What are you currently playing?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I took the plunge on it since it was $30 USD, Death Stranding. I've done about two or three missions on chapter 2 currently and so far, I'm rather enjoying it. It's a walking simulator where the actual challenge is walking. I am aware I've most likely not encountered half the gameplay features at this time, but so far, it's enjoyable. The addition of tunes was genius.

As for the story... well. It sums up why I don't like Kojima games. It vomits so much terminology, names, and whatnot at you in minutes, it becomes impossible to keep track of it all. Then you have to shift through the important and unimportant ones, but good luck knowing that at the time. One thing I can't stand is exposition vomiting, Kojima seems bad at not doing this.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Still warframe for me.

The latest update/event brought a lot of frustrating bugs, but they got them worked out fairly fast.

Also, Slime Rancher and Iconoclasts. loved them both, Slime rancher was fun, chill, relaxing stuff.

Iconoclasts is on my mind a lot. The story is really great, music is great, characters are great.

Several of them are stuck in my head in a good way, and the fate of one in particular is in my thoughts a lot.

Reactions: Worgen

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
As someone who just did his first proper playthrough of Halo (never owned an Xbox and had a shit PC) I had a ton of fun (except the Library, that level sucks) playing through it on heroic. I'm also having a blast playing multiplayer with friends.
Its good fun, but as you play the remainder of the series (assuming you got the pack) you'll see a pile of QoL improvements that make it a little painful to return to. Even the level design is a bit of a pisser at times since the areas often look really similar making it easy to accidentally backtrack. That is improved on legendary though, as there are enough enemies that you can feel your way forward by just finding new people to kill.

Reactions: gorfias

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I found out that the Steam version of Okami has the Japanese language option, so I've been playing that.

Fun fact: A whole lot of place and character names were shortened in the English version. Either to fit text box size limits, or because the translators think the English-speaking audience is too dumb to remember long foreign names, I'm not sure.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Currently, Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I gave New Leaf a try back in 2013 and played it for a bit but ended up losing interest. I've stuck with New Horizons more so far (every day since launch day), though I am running out of things to do each day.

Before that, Sniper Elite III (it takes me a while to get to things), and after Animal Crossing I'll likely go back and finish the DLC missions for SEIII.

After that, I'll finally dig into Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Heard good things about it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I was playing Nethack, but no longer! I am too disgusted with myself to play the game any longer!

I had decided that I was going to try and do a fast ascension, in under 20 000 turns or so. I had played around 3 games when I stumbled upon a wand of wishing on turn 600!!! I immediately stopped playing and spent several hours deciding what I would wish for and how to progress. I was going to wish for scrolls of charging, silver dragon scale mail, speed boots, ring of polymorph control, wand of polymorph, amulet of unchanging, and The Master Key of Thievery. I spent a bit testing around in wizard mode and figured that I could go to mine town, kill all the shopkeepers, get some divine protection, sacrifice to get some luck and Magicbane, then write a cursed scroll of teleport and pop down to the castle to get another wand of wishing. A weird thing happened in my testing where I had a negative alignment record and changed to lawful when I sacrificed the priest, but I never figured out why that happened and thought it must have been because of my screwing around with changing back and forth between mind flayer and elf.

Now, I'm kicking myself! Why didn't I investigate this further?! The fatal flaw in my plan was that killing peaceful shopkeepers gives you negative alignment and that's why my alignment changed. So when I did it for real again my alignment changed, and then I wasted the whole run because I tried to use my wand of create monster when blind to make monsters to sacrifice, attacked a blue jelly, and froze to death in one turn because of the mind flayer's 5 melee attacks. I had everything I needed too! I started with a magic marker, found a luck stone, found a bag of holding and both holy and unholy water in a shop! It was pure greed that killed me! I probably didn't even need the divine protection or Magicbane! I could have gone to castle and gotten the wand as I was!

I'll never get a chance like this for hundreds of games!!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
RE3Remake again. I also played some SamSho (2019) earlier today. Bought a fightpad, so my fighting games are going to get even more use now.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Still warframe for me.

The latest update/event brought a lot of frustrating bugs, but they got them worked out fairly fast.

Also, Slime Rancher and Iconoclasts. loved them both, Slime rancher was fun, chill, relaxing stuff.

Iconoclasts is on my mind a lot. The story is really great, music is great, characters are great.

Several of them are stuck in my head in a good way, and the fate of one in particular is in my thoughts a lot.
Good choices. I loved Iconoclasts, such a great game, also can't argue with Warframe. How is Slime Rancher? I tried the demo but wasn't sure about it, although whenever I see it on sale I'm always tempted.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Back to Dead Cells, almost nonstop since quarantine boredom is really starting to set in. My job has started into the extreme stress portion of "oh god clients are running out of money, but everybody still wants work done", so a little bit of zero stakes cycling is really a relief.

Tried Close to the Sun, but I wasn't feeling it at all. Wants to be a spiritual part of the Shock series, but without the stakes of having to defend yourself it just turns into a sightseeing tour that lacks impact. They kept trying to spook me with crazy people popping up but my immediate thought was "I don't have a weapon, and I move like I'm walking through molasses with heels on, so they aren't going to come at me".

Tried WWZ, not into it. Slower version of L4D, and I didn't even keep on that one for long.

