What are you currently playing?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Y'know, something I've realized, I could probably stomach this game more readily if I had a friend in the room with me, someone to converse with, someone to laugh at my failures so they feel less like abject failures. I think a cheerleader would make the whole thing feel more "fun" and less "depressing." I used to game like that with my buddy back home in Ohio all the time; we've not done that in nearly a decade.
Cheer up, skeleton!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No, it's still there. When you pop in the game and start new campaign, the game will prompt you on which play style you want. You can either choose the Souls mode or go with the Darksiders mode. I don't know the official naming for it, but it's true that is what the update does.
Ohhh yeah, I kinda remember seeing that. I did Souls and enjoyed the hell out of it, which I kinda didn't expect, since I haven't liked any other soulslike that was that souls like. I mean Surge was fine, but when I couldn't figure out where to go next, I was totally happy to play something else.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Tried out the Steam release of Dwarf Fortress for a couple of minutes before deciding I'm too tired to deal with it for now. I notice that you can set both the economy and enemy difficulty to hard now. This is good because last time I played it was trivial to simply shut your drawbridge and keep all the enemies out and trade for everything that you could ever want for a couple trinkets. After embarking I notice the music is really weird. It's more like ambient sounds from a horror movie or something, just a lot of weird sounds. Maybe this is because I settled in a haunted mountain. It's kind of annoying.

I don't know if all the updates will make the game playable for me, I suspect that the game will still manage to put me off, but we'll see.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic Frontiers - I beat Wyvern, finishing the second Super Sonic fight. I am starting notice how the open worlds gets limiting with the forced 2D sections. Sega, why are you copying Nier or Nier Automata? Apparently, there are more of these the further you get. Why Sega? I want to explore but I don't want to be locked on to rails to get certain spots or important destinations. There is still plenty of 3D movement, but it's one of those odd decisions only Sega would do. It's not a complete downer. The new attacks I've recently acquired I am loving right now. The atmospheric music for each island works and make me feel like I am in a Studio Ghibli film.

Reactions: Hawki

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Lol, you say that just as I reached Caelid yesterday.

Caelid isn’t as bad as its rep makes it out to be. It also has a sweet katana in the waypoint ruins that’s good for the chrysalids and other baddies with tough exteriors. If you’re still using the Uchi it’s a good offhand option for powerstancing.

Pretty much all the poisonous stuff can be avoided with Torrent, and it’s easy to go around looting stuff without much trouble, save for a particular fort and a castle. Although the smoothest difficulty curve would be saving them until after Liurnia and Mt Gelmir.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Caelid isn’t as bad as its rep makes it out to be. It also has a sweet katana in the waypoint ruins that’s good for the chrysalids and other baddies with tough exteriors. If you’re still using the Uchi it’s a good offhand option for powerstancing.

Pretty much all the poisonous stuff can be avoided with Torrent, and it’s easy to go around looting stuff without much trouble, save for a particular fort and a castle. Although the smoothest difficulty curve would be saving them until after Liurnia and Mt Gelmir.
You had me at "katana." I've bested quite a few dungeons, but have yet to find anything significant that speaks to my build (anyone need smithing stone [1]s? Because I've got a shit-ton, and need smithing stone [3]s.) If I can find another katana, that'd be sweet.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Just tried some Neon White alongside CC: Reunion last night, and was not only quite addictive, but the drum n bass (along with a couple of other genres) soundtrack is popping off excellently. Am seriously considering turning it all the way up and drowning out those goddamn awful anime waifu voices though. I...hate them! Squeaky goddamn bloody fuck dolls all up in my shit all the damn time: lemme vibe with the speedy bang bangs in peace! Even if it was, uhh, 3 in the morning...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Just tried some Neon White alongside CC: Reunion last night, and was not only quite addictive, but the drum n bass (along with a couple of other genres) soundtrack is popping off excellently. Am seriously considering turning it all the way up and drowning out those goddamn awful anime waifu voices though. I...hate them! Squeaky goddamn bloody fuck dolls all up in my shit all the damn time: lemme vibe with the speedy bang bangs in peace! Even if it was, uhh, 3 in the morning...
From what I seen so far in YouTube playthroughs, everything about the game has that whole "This is my first anime/manga/animesque writing gig". You know how in the early 2000s and there were certain web comic creators that were making their artwork as anime or close to anime as possible while still being western. But they had the writing skills of really bad dubs or localization. Or trying too hard at being funny and think the materials the best thing in the world.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
From what I seen so far in YouTube playthroughs, everything about the game has that whole "This is my first anime/manga/animesque writing gig". You know how in the early 2000s and there were certain web comic creators that were making their artwork as anime or close to anime as possible while still being western. But they had the writing skills of really bad dubs or localization. Or trying too hard at being funny and think the materials the best thing in the world.
Yeah, it does have a kinda amateurish feel in that area of the game, which is fair enough, as do many other games acclaimed for their gameplay. Is just as soon as that first waifu appeared and started speaking, I had to bury head in hands cause all I could hear is Tails (from Sonic series) on serious heat. 😉

