What are you currently playing?

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You ready for Double Dragon Gaiden yet?
nah, I think i'm good with retro-pixely-brawlers. Or retro pixely anything.

I think I'm gonna give Indika a go next. Yes it's short story walking sim thing but I'm kinda in the mood for some artsy-fartsy nonsense and creep vibes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
nah, I think i'm good with retro-pixely-brawlers.

You're inner Double Dragon child and instincts demand it!/sarcasm.

Oh well, there's always next time.
I think I'm gonna give Indika a go next. Yes it's short story walking sim thing but I'm kinda in the mood for some artsy-fartsy nonsense and creep vibes.
Have fun!

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well I started Indika and I was digging it but then I got to a point where I knew I had to just hop over a ledge but the game wouldn't let me. Bug. (I confirmed against a youtube vid play-through). And Sony is notorious stingy on refunds.

fuck

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Spent some time at the Science Museum, where they have a permanent installation of playable game consoles going all the way back to first-gen. Got to play some old games on original hardware--

Manic Miner on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum; Golden Axe and Sonic 1 on a Sega Master System; Zool on a Commodore Amiga; Turtles IV on a SNES.

Last time I visited I did play some stuff on second-gen (as well as a Commodore 64). Good lord first and second-gen are unwieldy.

...Oh and new stuff too. Thousand Year Door remake & latest Guild Wars 2 release. Not at the museum obvs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Spent some time at the Science Museum, where they have a permanent installation of playable game consoles going all the way back to first-gen. Got to play some old games on original hardware--

Manic Miner on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum; Golden Axe and Sonic 1 on a Sega Master System; Zool on a Commodore Amiga; Turtles IV on a SNES.

Last time I visited I did play some stuff on second-gen (as well as a Commodore 64). Good lord first and second-gen are unwieldy.
Nice find.

I managed to get to Level 49 on Rhythm Tower mode for HF RUSH before dying. I'm still not a fan of the timer. Though that wasn't what killed me. I learned the best special attacks to use are the High Inch Punch and Power Cord. Both are cheap to use, and they destroy most shields and energy barriers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Magical Diary Horse Hall and Magical Diary Wolf Hall, which is the sequel, ish.

Which...indy game by someone that read Harry Potter and wanted to make their own version set in the US, only with better worldbuilding and MUCH better social politics.

Played them, (mostly the first) a bunch of times, but still good.
I remember liking Magical Diary Horse Hall, despite it feeling kinda railroady. Didn't play Wolf Hall.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So far at least Im enjoying Far Cry Primal. The Ubisoft hunting & Gathering as well as base building take center stage in this one, but I think it works much better if for no other reason than the context. The games story revolves around you rebuilding your clan & village so it feels more impactful than getting ordered around "cause reasons" by whatever wacky npc you're dealing with currently. You "feel" like helping people in Far Cry Primal, it reminds me a bit of Ghosts Of Tsushima in that way. The enemies are scum, not just faceless soldiers.

It is interesting though as I progress through the game and the tribe no longer needs me to hunt woodland creatures and small predators I kinda enjoy not killing unnecessarily. Just wandering around with my pet bear enjoying the atmosphere of the game. It doesn't feel overpopulated by broken procedurally generated landscapes and animals spawning in rocks and what not. At least not to the degree breakpoint & Far Cry 6 or environmental dumpster fires.

Theres a certain sense of "godliness" is many Ubisoft games because of the poorly throughout mechanics.

In Farcry 6 for instance damage is completely broken so if you're a competitive fps player its a breeze because everything in the game dies from one Headshot. In other games like The division Ubisoft lazily answers this problem by color coding toughness and making enemies bullet sponges.

Here the enemies, at least so far make sense. The game doesn't have microstats increases on weapons or armor or any of that treadmill garbage. You have a bow & arrow, spear etc with only a handful of meager upgrades. Tougher enemies are clearly bigger or have bone helmets. A woolly mammoth is tough to kill because its a fucking woolly mammoth.

