What are you currently playing?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Is it an adventure game or an RPG or what? I've vaguely noticed it but know nothing about it.
I honestly didn't play it long enough to get a real feel for everything about it, but I didn't notice any RPG elements. It's point-n-click like Monkey Island or King's Quest from back in the day, so I'd lean towards it being an adventure game.

Reactions: Dalisclock

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Didn't know that was a thing, I 'll have a look out for them, or I suppose I might be able to craft one and change the stats, I think that's a thing.
It's most common on red/archeotech relic gear.

I suppose a flamer will do, I just hope I don't stumble into any heavy flamer grade heresy.
Exalted Saint mode puts the heavy flamer to shame.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Norco

It's an 8-bit point-n-click adventure title that got loads of positive reviews, and I was looking for something casual to fall back on after my daily fisting by Elden Ring, but it just reeks of pretentiousness right out of the gate. Lots of ominous, arthouse language had me skipping through the opening bit just to get to gameplay, and even then, it threw more nonsense at me. I might give it another shot, but I'm in no hurry.
I watched SGF play that for about half an hour and then skipped out on the rest of the playthrough. The writing was definitely off-putting to me as well.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I've finally gotten into Doom Eternal, and so far I'm not too sure how I like it. The way they've changed the formula dips firmly into overcomplication: different weapons, chainsaw, glory kills, blood punch, frost grenades, flamethrower... I'm not even 3 hours in and it already feels overwhelming. Playing on Ultra-Violence (or whatever Hard difficulty is called) I find myself often dying and barely knowing what killed me. The arenas are both big and multilayered, and you barely have time to even take stock of what you're up against. Not that it matters much, because all the enemies move around so quickly that it's easy to lose track of them completely and get into crossfire. The game's extreme stinginess with ammo means that you're basically forced to play it like a resource management game, which can often feel frustrating. It feels like there's very little freedom in how enemies are supposed to be handled: shoot the turret of the arachnotron, sticky bombs for cacodemons, precision shot for Mancubuses and so on. Focusing bigger targets down first doesn't feel viable either, because at any given time there's like 5 more aiming for you, leading to quite a lot of running away in the combat encounters.
I also played a bit of Doom Eternal, since I subbed to gamepass for Persona 5 anyway....

I also find the whole mechanics of having to swap from flamethrower to chainsaw to keep health, armour and ammo levels up to be a bit rote. But what really grinds my gears are the bloody platforming sections, especially all the goddamn climbing. I get that they needed to break up the combat segments with something and help pace things along, but holy shit am I tired of the jumping/climbing puzzles. I like shooters, but I hate puzzle platformers.....

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I also played a bit of Doom Eternal, since I subbed to gamepass for Persona 5 anyway....

I also find the whole mechanics of having to swap from flamethrower to chainsaw to keep health, armour and ammo levels up to be a bit rote. But what really grinds my gears are the bloody platforming sections, especially all the goddamn climbing. I get that they needed to break up the combat segments with something and help pace things along, but holy shit am I tired of the jumping/climbing puzzles. I like shooters, but I hate puzzle platformers.....
There were enough climbing mechanics in 2016 for a DOOM game, and the downtime for searching for extra stuff was done well. If anything involving platforming needed to be expanded it should’ve been limited to something like using more jump pads to launch to different areas. DOOM is all about movement and keeping a rhythm and it doesn’t sound like Eternal fits that.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There were enough climbing mechanics in 2016 for a DOOM game, and the downtime for searching for extra stuff was done well. If anything involving platforming needed to be expanded it should’ve been limited to something like using more jump pads to launch to different areas. DOOM is all about movement and keeping a rhythm and it doesn’t sound like Eternal fits that.
Are... are you kidding? Eternal is much more about rhythm and movement then 2016 was. Its all about getting into the flow of the combat, even the platforming is about rhythm, I think that's why they went from the more realistic level design to the weird arcade stuff for it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Are... are you kidding? Eternal is much more about rhythm and movement then 2016 was. Its all about getting into the flow of the combat, even the platforming is about rhythm, I think that's why they went from the more realistic level design to the weird arcade stuff for it.
Let me be more specific; I guess if you’re spending so much time platforming instead of running and gunning, it doesn’t leave as much room for FPS’ing, which is what DOOM is really about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Doesn't change the fact that platforming is still annoying and I don't like it. It sucks especially early on, and it sucks even more when they put you in that purple sludge that limits your movement. It's the same problem I have with the Gungrave sequels. Let's add platforming to a third person shooter where the characters' jumping sucks really badly. Worse, there are pitfalls in GORE that will instant kill you if you get knocked off or mistime the horribly programmed jumps.

Let me be more specific; I guess if you’re spending so much time platforming instead of running and gunning, it doesn’t leave as much room for FPS’ing, which is what DOOM is really about.
Agreed.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There is some platforming, but not a ton.

