What are you currently playing?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
That's an intentional design choice. Capcom actually made it clear they streamlined some mechanics or made them easier to pull off.

Well, I would also say the Wirebug moves are OP AF, lol. Lance parry that gives you a double damage buff or lets you put a "tow line" on the monster you you can leap at it like a dragoon (with lance normally suffering mobility issues). Or my Switchaxe having a permanent charge for sword mode effectively (the other Switchaxe one is a bit less inspiring, basically letting you do the final flip of the wild swing combo without the setup)

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Just completed Chained Echoes last night, and at 100% achievements.

Overall, I found it worth the $30 pledge I made over at Kickstarter many moons ago. Not only did the game re-kindle my love for 16-bit turn-based RPGs, but actually delivered a quality product on KS. The only other game to have impressed me nearly as much as Bloodstained: Ritual of the night. For too long, the games I've backed were mediocre at best, and these guys broke the mold for me. It really went above and beyond.

The gameplay, characters, soundtracks, and everything about this game was superb. The world had so many things to discover. The music and soundtracks was amazing.

But the story. Holy crap, the story. It made me laugh, cry, shout "WTF", and many other emotions that I haven't felt since a game a long time ago. The characters, even the antagonists, were very enjoyable to interact with. Honestly, the last time an RPG has gave me such sense was with FF6, and I thought no other games in the genre can top FF6.

I actually shed a tear when I saw my name featured as one of the backers in the credits. I helped to bring something so amazing to existence.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Overall, I found it worth the $30 pledge I made over at Kickstarter many moons ago. Not only did the game re-kindle my love for 16-bit turn-based RPGs, but actually delivered a quality product on KS. The only other game to have impressed me nearly as much as Bloodstained: Ritual of the night. For too long, the games I've backed were mediocre at best, and you guys broke the mold for me. It really went above and beyond.

The gameplay, characters, soundtracks, and everything about this game was superb. The world had so many things to discover. The music and soundtracks was amazing.

But the story. Holy crap, the story. It made me laugh, cry, shout "WTF", and many other emotions that I haven't felt since a game a long time ago. The characters, even the antagonists, were very enjoyable to interact with. Honestly, the last time an RPG has gave me such sense was with FF6, and I thought no other games in the genre can top FF6.

I actually shed a tear when I saw my name featured as one of the backers in the credits. I helped to bring something so amazing to existence.
Pretty much everything I've heard about CE has been glowing and I'm very much looking forward to checking it out sometime this year. That and "Sea of Stars" in August. CE feels like it's one of those "Came out of nowhere" games like Disco Eylsium or Hi Fi Rush and end up getting a ton of praise., the best kind of surprise.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Overall, I found it worth the $30 pledge I made over at Kickstarter many moons ago. Not only did the game re-kindle my love for 16-bit turn-based RPGs, but actually delivered a quality product on KS. The only other game to have impressed me nearly as much as Bloodstained: Ritual of the night. For too long, the games I've backed were mediocre at best, and these guys broke the mold for me. It really went above and beyond.

How long is it? I find a lot of indie 16 turn based RPG are shockingly short.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
How long is it? I find a lot of indie 16 turn based RPG are shockingly short.
If you ignore all the side contents, probably 25-30 hours? II decide to go for 100% completion, which got me 50 hours. And that's on normal. If it's hard difficulty I'd imagine it's gonna take longer.

Reactions: meiam

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
If you ignore all the side contents, probably 25-30 hours? II decide to go for 100% completion, which got me 50 hours. And that's on normal. If it's hard difficulty I'd imagine it's gonna take longer.
That's about as long as Crono Trigger, maybe a little longer.

Which honestly sounds perfect for this kind of game.

Speaking of which, I got to play a little of the Sea of Stars Demo and while I didn't get very far, some far it's hitting all the right notes. It feels more the CT then Crono Cross ever did and I fucking love it. I'll give a more detailed impression once I finish the demo.

Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Caves of Lore (PC)

Pixel art classic RPG on Steam. It's by a solo dev who has clearly poured a lot of effort in. At core it's good, although it was very rough around the edges to start with. However, he's patched it to remove bugs and add features every goddamn day (if not twice a day) since release. Set in a land afflicted by a curse where everyone is losing their memory. A lot of stuff you can do in the world is unexplained (although gets better as you go through and read books of lore) which some people may hate, but suits the game narrative where everyone has forgotten so much about the world.