Im only maybe 15% in. Im sure Im get bored of some if this, but at least the game isn't constantly hounding me to complete collectables or achievements like newer Ubisoft games. When Im done I can just finish the story and move on.

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Currently playing on my M1 MBA:

• Minecraft, online server with some friends.
  • Hades, great fun trying to escape the depths of the underworld.
  • Tunic, just started this yesterday but seems rewarding and the aesthetic is spot on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I decided to play Final Fight Guy Arcade Remix one more time, and play as the title character on Expert Mode. I managed to beat it with 2 lives left, non continues, and beat my high score. I got 2, 127, 200 pts. I am never doing that again.

I am playing Soldier Blade right now. Trying to do a no continue run.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm up to 35 hours of Balatro. I'm sure to the average roommate I'd look like an idiot, obsessing over what looks like solitaire on a CRTV. At least my girl asked what the hell was up with it, so I got to bore her explaining the rules about accruing mult for my chips before she returned to her yaoi smut.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm up to 35 hours of Balatro. I'm sure to the average roommate I'd look like an idiot, obsessing over what looks like solitaire on a CRTV. At least my girl asked what the hell was up with it, so I got to bore her explaining the rules about accruing mult for my chips before she returned to her yaoi smut.
I hear wedding bell ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I remember liking Magical Diary Horse Hall, despite it feeling kinda railroady. Didn't play Wolf Hall.
Wolf Hall is very similar, but with updated graphics and more complicated dungeons. As well as new story, which is kinda but not quite compatible with the original.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did a 1CC run of Final Fight (Arcade) as Guy. I've been playing HF Rush and DmC back to back as well. I am almost done with Soldier Blade.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Finished Indika. It's a trip. Definitely one of those games that isn't much of a game per se but I was totally in the mood for. Definitely the themes of r/atheist or something but anyone expecting philosophical depth from video games is only kidding themselves (much like Indika herself hahah!). The puzzles are simple but a couple are clever and the vibes are for real.
I would highly recommend it on deep discount or for when it appears on any subscription service you're subscribed to and you have an evening or two to for yourself and the little devil on your shoulder.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Finished the expedition in No Man's Sky, its neat but there are a good amount of annoying 'find the thing' quests, but thats not uncommon for No Man's Sky expeditions. The rewards are neat.

Nightmare kart also finally released on steam, its pretty cool, but also very jank, the aesthetics are fantastic and the base gameplay is pretty solid. But the ai is pretty bad at times and the controls are like Mario Kart, but somehow confusing, they aren't complicated, but for some reason I just can't seem to grasp them very well. Might just be because its been a bit since I used a controller and I want to play it like Forza, but it uses face buttons for gas, boost and break.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Welp! I'm done with Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins. As engaging as the gamplay is (probably the Knight, the Lancer and the Red Mage classes were my favorite), I think I had enough of it. No post-game or DLC for me this time.

So next game in the list... ah. Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth. Let's see how they portray the Nibelheim incident and Sephiroth's identity crisis gone horribly wrong in this version...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished my 1cc run of Final Fight 2 Readjusted. I'm playing Contra Hard Corps. The patch version that was made by the fans. Where it acts more like the Japanese version. Where you take three hits and you die. Makes the game so much more fun and manageable.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Bought and downloaded Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and was really excited to play the universally-agreed-upon greatest Splinter Cell title again after damn near 20 years. Then I remembered: my Xbox is in our sunroom, y'know, the room where there's lot of SUN? Ah well, at least I'll have something to play when I inexorably wake up at 2-3am as I have been these past several months.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Final Fight 2 Readjusted again. This time I did a 1CC Hard Mode Run as Maki. I managed to better and kept most of my lives. I didn't beat my first place high score. Haggar breaks the scoring system, if you know what attacks to keep using. Her having the ability to wall jump helps. She is given way more opportunities to use her special ability compared to Guy in Final Fight (SNES). She has almost as much opportunities as the arcade version of Final Fight. I am not doing Carlos, because I don't find him fun to use and his special ability with knives don't factor much, because weapons barely spawn in. Making his useless 95% of the time, and is a lame Cody.