Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Wind Waker continues.

Finally finished the Wind Temple, which only took 2+ hours to finish and....so I like the idea of the Earth and Wind temple, but having to carry a companion around (and I do mean carry, literally) to progress is irritating, and then the aforementioned fact you need to use the damn wind waker, play the control song over and over again, to make them go do stuff to open the way. It is fucking irritating because it slows dungeon progress to a fucking crawl in those two dungeons, which could have been mittigated by having a button that just allows you to switch between the two characters.

But Now it's onto the "find the triforce" quest before I can start the final part of the game, which from what I understand involves running around looking for maps and then paying tingle blood money to read them.

This has been a divisive game for me. There's parts of this game I love(the sailing, some of the dungeons, the art style, etc) and then there's the obnoxious and tedious nature of the Earth and Wind temples which is doing a lot of kill my enjoyment of this game. And it's frustrating that so much of this game is wonderful and fun and breezy and such, but then there's two late game quests which feels like they're designed to be as annoying as fucking possible purely for the sake of making the game longer, each one feeling at least twice as long as they really need to be because of their implementation.

Like fuck Nintendo, you're doing so well here and suddenly I'm just desperately trying to get through here to get back to the fun part. I really hate to gripe about Wind Waker because there's so much in it that I enjoy, but I can't just ignore how much of the last few hours haven't felt enjoyable. Was the game too close to being perfect and you decided to make it intentionally shitty so God wouldn't be mad at you or something?

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Wind Waker continues.

Finally finished the Wind Temple, which only took 2+ hours to finish and....so I like the idea of the Earth and Wind temple, but having to carry a companion around (and I do mean carry, literally) to progress is irritating, and then the aforementioned fact you need to use the damn wind waker, play the control song over and over again, to make them go do stuff to open the way. It is fucking irritating because it slows dungeon progress to a fucking crawl in those two dungeons, which could have been mittigated by having a button that just allows you to switch between the two characters.

But Now it's onto the "find the triforce" quest before I can start the final part of the game, which from what I understand involves running around looking for maps and then paying tingle blood money to read them.

This has been a divisive game for me. There's parts of this game I love(the sailing, some of the dungeons, the art style, etc) and then there's the obnoxious and tedious nature of the Earth and Wind temples which is doing a lot of kill my enjoyment of this game. And it's frustrating that so much of this game is wonderful and fun and breezy and such, but then there's two late game quests which feels like they're designed to be as annoying as fucking possible purely for the sake of making the game longer, each one feeling at least twice as long as they really need to be because of their implementation.

Like fuck Nintendo, you're doing so well here and suddenly I'm just desperately trying to get through here to get back to the fun part. I really hate to gripe about Wind Waker because there's so much in it that I enjoy, but I can't just ignore how much of the last few hours haven't felt enjoyable. Was the game too close to being perfect and you decided to make it intentionally shitty so God wouldn't be mad at you or something?

The most tedious thing I can recall about Wind Waker (and it was literally like two decades ago so it’s pretty hazy) was the searching for loot when sailing. I don’t recall how much of it was required for progression but I do know I did a lot of it, and it wasn’t nearly as fun as something like Mario 64 star hunting.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The most tedious thing I can recall about Wind Waker (and it was literally like two decades ago so it’s pretty hazy) was the searching for loot when sailing. I don’t recall how much of it was required for progression but I do know I did a lot of it, and it wasn’t nearly as fun as something like Mario 64 star hunting.
I think most of the loot is just to pad your wallet(granted, you have to pay off the weirdo to read your maps) but I think the maps do lead to the triforce pieces. I kinda like the "chest fishing" mechanic but I haven't been using the treasure maps at all, I just go for the convenient locations I sail across.

You think that's bad try going for 100% completion of the figurine collection. The process is as follows:
-take photos of 3 characters/monsters
-warp close to the guy who makes the figurines and go to him and give him the photos
-play the song of passing twice so he can complete the figurines
-repeat for all 134 figurines in the game and pray to god you don't screw up the photo on any of the one time enemies that you can never encounter again (I missed 1).