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You had me at "katana." I've bested quite a few dungeons, but have yet to find anything significant that speaks to my build (anyone need smithing stone [1]s? Because I've got a shit-ton, and need smithing stone [3]s.) If I can find another katana, that'd be sweet.
If you started as samurai and like powerstancing, there’s another Uchi you can get from a cave in northern Limgrave.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I've been working my way through Doom Eternal, and once I got used to its quite more demanding gameplay, this game blows Doom 2016 out of the water. The enemy variety is greater, the arenas are more dynamic and interesting, the movement options add a ton to the combat, which is about as frenetic as you can get. It has that same quality of making you feel like a total badass that Bloodborne has, where you're constantly ducking, weaving and darting just out of harm's way while tearing through legions of enemies. It's fantastic. And dear lord the sound design! I think it might have gotten a bit ignored with everyone creaming themselves over the soundtrack, and Doom 2016 already had pretty stellar sound. But it still bears drawing attention to, because these might be the best weapon sounds I've ever heard in a game. The sound of the fully upgraded and mastered precision bolt genuinely feels like it'd blow the eardrums of everyone within 500 meters in real life. Every weapon has a thick, bassy kick even when the sound effects themselves can be a bit muted. Just glorious stuff.

But it has a lot of the same problems that Doom 2016 had. Namely that a lot of the upgrade stuff feels extraneous and could be removed altogether without harming the core experience. The game showers you with Praetor tokens and weapon points, but once you're settled into a routine with your weapons and mods of choice, adding more just feels like a waste. The Praetor upgrades in particular feel pretty situational, and focused on areas that are like 5% of the experience. 5 entire upgrades for the frost grenade when I barely even use the normal grenade? Nah chief, I'm good.

In new problems, the Marauder can choke on a fat one. It's bewildering that with such otherwise stellar enemy design, the "super tough" enemy is only made tough by being a glorified quicktime event. Any time that wolf howl shows up I can feel my enthusiasm sinking like the Kursk. The Marauder always demands your immediate and undivided attention, which gets aggravating real fast when there are 2 Mancubuses, 3 Cacodemons and an Arachnotron vying for the same thing.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Played Dwarf Fortress Steam version for several hours today. It's a lot more playable than it used to be for sure, but it's still so very, very janky and kind of boring. The game is still severely lacking ways to get information to the player in convenient ways. There doesn't seem to be a screen where I can look at an overview of the highest skills each of my dwarves posess so I can easily decide on how to assign jobs. Instead you need to go to the list of dwarves and click on each one to go to their personal overview, this closes the main list, then you need to close that dwarf and re-open the citizen list and click the next in line. Repeat 10-200 times. One of my dwarves went 'stark raving mad' after going into a strange mood for a while, and I got a notification of this. Clicking on the focus camera button simply took me to an empty area, I guess it was the location that my dwarf was the moment the notification popped up, but since moved on. The game is filled with little annoyances like this, where it's still inconvenient to access the information that you want to. It's better than it used to be, but it's still nowhere near what you would expect for a game released in 2022.

The game is still kind of boring also. I purposefully chose a haunted mountain right next to a goblin fortress, because I was hoping the game would have some interesting conflict. I also set enemy and economy difficulty to hard. Despite that I still haven't had a goblin invasion after almost a year, and I haven't even set up my military yet. I spent 3 seasons getting around to setting up a farm because I had no soil and was figuring out how to make a well from an aquifier and make mud out of water, despite that my dwarves are still alive and mostly happy despite running out of alcohol several times (like 5 of them are max happy even though the fort sucks and nobody has any luxury goods), and I still was a fair way away from staving just with the default starting goods and slaughtering a couple animals that migrants brought that couldn't graze on the dead haunted grass anyway. I still don't know what people see in the game, really, there's a ton of detail if you look for it, but it's all just noise. Yes each dwarf has a massive character sheet of personality traits, dreams, and memories, but it doesn't really matter. They are all functionally identical and do the work that I tell them to (most of them are just standing around jobless because so many migrants come, and I'm not good enough at the game to have all the work set up correctly). I haven't even looked at the dwarves beyond looking at the skills part of their overview because it just doesn't matter. I just really can't care about them because there's so many and the game moves so fast it's hard to keep track of anything on a micro level. I don't know, the game just isn't for me and I don't think any amount of updates will change that.