Currently replaying Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction. Online. Because I'm a badass. Like 50 people still play online, and they're all like level 99, so its kind of funny seeing my character on the bottom at level 22, but its taking me back. I forgot how much I loved the Act 1 music. And how much I hated all of Act 2, and how much I barely remember Act 3 except the extremely specific route for Meph runs.

Did I mention I'm bored?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Still warframe for me.

Yea, I'm on the console version, so we get the (somewhat) fixed version. Although my objective UI just stops updating shortly into any Murex assault.

I definitely am not a fan of the solo gigging Scarlet Spear though. While I can push through full runs, its annoying. And most of the LFGer squads take forever trying to assemble some perfect squad (that is mostly unnneeded, I'm literally been soloing the fourth Murex with Umbra)

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
I was just playing some Mercenaries on an emulator, trying out new things with save states. During the Omerta contract where you need to assassinate a bunch of targets, I decided to do them in different orders and was surprised to see (well, not that surprised considering how great the game is) that there is different dialogue and events depending on who, and how quickly, you assassinate first.

15 years and I'm still discovering new things about this game.

Last edited:

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh, all this time I been playing Wreckfest on easy drive settings and wondering why it felt kinda dull and simplistic. Much better experience switching it up a notch or two, a bit more weightiness to it all now. Curse the factory settings! Long live vehicular destruction! Could do with a tiny change to presentation in the way they show health though, as it often appears an indecipherable mess during busy destruction derby moments. I want to effectively prey on the weak please, like the courageous hero I am.

Last edited:

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Climbing, stealthing, looting, puzzling and driving my way through Uncharted 4.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
That was kind of my main leeryness of it. By the time I dedicate effort to doing anything, I might as well just be doing it in Unity or whatever
That is a thought I also partly share.

I find myself often debating between putting time into learning Dreams versus any other conventional engine, but in the end I realise that most of the things I want to make aren't things I'd plan on selling, but are just things I want to make for personal entertainment and Dreams' "smaller" scope is sufficient enough to reach my personal goals. Also, Dream's ability to easily drag and drop stuff and share stuff is interesting, it makes for some nice community interaction as well.

(also with the upcoming gen switch how well its gonna move forwards).
I suspect they'll handle the generational switch quite gracefully, actually.

There will no doubt be a PS5 version of Dreams, but I fully expect all PS4 creations to be forward compatible with the PS5 version, same as LBP and LBP2 levels were forward compatible with LBP3.

I'm not sure how much good content is on it in terms of actually playing it as a game either.
Although a fear of mine before getting into Dreams was there only being a lot of proof of concept or simple playable demos, and I advise people against trying to sell the game on it ( "Look, you can create Fallout!" ), I find those to be some of the most interesting creations from a creator's perspective.

A lot of things may not be impressive in a general game developing sense ( "Look, an small platform where you collect diamonds! Such innovation!" ), but they are impressive in a "this was made with these particular tools" sense. I find it fun to see what is possible with the tools and then try and deduce how those things are done, at times it's a great unintended puzzle game.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Good choices. I loved Iconoclasts, such a great game, also can't argue with Warframe. How is Slime Rancher? I tried the demo but wasn't sure about it, although whenever I see it on sale I'm always tempted.
It's very addictive, it can be very easy to get yourself into a 'I'll just do X, then stop, wait now I've done that I'll just do Y and stop, wait..' cycle. The music and art have a lot of charm. Thought the base setting is very chill, though one moment of carelessness can cost you dearly unless your playing on the easiest setting.

Yea, I'm on the console version, so we get the (somewhat) fixed version. Although my objective UI just stops updating shortly into any Murex assault.

I definitely am not a fan of the solo gigging Scarlet Spear though. While I can push through full runs, its annoying. And most of the LFGer squads take forever trying to assemble some perfect squad (that is mostly unnneeded, I'm literally been soloing the fourth Murex with Umbra)
Yeah, broadly all you need is a Limbo And a Nova to breeze it, which would make squad assembly fairly easy, but a lot of people insist on a Meta squad that shaves a few seconds off the time so they can be done that little bit faster. It gets a bit draining sometimes.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's very addictive, it can be very easy to get yourself into a 'I'll just do X, then stop, wait now I've done that I'll just do Y and stop, wait..' cycle. The music and art have a lot of charm. Thought the base setting is very chill, though one moment of carelessness can cost you dearly unless your playing on the easiest setting.
Are there like quests or an overall objective? Or is it just kinda roaming around and finding more and more?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Are there like quests or an overall objective? Or is it just kinda roaming around and finding more and more?
There's sort of a story, in that you follow the notes left by the previous rancher on your land to unlock and explore new areas, paralleled by occasional messages from your Ex back on earth, which between them lead to an 'ending' cutscene, but the game continues on as normal after its over.

As you unlock new areas and complete trades with other ranchers, you unlock a few side games that offer upgrades and extra areas for performing them, as well as fleshing them out more as characters.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I finally got my copy of Persona 5R in the mail yesterday so I'm 8 hours into that (first dungeon done). It was a 66-hour game last time around so with the additional content I'm thinking it'll be 75-80. So I'm ~10% through.
75:13 so it was a good estimate on my end.

Next up is finishing my replay of Valkyria Chronicles and then onto something else. Maybe Nier: Automata.

Reactions: gorfias