Makes you really appreciate how inferior the wind waker instrument is compared to the ocarina from OoT. You have to slowly play the song at the required tempo, and then listen to the game slowly play it back to you again. All that and you can't even just screw around and play random songs on it, using it as an actual instrument like you could with the ocarina. It's actually weird just how right Nintendo got the ocarina, and how wrong they got every other Zelda instrument since.
Honestly, I haven't even found the damn camera yet. I figured I'd stumble across it sooner or later but somehow never did and at this point it doesn't feel like there's any reason to go look for it. I applaud the idea but if you're trying to 100% that quest it sounds incredibly tedious.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Monster Hunter Rise (now thats its reached Playstation, and Xbox. But they finally have one out on EVERYTHING, in 2023, and no crossplay, why Capcom?)

Its taking a step back into the art-style and more mechanically from the other games, but does keep alot of the streamline from World. Wirebugs are an interesting, if somewhat unevenly applied system (and they clearly ran out of ideas for, as at some point it either becomes jump attack with the thing that couodn't before, or parry with the thign that couldn't before).

I've only just put the first not-actually-final boss down though, lol. (Kind of a spoiler but every loading screen is a painting that clearly shows more monsters.... so)

There's also basically Tower Defense, not really sold on that one, but also haven't done it in MP where maybe it'll shine more. In singleplayer I just put up NPC auto-turrets everywhere and occasionally wirebug up to throw a dragonator switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I think most of the loot is just to pad your wallet(granted, you have to pay off the weirdo to read your maps) but I think the maps do lead to the triforce pieces. I kinda like the "chest fishing" mechanic but I haven't been using the treasure maps at all, I just go for the convenient locations I sail across.

Honestly, I haven't even found the damn camera yet. I figured I'd stumble across it sooner or later but somehow never did and at this point it doesn't feel like there's any reason to go look for it. I applaud the idea but if you're trying to 100% that quest it sounds incredibly tedious.
Really? I thought Tingle gave it to you at the start of the game when you rescue him?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Really? I thought Tingle gave it to you at the start of the game when you rescue him?
He gave me the tingle tuner, which apparently is meant to work with the GBA(and being I'm emulating it's useless).

Apparently in the HD version you get the tingle bottle which works with the mii? The amibo system for the Wii? Which at this point is also offline so similarly useless.

So there's no real reason to like tingle in WW but the game makes you deal with him anyway.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Not quite, you have to search the jail cell behind him, find a crawlspace hidden behind a box, which leads you to a maze where you fall out of the jail and into the ocean if you go the wrong way, but if you go the right way you find the camera.

Source: Started playing Wind Waker myself not long ago. Currently at the second visit to Forsaken Fortress.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Not quite, you have to search the jail cell behind him, find a crawlspace hidden behind a box, which leads you to a maze where you fall out of the jail and into the ocean if you go the wrong way, but if you go the right way you find the camera.

Source: Started playing Wind Waker myself not long ago. Currently at the second visit to Forsaken Fortress.
I found that maze, fell in the ocean and never went back in.

Well, that explains where I missed it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
He gave me the tingle tuner, which apparently is meant to work with the GBA(and being I'm emulating it's useless).
Actually not. I've seen people connect the tingle tuner on Dolphin. It's necessary for some pretty cool glitches. I don't know how it's done though.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
More Zero Time Dilemma. I am not having fun.

Today I had ran out of choices to make that did not involve me either double-crossing the other teams in the first vote or double-crossing them in the subsequent yellow-button-let's-drown-the-other-teams-in-acid-votes. I tried them and I got scenes of despair and scenes of people escaping. Or rather, the leaders of the different teams refused to escape after they chose to kill the other teams.

