What are you currently playing?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I liked 'Deedlit in wonder labryinth' but not enough to beat it. I feel like its team ladybugs weakest game. Maybe if I remembered something about 'Record of the Lodoss War' I would have felt more need to beat it, but I don't. Play 'Touhou Luna Nights' instead, if you want a metroidvania style or Drainus if you want a shootemup.
I bought Touhou earlier this year, I'm looking forward to it. Only a couple of hours into Deedlit and I can tell already it's not gonna be amazing or very memorable but eh it's good enough. It's like a good enough tribute game to Castlevania and feels very cozy as such.

To be honest I'm still coming off my Tunic/Prince of Persia high and want to pace myself with smaller B+ games.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I bought Touhou earlier this year, I'm looking forward to it. Only a couple of hours into Deedlit and I can tell already it's not gonna be amazing or very memorable but eh it's good enough. It's like a good enough tribute game to Castlevania and feels very cozy as such.

To be honest I'm still coming off my Tunic/Prince of Persia high and want to pace myself with smaller B+ games.
The best thing about Deedlit is the graphics, Team Ladybug do really really nice pixel work, but otherwise I found it rather forgettable.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished Final Fight 3/Tough. While better than FFi2, the game still feels underwhelming in certain ways. You still can only fight three enemies on screen at once, aside from the elevator section in the last stage, where it's all the same guy anyway. I appreciate the added mechanics, back dashing, multiple paths, environmental destruction, and super moves, but I hate the fact that for all of the male character, their supers have to be activated when you grab. With Lucia, this is not the case. Haggar's should have been the only super that activates when grabbing.

FFi3 is better than most of the SNES exclusive brawlers, but can't hold a candle to Ninja Warriors [Again] (1994), Streets of Rage 2 & 3/Bare Knuckle III, or Turtles in Time. I will give the game credit for having a faster pacing compared to all the SNES brawlers that tend to drag levels out. This is a god send especially to games like Final Fight 2 or Sonic Blastman I. I know people like to re-evaluate games, but I can see why critics were lukewarm about this game back in the day. So many brawlers already innovated and went beyond Final Fight.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Grabbed Dread Templar since it was on sale and I am apparently a game nomad at the moment. Its better then I expected. I played an early demo of it awhile ago and it was pretty meh, but the release at this point is pretty good, gun play feels decent, enemies are good, music and sounds are fine, levels are quite good with some cool secrets. I do wish enemies did more then ragdoll on death since that is one of my pet peeves, especially with retro style games.

Still working on Anomaly Collapse also, the new characters I've unlocked are fun and the progression with new character abilities and passives you get are nice. Still haven't had a successful run though, mainly cause I have kept trying to do fights that I should avoid since I know they are really strong cause they have killed me before. But gonna keep at it, its a fun game to just do a run through every now and then and its got a really cool take on turn based combat that other games could learn from.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Finished a quest in Runescape just now that everyone I know (and a lot of people I don't) told me was easy. Well, it's probably easy if you have much higher levels and better gear than mine, because for me it was an exhausting slog. You can refight the quest bosses for some fun loot, apparently, but I really don't want to do it, at least not without a way better setup first.

Also got through Doom Hunter Base in Doom Eternal, that was pretty fun. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of it; even on Ultra-Violence difficulty I died a lot less on that level than Cultist Base just before it. The Doom Hunter boss fight was also very enjoyable, which is interesting because most FPS bosses aren't very good, and Doom 4 suffered from that a lot.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Eiyuuden early access has finally begun! Major hype. It took em nearly 4 years but finally the spiritual successor to suikoden is out.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Eiyuuden early access has finally begun! Major hype. It took em nearly 4 years but finally the spiritual successor to suikoden is out.
My body is ready for the release.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Final Fight One: Arcade Edition - A GBA rom hack where the colors are restored to look more like arcade version, the proper music is placed back into stage 4, the second bonus stage is in the correct order now coming after stage 4, and putting back in Poison and Roxy, thus playing closer to the Japanese version, but having the American version's Very Hard, instead of the Japanese Super Hard. There goes another reason for me not pop in my GBA cart of this game ever again. The hacked version is the best version of it now, and I can play it on my Miyoo Mini.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I started playing Higurashi: when they cry. It starts off as a boilerplate anime slice-of-life story, which I found uninteresting, but something just happened that I suspect the overarching plot will be about which sounds promising.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I started playing Higurashi: when they cry. It starts off as a boilerplate anime slice-of-life story, which I found uninteresting, but something just happened that I suspect the overarching plot will be about which sounds promising.
Wait, you haven't seen the anime and your playing the game...? Uhh, don't look anything up, just keep going.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I decided to play Final Fight 2: Readjusted again. This time as Maki on Hard mode. I only used one continue this time. I am not touching Expert mode. I beat the game on Normal and Hard, so that's enough. I am not going through all that again to look at one extra ending screen.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Dying light 2 snuck another dlc story expansion out while was distracted by [REDACTED]~•°"DONOTπWATCH§THE¶°•~[REDACTED]e" so thought to catch up cos the setting of a hippie commie music festival gone wrong was too much temptation for my meek n feeble mind. Had a chuckle at the first new zombie type of a country singer welding their own intestines as a cowboy whip lol - innovation in zombie design is rare enough to be worth celebrating wherever they thrive.

uh no ffs not again, it's Dead Island 2, not Dying Light 2, always getting tripped up by this tweedle dum and tweedle dee of the videogame world!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Finished Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth.

I liked it, while it is basically "just" a Castlevania clone it has one particular mechanic that made it interesting in its own way.

You get Wind and Fire magic early on. You can switch between them, one is always active. You level up magic by landing hits (up to 3 levels), but it levels down whenever you get hit. When you reach level 3 with an active magic, you regen HP constantly. So if you're like me you'll always attack while the lowest level magic is active, then switch over to level 3 during brief respites to get your health back, then switch back whenever you're about to jump back in or get hit.

This becomes complicated with the introduction of enemies that only take damage when a specific magic is active, and AoE attacks you can nullify with the correct active magic, and barriers you can cross depending on what you have active, etc. But never to the point of where it becomes frustrating. It simply becomes a game of switching gears and trading off advantages.

The other thing I would note, as short as the game can be, is that it's excellently paced and keeps throwing new things your way to keep you engaged. Different kinds of hurdles, abilities, enemies, bosses, whatever. You're always a few rooms from something new. The pacing never really wavers. Although I did find the story beats got old and repetitive pretty fast.

The ending accounts for the fever dream narrative but I'm not convinced it was worth it.