What are you currently playing?

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Super Metroid

Yeah, it's a classic for a reason, though much tougher than I expected it to be. I don't like the fact that you must shoot at a random point of a wall to reveal an important upgrade without which you can't progress further. Still, most of them were hidden at the end of elaborate puzzle rooms, and finally grasping them was elating haha. It's just a shame that not all of the upgrades reside at such locations. The bosses are simply superb, though, at least so far.

I won't know whether it can top Symphony before I beat it, but it's definitely up there!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
RE4 Chainsaw demo

Ran smoothly on PC, like the RE8 demo. I like the feedback from gunshots; especially the shotty which blasts clusters of these fools to shit. The movement feels both fluid and pretty snappy too. Looks to be another worthy, albeit formulaic remake from Capcom. Hoping their next main game goes more off the beaten path.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Super Metroid

Yeah, it's a classic for a reason, though much tougher than I expected it to be. I don't like the fact that you must shoot at a random point of a wall to reveal an important upgrade without which you can't progress further. Still, most of them were hidden at the end of elaborate puzzle rooms, and finally grasping them was elating haha. It's just a shame that not all of the upgrades reside at such locations. The bosses are simply superb, though, at least so far.

I won't know whether it can top Symphony before I beat it, but it's definitely up there!
Personally I liked Super Metroid much more than Symphony of the Night when I played it, even though it took me way longer than it should have to figure out how to super jump.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Super Metroid

There's a tool you'll find eventually that'll let you scan room so you don't have to shoot at random wall. But yeah, the game has well earned its status as a classic and gender defining game.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Ok, why is everybody playing The Stick of Truth all of a sudden? It's been out for 9 years at this point but you're the third person here to play it in the last month.
Been hesitating to play it for a long while, and seeing it described and discussed here finally decided me to.

See, I wanted to be an anticonformist too.

goth-sp.png

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So I am currently out of town, and only brought a casual laptop with me. I realized I had some games I can run. One of them being Castlevania Aria of Sorrow in the Castlevania Advanced Collection.

And holy hell, does this game holds up well. Collecting souls is really fun. Exploring castle is exciting, although the clock tower was painful as hell. The new game plus with extra area and weapons is a bonus. My only complaint is that how I had to keep switching between Skula and Undine souls whenever I was near water. Normal mode was bit on a easy side, so I'm going with hard mode for the new game plus.

Julius mode is okay, but all the story content is removed, and since he can't equip souls or various weapons, it's boring

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So I am currently out of town, and only brought a casual laptop with me. I realized I had some games I can run. One of them being Castlevania Aria of Sorrow in the Castlevania Advanced Collection.

And holy hell, does this game holds up well. Collecting souls is really fun. Exploring castle is exciting, although the clock tower was painful as hell. The new game plus with extra area and weapons is a bonus. My only complaint is that how I had to keep switching between Skula and Undine souls whenever I was near water. Normal mode was bit on a easy side, so I'm going with hard mode for the new game plus.

Julius mode is okay, but all the story content is removed, and since he can't equip souls or various weapons, it's boring
I still remember farming a rock guy for like an hour to get his soul. No idea if it was really that long but it felt like it.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I still remember farming a rock guy for like an hour to get his soul. No idea if it was really that long but it felt like it.
The most painful one to get was sky fish. Because for one thing I had to farm the chronomage soul for a good while. Then I had to painfully make my way to where sky fish was, then time the chronomage ability correctly to even hit the sky fish. All that for a soul that I don't honestly use that much.

Reactions: Worgen

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
That awakened some deep memory, I wanna say it was a yellow soul. I don't think it was very useful, maybe like 20% vit bonus or something, but you gotta collect them all.

Reactions: Worgen

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Ace Combat. That's a hit Mage 2. Well done Mage 2. You're the best Mage 2. You know who Mage 2 is, right? It's me!

Final Fantasy 12. Instantly hated the combat and not planning to give it another go. WIll try 9 as it's the only earlier FF I haven't played much (I started but everyone had tails?)

Spider-man.
This guy is extremely pro-cop and fell into a subway station when trying to get to Times Square. Two strikes motherhubbard!

Side note: Games telling me they've finished downloading, but then not actually downloading the majority of the game until I first launch it can get 100% to fuck.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Ace Combat. That's a hit Mage 2. Well done Mage 2. You're the best Mage 2. You know who Mage 2 is, right? It's me!
I really hated how Ace Combat 7 would just toot your horn from start to finish, even before you've proven yourself.