I then took some already played routes at random and discovered that I had somehow managed to unlock two more segments. Comparing these segments to the overall flowchart at long last gave me an idea of what's going on (and it is entirely possible that I was just slow to pick up on this): there are four major branches after the first vote. One of these involves the yellow button branches aka the "No team is eliminated in the first round"-segments. Looking up and down the three other major branches I saw that on one of them there were only Q- and D-segments; on one of them only D- and C-segments, and on one of them only C- and Q-segments (apart from a tiny D-segment which I know came about via traveling to different timelines).

The four major branches in other words corresponds to which team (if any) that was killed on the first round. Had I paid more attention it is possible this would've been obvious but it's a relief to have a rough outline of what is going on at long last. Please, let the two segments I unlocked give me some answers.

EDIT: double checked. Yes, in the three major branches, there is always one team completely dead.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Actually not. I've seen people connect the tingle tuner on Dolphin. It's necessary for some pretty cool glitches. I don't know how it's done though.
Interesting to know, something to think about if I play it again on emulator.

Though by that point that long rumored switch port might be available. WHENEVER YOU'RE READY, NINTENDO!

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Chasm, started Carrion. You play a fleshy mass of teeth and tentacles (just like your mom) that breaks loose in some underground facility and proceed to rampage across it. You go down surprisingly easy (just like your mom) when you get shot so there's a lot of crawling around air ducts and snagging people with tentacles and eating them (etc). The physics are fun and the animation is smooth as fuck. In practice you just direct the thing with the stick but the result is this mass of tentacles flailing and hoisting the alien biomass with really grotesque precision. It's kinda hypnotic to watch. And the game pulls off the notion that you're the monster in the monster movie really well. Only real nitpick is that it's a little too linear to feel like a proper metroidvania.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Finished Chasm, started Carrion. You play a fleshy mass of teeth and tentacles (just like your mom) that breaks loose in some underground facility and proceed to rampage across it. You go down surprisingly easy (just like your mom) when you get shot so there's a lot of crawling around air ducts and snagging people with tentacles and eating them (etc). The physics are fun and the animation is smooth as fuck. In practice you just direct the thing with the stick but the result is this mass of tentacles flailing and hoisting the alien biomass with really grotesque precision. It's kinda hypnotic to watch. And the game pulls off the notion that you're the monster in the monster movie really well. Only real nitpick is that it's a little too linear to feel like a proper metroidvania.
The fact it might be the best ALIEN game in a long time(without the IP obviously) gives it a lot of it's charm. Also, playing the gross murder alien killing all the marines and science boys.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Bully Scholarship Edition is messed up on Steam. I put it on my Steam Deck? Working well there. And so far, simple and fun. Better than GTA4 which feels like driving a tank.
Seems like I'm the only one who likes how the cars handle in GTA4. It took a bit to get used too but once I did I really liked how heavy they felt since it was like an 80s movie chase, like Blues Brothers.

I grabbed Trouble Shooters since it was on sale. Its like Korean Xcom with more character and more really convoluted game systems. Like the normal game is fine, but there is a masteries system I don't really get and crafting I don't get... although I might not have really unlocked it yet, the game is great at making it sound like you can do something but really just giving you a tutorial message. Plus I can't decide if its hard or not, you face a ton of enemies but mostly they can only barely hurt you, but sometimes they will almost kill you. It's weird, although I might still be in the hand holdy character introduction state so the enemies missing all their attacks would make some sense. Either way its fun and I want to see where it goes.

Reactions: gorfias

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
After a few false starts over the past year or so, finally actually playing the 2018 God of War. Yeah, it's good. Not much more I can add that hasn't already been said about the game, other than that I'm surprised at just how subtle the game is with developing the relationship between Atreus and Kratos.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
After a few false starts over the past year or so, finally actually playing the 2018 God of War. Yeah, it's good. Not much more I can add that hasn't already been said about the game, other than that I'm surprised at just how subtle the game is with developing the relationship between Atreus and Kratos.
"Boy"

Yeah, Toning down Kratos from EXTREME UNYIELDING ANGER to just being tired and try to connect to his son(and not really knowing how to) was one of the best things Dad of Boy did and one of the reasons it stuck with me. Haven't played Ragnarok yet but I hope it carries on that strong point.