Doesn't change the fact that platforming is still annoying and I don't like it.
I didn't say it wasn't.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Have you done Stormveil? That’s pretty much the first real litmus test for whether or not things are clicking with trying & failing, exploring for better gear, coming back & winning.
Welp, I'm almost 30 hours into the game, and have JUST cracked the nut that is Stormveil, i.e.: I finally managed to beat the knight in the room you get trapped in right at the start of Stormveil. And it wasn't legit either; I realized you're only locked in for the first encounter, and the door stays open subsequently. I ran back out of the room, and the knight's AI had him trying to run through the door where it was affixed to the wall, so I hit him repeatedly through the wall from outside the room. In typical FROM "hard, but fair" style, the cheese flowed both ways; I still needed to heal four times because he was able to hit me through the wall as well, and my combat timing sucks a bag of dicks. Anyway, small win, and enough Elden Ring for today.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I noticed. Still doesn't change that it sucks, I lost the motivation to continue playing the game, and moved on something better.
You are welcome to have your wrong opinion.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You are welcome to have your wrong opinion.

There ain't no right or wrong opinion. Either I'm having fun and enjoying it, or I am not. I already know I'm not alone on this. I learned early on if something is not fun and I get no pleasure from it, I'm not going to force myself to "stick with it". There are better uses of my time spent elsewhere. Civit said it best.

Last edited:

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Dwarf Fortress (as noted elsewhere). Ate the cat (he suffered less than the rest of us).

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Between replaying Rift Apart on harder difficulties and it is really allowing the upgrade system to shine and I can't wait to bring those guns to next highter difficulty.

Playing Biomutant and it is rough very very rough but damn it am I not sucker for something with some heart in it. While it is not doing anything great but servicable and bad pacing at times between trying to explore and being routed to the story and also throwing way to much into the soup you can tell these devs put there heart into it and it being free on PSN will probably give people a chance to give it a shot. It is bumpy with a lot of warts but sometimes you can still love an adorable lumpy troll. Or in this case swole boy green raccon otter maybe mouse I made.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Neon White, which is really, really good. Really tight level design and controls. A really nice touch is that getting a Gold time on a level gives you a hint on how to get an Ace time, and Gold times are the time it takes to do a level the "normal" way fast.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077 kind of sporadically (my focus has been kind of blown the last few days), but I have to say, as someone who's been to New York City a couple of times, wandering around Night City feels like a pretty damn close recreation. Rusted-out cars with one busted headlight honking their horns, people hustling to get through crosswalks as the lights change, the ever-present dull roar of talking and traffic- it's a genuine-feeling experience on first blush, only kind of marred when you realize that the vast majority of those businesses and interesting-looking holes-in-the-wall seem to all be locked and purely for show.

There was some young lady in a pink cut-off parka and tiger-print tights kind of bouncing on her heels while she was playing a game on her PDA, but she gradually stopped as I watched, then looked up at me and (I think) asked me what my problem was in Spanish. I just kind of had to laugh and shake my head.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So I've been playing Cyberpunk 2077 kind of sporadically (my focus has been kind of blown the last few days), but I have to say, as someone who's been to New York City a couple of times, wandering around Night City feels like a pretty damn close recreation. Rusted-out cars with one busted headlight honking their horns, people hustling to get through crosswalks as the lights change, the ever-present dull roar of talking and traffic- it's a genuine-feeling experience on first blush, only kind of marred when you realize that the vast majority of those businesses and interesting-looking holes-in-the-wall seem to all be locked and purely for show.

There was some young lady in a pink cut-off parka and tiger-print tights kind of bouncing on her heels while she was playing a game on her PDA, but she gradually stopped as I watched, then looked up at me and (I think) asked me what my problem was in Spanish. I just kind of had to laugh and shake my head.
Say what you want about CP2077, but night city is great. When I played it I made a point to never fast travel just to wander around the city. A shame there wasn't many stuff to discover in it, but still great ambience. I really wished instead of making the DLC a new area they instead made DLC like old rockstar did with ballad of gay Tony and stuff where they'd make a new campaign in the same map (and also update it a bit in the process, still bummed the sky train doesn't work).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic Frontiers again. I am still on the second island, but I went back to the first to find the fishing mini game. People weren't kidding when they said it's a gamebreaker in leveling up Sonic fast. I defeated more of the optional boss fights on Kronos as I didn't get them beforehand. I finally beat that Tank boss fight on the desert island too. I got to do more cyberspace missions for more keys.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
They put out the mass effect legendary edition on ps+ for free so I decided to revisit the series. Only played the first game like a decade ago so I'm restarting it. It has a pretty cool aesthetic and the gunplay is fun, some bits are obviously dated and the areas can feel a bit empty but the char interactions are stellar. My char is a vanguard, this game manages to have pistols that don't suck, and I'm kinda loving it. As for the party members, I remembered liking Tali and I still do, I don't think you can date her (maybe in the next ones you can) but she's awesome either way.

Reactions: Dalisclock