Later on in mass air battles against impossible odds. "Oh, we'll just get in his way." Meanwhile me screaming at the incessant blaring missile lock on alarms from having to dogfight 10 things at once.

You had to earn your notoriety in 4/5/0.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy. This is a frustration simulator, that's the point, but I still like it. I feel like games have been going too easy on me recently and I need to suffer for a while. There's just something I find so satisfying when a game demands I channel all my focus or suffer extreme penalties. There was a dark time for 3 or 4 hours where I was climbing up the slide area to the rocks and falling off, and failing on the staircase forever until I managed to bungle it so bad I fell back to the start of the game 2 or 3 times, I hated the game at that point. But, I think (hope) I'm at the final challenge now, I've been trying for a while to make it up the antenna, but I'm going to bed. I haven't yet fallen down the slippery mountain and needed to do the bucket jump again, so guaranteed that happens tomorrow. I don't know where the snake leads, I'm guessing back to the start of the game, but I'm not testing it no matter what.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
See, that's what happens when you don't have party diversity. You need warriors, clerics, rogues, archers...

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I don't know where the snake leads, I'm guessing back to the start of the game, but I'm not testing it no matter what.
You would be correct.

OT: So instead of getting back on Hi-Fi Rush like I said I would, I bought Ultrakill. Haven't played enough of it yet to make a solid statement about it, but I've wanted an FPS version of Devil May Cry pretty much ever since I played Devil May Cry for the first time, and Ultrakill advertises itself as that, so.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I actually like how Noriko's and Masako's ended especially. The one with Jin's sensei, Ishikawa, has the weakest ending in terms of side quests.
Yeah the ending with Ishikawa was hilariously out of place in the story. For Masako, I felt like the action the final mission provided was a let down. You race through this whole compound, and face like... 6 enemies? For Noriko, well it was fine. The twist was quite horrifying but was also telegraphed super early on. The finale being a mission where you do literally nothing was also pretty disappointing.

I will say for combat, all stances should be unlocked from the start with the sequel. They can't do that shit again like they did here. The terror system is only broken when fighting weak enemies. It takes them longer to get terrified if you're further into the game, or take down a lot of elite mooks or a mini boss.
I had the opposite experience, for some reason it was the brute enemies that would constantly get terrified. Wonder if that was a bug.

Parrying worked fine, but dodging could be iffy at times. What doesn't help matters is GoT does that thing GoW4&R where the enemies slide way further than they should to catch up to you. Seems like they didn't patch their part at all. I do know that playing the PS5 version smooths out dodging and makes both mechanics easier to pull off.
My problem with parrying and dodging is perfect parrying and dodging. I don't like how the perfect parry/dodge window happens right after the enemy winds up, and not actually when attack reaches you. Also not the biggest fan of how ridiculously OP it is. What ended up happening for me was I got frustrated about not being able to consistently perfect parry, so I would wait for every enemy to attack me first so I could practice. This worked out at first, and I was able to master parrying. Then when I did master it, combat essentially devolved into enemies lining up one by one to take shots at me while while I cut them down effortlessly. You basically ignore all the stances (I mean, that was already the case, since the water stance is the only one you need).

This is what I mean by more intense yet more forgiving. Enemies rarely are in a rush to beat the shit out of you, they all follow the Assassin's Creed school of attacking one by one. If it were more like God of War where parrying and dodging are useful, but not insta kill, plus enemies that are more proactive, then I think overall combat would be more satisfying.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
had the opposite experience, for some reason it was the brute enemies that would constantly get terrified. Wonder if that was a bug.
Must be a bug. Brutes can get terrified, but not that often. Unless you have been spamming the Ghost Mode, and it makes everyone terrified or cower and fear. It even works on bosses for brief period. I've also had a bug where a headless corpse would crawl around for a few minutes as is it still alive. Usually stabbing it would end it.

My problem with parrying and dodging is perfect parrying and dodging. I don't like how the perfect parry/dodge window happens right after the enemy winds up, and not actually when attack reaches you. Also not the biggest fan of how ridiculously OP it is. What ended up happening for me was I got frustrated about not being able to consistently perfect parry, so I would wait for every enemy to attack me first so I could practice. This worked out at first, and I was able to master parrying. Then when I did master it, combat essentially devolved into enemies lining up one by one to take shots at me while while I cut them down effortlessly. You basically ignore all the stances (I mean, that was already the case, since the water stance is the only one you need).