Reactions: Dalisclock

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Wild Hearts demo. Whatcha got here is ya Nioh devs doing their version of Monster Hunter, with emergency building mechanics. It's far better tutorialised than MH so far. World has got its own shit going on. Very user friendly and snippy playability. Weirdly has a saturation option just like Monster Hunter Rise - which have not seen in any other games yet - so decided to pump those numbers high cause I can. Except it's too powerful: colours fall into an entrancing singularity of glowing pink when they seemingly run out of stronger versions of the colour as it tries to, umm...saturate further? And while that's a wonderful colour, it gets a tad distracting and detracting (also messes with black), so had to restrain those saturation numbers back to a manageable level. Cutscenes for some reason are limited to 30fps even though they look very much animated in-game, so perhaps (hopefully) is patchable. Looks to be a worthwhile competition in the subgenre at the mo.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just started FF7 remake (like 30 min in) and I'm kinda confused about all the little change they made for seemingly no purpose, instead of the iconic opening you get a weird long bird eyes view of the top plate city but at street level, somewhere you never go to which therefore establish nothing, before then switching to the original opening which also has an establishing shot of the city, but the whole thing so you actually get a sense of the scale. And everything as been stretched out just a bit, like they're taking 10 hours of content and trying to stretch it to 40 hours. They also gave Cloud a starting fire magic instead of bolt. None of that is wrong, but it's just kinda strange decision that don't seem to amount to much.

But gosh darn everything looks so beautiful and that soundtrack could make any game feel like an epic adventurer.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Just started FF7 remake (like 30 min in) and I'm kinda confused about all the little change they made for seemingly no purpose, instead of the iconic opening you get a weird long bird eyes view of the top plate city but at street level, somewhere you never go to which therefore establish nothing, before then switching to the original opening which also has an establishing shot of the city, but the whole thing so you actually get a sense of the scale. And everything as been stretched out just a bit, like they're taking 10 hours of content and trying to stretch it to 40 hours. They also gave Cloud a starting fire magic instead of bolt. None of that is wrong, but it's just kinda strange decision that don't seem to amount to much.

But gosh darn everything looks so beautiful and that soundtrack could make any game feel like an epic adventurer.
"like they're taking 10 hours of content and trying to stretch it to 40 hours."

Well yeah, that about covers it. Wait til you get to the **** atmosphere, daytime sidequest padding section or the combat challenge simulator fights.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Played some more FF7R. Gameplay is really good, where the heck was whoever in charges of it when they were making FF15?! But game is ridiculously easy so every fight finish just when I was starting to get in the groove, there's a mechanic to stagger enemy but everything is dead before I can stagger them, I think I remember something about a hard mode but I guess you have to unlock it? The game has a weapon leveling system which is really pointless, it's like that terrible FF13 leveling system, it act like its a complex system, but there's essentially no choice to make since the game gate most of the stuff you should be able to unlock. You need to use weapon special attack to learn them, which is a nice touch, but you learn them so fast it barely register, having tough requirement to learn them would be far more interesting. Oh and the padding is crazy, you constantly have to go back to the same location for side quest, I can't even recall if there's a single dungeon you visit more than once in the original.

Midgard is really nice, been a long time since a game impressed me with graphic and environment art, but this is amazing. Town really feel alive since there's people everywhere, all having little conversation and being able to look up and see the top plate really make Midgard feel like a fantastical location.

But the game is really overwritten, everything get hammered on and on in multiple cutscene. And it's not like they're developing the character more than the original, there's just more scenes of them doing the same things everytime. Barret gets it really bad here, I get it, he's really into saving the planet and hate Shinra, I don't need another scene of that, let alone 5 in 30 min. The waifu aspect is also cranked to 11 for no reason, there's constant moment of Cloud and Tifa together where the camera just ogle her or in first person like she's totally hitting on you the player man! Jesse also starts flirting with Cloud right away even when he's just an asshole to everyone in avalanche (who all really like him for no reason), in the original she only hits on him after he saves her life (oh and now it's a cutscene, rather than the much nicer player action in the original).

But the worse gotta be Sephiroth, he was never that good an antagonist but the game build him up masterfully by never showing him, before you even knew what he looked like, you knew he was some badass psycho from the way he trashed Shinra tower. The remake does the exact opposite, you constantly see him in cutscene that add nothing except make him feel mundane and petty. He was far more interesting as the guy who could barely recognize who Cloud was rather than the jealous ex boyfriend who keep stalking him.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But game is ridiculously easy
Play on the harder difficulties. Then you'll get your challenge. The game does get more difficult as you get further into the game, but you'll get your challenge soon, in almost begging to drop down on the easier difficulty with some of the boss fights.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Play on the harder difficulties. Then you'll get your challenge. The game does get more difficult as you get further into the game, but you'll get your challenge soon, in almost begging to drop down on the easier difficulty with some of the boss fights.
Dunno if its different on PC version, but there's only easy and normal in the menu.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
For reasons known only to God and David Attenborough, I chose to get the Special Edition of Skyrim on sale because I didn't feel like reinstalling the original on my new system. It does run smoother and load faster, it's got improved lighting and weather effects, and it apparently came with all the DLC, but it also hoses a whole load of mods that weren't specifically ported to or created for it. It also has a decidedly half-assed "survival mode" that attempts to replicate some of the hunger/temperature mods out there.

