciting action sequence (where a single inciting incident should go, it's as if couldn't decide on one so they went with all of them). Repel Freya's attack. Time to go home. Fight Thor (in a repeat of Baldur's unending DBZ debut). Time to go home. Follow Atreus to the shrine. Time to go home. Wouldn't be surprised if the dwarves send me back home after fixing the shield. As for the plot, it's all very up in the air so far. Feels like Kratos is just tagging along on his son's adventure, which is fairly loosely structured. I get they're trying to prevent or overcome Ragnarok but I'm not sure why this puts them at odds with Odin et al.

Gameplay itself is fine, nothing much changed so far. You start off with the axe and the chains but none of the equipment ("I used it") or magic ("Fimbulwinter wore it out", somehow). Feels like the first few hours are speeding across everything GoW did in 2018, hopefully clearing the table for the actual new stuff.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The combat in GoW Ragnarok is working a bit better for me, but only after the game finally allowed me to actually train with it. The combat areas in the first 2 to 3 hours of the game feel so spars and short that it was hard for me to really get a feel for all the changes. And once you actually get to the main game you go to Svartalfheim where you primarily fight Grims, which quite honestly aren't that fun to fight. So the combat is pretty sweet, but the game really isn't very good at giving you ample room to explore it at the start.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
1668084817873.png

Takes a while to load. You have to watch an unskippable cut scene before getting into the game. I selected a quick game and actually shot down 10 bad guys. I really stink at aerial combat games but this one is very accessible. Nice diversion.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
As much fun as I'm having with Ragnarok, it feels doubly stop-and-start as GoW 2018. The first act, if it's even over 3 hours into the game, has you go back to your home 3 times in a row after an exciting action sequence (where a single inciting incident should go, it's as if couldn't decide on one so they went with all of them). Repel Freya's attack. Time to go home. Fight Thor (in a repeat of Baldur's unending DBZ debut). Time to go home. Follow Atreus to the shrine. Time to go home. Wouldn't be surprised if the dwarves send me back home after fixing the shield. As for the plot, it's all very up in the air so far. Feels like Kratos is just tagging along on his son's adventure, which is fairly loosely structured. I get they're trying to prevent or overcome Ragnarok but I'm not sure why this puts them at odds with Odin et al.

Gameplay itself is fine, nothing much changed so far. You start off with the axe and the chains but none of the equipment ("I used it") or magic ("Fimbulwinter wore it out", somehow). Feels like the first few hours are speeding across everything GoW did in 2018, hopefully clearing the table for the actual new stuff.
I’ve read somewhere that the first third or so of the game is pretty meandering and almost like it’s hiding its time, and then big stuff starts happening at some point thereafter.

The home theme seems like a running joke of Kratos just wanting to get some damn sleep. Kinda like IRL parents of overactive kids lol.

Anyways, it was funny that Brok and Sindry were secretly watching Kratos fight Thor. Get the feeling this was Brok when Kratos clocked him in the jaw -

1668087074503.gif

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Taking your advice and exploring elsewhere for a while. Still, this is FROM we're talking about; my fear is if they've hidden anything off the beaten path(s), they're gonna make me work for it. Found a very large and pretty pink flower... with lightning and poison powers, and the ability to slam it's head like a wrecking ball. I got killed by a flower. Thanks, FROM.
Latest tale from the plains of Limgrave (Elden Ring,) was feeling high on myself after clearing a fort without much hassle. Wandered out and saw a few of those hollows who're oddly digging at the base a huge stone cliff, so of course I killed them, and as soon as I killed the last one, a massive fuck-all bear dropped from the sky. First time in a long time that a game has seriously scared me; my first response was an expletive at the top of my lungs. Not to brag, but in my utter panic, I managed to use my muscle memory to recall the button combo to summon my horse and try to get away. Apparently, leash points are a thing FROM is pretty loosey-goosey with, because I saw nothing but my horse's ass and that bear's mouth clipping through my camera for what felt like an eternity. The bear finally backed off, but my heart beating through my chest told me that was enough Elden Ring for today. But I didn't die!:cool:

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Latest tale from the plains of Limgrave (Elden Ring,) was feeling high on myself after clearing a fort without much hassle. Wandered out and saw a few of those hollows who're oddly digging at the base a huge stone cliff, so of course I killed them, and as soon as I killed the last one, a massive fuck-all bear dropped from the sky. First time in a long time that a game has seriously scared me; my first response was an expletive at the top of my lungs. Not to brag, but in my utter panic, I managed to use my muscle memory to recall the button combo to summon my horse and try to get away. Apparently, leash points are a thing FROM is pretty loosey-goosey with, because I saw nothing but my horse's ass and that bear's mouth clipping through my camera for what felt like an eternity. The bear finally backed off, but my heart beating through my chest told me that was enough Elden Ring for today. But I didn't die!:cool:
When in doubt, ride on out. That also holds true as a good loot hunting strategy for wherever Torrent is allowed. Makes Caelid much less of a nightmare.