This is what I mean by more intense yet more forgiving. Enemies rarely are in a rush to beat the shit out of you, they all follow the Assassin's Creed school of attacking one by one. If it were more like God of War where parrying and dodging are useful, but not insta kill, plus enemies that are more proactive, then I think overall combat would be more satisfying.
I was usually able to perfect parry about 95% of the time. Not that it was always easy. There are a few optional mandatory bosses, that require precise timing. I did notice a whole attack one at a time angle, but it didn't bother me too much. Next game they shouldn't have that though.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
almost had a panic attack in the new character skill distribution menu when a skill number was lowered get back the accidentally used skill point to use on more appropriate skill elsewhere, but as I did, a load of red markers popped up on all sides of every skill with various plus/minus numbers, and other numbers with plus/minuses changed, yet when I tried putting that exact skill point back where it was, it didn't make anything to back to normal and I've no bloody idea what was going on after that! Feebly attempted to guess how to spend the last few points, cause starting character creation again didn't sound fun. The numbers saw my weakness and group bullied me into submission. Never felt so relieved to get out of an RPG player character menu and into the game before.

Otherwise plays gd, the most user friendly controls and options I've seen for this type of genre. Found this available all of a sudden as part of some sort of PS subscription, and always wanted to try after hearing much positivity about it, including that it's supposed to be the closest to a D&D experience - an experience this shunned vagabond childhood had no known access to.

So that were first impression last night going in pretty much blind.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
almost had a panic attack in the new character skill distribution menu when a skill number was lowered get back the accidentally used skill point to use on more appropriate skill elsewhere, but as I did, a load of red markers popped up on all sides of every skill with various plus/minus numbers, and other numbers with plus/minuses changed, yet when I tried putting that exact skill point back where it was, it didn't make anything to back to normal and I've no bloody idea what was going on after that! Feebly attempted to guess how to spend the last few points, cause starting character creation again didn't sound fun. The numbers saw my weakness and group bullied me into submission. Never felt so relieved to get out of an RPG player character menu and into the game before.

Otherwise plays gd, the most user friendly controls and options I've seen for this type of genre. Found this available all of a sudden as part of some sort of PS subscription, and always wanted to try after hearing much positivity about it, including that it's supposed to be the closest to a D&D experience - an experience this shunned vagabond childhood had no known access to.

So that were first impression last night going in pretty much blind.
I've started downloading this on the PS subscription too (who knows if it's actually downloaded?) and am keen to give it a whirl. I've looked at it on Steam so many times but have never pulled the trigger on it.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I Got Over It with Bennett Foddy. My playtime was around 15 hours. Like I promised yesterday I did fall down the slippery slope today, and to make it better after making it up the bucket a couple of times and falling off again I screwed up so badly I actually fell down next to the snake and landed halfway down the mountain and had to do my favorite part with the slides and the staircases again for the 200th time. I'll admit it, after that I looked up where the save file was kept (the registry) and made backups after every section because after doing the entire climb again I wasn't going to do it a third time.

It's definitely a unique game. I've never played one that controlled like it and it wasn't bad really, just frustrating. It was kind of fun carefully maneuvering yourself around with only a hammer and then using it to jump, but some of the jumps after the temple were just a little too tight, and I only managed to get enough height 1/20 times. It wasn't so bad because there was no penalty for failure on those ones, but it was just annoying every time I'd fall down from higher up and need to do them again because I just could not succeed with any sort of consistency.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I really hated how Ace Combat 7 would just toot your horn from start to finish, even before you've proven yourself.

Later on in mass air battles against impossible odds. "Oh, we'll just get in his way." Meanwhile me screaming at the incessant blaring missile lock on alarms from having to dogfight 10 things at once.

You had to earn your notoriety in 4/5/0.
Though ironically it does fit with the fact none of your teamates can do Jack Shit without you. In the other AC games you can assume they'll destory some enemies(and Pixy will flat out kill steal from you, the jerk) but the other planes in AC7 are basically there to provide the illusion you're not doing this alone even if the illusion breaks the moment you pay any attention to your wingmen for any period of time.

Or to put it another way, everyone thought Trigger killed Harling based on the fact Trigger is the only one who can shoot anything down on your side(at least in my headcanon).