It also comes with a free upgrade to the "Anniversary Edition", which provides a selection of mods that one can already get for free, and breaks the game for many other mods.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Been playing Eiyuden Chronicles: Rising. Its really good, the characters are a lot of fun, the writing is way better then I expected, the graphics are quite nice, even though I'm not a fan of the puppet pixel animation, it does have a charm in this game. Its kinda metroidvania but not what I expect when I hear that. It does have a lot of back tracking for side quests and even main quest but its pretty quick to get around with some really good fast travel so I don't mind it at all.

Also grabbed Angel's Gear. Its another 2d exploration type game, kinda closer to a metroidvania, I get the feeling its not very long, but it is a game by ScumHead and their games tend not to be that long, also having a very distinct art style. So far its really neat, good gameplay, interesting characters, enemies seem to just stay dead which is unexpected and makes me wonder if that plays a roll in the story. I'm still early on in it, but its pretty damn neat.

Also playing Trouble Shooters. I think I mentioned it before, if not, its Korean XCom with a convoluded crafting/mastery/skill system. But its got a damn charming presentation, with good characters, even the badguys get characterization and you even play sometimes from their points of view. The fights can get tedious since you are always greatly outnumbered which can make enemy turns take forever and most of their attacks are blocked or dodged, but it certainly gets harder then it starts and it doesn't feel as hopeless as a game like xcom can, if the timer starts running out. You don't lose characters, they just need a sandwich to feel better. Yeah, recommended.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I just played the Ruby's Rebalanced mod for Halo Combat Evolved, following the game adding Steam Workshop support, which makes playing mods so much easier on the Steam Deck.

Anyway, I posted a while ago about playing another Halo CE mod, called Combat Revolved, but this very much feels like an improvement over that one.

Now, the name of this mode is a bit misleading. It is more than just a rebalancing mod. Sure, it does rebalance a lot of the existing weapons, vehicles, and enemies, but it also adds a lot of new content, too. The Flamethrower and the Fuel Rod Cannon from CE's multiplayer mode get added, and you can now use the Energy Sword and Sentinel Beam, which were first introduced in Halo 2. Wraith tanks are also now pilotable, and the Rocket Hog and the cut Spectre from one of Halo's announcement trailer has also been added.

One of the bigger improvements comes from the level design, though I mean this from a more artistic sense. The latter half of the CE campaign reuses a lot of environments from the first half of the game. Level 8 backtracks through Level 5, Level 9 backtracks through Level 3, and Level 9 backtracks through Level 1. In the original game, these levels are largely unchanged from their earlier counterparts, aside from maybe a bit for fire and debris. This mod turns everything up to 11, and completely remakes the tone of a lot of these levels, accounting for the presence of the Flood. Biomass, fire, smoke, flood spores, bloodstains , destroyed vehicles. You can really tell where past battles were fought, and where the Flood are now in control. My favourite new room was one in Two Betrayals, where all of the lights were switched off, all of the enemies were infected Humans, and the central room was just full of blood, and empty weapons - even once you kill all of the enemies in the room, you can still hear the flood gurgling, like they are watching you.

The Flood themselves have also been changed. They are now much more vulnerable to a larger portion of the sandbox, and new variants have been added, like shielded Elite forms, and ODST forms which drop ammo. And from a visual perspective, things are much improved, too: the original "naked" flood models are still in the game, but there are now armoured Elite variants (with different armour colours depending on their rank), armoured marine variants, ODST variants, and even crew members in their coloured jumpsuits make an appearance. The only real downside from the Combat Revolved mod is that Grunt and Jackal flood forms dont return here. Ultimately, whilst the combat versus the Flood isn't massively different, it definitely feels more refined.

I feel like this is the best way to play Halo CE.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Also playing Trouble Shooters. I think I mentioned it before, if not, its Korean XCom with a convoluded crafting/mastery/skill system. But its got a damn charming presentation, with good characters, even the badguys get characterization and you even play sometimes from their points of view. The fights can get tedious since you are always greatly outnumbered which can make enemy turns take forever and most of their attacks are blocked or dodged, but it certainly gets harder then it starts and it doesn't feel as hopeless as a game like xcom can, if the timer starts running out. You don't lose characters, they just need a sandwich to feel better. Yeah, recommended.
It's good, but It's really long and fight get ridiculously tedious since you eventually get a bunch of character so the enemy will have even more to compensate, fight drags on for well over an hours. The character skill system is really nice, with hundreads of skill to choose from.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I don't know what I wanna play next. Y'all decide for me.

Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)

or

Live A Live (Switch)

Whichever gets three votes first wins

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't know what I wanna play next. Y'all decide for me.

Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)

or

Live A Live (Switch)

Whichever gets three votes first wins
I wouldn't make anyone play dark cloud unless they really really like grinding (nice game otherwise, but only crap the grind and repetition!). Live a live is great, can probably go trough it in about 10 hours.