Kind of feeling like going back to Rimworld now, a much better designed game, that that will actually punish you if you play badly and consequently actually feels like there's a point to making an efficient colony.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Tried out the Steam release of Dwarf Fortress for a couple of minutes before deciding I'm too tired to deal with it for now. I notice that you can set both the economy and enemy difficulty to hard now. This is good because last time I played it was trivial to simply shut your drawbridge and keep all the enemies out and trade for everything that you could ever want for a couple trinkets. After embarking I notice the music is really weird. It's more like ambient sounds from a horror movie or something, just a lot of weird sounds. Maybe this is because I settled in a haunted mountain. It's kind of annoying.

I don't know if all the updates will make the game playable for me, I suspect that the game will still manage to put me off, but we'll see.
I did turn the ambient sounds off very quickly, but I'm still playing. Tried to water my fields by redirecting the river. Flooded the base and killed my duck. And all the dwarves a bit later because they kept going into the flooded base.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I've decided to get back into Witcher 3 again after the big update on my beefy PC.

Before you guys go update your games, I strongly advise against it. Because right now 90% of all mods are incompatible with the game. I tried several times on tweaking settings until finally giving up and deleting all mods, and pretty much launching the game in a clean state. Even then, the game is poorly optimized, with my beefy rig the game only reaches around 40-50 fps. And I have 3080 and i7-7800k. I'm pretty sure my specs are enough. And I'm not even using ray tracing. I tried to mess around with the graphics settings, and it's still giving me performance issues. It's like taking a beautiful wedding cake and dumping jelly beans all over it.

I hear it's playing beautifully on consoles, and I'm happy for them. Everyone deserves to give this game a try at least once

Otherwise, it's still the same amazing story, characters, and world-building. The open-world gameplay and combat are definitely still a hit-or-miss. Gwent is still fun

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I did turn the ambient sounds off very quickly, but I'm still playing. Tried to water my fields by redirecting the river. Flooded the base and killed my duck. And all the dwarves a bit later because they kept going into the flooded base.
This honestly sounds like what I've heard about DF. Also fucking hilarious.

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
I've decided to get back into Witcher 3 again after the big update on my beefy PC.

Before you guys go update your games, I strongly advise against it. Because right now 90% of all mods are incompatible with the game. I tried several times on tweaking settings until finally giving up and deleting all mods, and pretty much launching the game in a clean state. Even then, the game is poorly optimized, with my beefy rig the game only reaches around 40-50 fps. And I have 3080 and i7-7800k. I'm pretty sure my specs are enough. And I'm not even using ray tracing. I tried to mess around with the graphics settings, and it's still giving me performance issues. It's like taking a beautiful wedding cake and dumping jelly beans all over it.

I hear it's playing beautifully on consoles, and I'm happy for them. Everyone deserves to give this game a try at least once

Otherwise, it's still the same amazing story, characters, and world-building. The open-world gameplay and combat are definitely still a hit-or-miss. Gwent is still fun
Yikes. Good thing I got only like 30% through the download last night before going to sleep. Mod incompatibility and framerate issues are a big no-no for me, especially since I just got a PC this fall that can run the normal version at all the swankiest settings. Thanks for the public service announcement.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Yikes. Good thing I got only like 30% through the download last night before going to sleep. Mod incompatibility and framerate issues are a big no-no for me, especially since I just got a PC this fall that can run the normal version at all the swankiest settings. Thanks for the public service announcement.
Yeah, and it's up to the mod creators to figure out how to make their mods compatible, which depending on their schedules can take anywhere from a few days to few weeks. CDPR also stated they are working on a patch for PC version to make the game more stable, which again we have no idea how long it'll take.

Bartholen

Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Yeah, and it's up to the mod creators to figure out how to make their mods compatible, which depending on their schedules can take anywhere from a few days to few weeks. CDPR also stated they are working on a patch for PC version to make the game more stable, which again we have no idea how long it'll take.
That's downright impressive. To not just Cyberpunk your own game in an update, but a 7-year old game to boot. What the hell are they smoking in the CDPR offices?